Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

A Sit Down with the Coach

Recommended Posts

Noticed Goodwin when asked about the playing group said he had NO doubt they will come back raring to go to have individual and team success in 2020. A more experienced coach might have said, our strong expectation is..........  At this point all he is can do is assume that they will come back raring to go and fully committed both mentally and physically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Noticed Goodwin when asked about the playing group said he had NO doubt they will come back raring to go to have individual and team success in 2020. A more experienced coach might have said, our strong expectation is..........  At this point all he is can do is assume that they will come back raring to go and fully committed both mentally and physically. 

good grief.  Give it a rest.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sue said:

good grief.  Give it a rest.

keep your skirt on sue.

  • Shocked 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very pleasant interview ...the only thing missing was a crackling fire in the background!

Said all the right things but in the end it will come down to how well we do at fixing the present list at the trade/draft table.  A fair portion just isn't up to competing and holding down a regular spot at AFL level or adding any value in terms of what's needed to fill the gaping holes and lack of depth.

Massive cull and turnover needed in the next draft and beyond.

Like any "good or great" coach you gotta have the cattle to make finals on a regular basis.  Culture and coaching the difference that can take you from just making up the numbers in finals to a GF and possibly a premiership but list management and clever selections/trades also play a huge part.

Anyway, here's hoping we do well in the off season in securing the likes of Langdon, Elliot etc and re-signing the likes of Frosty.  A big name recruit or two might also help change the negative narrative a little also.

Expecting a bounce in 2020 but we really need something more substantial after the horrors of 2019.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bah, this video was nothing but words. Less words more cups.

Also, Goody has a very clean house and whoever was playing the piano, maybe his wife, was very good.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sue said:

OK. Could someone who believes that the coach should say something that isn't cliches and corporate-speak please draft the sort of speech they believe is appropriate for us all to read.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone can do it.

I place no credence in coaches' media performances and don't even watch or listen to Goodwin's as the useful content is always zero.

However I rise to your challenge.

We now take you to the "tell it as it is" post-match press conference that we'd all like to see .........

 

Simon Goodwin takes questions from the press ...

"Yes it was a disgraceful performance. I haven't told the boys that yet. In the rooms I told them to hold their heads high. To take away the positives. But really, it was disgraceful. I gave them a huge razz at quarter time, again at half time ... By the last break I didn't bother. They were gone. I just told them, go and beat your man. Beat your man! Most of 'em wouldn't know who their man was. Hell, I don't know who their man was. Any of 'em. Next question."

"Look, we all know Jones shouldn’t be captain. He's only got the job because of them photos. [censored]ing hell. Why would there be cameras there ??? I still can't work it out. The b*st*rd. Next bl**dy question."

"Never mind what photos. I shouldn't have said anything. Next question."

"I made a presentation to the board. I said we’ve got to juice the boys up like we did at Essen. Did anyone listen? Well the other coaches did. I must admit that. They were right into it. But Jacko? Bloody hit it on the head. Don't go near any of that stuff he said. Look at what happened to Essen. He's got a point. But gee, what did they do wrong? I mean really. They were just unlucky. And some of that sh*t was the goods. Leave you on cloud nine for days. I miss that you know. The stuff I get from Thommo isn't up to the same standard. Next question."

"Well don't look at me. I keep asking the assistant coaches for a game plan and they just look at me and say aren’t you supposed to be in charge of that? I say, what are you assisting if you're not assisting in coaching? I know about winning the ball. Winning matches not so much. Give me some bl**dy clues for gods sake. They all just bl**dy stare at me. Then they hang around the tea room in small groups muttering and go silent when I come in the room. I went to Perty one day, I said, I just sacked Chaplin. Hoe about that? He bl**dy near freaked out. Said you can’t do that. Next minute Chaplin's back in his office! The [censored]? Why are you trying to undermine me, I said. Perty went on and on about contracts and bad press. Screw your contracts and bad press! That’s when I realised Perty was out to get me. A man can't get anything done when he's surrounded by people who are out to get him."

(At this point Goodwin gets two steel balls out of his pocket and starts rolling them around in his hand)

"You know what they call me? Old Fugazi. Yeah that's right. Old Fugazi. They think they're so [censored]ing clever. Old Fugazi my [censored]in' a**e. But I showed 'em! They tried to poison me yesterday. I'm sure of it. My coffee tasted strange. Like salt. Too smart for them, I was. I spit it out. My "assistant" coach Rawlings said that’s because you put salt in it by mistake. That's when I knew he was part of the conspiracy. You see, I never put salt in my coffee. Only sugar. Sugar, pure rainwater, and grain alcohol. In case it saps and impurifies my precious bodily fluids. He'll be first one gone after round 23. Have you ever felt drained after the physical act of lovemaking, Robbo?"

(At this point the MFC media manager called the press conference to a halt.)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I place no credence in coaches' media performances and don't even watch or listen to Goodwin's as the useful content is always zero.

However I rise to your challenge.

We now take you to the "tell it as it is" post-match press conference that we'd all like to see .........

 

Simon Goodwin takes questions from the press ...

"Yes it was a disgraceful performance. I haven't told the boys that yet. In the rooms I told them to hold their heads high. To take away the positives. But really, it was disgraceful. I gave them a huge razz at quarter time, again at half time ... By the last break I didn't bother. They were gone. I just told them, go and beat your man. Beat your man! Most of 'em wouldn't know who their man was. Hell, I don't know who their man was. Any of 'em. Next question."

"Look, we all know Jones shouldn’t be captain. He's only got the job because of them photos. [censored]ing hell. Why would there be cameras there ??? I still can't work it out. The b*st*rd. Next bl**dy question."

"Never mind what photos. I shouldn't have said anything. Next question."

"I made a presentation to the board. I said we’ve got to juice the boys up like we did at Essen. Did anyone listen? Well the other coaches did. I must admit that. They were right into it. But Jacko? Bloody hit it on the head. Don't go near any of that stuff he said. Look at what happened to Essen. He's got a point. But gee, what did they do wrong? I mean really. They were just unlucky. And some of that sh*t was the goods. Leave you on cloud nine for days. I miss that you know. The stuff I get from Thommo isn't up to the same standard. Next question."

"Well don't look at me. I keep asking the assistant coaches for a game plan and they just look at me and say aren’t you supposed to be in charge of that? I say, what are you assisting if you're not assisting in coaching? I know about winning the ball. Winning matches not so much. Give me some bl**dy clues for gods sake. They all just bl**dy stare at me. Then they hang around the tea room in small groups muttering and go silent when I come in the room. I went to Perty one day, I said, I just sacked Chaplin. Hoe about that? He bl**dy near freaked out. Said you can’t do that. Next minute Chaplin's back in his office! The [censored]? Why are you trying to undermine me, I said. Perty went on and on about contracts and bad press. Screw your contracts and bad press! That’s when I realised Perty was out to get me. A man can't get anything done when he's surrounded by people who are out to get him."

(At this point Goodwin gets two steel balls out of his pocket and starts rolling them around in his hand)

"You know what they call me? Old Fugazi. Yeah that's right. Old Fugazi. They think they're so [censored]ing clever. Old Fugazi my [censored]in' a**e. But I showed 'em! They tried to poison me yesterday. I'm sure of it. My coffee tasted strange. Like salt. Too smart for them, I was. I spit it out. My "assistant" coach Rawlings said that’s because you put salt in it by mistake. That's when I knew he was part of the conspiracy. You see, I never put salt in my coffee. Only sugar. Sugar, pure rainwater, and grain alcohol. In case it saps and impurifies my precious bodily fluids. He'll be first one gone after round 23. Have you ever felt drained after the physical act of lovemaking, Robbo?"

(At this point the MFC media manager called the press conference to a halt.)

Take my hat off to you MR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Noticed Goodwin when asked about the playing group said he had NO doubt they will come back raring to go to have individual and team success in 2020. A more experienced coach might have said, our strong expectation is..........  At this point all he is can do is assume that they will come back raring to go and fully committed both mentally and physically. 

You have no idea what a more experienced coach may have or not have said, more guesswork on your part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Ffs you're not bad, go into politics 

You seen the warning signs last season and everyone got caught up in the finals wins last season against a couple of older sides. 

"I posted a while back" - was that before or after the Sydney game in Rd 20

"#1 3rd quarter team for the year, which shows the coaches are able to make necessary changes to counteract the opposition blah blah blah coaches can identify what needs to be done and impart the right messages and moves"

but this season because we are losing the entire coaching panel is no good.

Might have been better to keep your powder dry last season and stick with seeing how this season went

or more appropriately

Consider last years assessment as reason for not sacking him this season but weigh up all the side issues which saw us so horrible for the season as a factor to back your man, make some changes and give him 2020 to redeem himself. If it doesn't happen then you are justified in moving him on.

That's how the strong clubs do things

 

The fact the players are clueless and nervous with ball in hand is entirely coaching. They have no idea what to do and are like deer in the headlights.

Simpletons like your goodself can blame injuries or preseason or 6,6,6, or the draw or pressure of expectations or any number of other excuses. But that's exactly what they are. Excuses. We are supposedly a professional sporting club that has made finals once in 12 years. In a comp where 8 out of 18 make finals. It's laughable, and particularly so to claim that expectations were too high.

I think I have worked out your are Simon Goodwin. 

A question for you Simon. If things are so good with the coaching panel in 2019 why has every single position other than your own, changed?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

The fact the players are clueless and nervous with ball in hand is entirely coaching. They have no idea what to do and are like deer in the headlights.

Simpletons like your goodself can blame injuries or preseason or 6,6,6, or the draw or pressure of expectations or any number of other excuses. But that's exactly what they are. Excuses. We are supposedly a professional sporting club that has made finals once in 12 years. In a comp where 8 out of 18 make finals. It's laughable, and particularly so to claim that expectations were too high.

I think I have worked out your are Simon Goodwin. 

A question for you Simon. If things are so good with the coaching panel in 2019 why has every single position other than your own, changed?

And at the same time one looked into the Coaches Box to see 12 Coaches with 12 MacPro Laptops 💻 all looking blankly into space far too often. 

The Coaching panel was a mess. How much of that falls on Goodwin?

i haven’t heard an apology yet...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another in a long line of fluff pieces from the club

Nothing to see

At least  some on here have faith based on what I do not know.

The supporters do not need a fire side chat.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kent said:

Another in a long line of fluff pieces from the club

Nothing to see

At least  some on here have faith based on what I do not know.

The supporters do not need a fire side chat.

faith
/feɪθ/
strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mazer Rackham re post #31

that sir must be among the very best posts to EVER grace the pixels of these Forums !

if there such a thing I'd nominate it for the John Clarke award.

Bloody Hilarious....and sadly too poignant

Thankyou

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...