From the vault

40 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

This mark was taken on this day, 1 September, in 1995 by the father of a current day player.

IMG_4536.thumb.jpeg.4de1475d8cbf8833f6338b4301dafffe.jpeg

I was sitting behind the goals when this happened! Unfortunately didn't have a camera with me, it's the only time I've been to an interstate game. We were on a family holiday to the GC and went to this game with my cousins.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Video of the last time Melbourne played Collingwood in a final way back in 1989.

Oddly played at Waverley Park of all places?!

Elimination Finals were always at Waverley Qualifying Finals were always at the G (except 1990 for some reason?)

This poster was produced for sale on this day, 2 September, in 2000 which was the date of that year’s AFL Grand Final. The AFL season ended earlier that year because of the Sydney Olympic Games.

Unfortunately, most of the posters were pulped because Essendon 19.21.135 defeated Melbourne 11.9.75 in the Grand Final and a different poster went on sale after the game. 
IMG_4527.thumb.jpeg.78cb37c6708720d03b849ac0c4aa7539.jpeg

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

This poster was produced for sale on this day, 2 September, in 2000 which was the date of that year’s AFL Grand Final. The AFL season ended earlier that year because of the Sydney Olympic Games.

Unfortunately, most of the posters were pulped because Essendon 19.21.135 defeated Melbourne 11.9.75 in the Grand Final and a different poster went on sale after the game. 
IMG_4527.thumb.jpeg.78cb37c6708720d03b849ac0c4aa7539.jpeg

I worked as a copy boy in the sporting department at the Herald in the 1970’s. One of the perks was that immediately after the GF, the boys working in the sporting department could grab some winner  GF posters and rush off to the MCG to sell them. One season I made around $60. Both sets were stacked near the loading bay ready for distribution with the final daily edition of the Saturday Herald. Unfortunately Melbourne never featured in the GF then but if they did even if we lost I would have grabbed some for sure. In hindsight I should have grabbed some of the other loser posters. I imagine they are collectors items these days.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

On this day, 19 September, 1987, an even worse result than last Friday ~

That still remains, to me, the worst loss in our clubs history. I was 9, and got to see all 3 finals up close. Buckenara kicked from just in front of me and my dad.

Its weird that this was 36 years ago, because I’ve only just turned 29 (again)🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

That still remains, to me, the worst loss in our clubs history. I was 9, and got to see all 3 finals up close. Buckenara kicked from just in front of me and my dad.

Its weird that this was 36 years ago, because I’ve only just turned 29 (again)🤔

i still feel sick when i see any footage from this game

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The MFC team of 1895.

Things were so much simpler back in those days.

IMG_4843.thumb.jpeg.024f4a44f46ebfc83c3e36ed70989af2.jpeg

Ah, the heritage guernsey. Bring it back?

Another "could of been" WEG Grand Final Poster for the Melbourne Demons way back in 1988. Sadly, we got smashed by the Hawks that day. However, it is still a brilliant poster by the legendary artist WEG!

Fingers crossed it can be re-used one day just like the 1958 WEG Grand Final poster was back in 2021! 🤞

1988 Melbourne.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:10 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

On this day, 19 September, 1987, an even worse result than last Friday ~

Thanks for these old clips, WJ.

Are you aware that John Kennedy’s “goal”in Q4 hit the post.

As you can see on the film of the match, the goal umpire was momentarily unsighted by the pack of players above him. He then looked up to see the ball on the goal side of the post.

Jimmy Stynes tried to tell him it was a point, but of course he took no notice.

That would have put, us through to the GF to play Carlton, whom we beat three times in 1988, including in the finals.

13 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

On this day 30 September, 1939, the team played fine …

That is really interesting footage. Everyone in suits/best dresses, and hats!! And the speed of the game seems to be not much different to now, because it is so open. And I love to see a drop kick!

Was Barassi Snr playing?

• Like 1