Demons on Track for Premiership Glory

Demonland

13 hours ago, red&blue1982 said:

We have to play more physical, let's not be deluded.

This times 1000. Is and has for a long time been the missing piece that drives the big gap between our best and worst.

17 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Weren't you the one telling us all last year to have faith in our loading program and it will set us up well come finals even though some on here actually raised concerns whether it would?

Awks...

You went into hiding fairly quick after the Brisbane final.

Nice bit of revisionist history dazzler.

I absolutely agree last season that i said we should have had faith in our training program and that it will set us up well come finals.

I believed it last year, and I believe it this year. 

NOTHING that happened last year invalidated that opinion, despite what the ‘I told you’ crew all crowed.  

Even with the benefit of hindsight I would say the same thing about our training program last season. I stand by those comments. 

I made clear - on many, many, many occasions - there were no guarantees,  there were multiple factors at play (many of which the club, rightly keeps mum about), there are any number of things that could impact their preparation (like having multiple players battling injuries) and the reality is we won’t know until finals if they have got it right. 

And I accepted we had some specific weaknesses, highlighting our dependence on Tmac the week before his injury, noting our poor kicking skills and challenge shutting down oppo small and medium forwards. I have acknowledged that I didn’t put enough credence in criticisms about our forward half pressure. 

I also made crystal clear, on so many occasions it’s not funny, that whilst I thought we would win the flag, I accepted there was every chance we wouldn’t. 

It’s not my fault some posters can’t do nuance and see everything in binary outcomes.

Like calling the game today a must win game if we are to be considered a real contender (I’ve even heard some media and fans say we can’t make top 4 if we lose today – sheesh).

I was quiet after the Lions finals loss because I was absolutley devastated. 

But also, seriously what was the point of making any comment? 

All the usual posters with their ‘I told you all along we were no good, I was right’ rhetoric would have just completely drowned out any nuanced discussion of the factors impacting and/or contributing to our performances (eg as we all now know, after flogging the lions in round 23, we came into the finals with as many as 11 players carrying an injury – something that was pretty obvious if you didn’t have the  ‘stop with the excuses, we were just not good enough’ yada, yada, yada blinkers on).

And I’ll point out I didn’t play the ‘I was right’ game in 2021, when my predictions about it all being about being cherry ripe come finals, and what that meant for our chances of winning a flag, were proved overwhelmingly correct. Point me to one post where I crowed about being right to the many, many nay sayers.  

On predictions, I’m batting .500. Pretty good strike rate when you are talking about predictions of winning a flag if you ask me.

So not awkward at all. 

To be perfectly honest, just no patience for back and forths with binary, I was right you were wrong, black and white thinkers who can’t do nuance (not saying that is you Dazzler). 

So, to avoid any future confusion or revisionism, this is my opinion on how we are tracking this year:

• Goody has taken every opportunity to make clear everything is about being ready come finals (a point I have heard Mcrae and Howes both make when asked about their scrappy performances in the last 3 weeks)
  • Last year we only had a 9 day bye break. Unfortunately the same is true this season. 
  • Selwyn Griffith has said that this creates significant challenges with planning when and how to doing the heavier blocks of  power and aerobic conditioning required around the bye period – no doubt they would have learned things from last year in terms of how best to manage this issue
  • I think our training and load management program this season will set us up well come finals
  • I love that Goody is clearly experimenting with all manner of things - even though that decreases the chances of us winning individual games (it’s all about the finals)
  • I love the fact that goody has taken cues from the what the Cats did last year, for example managing hibbo – things many posters were crying out for him to copy last season 
  • I think the Pies are an excellent team, but have not achieved anything year and are ridiculously overrated (including by many posters on DL)
  • I think we are a better team than the Pies
  • I acknowledge we have some key weaknesses –  eg, for the second year running the second tall forward is an issue, with salo in Mcvee helps address the small forward issue, but it still concerns me, I prefer Petty back and worry about the third tall if he doesn’t play back, Hunter and Mcvee have improved our overall kicking skills, but it still concerns me
  • We are not playing in a vacuum - ALL team have key weaknesses, including everyone’s favourite team the Pies 
  • I think we will win the flag 
  • I think we should be favourites to win the flag –  if I was framing a market, i would have us as $5 favs, with the pies second favourite at 5.50 (pies are currently fav at a ridiculously short 3.50 – we are equal second fav on 5.50)
  • But to be CRYSTAL CLEAR that doesn’t mean I think there is a chance we won’t win it 
  • $5 is 4-1 in the old. Which means that if the season is played out 100 times, even as 4-1 favourites we lose 80 times and only win 20 times 
  • (On the pies everyone seems to have them as lock to win the flag. Well, except punters that is. Let’s say you think the Pies should be even shorter than their current 3.50 quote. Perhaps you are really bullish and have them at $2. That’s even money. Which by the by, is the price of the dominant tiger’s team at the start of 2018 finals. Meaning if the season is played out 100 times, even as even money favourites they only win 50 times ie they lose as often as they win)
  • So, if it easier for people to process – what I mean when I say I think the dees will win the flag is we are the team most likely to win the flag (but another team winning the flag is the most probable outcome)
Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

I won't quote that whole thread of yours @binman because I don't want a double up on a long well written out message.

Bit that's not bad by you, actually well written and you've clearly put time into that response.

You make some valid points indeed.

My main point was that there are some on here that have the right to reserve their judgement on team performance and shouldn't have to be told what and how they should feel on current team performance.

There are still some patterns of behaviour still lingering from the team of last year that probably why some are still hesitant with being over too optimistic.

Me personally? I'm in the camp of just reserving my judgement for now. And on top of that, I actually think we win today.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, binman said:

I absolutely agree last season that said we should have had faith in our training program and that it will set us up well come finals. I believed it last year, and I believe it this year. 

NOTHING that happened last year invalidated that opinion, despite what the ‘I told you’ crew all crowed.  

Even with the benefit of hindsight I would say the same thing about our training program last season. I stand by comments. 

I made clear - on many, many, many occasions - there were no guarantees,  there were multiple factors at play (many of which the club, rightly keeps mum about), there are any number of things that could impact their preparation (like having multiple players battling injuries) and the reality is we won’t know until finals if they have got it right. 

And I accepted we had some specific weaknesses, highlighting our dependence on Tmac the week before his injury and noting our poor kicking skills and challenge shutting down oppo small and medium forwards. I acknowledge that I didn’t put enough credence in criticisms about our forward half pressure. 

I also made crystal clear, on so many occasions it’s not funny, that whilst I thought we would win the flag, I accepted there was every chance we wouldn’t. 

It’s not my fault some posters can’t do nuance and see everything in binary outcomes. Like calling the game today a must win game if we are to be considered a real contender (I’ve even heard some media and fans say we can’t make top 4 if we lose today – sheesh).

All the usual posters with their ‘I told you all along we were no good, I was right’ rhetoric would have just completely drowned out any nuanced discussion of the factors impacting and/or contributing to our performances (eg as we all now know, after flogging the lions in round 23, we came into the finals with as many as 11 players carrying an injury – something that was pretty obvious if you didn’t have blinkers on – ‘stop with the excuses, we were just not good enough’ yada, yada, yada).

And I’ll point out I didn’t play the ‘I was right’ game in 2021, when my predictions about it all being about being cherry ripe come finals, and what that meant for our chances of winning a flag, were proved overwhelmingly correct. Point me to one post where I crowed about being right to the many, many nay sayers.  

On predictions, I’m batting .500.  Pretty good strike rate when you are talking about predictions of winning a flag if you ask me.

So not awkward at all. 

To be perfectly honest, just no patience for back and forths with binary, I was right you were wrong, black and white thinkers who can’t do nuance (not saying that is you Dazzler). 

So, to avoid any future confusion or revisionism, this is my opinion on how we are tracking this year:

• Goody has taken every opportunity to make clear everything is about being ready come finals (a point I have heard Mcrae and Howes both make when asked about their scrappy performances in the last 3 weeks)
  • Last year we only had a 9 day bye break. Unfortunately the same is true this season. 
  • Selwyn Griffith has said that this creates significant challenges with planning when and how to doing the heavier blocks of  power and aerobic conditioning required around the bye period – no doubt they would have learned things from last year in terms of how best to manage this issue
  • I think our training and load management program this season will set us up well come finals
  • I love that Goody is clearly experimenting with all manner of things - even though that decreases the chances of us winning individual games (it’s all about the finals)
  • I love the fact that goody has taken cues from the what the Cats did last year, for example managing hibbo – things many posters were crying out for him to copy last season 
  • I think the Pies are an excellent team, but have not achieved anything year and are ridiculously overrated (including by many posters on DL)
  • I acknowledge we have some key weaknesses –  eg, for the second year running the second tall forward is an issue, with salo in Mcvee helps address the small forward issue, but it still concerns me, I prefer Petty back and worry about the third tall if he doesn’t play back, Hunter and Mcvee have improved our overall kicking skills, but it still concerns me
  • We are not playing in a vacuum - ALL team have key weaknesses, including everyone’s favourite team the Pies 
  • I think we should be favourites to win the flag –  if I was framing a market, i would have us as $5 favs, with the pies second favourite at 5.50 (pies are currently fav at a ridiculously short 3.50 – we are equal second fav on 5.50)
  • But to be CRYSTAL CLEAR that doesn’t mean I think there is a chance we won’t win it 
  • $5 is 4-1 in the old. Which means that if the season is played out 100 times, even as 4-1 favourites we lose 80 times and only win 20 times 
  • (On the pies everyone seems to have them as lock to win the flag. Well, except punters that is. Let’s say you think the Pies should be even shorter than their current 3.50 quote. Perhaps you are really bullish and have them at $2. That’s even money. Which by the by, is the price of the dominant tiger’s team at the start of 2018 finals). Meaning if the season is played out 100 times, even as even money favourites they only win 50 times (ie they lose as often as they win)
  • So if it easier for people to process – what I mean when I say I think the dees will win the flag, is we are the team most likely to win the flag (but another team winning the flag is the most probable outcome)

You feel better now

• Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, D4Life said:

Just wait till we sort it out!!

That's the part that gives me goosebumps. Our forward line is functioning remarkably well considering that the traditional key target role is so understaffed. Even incremental progress from Van Rooyen and a steady advance in the Grawndy collaboration would be enough to make it a truly terrifying prospect for opposition defences.

• Like 1

I think our success really hinges on our forward line improving. It started out so well in the pre season games with Gawn and Grundy kicking goals. Then Bbb added 4 a game for the first 2 followed by Jvr with a good showing on debut. But it went shizen for a while. Just when Petty started to dominate he went down. Chandler has gone quiet. Kozzie is not at his best and even the ever reliable Fritta is low on confidence.

Last week Jvr looked really strong. Petty is getting closer to returning. Just need our smalls to get going again and maybe Bbb to hit some form and return.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My main point was that there are some on here that have the right to reserve their judgement on team performance and shouldn't have to be told what and how they should feel on current team performance.

There are still some patterns of behaviour still lingering from the team of last year that probably why some are still hesitant with being over too optimistic.

I agree with all points here.

And 100% agree that posters have the right to reserve their judgement on team performance and shouldn't have to be told what and how they should feel on current team performance.

I don't think I do so, but acknowledge that I probably get close to the line.

I really don't mind where people land on assessing us.

Where i get frustrated is when all of the factors are not properly factored I and/or considered. Particularly when it involves parroting media contender or pretender talking points.

6 hours ago, binman said:

I absolutely agree last season that i said we should have had faith in our training program and that it will set us up well come finals.

I believed it last year, and I believe it this year. 

Even with the benefit of hindsight I would say the same thing about our training program last season. I stand by those comments. 

And I accepted we had some specific weaknesses, highlighting our dependence on Tmac the week before his injury, noting our poor kicking skills and challenge shutting down oppo small and medium forwards. I have acknowledged that I didn’t put enough credence in criticisms about our forward half pressure. 

It’s not my fault some posters can’t do nuance and see everything in binary outcomes.

Like calling the game today a must win game if we are to be considered a real contender (I’ve even heard some media and fans say we can’t make top 4 if we lose today – sheesh).

All the usual posters with their ‘I told you all along we were no good, I was right’ rhetoric would have just completely drowned out any nuanced discussion of the factors impacting and/or contributing to our performances (eg as we all now know, after flogging the lions in round 23, we came into the finals with as many as 11 players carrying an injury – something that was pretty obvious if you didn’t have the  ‘stop with the excuses, we were just not good enough’ yada, yada, yada blinkers on).

On predictions, I’m batting .500. Pretty good strike rate when you are talking about predictions of winning a flag if you ask me.

So not awkward at all. 

• (On the pies everyone seems to have them as lock to win the flag. Well, except punters that is. Let’s say you think the Pies should be even shorter than their current 3.50 quote. Perhaps you are really bullish and have them at $2. That’s even money. Which by the by, is the price of the dominant tiger’s team at the start of 2018 finals. Meaning if the season is played out 100 times, even as even money favourites they only win 50 times ie they lose as often as they win)
  • So, if it easier for people to process – what I mean when I say I think the dees will win the flag is we are the team most likely to win the flag (but another team winning the flag is the most probable outcome)

Changed my tip after reading this post. Thank you very much good sir!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just want to ask if anyone still considers Goody to be a poor coach?

We nullified Collingwood's attack today, generating lots of turnovers through the middle. Collingwood's 17 shots at goal was their lowest this year.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, deanox said:

Just want to ask if anyone still considers Goody to be a poor coach?

We nullified Collingwood's attack today, generating lots of turnovers through the middle. Collingwood's 17 shots at goal was their lowest this year.

Can't innovate either apparently.

Fritter playing on Moore and dragging him deep must have really confused Mcrae then.

On that match up, on the way home one of the sen pundits, I think Gerard heally, who by the by gave us a big wrap, said he had that battle as even.

Moore, who is a gun, had six intercepts and played well.

But fritter kicked 3 of our 8 goals, so surely he gets the points.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

Just now, binman said:

Cany innovavate either apparently.

Fritter playing on Moore and dragging him deep must have really confused Mcrae then.

On that match up, on the way home one of the sen pundits, I think Gerard heally, who by the by gave us a big wrap, said he had that battle as even.

Moore, who is a gun, had six intercepts and played well.

But fritter kicked 3 of our 8 goals, so surely he gets the points.

We worked hard to engineer that early, with Moore wanting to go to Smith.

At the 666 set ups in the first quarter we positioned 4 players in the one flank corner. It was a strange set up, but it was designed to ensure that Moore wasn't able to get the space he needed.

I thought the way we pushed up on the pies attack to shut down space was first rate, and clearly an intended tactic.

We worked hard to own the corridor and push them wide - tactically important decision. We generated turnovers in the corridor when they tried to switch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today showed we can beat the pies all over the ground and on the scoreboard, massively if we kick straight. 

While they are on top of the ladder our performance is comparable.  They have lost to two top 4 teams and yet to play port.  We have lost to two top 4 teams and beaten one.

We are the better team.  I've been predicting a dees vs pies GF for a while.  I'll now go out on a limb and say the premiership is ours to lose!!  Altho after today it could be a Dees vs Port GF!!

Edited by Lucifers Hero