Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Poor State of the Game

sue

11 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

dunno, but it should open up space and it'd be my preferred option to turning the game into netball

It doesn't turn it into netball.   The game becomes what it has been for a hundred years

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, one_demon said:

We still have the same problem.  There's too many players around the ball. 

Why?.., because that's what the coaches want

We all want the prayers to spread out, but the coaches won't do it.   

So the solution is to force the prayers to spread out.   How?... by having three or four players from each team in the forward fifties at every stoppage. 

It's a new rule that you won't even notice.   All you'll notice is that the players are spread out more.  

Fantastic idea

As a matter of fact I was talking to a mate about your very idea just a couple of weeks ago.

Draconian penalties as well though ... free kick 10 metres out from goal straight in front.

So let's say it was 4 players from each team (maybe even 5) who must be inside each 50 arc at each stoppage.  Stoppages can happen at any time and there are stacks of them in every match that we witness. Often 40+

So what coach would risk a certain goal?  What if was a 2 goal penalty just to make sure?

So we'd (in theory) see 14 - 20 players in their forward or back positions for most (if not all) of the games.

Problem solved as I see it as long as kicking backwards was outlawed (kicking over the mark was one of the original rules of the game for good reason)

You should send your idea off to Steve Hocking.  Quite seriously,  do it.

I have had my own ideas on how to fix the sport but I'm happy to abandon those thoughts for your idea.  Immediately.  You've sold me.

Edited by Macca

1 hour ago, one_demon said:

You'll never spread the players out with small rules changes like 666 or limiting rotations. The only way is to force them to spread out. 

Small.?

I'm suggesting throwing the rule book into the fire;  and resurrecting the 1990 rule book.   That's not a small rule change.

Having a set number of players in the forward/defensive 50s at each stoppage might work, but it might not.

If it's, say, 4 from each team, that's 10 from each team in the middle who can, and most likely will, follow the ball around.

Another issue to consider is how the rule is enforced. When does the rule kick in? At the time the whistle is blown to call a bounce/throw in? At the time of the bounce/throw in? And who polices it? Do the umpires stop and wait for players to go back into their 50s? Do we have extra umpires watching (can we afford more umpires)? Do we have a video umpire?

I'm not saying it can't work, but I'm not convinced it will, and I'm not convinced it's logistically simple.

• Like 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

Having a set number of players in the forward/defensive 50s at each stoppage might work, but it might not.

If it's, say, 4 from each team, that's 10 from each team in the middle who can, and most likely will, follow the ball around.

Another issue to consider is how the rule is enforced. When does the rule kick in? At the time the whistle is blown to call a bounce/throw in? At the time of the bounce/throw in? And who polices it? Do the umpires stop and wait for players to go back into their 50s? Do we have extra umpires watching (can we afford more umpires)? Do we have a video umpire?

I'm not saying it can't work, but I'm not convinced it will, and I'm not convinced it's logistically simple.

Trial & error would see a satisfactory result ... there would be bumps and roadblocks but the theory can win out (eventually)

Just have to find a way that it can work. You'd need line judges but if the penalties are draconian the coaches would be forced to leave their players in the arcs (no matter when the stoppage rule was enforced)

Like many others I need a reason to watch the sport again (it's an eyesore IMO) ... even the millennials are complaining now.  It is now an across the board issue.

4 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i'd go 16 on field before zones

quite happy for the 6-6-6 set-up to become a 5-6-5 one, sit six on the bench, and have rotations capped at something utterly arbitrary like 66

no way six on the bench unless three were subs

The key is trialling it in lower level comps(and of course the AFL defunded the VFL)

Must say I liked the Suns colours. Absolutely clear from Geelong. Even the North Bulldogs contrasts were not as clear distinction wise

29 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

no way six on the bench unless three were subs

The key is trialling it in lower level comps(and of course the AFL defunded the VFL)

Must say I liked the Suns colours. Absolutely clear from Geelong. Even the North Bulldogs contrasts were not as clear distinction wise

i reckon the aflpa will fight tooth and nail for it to be 22 players games every week in every team, hence six on the pine might be required if you go from 22/4 to 16/6

the true 'nuclear option' solution to fixing the quality of football might be reducing the # of teams, not changing the total of players on field, or where they're stationed, or anything like that

but who wants to see six clubs die? fortunately it would seem not the afl commission

personally, i know i turned off tonight in one game (bears v pear) at half time, and the other (kangas v footscray) about 5 mins into the third

as a neutral, i'd rather see a hard fought fight that's tight and exciting than a blow out one way

On 7/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, Hell Bent said:

I hope the AFL sit down and watch last nights Storm v Roosters match. 

Their product is light years ahead of us and far more enjoyable to watch. They are 2 of the best defending teams for a decade and yet it was fast,  attacking, entertaining and high scoring. 

I'm a footy tragic in my 50s but my interest is at an all time low. The spectacle is putrid right now. 

In fairness, they are the 2 best teams in the comp.  There are some extremely average NRL games. 

4 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Because it’s the only way to fix congestion which is the biggest issue in the game.

More changed rules are Not the answer.   You younger guys are exactly the same as those AFL directors, who have changed all the old rules out,  across the past 25Yrs.  Unwittingly, altering the game away from what its uniqueness was.

The way to undo the mess,  is to undo all the rule changes over the past 25 years.  This will take the game back,  largely,  to what it was.

13 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Do the umpires stop and wait for players to go back into their 50s? Do we have extra umpires watching (can we afford more umpires)?

On field umpires don't police the starting positions.  You have an off field umpire who docks rotations from the team with every breach of the rule. 

4 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

The way to undo the mess,  is to undo all the rule changes over the past 25 years.  This will take the game back,  largely,  to what it was.

Will that stop the coaches from moving all the players around the ball?

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Fatigue will dictate that. But only if the rotations are limited drastically 

Coaches will still direct their players to congregate around the ball.   We want to stop the coaches from using that tactic.  It's that very tactic that's ruined the game. 

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 1

Just now, one_demon said:

Coaches will still direct their players to congregate around the ball.   We want stop the coaches from using that tactic.  It's that very tactic that's ruined the game. 

Yes i know that. But if players have to “rest” on the field because the cannot be rotated, they are not going to follow the ball as much. 
They will stay in position, as they did for 100 years before rotations were allowed

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, one_demon said:

Will that stop the coaches from moving all the players around the ball?

It will go close.  If that's not enough,  After having removed all the ridiculous rules of the past 25 years.   Then after some time,  we could put more of a handbrake on them.

Like cutting out stimulants, and other supplements.   And also limiting the hours spent at the club, training.

You see the thing is,  it's not just the congestion.  But other things also,  like the push in back interpretations,  and a host of other laws added into the game.

So many changes,  that everyone,  including umpires,  have been confused at an intuitive level;  that it impacts everyone's instinctive responses. 

Including our watching on the TV,  or when live at the ground.

Even to the point of changing our goal umpires unique attire. 

Our Unique game has become just another hybrid,  of sports from around the world games.

This is OUR game born and bred within Australia.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

..players have to “rest” on the field because the cannot be rotated, they are not going to follow the ball as much. 
They will stay in position, as they did for 100 years before rotations were allowed

I'm not convinced by this idea because the players are so super fit these days that the'll still be able to congregate around the ball. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes i know that. But if players have to “rest” on the field because the cannot be rotated, they are not going to follow the ball as much. 

That's right,  rucks will rest in the pocket,  because they can't go off the ground. rovers same.

The interchange has totally changed the whole game so much,  it has removed the special forward pocket like daicos/bartlett.  The 2nd ruck like Paul Salmon, Gary Baker.

The special wingman...   The Bruce Doull's.

The one-on-one matchup's,  of Star V's Star.    Robbie Flower V's Brian Peake,  out at VFL park Waverley.

There is far more than just making another single rule to fix the mess they have made,  with so many changes over the past  Qtr Century. 

The game is on It's knees,  because highly educated people's arrogance;  that they know better,  and can do anything and cannot fail.   Such is there own intelligence. 

Arrogance personified.!

#edit:    These same AFL Directors have followed the lead of Directors of Major companies,  globalising their companies, out-sourcing their companies to avoid taxes,  and seeking to maximising margins,  at the expence of worker Australians.

Its the very same attitude that has caused our underemployment,  and unemployment,  and less money to spend locally with our own local businesses.

Greed.!!!

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

5 minutes ago, one_demon said:

I'm not convinced by this idea because the players are so super fit these days that the'll still be able to congregate around the ball. 

The congregation around the ball all began after the interchange bench was changed completely. 
The midfielders will still run around

i want to see the Centre Half Forward be important again

the key position won’t run everywhere, but they still are allowed to 

i don’t like zones because it’s then Netball