CASEY: Rd 15 vs Brisbane Lions

Jefferson.  Yes good development and with a big preseason, could start in round 1 2025. 

Adams.  Development has stalled.  I’m not sure he’s the future KPB that we might have after May retires in a few years.  

Few Casey players are okay but not the addition to the MFC squad.  Loss of Hustwaite and Connolly has robbed Casey of their depth. 

Surely they delist Hunter and Schache.  

McAdam is VFL standard.  Not worth a promotion.  

Hore was clearly our best player and is a worth promoting if we have a place available. 

Lack of quality young mids is OBVIOUS!!! 

Get Deven Robertson.  He’s good enough for AFL senior teams.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, BAMF said:

Laurie with 10 disposals and 34 dream team points. What the hell happened? Was he off the ground for long periods?

Didn't play the second half

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Jefferson.  Yes good development and with a big preseason, could start in round 1 2025. 

Adams.  Development has stalled.  I’m not sure he’s the future KPB that we might have after May retires in a few years.  

Few Casey players are okay but not the addition to the MFC squad.  Loss of Hustwaite and Connolly has robbed Casey of their depth. 

Hore was clearly our best player and is a worth promoting if we have a place available. 

its very dissapointing knowing we are going into this years draft without a second rounder because we gave it away for a vfl standard player

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Demonland said:

DERAILMENT by KC from Casey

It wasn’t quite a trainwreck although at times, it sure looked like one, so I’ll settle for “derailment”. 

The trip to Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield outside the back of Brisbane might not exactly be the same place where Homer Simpson’s family resides but, if you listened closely to the utterances of the Casey Demons fans both at the ground or watching via livestream, you could hear lots of groaning and plenty of expressions of “D'oh!” reverberating in the background, particularly after quarter time. 

The Demons started the game brightly. They were aided by a swirly breeze and had two early goals on the board through the agency of Josh Schache and emerging young forward Matt Jefferson who is starting to look as if he belongs on the forward line after a long apprenticeship. The Lions mounted a countercharge but the Demons were equal to the task with Shane McAdam and Schache looking dangerous, albeit erratic in front of goals. 

A ten point lead at the first break was looking like a good reward for effort until the strength, ability,  the greater experience and AFL list numbers of the northerners came to the fore early in the second term and it was all over. 

The combination of Fort and Smith in the ruck and the on ball skills of Lyons, Robertson and Dunkley were overwhelming as the home side relentlessly pushed forward time and again off the weight of clearances. The Brisbane backmen defended strongly, their forwards played in front and marked everything. The only mystery was the fact that they weren’t further in front.

After an early second half resurgence, it was business as usual and the Demons trailed by eight goals at three quarter time and thanks to some rare individual efforts, they somehow managed to narrow the margin slightly by the end of the game.

Casey had far too few players who stood up all day. Defenders Marty Hore (24 disposals, 10 marks) and Blake Howes Howes (22 touches, seven marks) worked hard to stem the flow but had very little assistance. 

Forwards Matt Jefferson and Shane McAdam presented well and did their bit with three goals each while Josh Schache scored two goals but also blemished his record with four behinds including a couple that were very forgettable. Jack Billings worked hard to get into the game but otherwise, most of the younger crop of Demons looked tired and failed to produce the goods. The young ruckmen were well beaten both at stoppages and around the ground. 

Apart from Mitch White who gave his all as he always does, Roan Steele and Tom Freeman, the VFL-listed players had minimal impact on the game. 

Casey are back home against Essendon, another struggling side, next Sunday. The Demons will need to lift their game as the Bombers won their game this round and are showing improvement of late with internal competition for finals places intensifies.

CASEY DEMONS 5.5.35 6.5.41 7.9.51 11.11.77

BRISBANE LIONS 4.1.25 10.5.65 15.9.99 18.15.123

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson McAdam 3 Schache 2 Billings Farris-White White 

BRISBANE LIONS Smith 3 Craven Derksen Dunkley Lyons Ryan 2 Greenaway McPherson Manly Robertson Sharp 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS Hore Jefferson McAdam Howes White Billings 

BRISBANE LIONS Robertson Lyons Smith Prior Dunkley Fort 

Statistics 

Jed Adams 2 kicks 3 handballs 5 disposals 1 tackle 16 dream team points
Jack Billings 1 goal 14 kicks 5 handballs 19 disposals 7 marks 5 tackles 84 dream team points
Kynan Brown 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 5 tackles 35 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 9 kicks 5 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 51 dream team points
Kyah Faris-White 1 goals 1 behind 3 kicks 3  disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 11 hitouts 29 dream team points
Tom Freeman 10 kicks 7 handballs 17 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 64 dream team points
Max Gregory 4 kicks 8 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 5 tackles 57 dream team points
Marty Hore 22 kicks 2 handballs 24 disposals 9 marks 2 tackles 106 dream team points
Blake Howes 13  kicks 9 handballs 22 disposals 7 marks 78 dream team points
Lachie Hunter 13 kicks 3 handballs 16 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle 76 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 3 goals 1 behind 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 7 marks 2 tackles 76 dream team points
Luker Kentfield 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 3 marks 25 dream team points
Eddie King 2 kicks 3 handballs 5 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 23 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 32 dream team points
Shane McAdam 3 goals 1 behind 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 6 marks 7 tackles 97 dream team points
Ned Moodie 1 behind 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 53 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 1 behind 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 60 dream team points
Josh Schache 2 goals 4 behinds 12 kicks 4 handballs 16 disposals 12 marks 96 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 1 mark 4 tackles 1 hitout 41 dream team points
Roan Steele 11 kicks 6 handballs 17 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points
Mitch Szybkowski 3 kicks 4 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 32 dream team points
Will Verrall 6 kicks 1 handball 7 disposals 3 tackles 26 hitouts 56 dream team points
Mitch White 1 goal 13 kicks 6 handballs 19 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 65 dream team points

IMG_4507.jpeg

Thanks KC. You are a gem, and seriously your contributions are one of the best things about Demonland.

Those numbers for Jed Adams are a horror show given how much time the ball spent in our defensive 50.

I watched the first 2 and half quarters, and I'm pretty sure he didn't come off injured. Did he after that point?

Where do you see Adams at?

Of the dees listed players, Howes was the only one giving me pick me vibes. Do you think he'll come back into the ones at some point?

• Like 2

The deficiencies are obvious and every centre bounce Verrall is surrounde by White an MFC list player and 2 Casey lads who are small. We are continually murdered at the clearance. As mentioned earlier the big bodied gutys missing hurt but they aren't backup for the seniors. Similarly down back only Hore and Adams are senior listers the rest of the back line are Casey boys who are undersized. Deoth is is the issue and body strength. Not sure where all the depth has gone.

This makes it hard for the MFC listed guys to shine when they cannot get their hands on the ball.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don’t watch Casey but McAdam’s kicked 6.2 in the last fortnight.

Is that enough to warrant a recall? Bear in mind that our accuracy has been generally atrocious this year  and he might  able to assist in that area.

Appears to be fitter now than when he made his debut earlier in the season. So is giving himself more opportunities to be competitive, get separation and kick goals. Impressed by his second efforts too recently. Would fit well into a functioning forward line. Where's Tex?

• Like 1

A few had down days  based on those stats. Understand Laurie played a half, but Sestan and K Brown didn't get much of it either.

20 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

This performance by Casey just highlights our complete lack of depth. It is little wonder that we currently sit in the bottom half of the AFL ladder. It is why players not performing at AFL keep getting a game because there is nothing better or at least equal to replace them with. Our recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Not one of our signings from other clubs has been a positive, and there have been many. It is time to review the whole club, from the senior coach down. Otherwise we are headed back to those dark days again

You need to be more subtle about your agenda, otherwise people might think you're just a factional wrecker with a vendetta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

Just watching the replay now.
Had to laugh when the commentator said they have their superstar tech team with them today.

Camera work was woeful. The horizon at -10° is doing my head in. Didn’t they notice that the goalposts were sloping a bit?

• Clap 1

2 minutes ago, DiscoStu17 said:

Just watching the replay now.
Had to laugh when the commentator said they have their superstar tech team with them today.

Camera work was woeful. The horizon at -10° is doing my head in. Didn’t they notice that the goalposts were sloping a bit?

Think they had trouble enough finding where the ball was.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

My view too, McAdams is NQR and lacks strength. There is a reason he is at his third club. Yes I know he did not play a game at Carlton. Will be gone when contract expires. 

We played too small in the midfield and defence. Considering they had 3 good AFL midfielders, and 3x 6ft8 ruck/forwards, we were too short.

Midfielders running to defensive spot. Leaving Brisbane midfielders to get our taps. Is there a plan?

Forwards were all together. No space to lead into. Ensures defence can cover with 3rd man up. also, is there a plan?

Can’t handball 

Defence constantly getting in each other’s way. Nobody left on the ground to rove.

If I was Yuki Tsunoda, I might say that the umpires were “[censored] retarded” but that’s not very nice. So I’m just left wondering what did Kyah do in particular? He must have a particularly foul mouth and nasty disposition to put them so offside.

• Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Think they had trouble enough finding where the ball was.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the camera/tech crew and umpires just swapped jobs for a day for [censored] and giggles.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, old dee said:

My view too, McAdams is NQR and lacks strength. There is a reason he is at his third club. Yes I know he did not play a game at Carlton. Will be gone when contract expires. 

He was never at Carlton, he was listed by Carlton then on traded as part of their mature age draft concessions. Adelaide was his first club.

He was an injury prone inconsistent talent in a poor Adelaide side who came to us unfit and unsurprisingly got injured. Why we ever felt he was worth a second round pick I’ll never know, but it’s not like it was a super early one and JT generally hasn’t valued 2nd rounders (for better or worse).

I still like the gamble to get him because he can be a genuine match up nightmare. But it’s all about the preseason for him, he’ll either come in fit and be a contributor or come in underdone in which case he’ll be playing  VFL if healthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

He was never at Carlton, he was listed by Carlton then on traded as part of their mature age draft concessions. Adelaide was his first club.

He was an injury prone inconsistent talent in a poor Adelaide side who came to us unfit and unsurprisingly got injured. Why we ever felt he was worth a second round pick I’ll never know, but it’s not like it was a super early one and JT generally hasn’t valued 2nd rounders (for better or worse).

I still like the gamble to get him because he can be a genuine match up nightmare. But it’s all about the preseason for him, he’ll either come in fit and be a contributor or come in underdone in which case he’ll be playing  VFL if healthy. 

With Melksham back he’s lost his chance for Senior team. He had 17 rounds to claim his chance and fluffed it completely. You’d hope the penny drops and he comes back fit this pre season..

• Like 5
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, Older demon said:

The deficiencies are obvious and every centre bounce Verrall is surrounde by White an MFC list player and 2 Casey lads who are small. We are continually murdered at the clearance. As mentioned earlier the big bodied gutys missing hurt but they aren't backup for the seniors. Similarly down back only Hore and Adams are senior listers the rest of the back line are Casey boys who are undersized. Deoth is is the issue and body strength. Not sure where all the depth has gone.

This makes it hard for the MFC listed guys to shine when they cannot get their hands on the ball.

Agreed. Missing the guys like Harmes, Dunstan, Munro who all won the tough contested footy.  Unfortunately Hustwaite also now missing for 10 weeks

• Like 1

On 07/07/2024 at 10:39, binman said:

Thanks KC. You are a gem, and seriously your contributions are one of the best things about Demonland.

Those numbers for Jed Adams are a horror show given how much time the ball spent in our defensive 50.

I watched the first 2 and half quarters, and I'm pretty sure he didn't come off injured. Did he after that point?

Where do you see Adams at?

Of the dees listed players, Howes was the only one giving me pick me vibes. Do you think he'll come back into the ones at some point?

Hey Binman - thanks for the compliment.

I think Adams and a few of the other younger Demons including Sestan, Verrall and even Kynan Brown (despite not having much recent game time) have reached the fatigue stage. My theory is that it's been brought about by the number of injuries at the club and the way the fixture has been structured of late which has meant that a two and sometimes three players are being held back for AFL duty. For example, this week Fullarton and Tomlinson both missed out as emergencies for yesterday's game and Laurie was off (for unknown reasons) by half time. So, apart from the players missing from last year and the void left by Gus and Joel Smith, they were in a position whereby they were substantially behind the eight ball compared with Brisbane's experienced players. This has had an effect on the younger bodies and minds.

In addition to Blake Howes, I think Marty Hore  would be a chance to come back depending on the make up of the opposition forward line. Given that Harry Petty might come back in from injury and Lawrie, Tomlinson and Fullarton are also in the wings, that just about covers the depth situation - possibly McAdam could come into the mix but Melksham has him covered. I think Jefferson might have to wait till 2025 unless Melbourne falls entirely out of contention but he should be good to start his AFL career with another preseason behind him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 07/07/2024 at 01:03, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don’t watch Casey but McAdam’s kicked 6.2 in the last fortnight.

Is that enough to warrant a recall? Bear in mind that our accuracy has been generally atrocious this year  and he might  able to assist in that area.

21 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

With Melksham back he’s lost his chance for Senior team. He had 17 rounds to claim his chance and fluffed it completely. You’d hope the penny drops and he comes back fit this pre season..

Id bring McAdam in this week for Turner. Much higher ceiling.

• Shocked 1