• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Frustration

BrownlowBruce

Amazing that some of you condone what Davey did!

No point in kicking four goals every three or four weeks after serving a suspension. The fundamental rule that is followed by successful teams is player and team discipline. Brock McLean cost us a goal against Collingwood due to lack of discipline. These players are young and will learn but without discipline you will NOT have success!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. In the one game of mixed netball I've played, I played WD in a "tagging" role on this chick that was everywhere. The whole game I got punched, elbowed and scragged behind play, this girl meant serious business. I felt like Simon Godfrey. Netball doesn't get enough credit on footy sites I don't reckon.

I will also echo these sentiments regarding the use of netball as a put down for football......

I played all women's throughout school and mixed after that, and had my nose broken, while a friend had one of her ribs fractured both from an elbow.

But beyond that kind of rough stuff, it is a very hard and tough sport that does get kicked rather obnoxiously by a lot of footy fans.

Brock mclean gives away silly free kicks...

"good to see the passion"

any other member of the MFC does somthin similar....

its a sin...

get ur facts straight..... ur all biased

When Brock threw the ball away in the Collingwood game I was ropeable, more so than I was Saturday after Davey's effort on Selwood I suppose because I know our season is over and Aaron is repeat silly offender. However I imagine as Brock is now leading the chorus against these stupid acts he has got the message and I trust Aaron will also.

Our expectations of all players in this regard should be the same.

When Brock threw the ball away in the Collingwood game I was ropeable, more so than I was Saturday after Davey's effort on Selwood I suppose because I know our season is over and Aaron is repeat silly offender. However I imagine as Brock is now leading the chorus against these stupid acts he has got the message and I trust Aaron will also.

Our expectations of all players in this regard should be the same.

Throwing the ball away won't get you suspended.

Punching an opponent in the guts, will.

That is the main difference.

Brock stuffed up when he mouthed off and got paid the 50 against him, but his initial effort was hardly even a free kick. 9 out of 10 umpires wouldn't think twice about calling for the boundary throw-in.

What Davey did will ALWAYS be a free kick, and has now cost him 2 weeks, which is great considering we have an abundance of replacements! :rolleyes:

its amazing how you two just love to try and dig up another fight. do you sit at home and talk about how you can provoke another argument over the family dinner? this thread has nothing to do with brock mclean BB, and the incident i am assuming you are referring too (brock throwing the ball away) was completely different to the davey issue. davey punched someone in the guts. in front of the umpire. you could probably compare brock to mcenroe if you want, but not davey's example.

and bandwagon, again there is a difference between punching a player on the field and drinking on your night off. sylvias drinking affected only himself. and he had made a choice to go out drinking hard. maybe not a great choice, but the circumstances are completely different to davey reacting to a tagger by punching him and then hitting another player because he cant control his temper.

Yes Deanox we do, we clearly are such sad case losers that we have nothing better to do- wow you are like so clever!

I forgot Sylvia plays for himself, doesnt affect anyone else you say? Where do I sign up to be a member of Sylvias club then??

Did I say what Aaron did was smart? No it was bloody stupid as was Sylvia

Guest redandbluethruandthru

Hell our season is shot so i say next week every player should smack their roo counterpart in the mouth then kick them in the balls. If our entire team gets suspended then I won't have to see another pathetic quarter like last weeks opening against the lions. Maybe a few of our players need to have a bit of a smack in their faces and realise that footy is a team sport and help their teammates out.

This is merely wriiten in frustartion. Davey pull your head in and act like the champion we all really know you can be.

Yes Deanox we do, we clearly are such sad case losers that we have nothing better to do- wow you are like so clever!

I forgot Sylvia plays for himself, doesnt affect anyone else you say? Where do I sign up to be a member of Sylvias club then??

Did I say what Aaron did was smart? No it was bloody stupid as was Sylvia

syliva plays for the mfc. i assume you are already a member. at night on the queens birthday public holiday the mfc players were allowed to go out drinking. they were effectively on holiday. do you drink? i assume that if you are responsible you won't go getting smashed the on a week night when you have work the next day, but on the weekend, or when you are on holidays you might occasionally have a few too many. football players dont have a choice to drink normally because their job requires them not too. it was probably the first drink sylvia had had since pre season, or even last year. sylvias drinking did not effect his performance on the field, and it did not effect his teammates. davey punched a bloke. do you punch people from work? i assume not.

i'm not saying you said aaron was smart, im saying that sylvias decision wasn't illegal and it didnt affect anyone but himself...

i don't know why you think you're right, cos clearly you're wrong. again.

do you punch people from work? i assume not.

I quite often want to... does that count? :lol:

Mind you, if I ever so much as threatened to do that in my job, I'd get sacked (despite having real grounds to sue for provocation!). Davey is lucky that in his job, he only gets a two week suspension.

he did wat he did....

as for handling a tag..... looks like he handled it pretty well.

as for those suggest davey take his agression out on gettin the ball legally... look at him... hes a boy playin a mans game.

He let it out... and finished the game well.

im not glad he did a stupid thing...

im glad he didnt back down... he wasnt affraid of the man...

if there was no place in the game for this... there wouldnt be a tribunal sysytem...

a team should not go without a suspended player for a whole year..

well disilpined?

or just a pack of weak under performers.......

Well, without wanting to put my head in the lions mouth here........

I am not sure thumping the tagger in the guts and subsequently getting suspended is handling the tag all that well :P !!!

Well, without wanting to put my head in the lions mouth here........

I am not sure thumping the tagger in the guts and subsequently getting suspended is handling the tag all that well :P !!!

I think he means he handled the tag well after the punch, by kicking 4 goals.

At least thats what I hope he meant :unsure:

im not sure i agree with this either. handling a tag too me means not letting the tagger get under your skin and still performing. the tagger got to davey, davey got dragged, and came back on and kicked goals when the game was over and the pressure was off.

and regarding the comment about 'letting it off' i would much see him let it off by throwing the ball at the fence ala brock, or mouthing off at an opposition player (not the umpire) than punching a bloke and missing two weeks. punch the ground, kick the fence, yell a bit to fire ourself up, but punch some one in the guts???

im not sure i agree with this either. handling a tag too me means not letting the tagger get under your skin and still performing. the tagger got to davey, davey got dragged, and came back on and kicked goals when the game was over and the pressure was off.

and regarding the comment about 'letting it off' i would much see him let it off by throwing the ball at the fence ala brock, or mouthing off at an opposition player (not the umpire) than punching a bloke and missing two weeks. punch the ground, kick the fence, yell a bit to fire ourself up, but punch some one in the guts???

sooo if they get under ur skin ur still dont handle the tag..... davey could have got 30 touches and 4 goals and still had selwood get under his skin in the end it means nothing when u perform...

blah blah blah pressure was off? whos fault is that his tagger, obviously he couldnt handle the taggim job very well .. bit short of air? maybe from a blow to the guts....

u cant take credit away from statistics.

no offence u seemed baffled by someone punching somone..... earth to DEANOX it happes all the time....i wanna see a mean melbourne not some wimpy players who throw the ball at the fence or punch the ground......... i dont want to see it each week. the occasional lapse in anger is part of the game............... like i said its FOOTBALL

Throwing the ball away won't get you suspended.

Punching an opponent in the guts, will.

That is the main difference.

Brock stuffed up when he mouthed off and got paid the 50 against him, but his initial effort was hardly even a free kick. 9 out of 10 umpires wouldn't think twice about calling for the boundary throw-in.

What Davey did will ALWAYS be a free kick, and has now cost him 2 weeks, which is great considering we have an abundance of replacements! :rolleyes:

Was actually BB making the comparison Jaded and I don't for one minute believe what Brock did was anywhere near as bad as what Aaron did. Just outlining what I think our expectations should be in relation to discipline and my personal response in a big game we were about to win as opposed to a match I could already see we were going to loose.

Stupid topic really. We would all prefer the players take out their frustrations on the leather and their opponents in a LEGAL manner. :angry:

i wanna see a mean melbourne not some wimpy players who throw the ball at the fence or punch the ground......... i dont want to see it each week. the occasional lapse in anger is part of the game............... like i said its FOOTBALL

True BB, anger is most definitely part of the game, therefore so is being able to control it or channel it, even when provoked........

And frankly I would rather see a respected but uncompromising, unrelenting and tough football side in The Demons.

However throwing indiscriminate whacks into the guts of your opposition does not make you that.

I understand that yes it happens, but what Davey did does not make you tougher, and it will usually end up costing your side at the Tribunal.

sooo if they get under ur skin ur still dont handle the tag..... davey could have got 30 touches and 4 goals and still had selwood get under his skin in the end it means nothing when u perform...

blah blah blah pressure was off? whos fault is that his tagger, obviously he couldnt handle the taggim job very well .. bit short of air? maybe from a blow to the guts....

u cant take credit away from statistics.

no offence u seemed baffled by someone punching somone..... earth to DEANOX it happes all the time....i wanna see a mean melbourne not some wimpy players who throw the ball at the fence or punch the ground......... i dont want to see it each week. the occasional lapse in anger is part of the game............... like i said its FOOTBALL

pressure was off because the game was already lost, nothing to do with selwood who beat him pants down in the early stages of the game, which coincidently was when the game was there to be won or lost. davey could have had 100 touches in junk time but we got belted, it didnt matter. i want him to get the ball and kick goals when we need him too, not when the stats are meaningless.

i know i use stats on this site to support arguments regularly but what you say regarding stats is ridiculous. of course stats lie. they are not always accurate, and are only an indicator. in this case the stats don't reflect the fact that davey got smashed when the our team needed his spark to get a lift.

once again, and apparently every poster other than you agrees, punching someone off the ball unprovoked is not tough. maybe he was pushed and scragged. to me thats not justification to punch someone. he did the wrong think, looked like a goose, and i guarantee you for the next couple of years at least opposition players will get stuck into him at every opportunity trying to provoke a reaction. he stuffed up and has to spend 2 weeks out. even you cant disagree with that.

Guest fatty
of course stats lie. they are not always accurate, and are only an indicator. in this case the stats don't reflect the fact that davey got smashed when the our team needed his spark to get a lift.

Stats never lie, Deanox. Its just that they can be meaningless in certain situations, which in Davey's case, I agree.

But good on him for giving his opponent a thump. At least he got rubbed out on a proper charge and not some vague "unduly rough play" beat up.

By the way, as far as I'm aware, Sylvia being drunk in a public place is illegal.

Stats never lie, Deanox. Its just that they can be meaningless in certain situations, which in Davey's case, I agree.

But good on him for giving his opponent a thump. At least he got rubbed out on a proper charge and not some vague "unduly rough play" beat up.

By the way, as far as I'm aware, Sylvia being drunk in a public place is illegal.

fair point about the wording on the stats. they dont lie but they can lure one into a false impression.

and for the record sylvia wasnt in a public place, he was drunk in a licensed premises which is also illegal, but you can get drunk and then leave for home, no problems there. out of interest, can anyone find where it says sylvia was drunk or passed out? because personally i can only remember reading he was drinking with didak. any confirmation?

Guest fatty
and for the record sylvia wasnt in a public place, he was drunk in a licensed premises

I'm splitting hairs but I think you'd find the licensed premises would be deemed a "public place" if a charge was laid.

There were many newspaper reports confirming Sylvia was intoxicated and even intimated that had he not fallen asleep would have also been in the car with Didak. Mind you, its pure speculation.

from The Age July 4, 2007 by John Sylvester

"THE luckiest drunken footballer in Australia is not Alan Didak, whose close encounter with the Hells Angels could have been life-threatening as well as career-threatening, but his day-time opponent and night-time drinking mate, Melbourne's Colin Sylvia.

Even the sight of naked women dancing in the King Street strip club Spearmint Rhino was not enough to keep Sylvia awake. Fatigued from a hard game of football on June 11 and a harder night of drinking, he slowly descended into alcohol-induced unconsciousness.

Drunk and asleep, Sylvia was gently evicted by bouncers without incident."

Drunk and asleep, Sylvia was gently evicted by bouncers without incident.

That quote always makes me giggle :P ........

But while I definitely think that falling asleep (read: passing out) in public due to being totally sloshed is never recommended and is hardly being condoned by anyone around here, it is the "without incident" part of that quote that seems important here for some reason that completely escapes me now, sorry.

But that could be because I continue to be unsure why there is yet another comparison between the two incidents, one being an aggressive on-field foul involving Davey, while Sylvia's adventures, while not great, is way off field. While both are generally regarded as mistakes they are really not closely related.

pressure was off because the game was already lost, nothing to do with selwood who beat him pants down in the early stages of the game, which coincidently was when the game was there to be won or lost. davey could have had 100 touches in junk time but we got belted, it didnt matter. i want him to get the ball and kick goals when we need him too, not when the stats are meaningless.

i know i use stats on this site to support arguments regularly but what you say regarding stats is ridiculous. of course stats lie. they are not always accurate, and are only an indicator. in this case the stats don't reflect the fact that davey got smashed when the our team needed his spark to get a lift.

once again, and apparently every poster other than you agrees, punching someone off the ball unprovoked is not tough. maybe he was pushed and scragged. to me thats not justification to punch someone. he did the wrong think, looked like a goose, and i guarantee you for the next couple of years at least opposition players will get stuck into him at every opportunity trying to provoke a reaction. he stuffed up and has to spend 2 weeks out. even you cant disagree with that.

im not sayin its tough.... im sayin im glad he did it. now get that thru ur head before u reply again.

its an agressive aproach and i like it in moderation.

pressure was off... im sick of u useing stats in ur favour....

JUST BECAUSE U DONT AGREE WITH HIM HITTING A GUY, doesnt mean u can say his stats are irrelevant cheap or junk time stats.

if it wasnt for the inncident I KNOW for a fact ud be saying but he did finish the game out well....

, i wanna see some agression im seeing it... sure its not great... but atleast its there. and if it takes a player to be rubbed out ...good. riley asked for players to back davey up in similar circumastances..... and its true . .. WE NEED AGRESSION

pickett wouldnt have allowed it.

Guest fatty
But that could be because I continue to be unsure why there is yet another comparison between the two incidents, one being an aggressive on-field foul involving Davey, while Sylvia's adventures, while not great, is way off field. While both are generally regarded as mistakes they are really not closely related.

I agree that the two incidents are totally unrelated and why the comparison was made is beyond me. I was just trying to correct an earlier claim that what Sylvia did was okay becasue it wasn't illegal. But I'm being technical only.

For what its worth, I have no issue with either of the incidents although Colin had got himself into a potentially dangerous situation which was avoided "without incident".

As far as Davey is concerned, I'm glad he stood up for himself.