History Repeating Itself.

grazman

Maybe its because I'm a keen student of history, or maybe its because of my appreciation for ironic symbolism that I’m drawn to this topic. Almost certainly some will argue that I’m clutching at straws and I can’t completely discount that either, but as footy supporters if we don't live in hope - what other alternative is there?

Round Six 2007 looms as much as a watershed for Neale Daniher as it did in 97 for Neil Balme. I made mention the other day of the complete contrast in the reactions to both Paul Gardner and Joseph Gutnik in response to poor on field performances. It was against the Saints in this very round that Joseph stormed the commentary box and promised the Melbourne faithful that things would change or heads would roll. Three weeks later after a dismal outing at AAMI against Port Balme was shown the door.

Many would claim the current season was derailed against the Saints and a similar showing against Port in 2007 will virtually assure the same future for Daniher. I won’t head down the slippery slope of blame and recrimination, there are plenty of others doing that, but it is striking the number of similarities in the seasons.

Ten years ago we managed to topple the reigning premiers (North) in Round 1 and from there it was all downhill as we copped a bath a week later against Collingwood. We hit Round 9 against the Power at 1 and seven. We front them this week, at 0 and five and realistically are only a slightly better chance of beating them this year as we were ten years ago. By round 9 we may realistically even be in a worse situation than we were ten years ago.

The most obvious parallels between the two years was the impact that injuries had on the field. There’s no doubt that Balme was unlucky. . As the Footy Almanac suggested, 1996 was a dismal one for the club on the injury front, it certainly wasn’t destined to improve in 97. Schwarz was returning from a third knee reconstruction, Prymke never played again, Lyon managed only five injury ravaged games and Tingay only three. Glen Lovett (14) and Leoncelli (12) ensured that there would be no continuity in keeping our best players out on the park and left far too much to too few. Stynes, Viney, Febey, Ingerson and Brett Lovett battled on, but the supporting cast was thin. There were the youthful Neitz, Farmer, Yze and Woewodin, but the rest were largely football journeymen that were not to endure for much longer.

A break down of the lists suggests that the lists are relatively similar in age composition

Aged 18-21 - 1997 (13) -2007 (17)

Aged 22-25 - 1997 (11) -2007 (8)

Aged 26-29 - 1997 (11) -2007 (9)

Aged 18-21 - 1997 (7) -2007 (8).

The view at the time was that the 97 list was no good – the worst ever, well until this year apparently. Like most when I think of future on field performance, I look to the junior talent. For the sake of comparison the following names were 21 and under in 1997.

Mark Bradly, The CC twins (3 games between them), Farmer (37), Clayton Gardiner, Grgic, Hayden Lamaro, Nicholson, Yze (19), Woewodin, Mark Winterton, Todd McHardy, and Leigh Newton. Of those at the start of 97 only two had indicated that they would be regular senior players and only Woewodin, Nicholson and Grgic would join them to become established league players.

In 2007 we have:

Bartram,(22) Bate (14), Buckley, Dunn(11), Frawley, Garland, CJ (13), Jones (8), McLean(47), Neville, Newton, Petterd, Weetra, Bode, Hughes, Neaves and formerly Hayes. It’s debatable, but I’d argue that the 2007 season saw us far more reliant on our juniors than we were ten years ago. We know not all will go on to play senior football, we know some will become very good players

This is even more evident if we are to compare the 22 and 23 year olds. Rivers (61), Moloney (51), Sylvia (36), Bell (28), PJ (11), and Warnock (2) opposed to 1997’s Charles (43), Leoncelli (33), Pesch (31), Neitz (3) and Gaspar (0).

I’ll let others prognosticate as to the relative merits of the two lists, the point I’m getting at is that there is a core group there to move beyond 2007 as there was in 97.

Port Adelaide have shown that the fortunes of a footy club can turn around very quickly.

In 1998 significantly we had a new coach, the No 1 draft pick, a high profile recruit, a seasoned veteran courtesy of the PSD and importantly our best players back on deck.

I have no idea how the rest of the year will shape up, (Its still far too early to start dreaming of draft picks), but if the trend continues, then I am happy to look ahead.

Another little piece of history, when Daniher started as coach he described the list as 'brittle'....

It was and I'm certainly not saying the list doesn't have its problems - it certainly does, but there is also reason to be optimistic. No team including the Eagles, Swans or Lions before them have had a "perfect" list.

so is the point about history repeating itself and the promise of hope presupposed upon the merit that we then get a change of coach ?...as thats what happened !! :D

I can remember the game MFC played against Port in 97, which was the match that directly led to Balme's departure. It was the worst display of footy I have ever seen, makes their play this year look polished. They were undermanned but gee, what have they learnt in 10 years !

Guest dee'viator
so is the point about history repeating itself and the promise of hope presupposed upon the merit that we then get a change of coach ?...as thats what happened !! :D

Finding the right girlfriend.

Does one find a girl, any girl & stay with that one forever & a day?. Or does one date many girls until firstly one learns what is good & what is'nt & then out of the good ones a Right one finally becomes apparent?!

Perhaps 10 years is far too long.

my point was satirical towards the origianl post..

it presumed all was well as history was about to repeat itself.. I simply proposed that if so then a new coach was on the horizon and THIS is where the hope is :P