The Midseason Review

Posted (edited)

If you told me after the St.Kilda game we would lose by 92 points I would laugh at you and say our season is just going just fine a win against Freo would really kickstart the second half of the season. The debacle happened now we are staring at a rebuild.

THE COACHING: Has been deplorable they play underdone players, they are getting belted out of the midfield and they can't kick goals.

THE PLAYERS:

May: Has been seviceable really missing his mate Lever.

van Rooyen: Has only shown patches this season but looks promising.

Salem: Has really struggled with injury and form.

McVee: One of the shining lights shows composure.

Petracca: Excellent season until the freo game.

Windsor: Started off great but has struggled recently.back 

Viney: Has dropped off from last year.

Lever: Excellent season has been a pillar of defence.

Spargo: Injured

Brayshaw : Retired.

Gawn: Been excellent back to career best form.

Hunter: Injured and slowing down another who has played under done.

Oliver: Career worst form I personally think he has destroyed the club.

Billings: Dud recruit

Langdon: Playing better than his previous 2 years

Laurie: Hasn't been given a chance at AFL level bidding his time at VFL level.

Bowey: Injured hasn't come back to his best.

Melksham : Injured

Schache: Dud recruit

Tomlinson: Just when you think he has turned the corner he puts in a shocker shouldn't be in the side again.

Jefferson: Frustratingly not developing as quickly as we would like in the VFL. It doesn't help when you have NQR's josteling for his position in B.Brown, Schache and Fullerton.

Howes: Like Windsor started off well but has dropped off considerably recently.

McAdam: Injured another one to come back under done.

Rivers: I think he has regressed for the last few years maybe a spot in the midfield will help him.

McDonald: Has been good but would prefer to see Petty down back instead.

Adams: Developing at Casey

Hore: Injured

Verrall: Developing at Casey

Smith: Suspended

Neal-Bullen : A real goer I like him in the middle but his best spot is forward.

Fritsch : Our only avenue to goal.

Sparrow: Has stagnated

Fullerton: Not a ruckman not a forward not sure why he is on the list.

Petty: The experiment has failed it's over try and get him some form down back.

Pickett: I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer him in the midfield.

Chandler: Another one who has stagnated

Sestan : Developing at Casey

Tholstrup: Hasn't come on as liked but there is still hope.

Woewodin: Hasn't been given the chance at AFL level being subbed all the time.

K.Brown: Developing at Casey

Turner: Injured another player that has come in underdone

Farris-White: Developing in the suburban leagues.

Moniz-Wakefield: Been the shining light at Casey getting 30 touches a game most weeks.

B.Brown: Finished due to his bad knee should retire.

BEST TEAM

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Salem, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Neal-Bullen, van Rooyen, Chandler

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Bowey, Howes, Sparrow, Turner

SUB: Woewodin

Casey

B: Hore, Tomlinson, Connelly

HB: Moniz-Wakefield, Adams, Gregory

C: Hunter, Tholstrup, K.Brown

HF: McAdam, Schache, Spargo

F; Jefferson, B.Brown, Fullerton

FOLL: Verrall, White, Laurie

IC: Sestan, Steele, Billings, Edwards

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

@WERRIDEE are you ok? concussion??

“Petty: The experiment has failed it's over try and get him some form down back” 

Yet you then put him in as FULL FORWARD in your best team?? 

Its time to end the Petty experiment as a forward. 
Premiership winning defender.  Return him to where he was starring alongside May and Lever.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spirit of norm smith said:

@WERRIDEE are you ok? concussion??

“Petty: The experiment has failed it's over try and get him some form down back” 

Yet you then put him in as FULL FORWARD in your best team?? 

Its time to end the Petty experiment as a forward. 
Premiership winning defender.  Return him to where he was starring alongside May and Lever.  

It's the best team so far this year. It's not the best team I want.

The best team that I want is

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Moniz-Wakefield, Petty, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Neal-Bullen, van Rooyen, Tholstrup

F: Fritsch, Jefferson, Chandler

FOLL: Gawn, Viney, Pickett

IC: Woewodin, Salem, Sparrow, Laurie

SUB: Howes

• Clap 1

perfect bye content; worth revisiting post king's birthday i reckon

in football, just as in life, things are never as bad or as good as they may seem

but this

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

is an appalling comment imo

agree with the first bit, but to say he's 'destroyed the club'? shocking thing to say

• Like 8
  • Clap 4

First time poster, long term reader.

I work with a yank who has got me into following the Edmonton Oilers... NHL.

They started the season 2-9-1... Which is pretty bad. Yesterday they made the Stanley Cup. The starting 5 points was the fewest ever by a team to make the finals. 

The Captain (Connor McDavid) said this during the run of bad results:

“The mental mistakes that keep costing us over and over again made us chase the game,” said McDavid. “It is just death by a thousand cuts, that is what it feels like. One mistake and it costs us, and another little mistake and it just snowballs. It is tough to chase games.” 

It was a good roster, but a bad team. They fired their coach (which I'm not advocating) and turned things around.

They remind me a lot of the Dees of late. I have faith the fellas will get things moving. Maybe they need to go back to their DNA.

I'm posting this more out of interest then anything else. Sport can be funny. Especially considering Mattiais Ekholm and Max seem to be separated at birth.

Go Dees.

image.png.f24c4c4780ecc74eabbbebf7b5eb8f56.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 4

3 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Really ? what a  hysterical comment.

Everyone can have an opinion. Maybe it was worded too strongly. His form IMO correlates with Melbourne's form. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2024 at 22:08, WERRIDEE said:

OMG  Are you on something.  He was one of our pressure leaders last week and usually is, despite “poor form”.

The words “poor form” could also be written on your mirror. 

• Like 2

Watch the highlights of the Dees win in Adelaide versus the Power.  Without May.  We were 3 goals down with 90 seconds left in the third quarter.  Nailed run and positive footy and got the win.  15 goals.  Really attacked with more of a run handball kick approach. Not sure why we went into our shell after that.  Hubris? Comfort?? 

Just learnt a new (to me) word on Gruen, to describe the world as we are now knowing it: 'permacrisis'.

Good on yer, Dees, for making your contribution.

"Just enjoy the win" after St kilda game.

There were signs of rot .