Has this been a good year for the AFL?

layzie

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

But how does anyone know we don’t call things out? Is it because it’s not splashed across the media? For all we know our Club does call things out but nothing is done about it. 

WCW the year we don’t play Geelong in Geelong I will believe that. If we are calling things out and nothing is done about it then call that out too. I don’t want anything too over the top but the odd thinly veiled swipe at a press conference, a short club statement to members about the Maynard incident about being disappointed in the outcome etc we will continue to support Angus etc etc, the two touched goals against Carlton in seperate games, I could go on but just something occasionally from the club to show members / supporters that we are taking a stand would be nice. Be a closed shop when it comes to recruiting and trading etc but a bit more transparency and dialogue with members about issues concerning the club eg a training base I am sure would be welcome and deserved by our 70 000 plus members.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

But how does anyone know we don’t call things out? Is it because it’s not splashed across the media? For all we know our Club does call things out but nothing is done about it. 

Liverpool Football Club acknowledges PGMOL’s admission of their failures last night. It is clear that the correct application of the laws of the game did not occur, resulting in sporting integrity being undermined.

We fully accept the pressures that match officials work under but these pressures are supposed to be alleviated, not exacerbated, by the existence and implementation of VAR.

It is therefore unsatisfactory that sufficient time was not afforded to allow the correct decision to be made and that there was no subsequent intervention.

That such failings have already been categorised as “significant human error” is also unacceptable. Any and all outcomes should be established only by the review and with full transparency.

This is vital for the reliability of future decision-making as it applies to all clubs with learnings being used to make improvements to processes in order to ensure this kind of situation cannot occur again.

In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution.

Above is a real contemporary example of what I would like to see in terms of communication from the Melbourne FC to its members from another sporting passion of mine. It’s short, sharp, strong and respectful. As a supporter I know that my club is onto it, but I don’t have that same level of faith in the MFC as we don’t know because we don’t hear much. 
 Have the AFL had a good year well commercially yes but operationally I would say no. I just want Melbourne to be seen to be a bit more vocal or transparent about issues that affect our club. You don’t have to be areseholes about it but I just see us as a very nice club that tells opposition players that their nose is bleeding and to clean it up. Nice doesn’t always win. I want us to win. Until such time we will continue to play Geelong in Geelong.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I have absolutely nfi what you mean by this. 

Perhaps has been answered from others

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

… but will they? The Maynard incident tells me they won’t. Why would things get better when the only driving force to make things better is if there was $ to be made in doing so. And that’s seemingly not the way it goes.

Do we know already if there is being proposed some sort of civil action from the Brayshaw Family seeking  that the AFL do something, and i am not sure of what, but along the lines of "possible assault  with intent".

To be fair are players in danger enough to the point of "playing at your own risk so as to not be insurable, and along comes "an unknown danger"

13 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Do we know already if there is being proposed some sort of civil action from the Brayshaw Family seeking  that the AFL do something, and i am not sure of what, but along the lines of "possible assault  with intent".

To be fair are players in danger enough to the point of "playing at your own risk so as to not be insurable, and along comes "an unknown danger"

13 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

45 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution.

Above quote should be a start.

Hmm. It’s a great question.

I think in these times of increasing costs of living and disunity across our country and the Western world in general (post-Brexit, post/pre-Trump, the Referendum sh$tshow etc.) the AFL will continue to enjoy support.

let’s face it, it’s something to get excited and passionate about. Memberships may slide a little over the next few years as the cost crunch really starts, but it’s a quintessentially Australian thing that unites us - even in respect of all hating Collingwood. 

The rules need a LOT of tightening. Whoa. Get it right, AFL. Eliminate as many subjective rules as you possibly can. Train and pay the umpires properly. That will go a long way.

I’m also getting massively on board the AFLW. Is only a good thing in the medium-longer term. A very good thing. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I reckon they will. The AFL will quietly change the rules this offseason so that incident can never happen again. Just like the Cripps fiasco.

We feel disappointed, but that’s part of the journey. It’ll make it so much sweeter when we get what we all want. Theres no justice in the world - so you’ve just got to dance when it’s your turn to dance.

I hated how our season ended, but we are still the best team to support, have the best supporters, and play at easily the best ground.

Of course they will change the rule. Only way they can hedge their bets both ways! 

The feel good story was great, Bruz got his flag but now we'll do something about it so we can appease everyone.

I given up on the AFL a long time ago now. The death of Australian Rules, under the AFL banner, died when they banned sliding in. Ever since that they have tried to manipulate the rules to decrease the likelihood of head knocks, only to have the opposite effect. We now have players leading into a contest head first, with absolute disregard for their well-being, but with the intention of receiving a free kick. With the impending payouts the AFL know they have coming their way, I am just really surprised they didn’t manipulate a Collingwood vs Carlton grand final. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Liverpool Football Club acknowledges PGMOL’s admission of their failures last night. It is clear that the correct application of the laws of the game did not occur, resulting in sporting integrity being undermined.

We fully accept the pressures that match officials work under but these pressures are supposed to be alleviated, not exacerbated, by the existence and implementation of VAR.

It is therefore unsatisfactory that sufficient time was not afforded to allow the correct decision to be made and that there was no subsequent intervention.

That such failings have already been categorised as “significant human error” is also unacceptable. Any and all outcomes should be established only by the review and with full transparency.

This is vital for the reliability of future decision-making as it applies to all clubs with learnings being used to make improvements to processes in order to ensure this kind of situation cannot occur again.

In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution.

Above is a real contemporary example of what I would like to see in terms of communication from the Melbourne FC to its members from another sporting passion of mine. It’s short, sharp, strong and respectful. As a supporter I know that my club is onto it, but I don’t have that same level of faith in the MFC as we don’t know because we don’t hear much. 
 Have the AFL had a good year well commercially yes but operationally I would say no. I just want Melbourne to be seen to be a bit more vocal or transparent about issues that affect our club. You don’t have to be areseholes about it but I just see us as a very nice club that tells opposition players that their nose is bleeding and to clean it up. Nice doesn’t always win. I want us to win. Until such time we will continue to play Geelong in Geelong.

I won't get started on that debacle but the LFC and Klopp handled this in the absolute best way possible.

I would like to see our club meet certain decisions and issues with a bit more resistance. I was so proud of the way we fought the JVR charge however there have been moments this year where I felt we just copped our whack and didn't respond. For most of the second half of the year at games I would watch Gawn for an extended period of time, I needed to see for myself if the treatment off the ball he received was as bad as people had been saying. If anything it was worse, there were the knees in the back and rib ticklers but the number of times Max's head was targeted left me a little queasy. The time has come for us to ask the AFL for a please explain on this because seeing the big American with a medal round his neck is giving me a real Dean Wallis feeling. 

There was also the Maynard and Brayshaw tribunal ruling. I don't know what grounds we had to pipe up about it but I would like to have seen some kind of pressure put on the AFL to appeal this decision. The fact that the defence's argument that Brayshaw's deviated running line basically caused the concussion was unchallenged or even questioned is frankly abhorrent as a look and I say this as a neutral football fan who loves the richness of the game but cares about the future of it with regards to head safety and health.

It's not even over yet, if the AFL over extend with North's assistance package will we make a sound? I doubt it. I know North have been down longer but that opens up the integrity debate for another post. 

• Clap 1

34 minutes ago, layzie said:

I won't get started on that debacle but the LFC and Klopp handled this in the absolute best way possible.

I would like to see our club meet certain decisions and issues with a bit more resistance. I was so proud of the way we fought the JVR charge however there have been moments this year where I felt we just copped our whack and didn't respond. For most of the second half of the year at games I would watch Gawn for an extended period of time, I needed to see for myself if the treatment off the ball he received was as bad as people had been saying. If anything it was worse, there were the knees in the back and rib ticklers but the number of times Max's head was targeted left me a little queasy. The time has come for us to ask the AFL for a please explain on this because seeing the big American with a medal round his neck is giving me a real Dean Wallis feeling. 

There was also the Maynard and Brayshaw tribunal ruling. I don't know what grounds we had to pipe up about it but I would like to have seen some kind of pressure put on the AFL to appeal this decision. The fact that the defence's argument that Brayshaw's deviated running line basically caused the concussion was unchallenged or even questioned is frankly abhorrent as a look and I say this as a neutral football fan who loves the richness of the game but cares about the future of it with regards to head safety and health.

It's not even over yet, if the AFL over extend with North's assistance package will we make a sound? I doubt it. I know North have been down longer but that opens up the integrity debate for another post. 

Agree mate. Clarrie getting held at most stoppages. Worst example being the lights out game against the Lions at the Gabba. They were holding all of our kids, I thought I was watching an episode of dancing with the stars and occasionally a game of football would break out. All it takes is for Max to wander over to the umpires and say “there are 4 of you [censored] out there any danger you can watch what is going on and blow your whistle” You could add the AFL taking Darwin off us as a zone and give it to the suns leaving us with Alice Springs. We could go on and

on  but you’re right we just cop our whack and get on with it. I don’t want us to turn into serial whingers but every now and then I would love them to publicly fly the flag. 

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 1