Thanks Jack

rjay

Bit heartbroken that Jack has been delisted. A Melbourne supporter his whole life, an ex club captain and a fantastic and selfless bloke - I want them all to do well, but I especially wanted Jack to do well. I remember when he first started how good he was and seemed like he'd already played 150 games. Certainly got held back by injuries, shambolic player development from the club and the fact that the game demands so much more from defenders now that it did when he started. 

Unfortunately life's not fair sometimes but hopefully Jack realises he has a special place in a lot of Melbourne supporters' hearts. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, rjay said:

I know it's covered in the delisting thread but I think it does Jack Grimes a disservice to be bundled up as just another delisted player.

I actually think it's poor form....Jack deserves his own thread, his own heading.

Jack might not have been a champion but he has been a champion bloke who gave his all for the Melbourne Football Club.

As a kid living the dream, a Melbourne supporter drafted by the club that he followed. Unfortunately for Jack he landed at a club in transition to total disarray.

From early in his career I can remember the club putting him up for post match radio interviews, a young well spoken kid having to front the media after another dismal on ground performance.

Injury plagued his career as did a club with no real development in place to help a young kid hone his raw talent.

Making him Captain capped it all off. Jack was a leader from a young age but unfortunately he wasn't allowed to develop his football, he had to front for a club in free fall.

Would he have been a better player if he was at another club, well run with good leadership and senior players to learn from? that's the thing we will never know.

What we do know is Jack never complained and just fronted up time and again, disappointment after disappointment.

I don't know that I could have done what Jack did this year, he kept fronting up week after week giving his absolute best for Casey in the hope of getting promoted to the senior team. His papers seemed to be marked but shear weight of numbers got him a game mid season, one good game followed by a bad one and he was back at Casey.

So thanks Jack, I hope you get another shot at it but if you don't I have no doubt you will be a success in whatever path you chose.

As I type this,  31 likes have been noted at the bottom of screen. 

I'll add my like to it as well, after giving my thanks to a great servant of the Melbourne Footy Club.

Thanks Grimesy for all your effort & heartaches, given in the name of the Mfc & for its supporter base. 

I admire the way you have gone about it, from the time when you had ongoing back issues from the start really.  Andf your courage honesty & loyalty to the cause & footy generally.

You've been one of the bright lights in a time when unfortunately, mostly for yourself, we have gone astray off-field, & because of this, onfield as well.

I hope you get another offer & continue to find yourself, & your footy form, which I believe you can. And you can be that important cog in someone else's wheel.

Good Luck mate...

• Like 1

Have to admire the bloke. It must have been extremely difficult to deal with after having been skipper for a number of years only to see out the last 2 barely sighted. But he never whinged, just busted his gut for Casey each n every week.

Don`t think I've ever wanted a `past` player to move onto another club and succeed as much as I do for Jack.

• Like 2

Been a while since I posted - but got to thank rjay for getting this tribute thread going - and Grimesy for his love for the club and for the dignity with which he lead us through such a bleak period.

Just how good a bloke must he be? He was given the burden of captaincy - and of carrying #31 - before demonstrating that he was the elite athlete a person in his position should have been. Just how good a leader must he be? 

On Sunday I was reminded of the some of the weaknesses in his game - and I think I understand why he wasn't part of the Roos-Goodwin  plan. 

But I remain an admirer - and really hope another club can take advantage of his considerable qualities.

100 games Jack - well played!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.