GAMEDAY: AFLW Rd 07 vs Brisbane Lions

5 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

West lacks the skills required for the level.

Her kicking needs work yes, but her ability to get the ball, her disposal by hand and her work without the ball is all well above average.  I expect her kicking technique will improve drastically before next season.

Some great performances (Harris 😲), very happy with the win.  I guess time will tell how much the Lions were affected by the schedule.

Edited by S_T
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

They went our very hard to begin with. After a four-day break, they were sure to find the going tough after half time.

wasn't easy for our girls either. trip up to brisbane then the high humidity with slippery ball. probably why they took a half to adjust. 

(Back again, briefly)

Just watched the replay. Good stuff!

But, point of order, Your Honours: if the siren has gone, and the ball comes off hands, isn't it 'dead', i.e. no score? If so, I hope Bodey's point doesn't come back to bite us...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, binman said:

Agree on bolded bit (and the rest actually). She is such a clever footballer - exhibit A was her decision to play on immediately after marking about 45 out, running to 30 and kicking the goal. She would never have made it from 45 and gave them no time to cover the line.

Also loved how she kept running towards goal on the off chance the ball stopped before crossing the line. That is a smart footy brain at work

Speaking of smart, it was a good move putting her forward i thought as she is natural footballer, like Tayla, and as such reads the ball in flight super well, which gives her a big advantage over lots of defenders, many of who it seems me struggle one on one against such players.

Libby Birch stands out becuase she is one defender that reads the ball so well. I'm starting to think she is up there in our top 2-3 most important players. 

Bannons goal in Rd1 was one of the most exciting I've see in the womens comp.
A turn of blistering speed to burn off her pursuer and then kick the goal at top pace 😎👌

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/22/2022 at 7:32 AM, rpfc said:

And @Kick_It_To_Pickett - can you cool your jets when you call out the league as a a whole based on the officiating? It’s not helpful and is disrespectful to what they have built - which is amazing in 6 years. It isn’t diminished by the officiating.

On the umpiring, yes, the quality is not ideal but it matches where the competition's at. For the most part, I'm pretty sure these are developing umpires working on their craft. So I agree, while it's frustrating, it's just where things are for the league.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:27 AM, binman said:

What she lacks in skills and finesse she makes up 10 fold with her intensity and attack on the ball. In that sense she reminds me a lot of Viney.

Goldie as a Viney type is spot on! Attack of the footy, occasionally tries to do too much, but brings a great hunger.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, Dees2014 said:

Obviously loves the Demons after having a couple of unhappy experiences in her two other clubs. Interesting the way highly talented but quirky individuals are so settled at the dees when they weren’t at other clubs (eg Ben Brown, Jake Lever) and therefore allows them to play great footy. Says a lot about the sophistication of our management practices - all credit to them and just adds to our credibility as an elite performance organisation. Ms Roffy - take a bow. 

Agree and interesting point. Tayla's been through more in terms of media stuff - both positive and negative, a double-edged sword for anyone, particularly a young person - than any other AFLW player. People who know nothing about AFLW see her as an over-hyped player who got an undeserving statue. I agree she comes across as someone who marches to their own drum, and to some extent the pressure/commentary she's received comes with the territory of being a face of the game (not the sexist stuff, obviously that's just not on). Doesn't make it easier to deal with though and still just 24 years old. She comes across a bit defensive about certain aspects of her game in interviews and chooses her words carefully because she knows they will be thrown back at her. So good to see her happy though - that's what fans should want for all players.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, S_T said:

Her kicking needs work yes, but her ability to get the ball, her disposal by hand and her work without the ball is all well above average.  I expect her kicking technique will improve drastically before next season.

Agree completely (no big surprise there!). Like a lot of players in the league at this stage, she can get away with having one poor aspect of her game because she's got a couple of very good attributes. Her kicking likely won't improve in-season, but her college basketball background means she'll hopefully be very coachable in this regard. And pretty sure this is her second season of footy, full stop.

It's the same reason cross-coders in general will continue to get a run for a while yet - brings a certain standard of fitness and training habits, ability to implement a game plan at least in theory, and the transferable skills ideally cover the potentially costly downsides (like 50-metre penalties due to lack of game awareness or an unsuccessful running bounce attempt, etc.) I keep repeating myself, but more players like West will be extremely important in the next expansion phase.

• Like 1