Oliver Trade Rumours

5 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Filler. 
Morris could have pondered the same thing a week ago. 
Nothing new to see here.

The AFL Media machine never sleep. Extended trade period, gradual leak of fixtures etc. 

No doubt there are issues here, but they need something to talk about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vandenberger With The Lot said:

I would rather pay Oliver a mill a year to sit on the couch than to see him play well at Geelong. For the love of god don't trade him/

I feel like this myself to be honest - would seriously hurt the eyeballs.

I'd rather keep him still and pay $200k to full time mentor.  Try and get someone like a James McDonald around him to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Yes, its an additional cost but I don't really care.  Having him at his best is worth it IMO and I can't be bothered going through a rebuild.

Should he need a mentor and more support, no, he shouldn't, he's an adult.  But some people just need the additional support and sadly, there are always two sets of rules around 'culture' in sporting clubs.  One set for the superstars and one set for the remaining players.

I have no idea how many stuff ups Clayton has made and refuse to believe some of the [censored] in the media/social media.  I find it amazing hearing all of these naughty things he is apparently doing with no footage of it - especially when he is clearly identifiable and the whole world now have access to filming content on there phones.

I do know meeting him a couple times that he has a very alert, excited and energised look to him which I think would be misconstrued for him being up to no good.  He has had the look to him since he was a child.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I think reading here somewhere, he was super keen on a trip to the US or something to get super fit in readiness for the new season. 

Hopefully he can get through all of this noise and remain 100% committed to this and get back to his best in 2025.

I still have faith he can get there.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

I feel like this myself to be honest - would seriously hurt the eyeballs.

I'd rather keep him still and pay $200k to full time mentor.  Try and get someone like a James McDonald around him to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Yes, its an additional cost but I don't really care.  Having him at his best is worth it IMO and I can't be bothered going through a rebuild.

Should he need a mentor and more support, no, he shouldn't, he's an adult.  But some people just need the additional support and sadly, there are always two sets of rules around 'culture' in sporting clubs.  One set for the superstars and one set for the remaining players.

I have no idea how many stuff ups Clayton has made and refuse to believe some of the [censored] in the media/social media.  I find it amazing hearing all of these naughty things he is apparently doing with no footage of it - especially when he is clearly identifiable and the whole world now have access to filming content on there phones.

I do know meeting him a couple times that he has a very alert, excited and energised look to him which I think would be misconstrued for him being up to no good.  He has had the look to him since he was a child.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I think reading here somewhere, he was super keen on a trip to the US or something to get super fit in readiness for the new season. 

Hopefully he can get through all of this noise and remain 100% committed to this and get back to his best in 2025.

I still have faith he can get there.

For $200K I’ll mentor him.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Ideally the MFC President is not tweeting....

Why?  He's always been active on Twitter.  Seems like as president you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Roffey was criticised for being quiet, now Greey's being criticised for speaking out?  They can't win either way, can they?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Roost it far said:

For $200K I’ll mentor him.

I’ve mentored youth for free. I’ll chuck Clazza into the stable. If it keeps him happy and gets him back to 2021-2022 levels I’d pay to do it.

I’ve met him a few times and I think he is a really good bloke. Very affable.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ha ha ha Tom Morris now sprouting what Clayton is getting and that Geelong won’t be paying that. F O Tommie boy your out of your depth trying to play the Big Boy game.!!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Why?  He's always been active on Twitter.  Seems like as president you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Roffey was criticised for being quiet, now Greey's being criticised for speaking out?  They can't win either way, can they?

Mostly because he's misinterpreted the comments and made himself look a bit silly. The comment from Lloyd was 'people believe he's cleaned out his locker' - That's not a literal comment, it's a figurative take on his connection to the club. Green then replying with a comment around 'we train at different places, everyone cleans out their locker' is a little embarrassing from a club president.

I love Brad. I think he'll do a good job defending the club and putting on a brave face for the supporter base, but evidence is already stacking up that he's perhaps not the sharpest or shrewdest operator to be our President long term.

• Like 1
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I like it. We are the pin cushion of the league, clubs and oppo supporters at the moment. Don’t mind a bit of push back!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Ha ha ha Tom Morris now sprouting what Clayton is getting and that Geelong won’t be paying that. F O Tommie boy your out of your depth trying to play the Big Boy game.!!

LOL the backtracking has begun

Pathetic 

• Like 3

Anyone remember the good old days when the only media footy gossip we got over summer was the 5 minute long Bemm River Report every Sunday on World of Sport with Jack Dyer and Louie The Lip?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

LOL the backtracking has begun

Pathetic 

It’s not a non story though. Oliver has mucked up. So have we. He legitimately wanted out. The journos were correct in that sense. 

What Morris may’ve finally figured out is that it’s almost impossible to trade him. Especially now that we’ve decided to not have a fire sale. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Mostly because he's misinterpreted the comments and made himself look a bit silly. The comment from Lloyd was 'people believe he's cleaned out his locker' - That's not a literal comment, it's a figurative take on his connection to the club. Green then replying with a comment around 'we train at different places, everyone cleans out their locker' is a little embarrassing from a club president.

I love Brad. I think he'll do a good job defending the club and putting on a brave face for the supporter base, but evidence is already stacking up that he's perhaps not the sharpest or shrewdest operator to be our President long term.

I thought this too initially, but the more I think on it, the more I like it.

Yes, it was a throw away line from Lloyd, but that's not really how it's being reported. And if it was figurative, I don't mind if it means they have to correct themselves and be more literal, which would then become 'No, he hasn't cleaned out his locker because he's leaving.' Great, so what proof do you have he is still trying to get out. And I think the answer is none, or at least nothing new.

For the record, I'm not one of those who thinks this whole thing is a media beat up. But I do think the last couples days has been them trying to keep this alive. And if this shot from Green makes it harder, good on him

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I get your point, but someone needs to call out Sam McClure’s employers. It’s getting beyond responsible what he’s been allowed to “report” lately. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Be that as it may, I find it hard to believe Green would hose down the rumours if there was truth to them. The criticism of the club’s messaging, often justified, would go into overdrive if it does turn out to be true. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

That's fair enough.  But I actually really appreciate us having a go back for once.  We've been under seige for more than a year and have just been copping it.  I'm not against Goody and others' approach of being "a good Melbourne person" and being pragmatic and not dodoro when dealing with player movement... as I think these things are important to be successful ina sustainable way.  But we are under seige and no one has flown the flag...  Don't get me started on Maynard at Kings Birthday!

So I actually appreciate Brad for pushing back - about time someone did!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Demon_JB said:

d4a54cf1-ee00-4146-b023-e7d56c4c871e.jpg

I quite like Brad Green's public 'Presidential Persona' - the center square line at the BnF and little jibes like this on social media.  Bit of a refreshing change for an MFC President to play the media soundbite game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Don’t agree with you at all …on any points …

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Stuff Jeelong. How about a deal with Richman. 

We get pick 1 and pay $200K of his annual salary.

Picks 1 & 5or6 will net us a couple of good midfielders.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I think everyone knows it's not literal - it's a tongue in cheek response.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I think everyone knows it's not literal - it's a tongue in cheek response.

Assuming you’re referring to Green’s post, nothing  gives anything contextually to suggest it’s a tongue in cheek response to Lloyd. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BLWNBA said:

Assuming you’re referring to Green’s post, nothing  gives anything contextually to suggest it’s a tongue in cheek response to Lloyd. 

The written word rarely does.
It's definitely tongue in cheek and poking fun at the media.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

He has not always been President. 

Maybe you are of the opinion that the directors have done a good job in recent years in their oversite of the business. I do not think they have performed their roles to the standards expected.

Edited by demoniac
typo
  • Like 1