Has David Neitz reached the end of the road?

demonique

A big fat NO.

Neitz's still got plenty in the tank but he's made to look worse atm by poor delivery.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...aka Reality check. On more than a coule occasions yesterday Neeta gave NO second effort,(sometimes not much of a first!! ) in fact just stood there lamely, not attacking or harrassing the opponent. Now I cant imagine him having no spirit to do so... so I can only deduce he's not 100%. I think we may all need to prepare for an unpalatable announcement come the last game.

He will get his 300 ( deservedly ) will become an instant legend ( even more than current ) and what will he have to play on for ? A cup ? not in the next few years , highly unlikely.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...aka Reality check. On more than a coule occasions yesterday Neeta gave NO second effort,(sometimes not much of a first!! ) in fact just stood there lamely, not attacking or harrassing the opponent. Now I cant imagine him having no spirit to do so... so I can only deduce he's not 100%. I think we may all need to prepare for an unpalatable announcement come the last game.

He will get his 300 ( deservedly ) will become an instant legend ( even more than current ) and what will he have to play on for ? A cup ? not in the next few years , highly unlikely.

Quite right. The unfortunate fact is that his body won't allow him to play a key position forward role anymore. I would still like him to play next year because he still has something to give (probably as a tall forward pocket and certainly given our leadership vacuum) but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he gave it away at the end of the year.

Melbourne skipper David Neitz has confirmed he will play on next year in a bid to help turn around the team's fortunes and lead the club back up the ladder.

The Demons veteran, who has captained the club since 2000, said despite being out of contract he has no intention of hanging up the boots just yet.

"(I will be) looking to go on, I'm out of contract at the end of this year but my plans at this stage are to go on and play for at least another year but I'll have to sit down with the footy club and discuss that," Neitz told the media on Monday.

"At this stage I'm keen and the club's keen so we'll work out contractual arrangements and go again next year and hopefully have a lot better year than we are having this year."

The 2002 Coleman medallist, who is due to play his 300th game in Round 20, did not rule out playing on beyond next season but won't make that decision until a later date.

Can things change so dramatically in the space of a couple of weeks - I guess they can!

Quite right. The unfortunate fact is that his body won't allow him to play a key position forward role anymore. I would still like him to play next year because he still has something to give (probably as a tall forward pocket and certainly given our leadership vacuum) but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he gave it away at the end of the year.

Hell of a lot of emotive comments in this thread.

The bare facts are:

1. based on last 3 games Neita should not have been playing - clearly underdone or injured. (observed from front row against Kangas)

2. lack of ability to chase in forward line has contributed to the heavy losses (esp against Kangas)

3. As other injured senior players have been put out to pasture for next year the only reason Neita can have been playing in last few weeks is because the 300th is pending.

Neita would not be happy with his contribution in the last 3 matches or the results.

Asking whether his time is up does not equate to "bagging the skipper". Based on last few weeks it is a reasonable question which Neita himself may be asking. The end can sometimes come very quickly (ask Kouta)

Ignoring all the theories and possible motivations as the results in next 4 weeks matter very little in a very foegetable syear for MFC it makes sense for Neita to get his 300th if possible this year as now if ony 2 games way and hopefully at MCG. Will get the milestone out of the way and leave Neita free to decide whether to play on or not without issue.

However would not want to see him selected purely to get to the 300th if injured any more and spending most of the game on the bench. Would not be fitting way to reach the milestone.

Heres a very simple question then

If not fit why play and perpetuate your injury? you wouldnt would you.. unless...you had serious reservations about playing beyond the year.

If not fit why play and perpetuate your injury? you wouldnt would you.. unless...you had serious reservations about playing beyond the year.

yep

Yes, lets put emotion to one side and put down a few facts:

1. He is clearly unfit at the moment and his playing future should NOT be judged on the past few games.

2. He had an injury free pre-season and hurt himself against Hawthorn and has not been the same all year. This could happen to anyone regardless of their age.

3. However, in spite of that prior to his knee injury in the Essendon game his legs were good and he was getting good distance with his kicks. This is always a sign as to how his body is travelling. It was only 8 weeks ago he kicked that towering 60m plus goal against Adelaide to seal the game.

4. His hand/eye co-ordination is still intact after taking two great marks in the last quarter against Mal Michael (Essendon). He did this with a broker finger. This was only 5 weeks ago.

Now for the emotive part. He is a champion no doubt and champions should go out on their own terms and should be left to make their own decisions as to when their time is up. North have done it for Archer, Essendon have done it for Hird and Collingwood are doing it for Buckley (who incidentally hasn't played a BLOODY GAME ALL YEAR). At least Neita is getting out on the park.

He'll come good because he is a champion!

It still begs a question ...well for me...if unfit...why play ??

Nearly every other player in the team that has serious injury worries...or a niggly that wouldnt go away wihtout longer rest ; has been mothballed to some degree or other. So why hasnt Neeta ??

Hell of a lot of emotive comments in this thread.

However would not want to see him selected purely to get to the 300th if injured any more and spending most of the game on the bench. Would not be fitting way to reach the milestone.

Not sure whether you meant to quote my post when you made the emotive comments statement as I agree with most of what you have written.

The last point I don't agree with though. If he is not going to play next year, I don't care whether he has to turn up in a wheelchair to sit on the bench as long as he plays his 300th. It would not be fitting for him to finish before he has played 300 games and it would be a historic first for the club. Again, if he is going to hang the boots up at season's end, this is at least as important as anything else to be gained out of the next 4 rounds.

It still begs a question ...well for me...if unfit...why play ??

Nearly every other player in the team that has serious injury worries...or a niggly that wouldnt go away wihtout longer rest ; has been mothballed to some degree or other. So why hasnt Neeta ??

Exactly! Same applies to Robbo (who has had dicky knee all year!) and Wheats whose shoulder is not 100%. Priority should be getting them righ for 2008. Kangas are showing the value of that approach this time last year.

Exactly! Same applies to Robbo (who has had dicky knee all year!) and Wheats whose shoulder is not 100%. Priority should be getting them righ for 2008. Kangas are showing the value of that approach this time last year.

We certainly have a strange mentality towards these things at Melbourne. Im really starting to wonder a little if there's anyone left in the football dept with a clue !!

Why not play Warnock for Wheats ? as if any outcome really matters. Bring Dunn in for Neeta..is this all just a bit too logical?

If Neitz is fit then he should retire at the end of the year, but there is no doubt that Neitz is injured and playing in a bid to save Riley's career. Riley is a disgrace and should be sacked immediately. Since he has taken over the job it has all been about the selfish Riley. He obviously thinks a 50% Neitz is better than a fully fit Dunn or Garland and he knows that if he doesn't win games his career is over. He is all about winning games instead of looking for the future and playing the young kids. Playing the hobbling Neitz and Robbo when they should be wrapped in cotton wool for the rest of the year is a joke. Neitz should be playing his 300th game next year when the season matters not just to try and help Riley keep his job. Jamar and P.Johnson are playing for their careers so what does Riley do he plays the 30 year old Holland as our 2nd ruckman against Port unbelieveable. He elavates Bode with 5 games to go and every game counts for Bode so what does Riley do he keeps him at Sandy how retarded is that. Brown, Godfrey, Ward, Holland, Ferguson, Bizzell and Pickett continue to get games in front of Garland, Warnock,the Johnson's and Dunn. Roos is 100% right about Riley playing veteran's ahead of the youngsters.

Stan Alves really ripped into everybody at the club including the supporters. He said he was disgusted that he had worn the jumper of such a pathetic team. Why doesn't he put his money where his mouth is and coach the club for the last 4 weeks and try and get them to play with the spirit he and everyone thinks they should have and start playing the young kids. Riley clearly is not getting the best out of the team there is no one that wants him here so it would be in the best interests of the club to sack him or for him to resign. Alves has coached a team before to a grand final so he knows what to do and it's only 4 weeks so there is no excuse for him to say that he is too busy because it is only a short term arrangement. He quickly jumps on to Melbourne when there is a good story like Pettard getting the rising star nomination but when we are suddenly a basket case he is nowhere to be seen. Time to put up or shut up Alves.

If Neitz is fit then he should retire at the end of the year, but there is no doubt that Neitz is injured and playing in a bid to save Riley's career. Riley is a disgrace and should be sacked immediately. Since he has taken over the job it has all been about the selfish Riley. He obviously thinks a 50% Neitz is better than a fully fit Dunn or Garland and he knows that if he doesn't win games his career is over. He is all about winning games instead of looking for the future and playing the young kids. Playing the hobbling Neitz and Robbo when they should be wrapped in cotton wool for the rest of the year is a joke. Neitz should be playing his 300th game next year when the season matters not just to try and help Riley keep his job. Jamar and P.Johnson are playing for their careers so what does Riley do he plays the 30 year old Holland as our 2nd ruckman against Port unbelieveable. He elavates Bode with 5 games to go and every game counts for Bode so what does Riley do he keeps him at Sandy how retarded is that. Brown, Godfrey, Ward, Holland, Ferguson, Bizzell and Pickett continue to get games in front of Garland, Warnock,the Johnson's and Dunn. Roos is 100% right about Riley playing veteran's ahead of the youngsters.

Stan Alves really ripped into everybody at the club including the supporters. He said he was disgusted that he had worn the jumper of such a pathetic team. Why doesn't he put his money where his mouth is and coach the club for the last 4 weeks and try and get them to play with the spirit he and everyone thinks they should have and start playing the young kids. Riley clearly is not getting the best out of the team there is no one that wants him here so it would be in the best interests of the club to sack him or for him to resign. Alves has coached a team before to a grand final so he knows what to do and it's only 4 weeks so there is no excuse for him to say that he is too busy because it is only a short term arrangement. He quickly jumps on to Melbourne when there is a good story like Pettard getting the rising star nomination but when we are suddenly a basket case he is nowhere to be seen. Time to put up or shut up Alves.

100% correct.

This is absolutely correct and so obvious. He will get his 300th and retire. Nothing else makes sense.

Oh great idea! Lets also sack the interim coach! Would we be the first team in history to sack 2 coaches in the one year? You must be an ex St.Kilda or Richmond supporter to suggest something like that.

We certainly have a strange mentality towards these things at Melbourne. Im really starting to wonder a little if there's anyone left in the football dept with a clue !!

Why not play Warnock for Wheats ? as if any outcome really matters. Bring Dunn in for Neeta..is this all just a bit too logical?

Warnock has been injured might explain your first suggestion!

Unfortunately Dunn isn't a KPP, he is more of a flanker.

It doesnt really matter..though point taken.. Dunn has played as a CHF.Put him there Juice as FF. or swap them at half time; its all just anexperience. Might as well throw them all on ...line them up ...give them a job to do..and let themat it. The results are academic at best. Warnock is subject to fitness..but he ought to be near.

It doesnt really matter..though point taken.. Dunn has played as a CHF.Put him there Juice as FF. or swap them at half time; its all just anexperience. Might as well throw them all on ...line them up ...give them a job to do..and let themat it. The results are academic at best. Warnock is subject to fitness..but he ought to be near.

By playing all the kids as you suggest runs the risk of us getting a belting every week which is virtually happening now. That in itself is short term pain I am prepared to bear but it may just damage the confidence of these kids for next year. And what happens if say we play Freo at Freo in a couple of weeks and they intimate us like they did West Coast and we have no on field leaders to support them. Like leading lambs to the slaughter. Sure bring in the kids but it must be balanced with senior players like Neitz, Holland, Brown etc.

You hear this lambs to the slaughter trotted out all the time. whats happeng now. ? We're sure lighting the fires of the AFL arent we?

if Neeta isnt fit..he isnt fit.. would you rather stick him out there, propped up, or 'non-pained' up !! what really does it achieve?

even if you wanted to play all the kids...youc ant really at teh same time because of positional requirements but you can load you team so they're all getting some time. The likes of Holland etc are still likely to be around in these games. Not everyone ISNT going to play.

Another myth, in my view.. the shatterig of confidence !! They all playing with teams that have more than a fair smattering of AFL lads in opposition. Its not Christians to the Lions, but arguably a step up for them no dount. But its always going to happen some time. it hasnt hurt the likes of Collingowod etc to play a handful of them at a time. They stood up, to varying degrees. why shouldnt ours/ And if they dont..they dont..So what !! Not all the kids are going to make it through anyway.

We arent in the position of luxury. We're beig made to look stupid anyway. we are th elaughing stock along aside the Tiges. We can either do something or hide in a shell of failing medocrity.

I know what id rather do.

You hear this lambs to the slaughter trotted out all the time. whats happeng now. ? We're sure lighting the fires of the AFL arent we?

if Neeta isnt fit..he isnt fit.. would you rather stick him out there, propped up, or 'non-pained' up !! what really does it achieve?

even if you wanted to play all the kids...youc ant really at teh same time because of positional requirements but you can load you team so they're all getting some time. The likes of Holland etc are still likely to be around in these games. Not everyone ISNT going to play.

Another myth, in my view.. the shatterig of confidence !! They all playing with teams that have more than a fair smattering of AFL lads in opposition. Its not Christians to the Lions, but arguably a step up for them no dount. But its always going to happen some time. it hasnt hurt the likes of Collingowod etc to play a handful of them at a time. They stood up, to varying degrees. why shouldnt ours/ And if they dont..they dont..So what !! Not all the kids are going to make it through anyway.

We arent in the position of luxury. We're beig made to look stupid anyway. we are th elaughing stock along aside the Tiges. We can either do something or hide in a shell of failing medocrity.

I know what id rather do.

I don't think we are that far apart in our views. I am saying play the kids but balance it with mature players. Collingwood are winning games so confidence is high. We are losing games so confidence is low and that can have an impact on players still trying to find their way in the AFL. Don't underestimate the power of confidence.

This thread was about David Neitz and whilst I agree he is not fit he could be playing for one or all of the following reasons:

1. He wants to get his 300 this year and get it out the way so it is not hanging over him during the summer break.

2. He is going to retire at the end of the year.

3. He wants to be out there to lead the team during such bad times and watch over the kids.

Personally I think it is 1 & 3 and he will not retire as I still think he has lots to offer.

I concur re his reasons..or our take on it. He is no doubt the type to want to shepherd his flock. For whatever, the thought of the 300th must loom heavy ( whilst exciting also ) and he'll be probably glad when al the fuss is over. I see that for sure.

I wasnt really thinking for a long whiles that he would retire at the end of this year, its just a nagging suspicion. One possibly answered by your thoughts of him man-mentoring on fiield etc.

Id be happy as larry to see a fit Neeta take to the park next year. Stil have the strange foreboding regarding this though. I suppose time will tell.