Training Ground?

Romey

On 7/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, Bitter but optimistic said:

Training at Gosch's with a couple of Demon supporter mates followed by a boozy counter lunch.

Always a good day!

Sounds like hell (aka heaven) uncle ...good stuff

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Yep .... it's all very civilised. You should try it DD!

Yes i'll try and & get bro down.  When do we get back to training there is the question?

Passed by this morning, Monday. No one or any set up evident.

Perhaps tomorrow morning at Gosch's, train hard, then on the 'bus' to WA Wednesday. Get a captains run on Optus, Thursday.

Hope the ground has recovered from rain and use. Saw an article about the ground being dangerous, giving way and soggy on the side that doesn't get sun. 

I'll post if it looks like training Tuesday at Gosch's. 

Edited by kev martin

4 hours ago, daisycutter said:

Thanks for that daisycutter.

Went past at about 9.30 am, saw nothing.

Perhaps they don't use the truck anymore and just head out from the rooms of AAMI when they are ready.

The assistants also don't need to put cushions on the goal post as they are now permanent pieces. 

Makes for seeing the training a bit more, of trial and error, hit or miss.

Unlikely to be there tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Very nice surface. 
Stage 1..

Exactly! Stage 1 now complete.

Time for Stage 2!

We now need our home base built with administrative and training facilities. Ideally a social club too. Paint the buildings red and (dark) blue and put up a statue of David Neitz out the front of it. 

I certainly won't be satisfied until our home base is finally built for the Melbourne Football Club.

5 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Exactly! Stage 1 now complete.

Time for Stage 2!

We now need our home base built with administrative and training facilities. Ideally a social club too. Paint the buildings red and (dark) blue and put up a statue of David Neitz out the front of it. 

I certainly won't be satisfied until our home base is finally built for the Melbourne Football Club.

As Gary Pert said a few years ago: "The MFC won't know itself once we have a permanent home base".

It will be amazing when it happens. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, layzie said:

As Gary Pert said a few years ago: "The MFC won't know itself once we have a permanent home base".

The important words there layzie are “ a few years ago” it will be quite a few years yet. There is no money! 

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Yep. I'll be relieved when that happens as you could tell from my reaction below.

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

• Angry 1

32 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah I forgot to add that I hope we're all still here when it does.

With construction delays these days even if announced today it would be 2023/4 before it was finished and I have doubts about that time frame more likely 2026. Can you hang on that long? 

32 minutes ago, old dee said:

With construction delays these days even if announced today it would be 2023/4 before it was finished and I have doubts about that time frame more likely 2026. Can you hang on that long? 

With construction and roadworks delays I'd be surprised if the road to the new home base was even ready by that time!

It's fun to dream about though!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am still going to keep bugging the MFC board until this project has been completed.

We cannot let up on this issue.

Every other AFL club has a home base but us! It is an absolute disgrace and must be rectified!

Collingwood had Victoria Park and now Olympic Park with its multi-million dollar administration and training base known as the Holden Centre.

Carlton have Princes Park.

Richmond have Punt Road Oval. Which is getting an $85 million dollar upgrade I think?

Western Bulldogs have Whitten Oval and another upcoming training base in the Western suburbs of Melbourne which is getting paid for with Government money.

Geelong have Kardinia Park or whatever it is called now? GMHBA stadium?

Hawthorn had Glenferrie Oval, currently Waverley Park in Mulgrave and will have a massive new multi-million dollar ($50 million?) home base being built in Dingley. I drove past it over the weekend and it is a massive piece of land!

Essendon have Windy Hill and Essendon Fields known as "the Hangar" which is a huge multi-million dollar facility.

North Melbourne have Arden Street Oval.

St. Kilda had Junction Oval, the Moorabbin Oval, then Seaford and are now back at Moorabbin Oval.

Whereas our club, the Melbourne Demons are basically AFL nomads. Our spiritual home is the MCG but we cannot even train there. We were temporarily at Junction Oval for over 20 years. Then we moved to Gosch's Paddock after Collingwood had the Holden Centre at Olympic Park completed. We also have Casey Fields in Cranbourne East which has been wonderful for us. The MCG sized training oval there has been wonderful for us.

Nevertheless, we still need a place to combine both our administration, training and a social club. Let's hope this can be done by the MFC board in the next 5 to 10 years. Getting our home base completed will be almost as significant as winning a Premiership as we will finally have a place that property belongs to the Melbourne Demons.

While breaking our Premiership drought of 57 years has been the ultimate achievement. We will judge the current MFC board on whether or not they can achieve this incredibly significant task of a home base.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1