AFLW: Finals Week 02

Demonland

Adelaide would beat Collingwood you’d think

North over the Tiges? But then again North looked distinctly average against the Cats and even they acknowledged they were lucky to win. 
Still think all these 4 teams are just making up the numbers though and they may as well just schedule the Melbourne V Brisbane GF now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Based on dates, does this make it likely that the grand final is on 26 November?

Against all odds I'll actually be in Melb and would love to watch the game in person finally!

Both semis are on a Saturday which probably means both prelims will be on a Saturday too (19 Nov). The GF, if in Melbourne, will be on either the Saturday (Vic. State Election Day, but that doesn’t make any difference) or the Sunday, and if in Brisbane, (Bris are pushing hard to host it) on the Saturday. This is what we’re hearing but nothing is official yet. 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Hope we play the prelim in a good local ground like Princes Park. Would be a cracking atmosphere 

I hope it’s at Princes Park too, Dub. Awesome venue and we play well there. I’d love if the GF was played there, too (assuming we make it) but it would most likely be at Marvel. Or worst case scenario- in Brisbane.

Edit: I just heard our prelim is most likely to be played at Princes Park on the Saturday. But that’s still unofficial. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

One prelim on the Friday night? The 'Brisbane' one, allowing them an extra day as a sop for the travel to a Melbourne GF?🤞

And maybe an (early) night GF?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

One prelim on the Friday night? The 'Brisbane' one, allowing them an extra day as a sop for the travel to a Melbourne GF?🤞

And maybe an (early) night GF?

Why would Brisbane have to travel to Melbourne for the Grand Final. Don't they have home ground advantage for finishing on top?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Why would Brisbane have to travel to Melbourne for the Grand Final. Don't they have home ground advantage for finishing on top?

Just going by @WalkingCivilWar's reporting, observations by others here, and also Nicole Livingstone's prevarication earlier in the season on the question of GF location.

Hence my🤞🙂

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Demonland said:

It’s not cut and dried though. The GF is said to be at Marvel regardless of who’s playing. Brisbane are currently insisting on hosting it should they make it, which is fair enough. I’m guessing no announcement until the semis are done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just assumed that the higher ranked team in AFLW got the choice of venue based on Adelaide hosting it last year. I would be filthy if I was Brisbane and had to play at Marvel. As a Demon fan I am delighted by this unexpected turn of events.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Thanks @WalkingCivilWar!

Like Tim, really hope it ends up in Melb!  I won't be able to travel for any of the games and Brisbane is not on the cards, so selfishly I would love for the GF to end up at Marvel.

Not selfish at all DP! That’s exactly where I hope it is too. 🙂 Anywhere in Melbourne would be great. The Gabba not so much. We’ve never played there. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Very strange decision by the ALFW to schedule the Richmond North game at a low-capacity venue and in a timeslot that clashes with the matildas. Way to grow the game

I was going to go and check out the oppo. I guess they didn't want my money? Also, I'd be pretty annoyed if I was one of only (presumably) a couple of thousand RIchmond members, and didn't even get a ticket to this game. Way to treat your members.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, Demonland said:

I just assumed that the higher ranked team in AFLW got the choice of venue based on Adelaide hosting it last year. I would be filthy if I was Brisbane and had to play at Marvel. As a Demon fan I am delighted by this unexpected turn of events.

There are problems with venue availability. Apparently, most options have been ruled out:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Very strange decision by the ALFW to schedule the Richmond North game at a low-capacity venue and in a timeslot that clashes with the matildas. Way to grow the game

Richmond share some of the blame, too, as they're insisting on holding it there rather than move to a larger venue.

Lots of unhappy supporters from both clubs on social media. 

AFL is also potentially setting a dangerous precedent by agreeing to prioritise home ground advantage ahead of crowd numbers - ie the Geelong home final question, which has so far been off the table. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Terrible decision. And if we do get to host the GF, I would be using this decision as a precedent to not play at the dump that is Marvel.

3 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

Richmond share some of the blame, too, as they're insisting on holding it there rather than move to a larger venue.

Lots of unhappy supporters from both clubs on social media. 

AFL is also potentially setting a dangerous precedent by agreeing to prioritise home ground advantage ahead of crowd numbers - ie the Geelong home final question, which has so far been off the table. 

Was our preference in Week 1 to play at Casey or Ikon?

Training photos - West looks unhampered by the leg issue from Friday night, L.Pearce still has shoulder strapping but participated.

Not related to finals, but something nice to see in our week off

DSC06166.jpg?width=1240

Edited by Dees_In_October
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1246202

There will be a bbq put on by the Demon Army at this Saturday’s open training at Ikon. ❤️💙

The game was never a chance of getting the go ahead at the Gabba. You can’t have a football game on a pitch that will be hosting first class and test cricket.

Brisbane can use the Richmond decision as a basis to play the game at a small qld ground. Afl can’t say no.

amateur hour at afl HQ

• Like 4