Christian Petracca

2 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I'm relieved that Petracca has released a statement - if nothing else than it gets the club out of the bad media spotlight for a bit.
However, I did find the statement both interesting and disappointing by what it didn't say.  It has been very carefully crafted.  For example:

• He says he loves his footy... but nowhere does he express his love for the club - where he has won a premierships and north smith with many of his closest mates.  Usually this type of statement would have something like "I love my footy, I love this club - the players, the staff, the fans..."
  • On his future he "remains committed to the red and blue" but it doesn't say for life or for his contract etc
  • He also says "I voiced my concerns as a leader, wanting better for our club, playing group, and fans."  Maybe this is accurate - maybe he was doing the hard thing and trying to generate the change needed.  But from the snippets in the media, this seems more revisionist history being written and (until there's reason to think otherwise) the reference to wanting better for the fans seems disingenuous.  

i guess we'll have to wait to hear what he actually says when he's interviewed about it all.

FWIW. My take is that he does love the club and fans. Without processing he is still trying to make his point and probably revels in the attention of being number 1 and being wanted. He has missed that over the last few months and things have festered. No doubt there was some lack of support. Some  people wouldn't bat an eyelid and others stew on it under it becomes an outlet for all sorts on pent up frustration. The media clowns would be encouraging the anger as would close family members who through what they see as support. 

He has been with us since he was 18 and the grass probably looked greener when clarity of thought was missing. 

In time he will come out and explain and will probably be a touch contrite and it is time that will heal. Once he is back being the alpha dog at training and matched and the adulation is back he will revert to Trac of old. I don't hold any grudges against because all of us have our weaknesses. Deep down he is probably relieved and learnt a few lessons. 

The club have been resolute and it is the media buffoons who were look like fools. The way Sam Edmund pontificates make me cringe.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

34 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Comical how salty this bloke is. AFL media should be ashamed of themselves. 

This is the scramble that comes when the pundits realize they have missed the mark and need to desperately back over previous assumptions and hysteria to justify point of view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Impressive effort from the wooden spooners 

Considering they've got 100,000+ members, their crowd numbers are quite pathetic

The above type of logic is constantly used against the MFC

We have no excuses (apparently) but which other club ever has their crowd numbers questioned?

It never happens

Reality is that we are a small club and I've been saying that for decades so it's not news to me

That barren period from 1965 to 1986 wiped out any chance of being a big club

So in that time frame, we held no attraction to new supporters.  And their kids & grand kids don't barrack for us either

Close on 3 generations of potential supporters lost in the wind.  And in that time period, save for 1976, we never looked like playing finals

So we've been playing catch-up ever since

And membership numbers are related to attendees but only about 25% - 30% of members attend.  And that's for just about every club

Many buy membership as a donation as most members don't attend games.  If they did, all the clubs would play to sell-out crowds every match

So when factoring 3 game & 6 game memberships, 65,000 members might equate to 15,000 members attending (on average)

For the bigger games, the percentage would increase and for low drawing teams, the percentage of members attending might decrease ... big game atmosphere vs low atmosphere games

Just my take on it but I'm wondering why the finger only ever gets pointed at the MFC.  There again, logic gets thrown out the window with these sorts of things

Footnote: South Melbourne & Fitzroy lost their clubs because of similar barren periods.  North very nearly closed up shop as well (RDB & Allen Aylett saved them)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Assuming those are home attendances only they still aren't an accurate depiction, in my view. For example, there is no way that GWS and GC are getting any more than 5,000 of their own fans through the gates at their home games. Those numbers are being heavily padded by visiting supporters of the big Victorian clubs. 

Hawthorn's would likely be higher if they weren't playing four games at UTAS (capacity 19,000) and ours if we weren't playing one game at Traeger Park (capacity 7,000). I also think that in our games against the bigger Victorian sides the crowd is closer to 50/50, thus inflating our numbers a bit. 

Personally, I couldn't care less if the perception is that we're not a big club. For anyone that does though we can't honestly expect to change the narrative when we're drawing 17,000 to our home games. 

7 hours ago, binman said:

See, this is where I have a problem.

Not with Morris' per se - he is  paid to gin up angst and clicks.

But is there really a huge story here?

I mean it could all be boiled down to:

'Star player unhappy with how injury managed and concerned premiership wondow is shut wants to get to a more successful Victorian club.'

A bog standard story written a million times.

All the rest of it, for example the suggestion tracc not happy with how clarry was managed is old, stale news rolled into this one to create a club in crisis narrative.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not going to dance to the tune of peanuts like Morris like some puppet.

I posted a joke early in this thread asking for a gif with Morris as the organ grinder and demonland as the monkey.

And to be frank, that is what this thread largely feels like.

A bunch of adults dancing to the media's tune.

Thats all fine but when a top 3/4 player in the league wants out of your club it’s a big story in any one’s book. Of course the media are going to be all over it and of course people are going to react. I’m pretty sure  in one of your posts your tone towards Petracca showed a level of dissatisfaction. Did you grind yourself a little as well 😂🤓

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pingu said:

Very interesting that not one Dees player on Instagram has shared the MFCs post to their Instagram story. Hmmmm. 🤔 

Happy he’s staying. Let’s hope he’s returning to a happy family on day one of pre-season. Go Dees. 

I don't really expect them to. I bet they've told him through texts or phone calls

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

Nth Ringers is not the hood though. that’s the nice bit. Near the station got pretty stabby after 2000. 

I grew up there

Probably crossed paths with you in Juice and Daisys back in the day.

• Haha 1

Tom Morris exclusive!

Tom Morris just broke the news that Christian Petracca may not have actually been drafted by Melbourne. He says he has conclusive evidence, after overhearing a discussion between three patrons who resembled Melbourne players in the Bullring Bar, that the person Melbourne drafted is actually Gennaro Contaldo, legendary as the chef who taught Jamie Oliver how to cook Italian food. ...

Gerrard Whateley called for the immediate resignation of the entire MFC Board and Football Department over their lack of due diligence.

Sam McClure suggested that there was more coming on this sensational scoop, and he wondered why the real Christian Petracca hadn’t used his social media channels to refute the suggestion that he is not a very good cook after all!

Meanwhile, Kane Cornes asked listeners to vote in an online poll on who they thought would be a worthy replacement for him as he switches from 9 to 7. The choices are

1)    Pope Francis

2)    Elvis

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Neitz the Great said:

Not too bad for a “small club” who finished 14th….

IMG_1521.jpeg

One example

By my reckoning, less than 25% of Richmond members attend games on a week to week basis

We know that have 100,000+ members

Most of their games are at the MCG where any number of MCC & AFL members would be attending their games (non Richmond aligned financially)

And then there are the games at Docklands and interstate

So their average crowds are 43,692

Allowing for opposition supporters we can at least half that figure

So why do at least 75,000+ Richmond members not attend games?  (on average)

Edited by Macca
  • Clap 2

The Media melt down after being proven wrong with Petracca leaving is soo good.  I hope the Dees are sitting back laughing at them

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, Billy said:

Why’s that?

Lived in Nth Ringwood from 1991-2010

Nice weatherboard house with a lovely garden, great neighbours & friends.

But then again I’m not too entitled 

Not prestigious enough for you?

As a peninsula kid, Ringwood was the end of the earth and traffic hell to get there, nothing against the place but boy o boy geographically inconvenient 

8 hours ago, binman said:

See, this is where I have a problem.

Not with Morris' per se - he is  paid to gin up angst and clicks.

But is there really a huge story here?

I mean it could all be boiled down to:

'Star player unhappy with how injury managed and concerned premiership wondow is shut wants to get to a more successful Victorian club.'

A bog standard story written a million times.

All the rest of it, for example the suggestion tracc not happy with how clarry was managed is old, stale news rolled into this one to create a club in crisis narrative.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not going to dance to the tune of peanuts like Morris like some puppet.

I posted a joke early in this thread asking for a gif with Morris as the organ grinder and demonland as the monkey.

And to be frank, that is what this thread largely feels like.

A bunch of adults dancing to the media's tune.

Serious? He was looking for an out. 100% can guarantee you that. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Nah the narrative is they were unlucky. It's already out there.

I say they were lucky to win the flag in the first place, they are now in a true ladder position... based on team... we on the other hand were the best team in 22 and probably 23 just didn’t capitalise.

What superficially read like a statement from Tracc that he wasn’t going anywhere kind of now looks like his status within the club is in a kind of holding pattern at least till the end of the finals and draft window. All it has done is placate fans somewhat and dulled the media scrutiny. If nothing happens and he stays this thread could go to over a a couple of thousand pages by this time next season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wizard of Koz said:

FWIW. My take is that he does love the club and fans. Without processing he is still trying to make his point and probably revels in the attention of being number 1 and being wanted. He has missed that over the last few months and things have festered. No doubt there was some lack of support. Some  people wouldn't bat an eyelid and others stew on it under it becomes an outlet for all sorts on pent up frustration. The media clowns would be encouraging the anger as would close family members who through what they see as support. 

He has been with us since he was 18 and the grass probably looked greener when clarity of thought was missing. 

In time he will come out and explain and will probably be a touch contrite and it is time that will heal. Once he is back being the alpha dog at training and matched and the adulation is back he will revert to Trac of old. I don't hold any grudges against because all of us have our weaknesses. Deep down he is probably relieved and learnt a few lessons. 

The club have been resolute and it is the media buffoons who were look like fools. The way Sam Edmund pontificates make me cringe.

I hope that's the case and you may be right - it just struck me as a carefully worded statement where it gives him an out to go a different direction when / if he wants / can.  That might be unfair... he's definitely been through a hell of an ordeal with the injury and since... but the whole point of a statement is to get the words exactly right as in a live interview a quote can easily be misconstrued (as our president found this week).  The points I made in my last post about the statement clearly were not accidental and as a supporter of the dees (and our no.5), that makes me sad.  So while I hope your take is correct, until there's more evidence to demonstrate that, I'll keep my take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil C said:

Talk about train wrecks. This whole segment was a train wreck. It is shameful and incredibly unethical of Tony Jones to blurt out, "Well done Melbourne media department," while mock applauding. Regarding the edited Roffey footage, Roffey's remarks were acceptable based on your opinion on board presidents' involvement in football-related affairs. The football department is responsible for informing the board of the problems, and as we have discovered over the last two weeks, Christian's concerns vary according to who he speaks with.

Edited by djr
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Phil C said:

It’s really shameful some of the stuff reported in the media and said by Barrett.  Barrett had a massive tirade against Tracc and was then asked “where did this brand Petracca stuff come from”.

Barrett says “from Tracc himself. People from inside Melbourne said Petracca raised it”.

Shameful for the media to assassinate Traccs reputation without getting confirmation of accuracy, and shameful of our club to leak private conversations out of the club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

On his future he "remains committed to the red and blue" but it doesn't say for life or for his contract etc

That's exactly the bit the jumped out for me.  As in I'm committed to the red and the blue... It's what he didn't say such as: until the trade period/until end of 2025/on the proviso that we trade out trouble makers/change coach etc

2 hours ago, old dee said:

I think I said this elsewhere but I would not be surprised if he doesn't play many games in 2025. It was a big bad injury he sustained. Add mental problems.  I am worried he might struggle. 

Yeah that's a concern I share Old Dee.  He could be in the bench or in rehab for a lot of the season

8 hours ago, binman said:

The story writes itself:

Dees have a cracking preseason.

The Max, Jack, tracc and clarry band gets back together.

The young Turks (JVR, mcvee, Windsor, Kolt, disco and pick 5) make their own music.

The dees win the flag.

Tracc wins the Norm Smith.

Redemption reigns.

Traccs 'reach' goes nuclear.

Did you say similar optimistic things after 22 and 23?  

As a betting man, what odds would you give on this outcome eventuating?  

49 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I say they were lucky to win the flag in the first place, they are now in a true ladder position... based on team... we on the other hand were the best team in 22 and probably 23 just didn’t capitalise.

Umpires were key for them

• Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Hellfire Dub said:

Did you say similar optimistic things after 22 and 23?  

As a betting man, what odds would you give on this outcome eventuating?  

Hey if it helps us sleep at night.. why can't we dream?

5 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I'm relieved that Petracca has released a statement - if nothing else than it gets the club out of the bad media spotlight for a bit.
However, I did find the statement both interesting and disappointing by what it didn't say.  It has been very carefully crafted.  For example:

• He says he loves his footy... but nowhere does he express his love for the club - where he has won a premierships and north smith with many of his closest mates.  Usually this type of statement would have something like "I love my footy, I love this club - the players, the staff, the fans..."
  • On his future he "remains committed to the red and blue" but it doesn't say for life or for his contract etc
  • He also says "I voiced my concerns as a leader, wanting better for our club, playing group, and fans."  Maybe this is accurate - maybe he was doing the hard thing and trying to generate the change needed.  But from the snippets in the media, this seems more revisionist history being written and (until there's reason to think otherwise) the reference to wanting better for the fans seems disingenuous.  

i guess we'll have to wait to hear what he actually says when he's interviewed about it all.

All good points.

But personally I could care less what he says in a media statement- now or in the future.

I didn't, and don't, expect him to come out and pledge undying loyalty to the dees or talk about how much he loves the club and fans.

And I'm not particularly annoyed with him either - merde happens.

Im just glad hes staying.

Rehab, train hard over the preseason and play great footy.

That will do me just fine.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, binman said:

afl.com had an article in the lead up to our game tiltled:

Don't dream it's over: what pies need to make finals

the final paragraph:

'It technically isn't over yet, but surely not even McRae's miracle workers could pull this off.'

McRae's miracle workers?

How many times in VFL/AFL history has the premier failed to make the finals the following year?

Some miracle workers.

Instead we get articles like this from the AFL media, well these guys are AFL media adjacent, instead of focusing on the Pies missing finals.

• Angry 1
  • Vomit 4