The OX slams 'crap' Demons.

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Simple, as I have stated this sort of thing can actually have a negative affect on the team, the opposite can also be true. He may actually be doing harm to the club he is so passionate about, that is not a good thing and anyone with the responsibility of having a public voice should have an understanding of that and keep it in the back of their mind when making statements such as this.  

Any player who suffered mentally as a result of that, is too weak of mind to ever be successful in finals heat.

He is a frustrated supporter, same as many of us, and called it as he witnessed it.

My guess is we will respond with a meek surrender this week, same as usual. But that will be good enough for some.

At least I will make a profit. Shame the Weagles are only paying $1.13.

52 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Haha telling something to Damien Barrett's face is not the same as facing off to The Ox you old fool. 

The Ox bled for this club and i want to see you tell him to his face that he is merely chasing Headlines!

How dare you!!

you really do not care if this club improves do you, as long as it exists Satyr's little world is complete

WYL, Ox picks and chooses his moments with regards to his commentary on the MFC.  A few years ago he was on AFL Game Day (I think it was called that back then).  Sheedy was tearing us a new one, and Ox sat back ad let him go.  Sheedy finished it by saying "who would want to coach Melbourne", and did our big, brave Ox stand up for the Club?  No chance.

I listen to SEN, and I don't share the view that he's just a passionate supporter.  He kicks the Club when it's down, and when everyone else is kicking it.  As he is on radio, it's much easier to voice his opinion, because other than via social media, anyone that challenges him on it he just hangs up on them.

He had the chance to stick up for the Club in view of the public, and he was as soft as [censored].

15 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Any player who suffered mentally as a result of that, is too weak of mind to ever be successful in finals heat.

He is a frustrated supporter, same as many of us, and called it as he witnessed it.

My guess is we will respond with a meek surrender this week, same as usual. But that will be good enough for some.

At least I will make a profit. Shame the Weagles are only paying $1.13.

I said club and playing group, not player. You have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, neither do I. This on its own is fairly harmless, who knows if it is the final straw to some other bigger issue. Who knows what it would do if it were continual or started the entire media pack up again on just how horrible the team is. What affect could that have on confidence of a young bunch, what impact on potential sponsors etc etc etc. Think a little broader as to the potential impacts and repercussions. Ox should be cleverer than this as he has been in the media long enough. Then again he is just a footy player. 

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Hawthorn had the same problem, I remember talking to a few of their supporters and one in particular who worked at the AFL. The conventional wisdom at the time was they couldn't win a flag with Hodge, Mitchell, Sewel and Lewis in the midfield...too slow.

...they won one and then fixed it with Hill & Smith.

44 minutes ago, TGR said:

When you are absolutely elite at some stats (kicking efficiency; accuracy at goal etc...); of course this will cover up other deficiencies (slow one paced midfield).

Geelong's forward line in their zenith (2007 - 2011) wasn't that much to write home about.

Yes you can say that in hindsight but before they won their first of this run many thought they couldn't because of a slow paced midfield and they proved them wrong.

We have had to do a total rebuild without the draft concessions GWS & GC had and without the senior players that St Kilda and the Doggies have had to build on. We're still a ways off. Yep, I get p...off at times too but we're coming from a longer way back than any other club.

We're on track, I wish it was faster but wishing won't make it so.

16 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

WYL, Ox picks and chooses his moments with regards to his commentary on the MFC.  A few years ago he was on AFL Game Day (I think it was called that back then).  Sheedy was tearing us a new one, and Ox sat back ad let him go.  Sheedy finished it by saying "who would want to coach Melbourne", and did our big, brave Ox stand up for the Club?  No chance.

I listen to SEN, and I don't share the view that he's just a passionate supporter.  He kicks the Club when it's down, and when everyone else is kicking it.  As he is on radio, it's much easier to voice his opinion, because other than via social media, anyone that challenges him on it he just hangs up on them.

He had the chance to stick up for the Club in view of the public, and he was as soft as [censored].

Well i guess we just disagree

i shared quite a few beers with The Ox when he had his Pub in South Melbourne

i can assure you he is a Red and Blue Demon to the core. 

I remember when Sheedy tore us apart.

We were absolute shite then. What could be said to defend what Schwab and Pendergrast along with the rest of that regimedid to the club?

Don't forget it was The Ox that wrote that article in the Geelong Addy that was the final nail for Neeld. 

He wants Demon Success. 

Don't knock it. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I said club and playing group, not player. You have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, neither do I. This on its own is fairly harmless, who knows if it is the final straw to some other bigger issue. Who knows what it would do if it were continual or started the entire media pack up again on just how horrible the team is. What affect could that have on confidence of a young bunch, what impact on potential sponsors etc etc etc. Think a little broader as to the potential impacts and repercussions. Ox should be cleverer than this as he has been in the media long enough. Then again he is just a footy player. 

Bloody hell Chris. Talk about blowing something completely out of proportion!

He was a venting supporter, who was annoyed (rightly in my view) by our terrible performance on the weekend. Its as simple as that.

Trying to make out it could play a part in something catastrophic, is hysterical in the extreme. You are better than that. That's almost conspiracy theory stuff.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

He was a venting supporter, who was annoyed (rightly in my view) by our terrible performance on the weekend. Its as simple as that.

Trying to make out it could play a part in something catastrophic, is hysterical in the extreme. You are better than that. That's almost conspiracy theory stuff.

Playing 4 Quarters of Competitive football is the only way to silence critics. But this club cannot do it. 

The Ox has every right to be jacked off

i bet RDB was proud too

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

Simple, as I have stated this sort of thing can actually have a negative affect on the team, the opposite can also be true. He may actually be doing harm to the club he is so passionate about, that is not a good thing and anyone with the responsibility of having a public voice should have an understanding of that and keep it in the back of their mind when making statements such as this.  

Your whole argument is all about "can or may". If the football club isn't big enough to accept criticism, which in this case is warranted, then let's close the doors now. The poor precious souls have had their feelings hurt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, faultydet said:

I agree he was a supporter blowing off steam, I agree all of our supporters should be [censored] with Sunday's effort and we all have every right to be as well.

It doesn't take much to get the media pack going though and that is the risk he took, no matter how small the risk is. Do you think the current crop of young players we have should be exposed to a rabid media pack at this point? One of the great things having Roos there is we have avoided that for the last few years and the young players are being allowed to develop as a group without that added pressure. Remember this group is the youngest in the league and does lack solid leadership from a core group of experienced players, which is where the dogs and saints have a clear advantage in their rebuild.

My point is that he should know better than risk things like that. Yes he is a supporter, yes he wants success, as we all do, but he is also in the media and has a public voice. You need to be very careful how you use your voice when in that position as even innocuous comments made with the best of intentions can go south very quick. 

Just now, mo64 said:

Your whole argument is all about "can or may". If the football club isn't big enough to accept criticism, which in this case is warranted, then let's close the doors now. The poor precious souls have had their feelings hurt.

Yes it is all about can or may, it is about potential repercussions. 

The point is that does such a club man need to bring this into the spotlight with the risks that are attached to that? Any other Journo can say what they like, they don't have this clubs best interests at heart, he does and he needs to think it through a little more. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I agree he was a supporter blowing off steam, I agree all of our supporters should be [censored] with Sunday's effort and we all have every right to be as well.

It doesn't take much to get the media pack going though and that is the risk he took, no matter how small the risk is. Do you think the current crop of young players we have should be exposed to a rabid media pack at this point? One of the great things having Roos there is we have avoided that for the last few years and the young players are being allowed to develop as a group without that added pressure. Remember this group is the youngest in the league and does lack solid leadership from a core group of experienced players, which is where the dogs and saints have a clear advantage in their rebuild.

My point is that he should know better than risk things like that. Yes he is a supporter, yes he wants success, as we all do, but he is also in the media and has a public voice. You need to be very careful how you use your voice when in that position as even innocuous comments made with the best of intentions can go south very quick. 

Still think you are carrying on a bit Chris.

Other clubs would take the rocket, and come out breathing fire. Just because our blokes might be, on average, a few of months younger than other clubs, does not give an excuse for being immune to criticism.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, faultydet said:

Still think you are carrying on a bit Chris.

Other clubs would take the rocket, and come out breathing fire. Just because our blokes might be, on average, a few of months younger than other clubs, does not give an excuse for being immune to criticism.

It isn't even actually about the criticism fd, much of what he said is warranted, it is about him having a wiser head as to the potential outcomes from his comments. I'm not actually very annoyed by it at all, just got stuck in a conversation trying to explain why I don't think his whinge was very wise. 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

It isn't even actually about the criticism fd, much of what he said is warranted, it is about him having a wiser head as to the potential outcomes from his comments. I'm not actually very annoyed by it at all, just got stuck in a conversation trying to explain why I don't think his whinge was very wise. 

That.s where we differ. I don't think it was unwise at all. Merely harmless venting. 

And I don't believe for a second that it could affect potential sponsors etc. That's being over the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

That.s where we differ. I don't think it was unwise at all. Merely harmless venting. 

And I don't believe for a second that it could affect potential sponsors etc. That's being over the top.

His comments wont have an affect on much at all, his comments also aren't the point. It the potential affect from the rest of the media pack that could be the issue, that is what he potentially opened us upto, that is where he needs to be wiser. Speak second not first. 

Just now, Chris said:

His comments wont have an affect on much at all, his comments also aren't the point. It the potential affect from the rest of the media pack that could be the issue, that is what he potentially opened us upto, that is where he needs to be wiser. Speak second not first. 

fair enough. I see your point even if i'm struggling to agree with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Playing 4 Quarters of Competitive football is the only way to silence critics. But this club cannot do it. 

The Ox has every right to be jacked off

i bet RDB was proud too

The OX is always jacking of lately, love the sound of his own voice to much.

6 hours ago, faultydet said:

I have never subscribed to the theory that you need to have played "x" amount of games, before you can show the required intensity to win games at the top level, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Saints went at it harder than we did on the weekend.

That sort of effort inspires the sort of comments that Ox said.

I think when you subscribe to the theory they haven't played many games you give them an excuse 2 not try. I mean goalless in the second quarter says a lot about there lack of endeavour 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Well I must be one of those nuffers Vo Po because it seems to me 50 + years is a [censored] long journey and inept efforts like last Sunday indicate there is no end in sight.

Never put you in that group BBO, although others (groups) come to mind.

We are 52 years without a flag but the period 1987 to 2006 we were very well performed for much of it.  2007 has been dark but there is a light now that only the nuff nuffs can't see.

If a flag is your only happiness in supporting then I'd give it away.  On average we'll win one every 18 years but given the inequities of the system we might not win one for a long time. If that's the journey it doesn't worry me, I just love watching the team play.  Having said that I do want some finals success along the way.  A GF would be a welcome bonus.

11 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

If a flag is your only happiness in supporting then I'd give it away.  On average we'll win one every 18 years but given the inequities of the system we might not win one for a long time. If that's the journey it doesn't worry me, I just love watching the team play.  Having said that I do want some finals success along the way.  A GF would be a welcome bonus.

That is so profound and magnanimous in accepting mediocrity. You are wasting your time here. You should be saving the world. Yes, and the meek shall inherit the Earth. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, McQueen said:

Well I'm in Perf Stuie so I didn't hear him and have based my comments from the article.

Ox is a commentator first and foremost. I'm sure his thirst for a headline outweighs his passion for the club.

played in a prelim. and a grand final for the dees, more than most typists on this website have done. not to mention his mind-blowing game v carlton in '94 series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Well i guess we just disagree

i shared quite a few beers with The Ox when he had his Pub in South Melbourne

i can assure you he is a Red and Blue Demon to the core. 

I remember when Sheedy tore us apart.

We were absolute shite then. What could be said to defend what Schwab and Pendergrast along with the rest of that regimedid to the club?

Don't forget it was The Ox that wrote that article in the Geelong Addy that was the final nail for Neeld. 

He wants Demon Success. 

Don't knock it. 

Oh that's all right then.

The Ox wants Demons success, love how he has returned to the club on many occasions and offered his assistance, no he has just sat on the sidelines sniping when it suits him, spoilt what he was as a player for me

34 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Never put you in that group BBO, although others (groups) come to mind.

We are 52 years without a flag but the period 1987 to 2006 we were very well performed for much of it.  2007 has been dark but there is a light now that only the nuff nuffs can't see.

I am afraid that is what a lot want on here, the thing I find amusing it has been 52 years since a flag, and according to some on here the 'past' players were great and bled red and blue, not like the insipid lot we have now, so if they didn't win a flag, what was their excuse?

Edited by Satyriconhome

18 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

The Ox wants Demons success, love how he has returned to the club on many occasions and offered his assistance, no he has just sat on the sidelines sniping when it suits him, spoilt what he was as a player for me

I am afraid that is what a lot want on here, the thing I find amusing it has been 52 years since a flag, and according to some on here the 'past' players were great and bled red and blue, not like the insipid lot we have now, so if they didn't win a flag, what was their excuse?

Toddle off Satyr. 

Enjoy your aspirations of mediocraty...

i am sure Damien Barret has nightmares about your confrontation...

28 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

If a flag was what we only wanted we would be following Hawthorn today. Your disrespect for the opinions of supporters who have followed the Dee's all their  lives without success is disgusting. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Toddle off Satyr. 

Enjoy your aspirations of mediocraty...

i am sure Damien Barret has nightmares about your confrontation...

No debate again SWYL, so why did the OX not lead the team to a flag? Or Robbie Flower, or Todd Viney (all great players)  was it poor development? poor coaching? crap selection? the players not bleeding red and blue?

You can't aspire to be mediocre SWYL, bit of an OXymoron there