Scalping

MT64

The problem certainly isn't individual scalpers. You will NEVER stamp them out.

The problem is on-sellers like Ticketblaster (yes, blaster. with a "b") who buy hundreds of tickets at a time using bots and people scattered everywhere, and then sell them at inflated prices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Then let the authorities envestigate until they get the desire to then I could not care less.

Free enterprise at its simplist.

So is selling drugs to kids. OD.

Free Enterprise :  tell that to my old school mates younger brother, when he was a dealer years ago.?

and that old mates best admired friend, is a player of Greek Illness's and disability, and he pays people to go play the pokies for him.. ripping off the system. 

Free enterprise. its a disgrace.

Multi Nationals basing off shore, not paying us taxes, ripping the system. Free Enterprise.

And scalping is OK ... as its Free Enterprise.

Simple, isn't it.

Edited by DV8

22 hours ago, rjay said:

I'm not sure this game actually comes under the anti scalping laws does it?

I thought the law only effected the GF... and any other major event the govt. deemed fit to include.

Isn't it the sometime anti scalping law, or the when we can be bothered gazetting it anti scalping law, or when there are enough votes in it anti scalping law, or the when I can't get a ticket anti scalping law.

Let’s hope hey changed the legislation not just added more finals to the major event list. 

When The legislation was first release Victoria police’s legal opinion was that they couldn’t secure a conviction and therefore would not charge anyone. 

I believe no one has ever been taken to court and the only time this gets air is when the government have to deflect scalpers. 

People received fines for scalping but it was only the Melbourne city council $500 penalty notice for selling without a licence. You could sell a ticket on the other side of punt road (Yarra council) and Vicpol could do nothing! 

Edit: it was changed in 2009 

https://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/about-us/legislation-and-regulation/ticket-scalping-legislation

but I bet no one has been ever charged with it 

Edited by Wolfgang219
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Lol, I'm guessing your not an economist.

Buying something to specifically withhold it and create a shortage, and then exploiting the crisis prices, is historically the greatest scourge on the market system and is directly responsible for a variety of financial crises and even of famines multiplying in scale. Come to think of it, I'm guessing you're neither an economist nor Irish.

In this particular instance, you have a simple situation where the withholding of tickets in a context of already tight supply is inflating prices far beyond affordability for a 'reasonable' consumer. In turn, the actual provider of the product (the MCG) is being denied the revenue from their product because there are fewer seats actually filled and thus fewer people making ancilliary purchases (overpriced food and drinks). As the crowd also contributes to the value of the product (you don't go to games to experience the fabulous plastic seats) the actual value of the product is diminished. Every single person and business affected by the scalper's behaviour is disadvantaged.

It is the embodiment of 'market failure' and one of the few areas where even the most rigid of free-market flag-wavers will sternly bring out the red tape for fear of, you know, total collapse of the system, or at the least riots.

You can put all the spin you like on it but there is one only one element that any of us has control over and that is to buy or not to buy. If you don't like it don't buy. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DV8 said:

So is selling drugs to kids. OD.

Free Enterprise :  tell that to my old school mates younger brother, when he was a dealer years ago.?

and that old mates best admired friend, is a player of Greek Illness's and disability, and he pays people to go play the pokies for him.. ripping off the system. 

Free enterprise. its a disgrace.

Multi Nationals basing off shore, not paying us taxes, ripping the system. Free Enterprise.

And scalping is OK ... as its Free Enterprise.

Simple, isn't it.

Then don't participate. It is like your drugs analysis no one forces you to take the drugs you do it of free will. If you don't like scalping don't participate. And again like drug taking it is your free will choice and we all know the majority of society has little self control. So why should I worry about scalping there are way more important problems to solve like drug taking.

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Then don't participate. It is like your drugs analysis no one forces you to take the drugs you do it of free will. If you don't like scalping don't participate. And again like drug taking it is your free will choice and we all know the majority of society has little self control. So why should I worry about scalping there are way more important problems to solve like drug taking.

So we have no need for laws and rules, then 'OD' ? 

I like it, free life... let's all live, and to hell with the rules.

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

So we have no need for laws and rules, then 'OD' ? 

I like it, free life... let's all live, and to hell with the rules.

Of course not but there are rules for scalping and no one in authority choices to enforce  them. Scalping is IMO a victim less crime. The only victim I can see here is the person who buys the ticket and they know the cost and chose to buy knowing all the failings involved.

I struggle with all the indignation.

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Of course not but there are rules for scalping and no one in authority choices to enforce  them. Scalping is IMO a victim less crime. The only victim I can see here is the person who buys the ticket and they know the cost and chose to buy knowing all the failings involved.

Ok, so I can now conclude you genuinely didn't understand my response. Always a comfort.

Hoarding distorts the market, reduces production, creates an artificial shortage and inflates prices overall, not just for the specific sale involved. It is absolutely not a victimless crime.

By seriously, if such things as social contract, meaningful regulation, non-exploitation of vulnerable people and so on are all so troubling to you, you're quite welcome to move to Kentucky and vote for Gary Johnson. Things are really rocking in the appalachias, I hear, pretty much your dream come to life. Please, go, and stop sponging off the good life created by other people's commitment to coherent civilisation.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, old dee said:

Tthey buyers are victims... when the tickets are not available to buy at cost.

Because others have scooped the pool, and then on-sell, at huge markups.

What do you feel, when petrol is rationed, and some sell at huge markups ?

What do you feel when some arses sell roof work to pensioners, and rip them off ? taking advantage of them.

There are always 2 sides to everything.