Welcome to Demonland: Shane McAdam

FrothiesLiam

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Yep

And his two last seasons with the Crows he was subbed off 6 times.

Happy to give him a few games but I don't know why people are talking about him like an 18 y.o we just drafted and needing time to develop. At 28 he's not getting bigger or faster, at 50 games he would have a rough understanding of the pace of the game.

Need to see some improvement reasonably sharpish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, old55 said:

Are you specifically talking about scores per i50 or overall scores for, or both?

In that period we had much greater scores against in both categories. Subsequently we spent big on KPDs not KPFs, and we modified our style to become the best defensive team in the league and that has had a negative flow on effect to our scoring metrics, but as @rjay observes, our ladder position has improved overall.  Chaplin looks like a genius and Stafford has suffered for the cause.

As has been widely noted, this year we're trying to rebalance the ledger to score more but without sacrificing fundamental defence-first and it's a work in progress.

No our scoring efficieny inside 50. 

Yes we have had a defence first mindset but our forward structure imo has been completely lacking. At games our fwd line doesn’t move, they stick hands in the air etc. it’s incredibly frustrating.

love Stafford but I’d rather keep him as a ruck coach and get fresh eyes in

14 hours ago, rjay said:

...and where did we finish on the ladder in those years?

That makes it even worse…..

2 hours ago, Tracca said:

No our scoring efficieny inside 50. 

Yes we have had a defence first mindset but our forward structure imo has been completely lacking. At games our fwd line doesn’t move, they stick hands in the air etc. it’s incredibly frustrating.

love Stafford but I’d rather keep him as a ruck coach and get fresh eyes in

What in the heaven do you like about Staff?  Prey tell?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Me?

as a ruck coach he’s made our captain the best of the modern era.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 58er said:

Doesn’t matter what any of us think of Staff. The players adore him, as does Goody. Everyone at the club loves him. His coaching prowess aside, he’s invaluable in terms of his relationship with the boys. And that matters too. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Doesn’t matter what any of us think of Staff. The players adore him, as does Goody. Everyone at the club loves him. His coaching prowess aside, he’s invaluable in terms of his relationship with the boys. And that matters too. 

The ol' good bloke discount? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m sure Staff is a ripping bloke. I’m more than happy to have him coaching the likes of Max, JvR, Petty, Fullarton (?), BBB and our new recruit in ruck craft.
But when it comes to coaching players where to position themselves inside the forward 50, how to rove to a pack etc he’s not drawing on his experience. We could well use the likes of Matthew Lloyd, J Brown or even Eddie Betts.

11 hours ago, M_9 said:

I’m sure Staff is a ripping bloke. I’m more than happy to have him coaching the likes of Max, JvR, Petty, Fullarton (?), BBB and our new recruit in ruck craft.
But when it comes to coaching players where to position themselves inside the forward 50, how to rove to a pack etc he’s not drawing on his experience. We could well use the likes of Matthew Lloyd, J Brown or even Eddie Betts.

Weird situation where a guy who was a ruck is the forward coach, we're probably the only club that does and everyone complains about our dysfunctional forward line.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, samcantstandya said:

Weird situation where a guy who was a ruck is the forward coach, we're probably the only club that does and everyone complains about our dysfunctional forward line.

Only club with a forward coach that was a non-forward when they played?

Lets check...

Adelaide - Scott Burns
Brisbane - Murray Davis
Carlton - Jordan Russell
Collingwood - Justin Leppitsch
Essendon - Dale Tapping
Fremantle - Jaymie Graham
Geelong - James Rahilly
Gold Coast - Brad Miller
GWS - Jeremy Laidler
Hawthorn - Adrian Hickmott
North Melbourne - Xavier Clarke
Port Adelaide - Chad Cornes
Richmond - Kane Lambert
St Kilda - Robert Harvey
Sydney - Jarrad McVeigh
West Coast - Matthew Knights
Western Bulldogs - Matt Spangher

Not many names who can draw on their experience as forwards amongst that lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 3

23 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Footy Clubs pay on results and not on lovefests. 

As the resident gatekeeper to all players coaches and occasionally others you don’t have to defend every person let alone pull the good bloke and adoring players card. 

ICYHMI most Clubs are full “of good blokes and of  being adored” by players. 

But in a W and L world results are paramount. And in this regard Staff has failed as a forward Coach. I won’t even attempt  to list to support this fact our troubles are legendary despite nearly having our full list of forwards plus back man who I rate  highly as potential or possible savours no visible improvement has occurred over 3 seasons. 

Perfect opportunity to change with new coach McQualter and get a different plan. But no another trick Goody has missed or will do too late, or as a reactive decision he is so good at. 

We all know the definition of insanity……..!!! 

WCW coming into this forum in your position does not mean you have to defend every person who you like to us others who don’t have inner contact or relationships. Our position is clear and I for one don’t doubt that 98 of 100 Dees players officials etc. are good blokes, ladies etc. 

They know they are in the public forum and despite that still put their hand up to do a job. The AFL Tribunal may excuse them ( like Clarke again!!) but as paid employees they are not paid to be good samaritans but successful coaches and players. If they don’t succeed on results they should be subject to criticism and their position based on merit. 

Staffs claims  as a forward player are underwhelming and his coaching of our forwards leaves plenty to be desired. 

There is a time frame and it’s run out and the FD and Goody are dropping the ball on this one. 

I now expect your inevitable reply playing good guy to Staff and bad guy to me for my point of view but I am thicker than you and can cop plenty of criticism. 

But I am certain this one is a winner and what  is needed is a mid season coaches draft change as necessary pronto!! 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 58er said:

Footy Clubs pay on results and not on lovefests. 

As the resident gatekeeper to all players coaches and occasionally others you don’t have to defend every person let alone pull the good bloke and adoring players card. 

ICYHMI most Clubs are full “of good blokes and of  being adored” by players. 

But in a W and L world results are paramount. And in this regard Staff has failed as a forward Coach. I won’t even attempt  to list to support this fact our troubles are legendary despite nearly having our full list of forwards plus back man who I rate  highly as potential or possible savours no visible improvement has occurred over 3 seasons. 

Perfect opportunity to change with new coach McQualter and get a different plan. But no another trick Goody has missed or will do too late, or as a reactive decision he is so good at. 

We all know the definition of insanity……..!!! 

WCW coming into this forum in your position does not mean you have to defend every person who you like to us others who don’t have inner contact or relationships. Our position is clear and I for one don’t doubt that 98 of 100 Dees players officials etc. are good blokes, ladies etc. 

They know they are in the public forum and despite that still put their hand up to do a job. The AFL Tribunal may excuse them ( like Clarke again!!) but as paid employees they are not paid to be good samaritans but successful coaches and players. If they don’t succeed on results they should be subject to criticism and their position based on merit. 

Staffs claims  as a forward player are underwhelming and his coaching of our forwards leaves plenty to be desired. 

There is a time frame and it’s run out and the FD and Goody are dropping the ball on this one. 

I now expect your inevitable reply playing good guy to Staff and bad guy to me for my point of view but I am thicker than you and can cop plenty of criticism. 

But I am certain this one is a winner and what  is needed is a mid season coaches draft change as necessary pronto!! 

Fair enough 58er. But I really need to make one thing crystal clear: I don’t defend everybody. It just seems that way because those people I don’t defend, I choose not to mention.

In Staffy’s case… yes, I find him a lovely, friendly person but what I think of him doesn’t matter one iota. I was just sharing what I’ve been told by those whose opinion of him does matter, ie. he’s very much loved and respected by seemingly everyone there.

Incidentally, when you say you’re thicker than I am, you do mean ‘thicker-skinned’ right? 😉 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

i don't understand that apathy towards stafford at all

as forwards coach he has seen multiple players turned into key forwards, players develop to ability the go into the ruck as pinch-hitters, and fritsch has become the best medium forward in the game, with pickett one of the top five or so small forwards

that's a pretty great resume i would've thought

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 11
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i can't get over that he can't kick more than 30m

he provides nothing in terms of defensive pressure either

very disappointed

He did try one tackle and ended up hurting himself, that'll teach him won't be making that mistake again

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i can't get over that he can't kick more than 30m

he provides nothing in terms of defensive pressure either

very disappointed

It just look like he doesn't try,  a bit like fritsch, if the other team has the ball he won't get out of a jog 

I'm so disappointed with JT. Recruiting has been shocking this year. Mabior chol was up for grabs and we didn't even enquire 

1 minute ago, Bates Mate said:

He did try one tackle and ended up hurting himself, that'll teach him won't be making that mistake again

Not he hurt his shoulder before that, it looked bad, was just in front of me. For some reason he played out the game, the tackle was in the next quarter, he was clearly playing hurt for last quarter and a half. Those around me also saw it, we were all shocked he remained on the ground

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Not he hurt his shoulder before that, it looked bad, was just in front of me. For some reason he played out the game, the tackle was in the next quarter, he was clearly playing hurt for last quarter and a half. Those around me also saw it, we were all shocked he remained on the ground

Bad shoulder or not, he should be able to make the distance from 35 out

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

When Darren Burgess says you aren’t fit enough son - listen.

I hope McAdam has more in him next year, the talent is clear.

But we paid overs for a lemon right now

• Like 2

Early days, but a forward who can’t kick over 30m shouldn’t be playing at this level. Either his body is cooked, or his confidence is cooked. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Don’t blame him blame the recruiters a complete disaster was predictable

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

When Darren Burgess says you aren’t fit enough son - listen.

I hope McAdam has more in him next year, the talent is clear.

But we paid overs for a lemon right now

Off season this year

Out: Grundy, Jordan, harmes

In: mcadam, billings 

That is what I call stitched up. Absolute disgrace