POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

How Far Harley?

Appreciate we were woeful but when at the game I thought Harley had run about 25m:

Watch this (are we allowed to post AFL.com footage?):

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1134588/reids-ridiculous-double-fend-on-demons-stars?videoId=1134588&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1716113616001

Boy Wonder starts at the back of the centre circle and runs to within 7m of the wing of the centre square (that's 18m folks) let alone the 20m from the back of the centre circle to within 10m of the front of the square (need the help of a mathematician here as Harley does some left-right manoeuvres  to add three more metres.

Isn't it time players distance run was handled by the Fifth Umpire as they all wear GPS units and there is the "Metres Gained" tech?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Skuit said:

What is the solution?

I could give you my thoughts, but I am neither one of the knowledgeable list managers, nor one of the well paid officials tasked with the management of our list. I don’t say that as a criticism of them, but that they are in the position to fix the problem, not me,

I just quoted a disappointing statistic, which possibly can’t be fixed within this season.

Short term we need to fix our entries to F50, our goal kicking accuracy and our forward positioning for entries, to allow for more scoring. Our forward pressure also must lift.

Long term we need to find a top key forward and hope that Jeffo can also make it.

PS: interestingly and mid season draftee for the Eagles also outscored both our key forwards combined and had more possies than both of them combined.

Maybe there is another out there.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

The worse performance by the MFC since the Neeld era. Worse than the Brisbane performance, I am completely embarrassed to be losing to a club in a rebuilding phase.

Correct. The crop of 10 best players are past their prime and won’t get any better. The window has officially shut 

• Like 1

I think the failed bid to recruit Issac Smith for the second wing has created one cascade, in our drafting. The failure to lure a KPF is another cascade, which has impacted our drafting. We are not stupid to our needs and have been trying. 

8 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Here's the good news: we now must play Jefferson. We now must give new recruits a game ahead of Billings - i.e. Tholstrup. It's now patently obvious that our current team being selected is lacking.

Jefferson has averaged under 5 kicks, 2 tackles and 1 goal in his last 9 outings at vfl level.

Nil physical presence.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gator said:

This isn't hyperbole, our midfield is one of the worst in the competition.

What was once a strength is now a liability.  Big time.

P%ss off. I remember when  Nathan Jones was our midfield. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Would we be better if we still had Jayden Hunt  and Harmesey? 

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

But so many people with criticism and no solutions. What would you do if you were JT Jesus?

It is easy to suggest solutions, such as go and get every good player possible that we need, but of course that is not realistic.

Obviously our list guys know our deficiencies and are doing their best to remedy them.

I don’t think however there is a rule that says no fans stating the facts about our situation, which can imply criticism, unless a solution is also provided.

• Like 1

The most disappointing thing is we had that great win against Geelong a few weeks ago to really set the season up.

Last week we started slow & it looks like yesterday we did the same thing to. 

I'm just sick of these Melbourne performances 

• Like 2

After two straight-sets losses in two years, we were never going to challenge in 2024. Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, May and Lever can't do it on their own. Carlton, Eagles and others show you need to have marking power around the ground. I love ANB, Langdon and Chandler but you need to take marks around the ground. If it doesn't hit the ground, all the running counts for nothing. 

3 hours ago, Anti-Saint said:

Isn't it time players distance run was handled by the Fifth Umpire as they all wear GPS units and there is the "Metres Gained" tech?

I love this idea - have some kind of klaxon go off the moment a player runs over 15m. It'd go off regularly and players would be perplexed, being so used to blasting past that distance without penalty for years.

2 hours ago, Skuit said:

But so many people with criticism and no solutions. What would you do if you were JT Jesus?

i'd trade in charlie curnow and harley reid

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

We lost Brayshaw who is a gun and Smith who was  handy player.

This game we lost JVR and Langdon. Lever subbed off early.

We have a lot of inexperienced players in the team. The list is being refreshed.

The scene was set early for a WCE win.

We have our core of guns still playing well. We need to lure another gun tall off-season.

• Like 1

Sobering experience. The young Eagles team showed plenty of dash and dare. We were a yard off and looked like yesterday's team.

Outside of Sydney every team has issues so I think we can still make top 4. There is still plenty to play for but its hard to make a case we're a threat based on yesterday's performance.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Redleg said:

It is easy to suggest solutions, such as go and get every good player possible that we need, but of course that is not realistic.

Obviously our list guys know our deficiencies and are doing their best to remedy them.

I don’t think however there is a rule that says no fans stating the facts about our situation, which can imply criticism, unless a solution is also provided.

That's fair. Fans can criticise without solutions. That is the job of our recruitment team, and they have their jobs because they have more experience and expertise than most on here. I also don't think they are beyond criticism. 

• Like 1

After watching First Crack last night, I think it’s time we drop our new game plan and go back to what works for us. Yes, we went out in straight sets last year, but that method gave us plenty of opportunities to win both games. It was mainly just accuracy that let us down. This is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water by the coaching group. We only needed a few tweaks, instead they’ve overhauled the game plan and we’ve lost our identity.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

After watching First Crack last night, I think it’s time we drop our new game plan and go back to what works for us. Yes, we went out in straight sets last year, but that method gave us plenty of opportunities to win both games. It was mainly just accuracy that let us down. This is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water by the coaching group. We only needed a few tweaks, instead they’ve overhauled the game plan and we’ve lost our identity.

Or we just played a poor game where our effort was down .

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Apart from a handful posters, reading this thread shows me that most do not understand:

1. how the draft works
  2. player trading rules
  3. pick trading rules
  4. Next Generation Academy rules
  5. father/son rules
  6. the history of the relationship between the VFL/AFL and the MCC/MF, nor
  7. watch the VFL regularly.

The root cause of our winter of discontent has little to do with traits of individual players or game style in May 2024, and everything to do with the fact we left a premiership on the table in 2023 with no one else to blame but ourselves.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Clap 3

34 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Last year: a couple of poor umpiring decisions, a couple of questionable ones (Marchbank), Melksham and Petry going down, and the deliberate hit on Brayshaw - there’s a flag. 

• Like 1

My opinion, which of course doesn't count for much but alleviates some of the stress from yesterdays debacle.

Ins: AMW, Tomlinson, Sestan, JVR, Hore, Langdon

Out: Lever (inj), Billings, Chandler, Brown, TMac, Sparrow

YES!  I know this will never happen but some guys need a rocket or a push towards retirement.  Further, people will say that AMW and Sestan are untried, not great at Casey....yes, I know. But after a loss like this, we need a shake up of great magnitude. Let players know that they are not walk up starts.  Give the younger guys an opportunity.

Petty stays forward.  We all know that he can take a contested mark. McGovern and Barass are two of the best defenders in the comp.  That and our poor delivery didn't help him (nor did BBB).

McAdam stays. First game for the club, clearly underdone and should be given a few games to get it together.

Give McVee a run through the middle.  The guy is a class act.  Cool under pressure and a lovely field kick.

Somebody (anybody!) persuade the coach to move the magnets around to suit or change the situation? Please?  It frustrates the hell out of me to the point where I was red carded by my wife three times yesterday afternoon.