Are West Coast tanking?

10 hours ago, layzie said:

Yes and no.

On another point calls for Simpson's head are rather futile judging from the number of Eagles fans I've spoken to. They back the club and are right behind him. 

He seems part of the problem to me. Belatedly they are getting rid bybretirement butcsermdcyhevplsyers have initiated this mostly. Will be interesting when they do their list snd trading weeks  start.  

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 6:32 AM, Mach5 said:

Buckley went down the same path when WC lost to Essendon by a point, questioning why Adam Simpson was dictating that they specifically did not put a spare man in the backline to hold a late lead.

I did wonder if Bucks holds some resentment towards the team who stopped him from winning a flag as coach.

They can't really as the 6;6;6 rule is in place at the bounce I am certain. Also Simpson said they had not trained for a close finish as they hadn't been in any recently.  Make of that what you will. 

4 minutes ago, 58er said:

He seems part of the problem to me. Belatedly they are getting rid bybretirement butcsermdcyhevplsyers have initiated this mostly. Will be interesting when they do their list snd trading weeks  start.  

Fourth line should read: 

"but it seems the players have"

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, leave it to deever said:

I don't know. They probably are. 

But what about our Swans game.

Just quietly, do we go easier if it means avoiding an interstate final?

Not if it compromises the double chance. We may not have a choice Swans are playing well and kicking straight. 

19 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The Eagles are probably the wealthiest most supported club in the AFL and if not they're in the top three.

Seasons like 2023 are simply unthinkable. It's not just losses. It's the performances and the margin.

Be interested to hear from those in the West what the local media is saying. The injuries are real but their level of performance suggests deep structural concerns that can take 5 plus years to overcome

They will be back up & about quickly...

The list is getting an overhaul, good draft hand, will trade pick 1 & trade out some older players with currency.

Next year will be about regrouping, another run at the draft then they will make a push.

They aren’t tanking they are just bad.

Aging best players who struggle to put games together and whilst they have half a dozen good youngsters years of poor drafting has left a list between the kids and the veterans, which isn’t up to the level.

Simpson lost players in the hub and signing him to a big contract is the only reason he’s not been sacked.

The corporate partners are now pushing for change and that may be the straw, which breaks the camels back.

If Freo were performing at the same level as last season and young fickle fans were jumping onboard and the hip pocket was impacted Simpson would already be gone.

The media was always kind to them with Nisbett threatening their careers if they wrote stories which were bad publicity. Well the tables have turned and some journalists see it as payback and others have jumped onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Not if it compromises the double chance. We may not have a choice Swans are playing well and kicking straight. 

I meant do we perhaps rest a few in the swans game to secure fourth spot?

It's unlikely that we finish in second and if it means going a little below par to avoid finishing third and playing our first final interstate.

Damn we came so close to cementing second spot if it weren't for the Afl to cheap to stump up for a couple of extra cameras.

The pies are not a threat for us as I believe port or lions at their respective home grounds are 

I would also like to see us have a crack again at Carlton in the finals.

The real problem for our team is clearly the lack of a second tall up fwd. Jvr is good but he's no superstar yet. I believe he will be. Ok m trying to be positive but it means we have one (ok to good tall) and nobody else. Petty schache, Bbb and Tmac or Grundy are not going to get it done. That's an unbelievable five choices . No other clubs has it's five key feds out. Maybe Fritta comes back and miraculously hits some good form in time. Does he playnext to Melksham who seems to be struggling again? 

Smith needs to play fwd this weekend. Tommo to be back.

If we don't win a flag this year it will most likely down to both shortsighted recruiting but mostly just sheer bloody dumb luck.

Perhaps our smalls will fire up and get it all done for us but it's a lot to expect. 

Lat year our fwd line failed to kick many goals in both finals and after all our hard work we went out in straight sets.

Something needs to change for as it stands we seem to be in the same predicament.

By finals time Oliver will be back in top form so maybe Trac is a permanent fwd fixture. 

I'm not sure why Goody played Smith mostly as a defender last week. Grundy is not a fwd.

Sorry for the rant and being in the wrong thread. I'm sure I'm not alone either this concern though and I think we are probably equal to the top two teams this year but have just week after week been unlucky with our best players going down. 

The Hawks game is our last chance to rejig our fwd line. For me it's Smith and Jvr. Smith may not be very tall but has a great leap and very athletic. In leau of being a shorter fwd team, let's hope speed prevails.

5 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

They aren’t tanking they are just bad.

Surely they’re both.
Abysmal overall, but managing the result when needed, so as to not let themselves be “punished” by the rare inept performance of an opponent who has mentally prepared for a bye week.

Edited by Mach5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I meant do we perhaps rest a few in the swans game to secure fourth spot?

It's unlikely that we finish in second and if it means going a little below par to avoid finishing third and playing our first final interstate.

Damn we came so close to cementing second spot if it weren't for the Afl to cheap to stump up for a couple of extra cameras.

The pies are not a threat for us as I believe port or lions at their respective home grounds are 

I would also like to see us have a crack again at Carlton in the finals.

The real problem for our team is clearly the lack of a second tall up fwd. Jvr is good but he's no superstar yet. I believe he will be. Ok m trying to be positive but it means we have one (ok to good tall) and nobody else. Petty schache, Bbb and Tmac or Grundy are not going to get it done. That's an unbelievable five choices . No other clubs has it's five key feds out. Maybe Fritta comes back and miraculously hits some good form in time. Does he playnext to Melksham who seems to be struggling again? 

Smith needs to play fwd this weekend. Tommo to be back.

If we don't win a flag this year it will most likely down to both shortsighted recruiting but mostly just sheer bloody dumb luck.

Perhaps our smalls will fire up and get it all done for us but it's a lot to expect. 

Lat year our fwd line failed to kick many goals in both finals and after all our hard work we went out in straight sets.

Something needs to change for as it stands we seem to be in the same predicament.

By finals time Oliver will be back in top form so maybe Trac is a permanent fwd fixture. 

I'm not sure why Goody played Smith mostly as a defender last week. Grundy is not a fwd.

Sorry for the rant and being in the wrong thread. I'm sure I'm not alone either this concern though and I think we are probably equal to the top two teams this year but have just week after week been unlucky with our best players going down. 

The Hawks game is our last chance to rejig our fwd line. For me it's Smith and Jvr. Smith may not be very tall but has a great leap and very athletic. In leau of being a shorter fwd team, let's hope speed prevails.

Imagine if we didn't try our hardest so we finished fourth instead of third...and we got done for tanking!

Newspapers now reporting that Simpson could be on the way out.

Pennant St Dee's post above looks to be on the money...

West Coast are contemplating parting ways with senior coach Adam Simpson and paying out his contract, with the club board making a call on the coach’s position over the next two weeks.

A source close to the discussions confirmed that the club board would decide soon whether to continue with Simpson.

The Eagles had indicated that he would coach into 2024 earlier this year in response to the team’s dismal results – they have lost five games by more than 100 points this year alone. But Simpson’s hold on his job has loosened over the past week after their 101-point loss in the Perth derby against rivals Fremantle.

The Eagles had shown more fight in their previous two games, when they beat North Melbourne and came within a point of upsetting Essendon.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-to-consider-parting-ways-with-simpson-20230817-p5dxan.html