The Jones Boy

Still Waiting

There is talent to burn at this club in respect to the younger brigade,but lets get a hold of ourselves. We are 2-9 for christ sake, on the back of 2 good wins!! Are we simply going to forget the previous 9 weeks (injuries aside) and allow average performances to continue?

I want the young guys playing week in week out, I think this has helped Port (who sent the oldies off for early season ending sugeries) earlier this year and can do no harm to allow force the older guys who might be coasting a little to truly fight for a spot in the 22, instead of being a walk up start.

Jones - Will take over the roal of McDonnald i believe. In and under player who i rate better than Jimmy Bartel. He has the speed, body type and decision making skills to take him all the way

Dunn - A future CHF who I believe will drive melb to a premiership. I love this kid a hell of a lot and feel with the likes of bate and dunn playing CHF its time to give Miller the boot

Sylvia - Unsure as yet. He played ok in the collingwood game and would be as good as Jones if it wornt for injury. I think unfortunatly he will never be that good due to the multiple OP problems

Bate - Wonderful kick with good marking skills. Reads the ball very well but is not suited to the midfield. CHF or half forward pocket will be his position i hope

McLean - Nothing needs to be said

Frawley - 3rd game and he has shown he can easily shrug a tackle. Backs himself which i love but is not over confident or cocky (unlike Jarad Brennon from Bris). Will hopefully play a career at CHB.

Our 2010 lineup:

B: Bell Carroll ?

HB: Rivers Frawley ?

C: Moloney Jones Green

HF: Bate Dunn Sylvia

F: Davey ? Bruce

R: ? McLean Johnstone

I.C: Godfrey, Warnock, Buckley, ?

We have 3 years to recruit more players

Jones - Will take over the roal of McDonnald i believe. In and under player who i rate better than Jimmy Bartel. He has the speed, body type and decision making skills to take him all the way

Dunn - A future CHF who I believe will drive melb to a premiership. I love this kid a hell of a lot and feel with the likes of bate and dunn playing CHF its time to give Miller the boot

Bate - Wonderful kick with good marking skills. Reads the ball very well but is not suited to the midfield. CHF or half forward pocket will be his position i hope

Frawley - 3rd game and he has shown he can easily shrug a tackle. Backs himself which i love but is not over confident or cocky (unlike Jarad Brennon from Bris). Will hopefully play a career at CHB.

Bartel's a star. Still a way 2 go but his on his way.

However I seriously believe Jones is twice the player Jmac is (no disrespect) but he's stronger, more agressive and likely to stick a hard tackle. He racks them up and looks to have the ability to carry the midfield by himself ala brocky.

Frawley can do what he likes for the first 10 games n i'll still love him but after that, he'll need to play smarter and not try to take on everyone n break free.

Bate will be a top player in 2-3 years.

Occo...you cant be serious having godders in your 22 in 2010? i am a fan of our hard working godfrey, but lets be serious...if we are ever going to be contenders, he wont be in the team and not even on the bench...

If you are right and he is at the club in 2010, i hope he is not getting a game, because that would mean the team has been ravaged by injury ala 2007.

Good luck to you Simon Godfrey, every year you play in the AFL is testiment to your good old fashioned determination

Occo...you cant be serious having godders in your 22 in 2010? i am a fan of our hard working godfrey, but lets be serious...if we are ever going to be contenders, he wont be in the team and not even on the bench...

If you are right and he is at the club in 2010, i hope he is not getting a game, because that would mean the team has been ravaged by injury ala 2007.

Good luck to you Simon Godfrey, every year you play in the AFL is testiment to your good old fashioned determination

Godfrey is the next captain of the Melbourne football club. Mark my words. :wub:

But seriously, though. He can keep doing the job he's doing now for an indefinate period, and does actually seem to be improving. He might never play a full season again (only 2003 so far) and might not even get ten games a season playing as a depth player. But bizarrely, I don't have a problem with him being on the list. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty because I used to abuse the television every time he came on...

I'd puke if he was taking away spots from players like Bartram and Petterd, though.

It's crass, but he's a dependable/expendable back-up.

Jones is a tennaged second year player who leads by example. 'Nuff said?

Our 2010 lineup:

Where are Bartram and Petterd?

Wheats? Robertson? PJ?

CJ even ?

as said above petterd bartram?

and id slot miller in at bates position and put bate on the I/C

do you think that in 3 years miller will be our starting CHF while bate starts on the interchange?

to he honest.... if prefer bate in the midfield....

and rotated as a forward....

he has been very good up forward the last few weeks tho...

but ud think miller would have to be in that side if he is still with us in 2010 do u not?

to he honest.... if prefer bate in the midfield....

and rotated as a forward....

he has been very good up forward the last few weeks tho...

but ud think miller would have to be in that side if he is still with us in 2010 do u not?

Miller will not be playing for us in 3 years time.

Bate will be playing CHF forsure, not in the midfield. sticky hands and a goal sense are hard to come by.

2010:

Bell, Carrol, Whelan

Wheatley, Rivers, Pettard

Johnstone, Mclean, Green

Bruce, Bate, Sylvia

Davey, ???, Newton

????, Jones, Moloney

Int: Bartram, PJ, Dunn, Frawley, Buckley, Garland, Hayes

notable players delisted or retired in the next 2-3 years: Neitz (32), Robertson (29), Yze (30), Brown (30), Ward (29), Pickett (30), Godfrey (27), Holland (30), Bizzel (30), White (30), Jamar (delisted), Ferguson (delisted), Neville (delisted), Warnock (delisted), C.Johnson (delisted), Miller (traded)

it's pretty obvious where our recruiting needs to focus in the next couple of years!

priority no 1) The next full forward. if not newton, then who? draft a couple, one with a high pick, one a speculative pick, so that we have 2-3 options and hopefully one makes it

priority no 2) The next no1 ruckman. if not neave and PJ then we need to draft one. PJ will always be a no2 ruckman and good around the grounds. next 2 years we must draft a couple, one with a high pick and one a lower pick so hopefully 1 will come through.

priority no 3) 1 or 2 extra midfielders. As in midfield midfielders (not flankers who can go thru the middle for a few minutes). we need a couple more quality ones but this shouldnt be hard to find via the draft.

priority no4) a goal sneak. if not Hayes or weetra, then draft a couple more.

i think bate will end up in the pavlich mould of, well he could play either but will play where the team needs him.

i dont think miller will be delisted. if we get a decent trade for him i think we'll take it. otherwise he will always be handy as depth. his height and size justify this. but honestly, you have seen miller paly, and you have seen bate play. who is going to be at CHF and who will be on the bench?

interesting that out of this of players retired/delisted/traded only 3 are in our definite best 22 atm

Neitz (32), Robertson (29), White (30),

while these five are border line.

Yze (30) Pickett (30), Godfrey (27), C.Johnson (delisted), Miller (traded)

yze deserves to leave on his own terms, but i think he either misses best 22 or scrapes in on the bench. pickett if firing is worth another season (persoanl preference), godfrey will stay for a couple as a reserve mid/tagger, he is having a good season. miller was discussed above. and unfortunately im not sure if CJ has it. i think he might need a new club.

when you look at this, our list is in pretty good shape really. the rest of the team nucleus will stay together for the next 5 years, with bruce, johnston and wheelan the next three to go. obviosuly we will have to draft to replace them.

the biggest problem is going to be that we are losing a swag of depth. holland, bizzel, brown, ward, ferguson, jamar and the five named above are the players who come in with injuries, but they play a number of games each a year. we need to make sure we draft players of this quality or better to take their spots, which might be why we hold CJ. will he mature later and hold down a key depth spot as a player with good disposal? otherwise we'll have a great 22 but nothing in the 23-30 slots...only kids