Greater Western Sydney (a dynasty to rival the Hawks)

Diamond_Jim

15 hours ago, Macca said:

I suppose many of us thought that Clark,  Lumumba & Dawes were around the B grade level or perhaps even better  - well, at least the club would have thought that.  It's hard to see any of those 3 being previously viewed as C grade from the club's point of view.

By the same token Tyson, Vince, Frost & Garlett have been worthwhile additions with Bernie & Dom being terrific value and Frost having a lot of upside.  The jury is out on Bugg,  Kennedy & Melksham but all 3 could work out to some extent.  Garlett has been very good on occasions but goes missing.  It should also be noted that Garlett only effectively cost us pick 61.  Lumumba might still be able to turn things around.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag ... we just need to keep plugging away and hope we uncover a gem or 2.

Yeah, I think those three you've mentioned all failed to get on the park regularly and haven't cemented best 22 spots as a result. I think the game has simply passed Dawes by, but given we gave up a first rounder for him, it has cost us in the end. 

Who knows with Melksham? I really didn't rate him at Essendon, I found him laughable in fact, but I'm just hoping a new environment can improve his footy. Kennedy may still make it, but I don't hold out much hope and Bugg will never be more than a fringer. And if someone with his disposal deficiencies is best 22 in 2017-2018, we're in trouble.

Edited by A F

GWS are genuinely scary.

They have arrived. But unlike any other young side we've seen that announces itself at some point, GWS have hordes of talent coming through together at the same time, rather than a handful like most other clubs.

It makes me sick.

Their list profile is unbelievable and they have an insanely well balanced team that is built for modern-day football. They have the running power of the dogs/port, they are are as skilled as anyone (other than Hawthorn) and they just beat the best contested ball winning side of the modern era in a [censored] qualifying final.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

GWS are genuinely scary.

They have arrived. But unlike any other young side we've seen that announces itself at some point, GWS have hordes of talent coming through together at the same time, rather than a handful like most other clubs.

It makes me sick.

Their list profile is unbelievable and they have an insanely well balanced team that is built for modern-day football. They have the running power of the dogs/port, they are are as skilled as anyone (other than Hawthorn) and they just beat the best contested ball winning side of the modern era in a [censored] qualifying final.

Yep, we've timed our rise perfectly.

Thanks Barry.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Then where were the thousands of supporters demonstrating outside of AFL house demanding that this didn't happen.

I felt so strongly about the concessions given to GWS that I sent an email to both the club and the AFL. Was I a lone voice, who knows, diid anybody else on here. I  understood what it might do to the competition

This is what I love about this board,  looking forward to the next AGM there should be lots of questions from the floor NOT

Why would there be questions at our next AGM? This current admin was not in place when the concessions were determined.

And good luck to you if you think the AFL gives one stuff about what you or I think. Like the hundreds of thousands/millions around the world who protested the invasion and occupation of Iraq - that worked out well didn't it....

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His name is Stephen Silvagni and he's currently doing the same job at the Blues.

He won't have nearly as much currency though.

At GWS he had so many picks, it didn't matter if he stuffed up 50% of them. He won't have that luxury at the Blues.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Apocalypse XXXI said:

Wrong again ENYAW. It was the Gardner admin that overlooked Sheedy in favour of Dean Bailey. Long before we picked Neeld. 

Sheedy would have been as effective at Melbourne as a senior coach as Bailey because we were suffering from poor recruiting and even worse player development. He would not have helped us.

This is straying off-topic, but do you think Sheedy would have taken the same "type" of players as we recruited under Bailey? Think about it.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is straying off-topic, but do you think Sheedy would have taken the same "type" of players as we recruited under Bailey? Think about it.

No he wouldn't. He was bitter and half senile but he wouldn't have cleared out all the experience. Dad's Army? Bailey wanted kids kids kids to the point where you wondered if he'd end up on a police watch list.

4 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

No he wouldn't. He was bitter and half senile but he wouldn't have cleared out all the experience. Dad's Army? Bailey wanted kids kids kids to the point where you wondered if he'd end up on a police watch list.

Bailey Coached what he was given....

8 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

GWS are genuinely scary.

It makes me sick.

And the AFL Chairman is lamenting that Buddy did the dirty on the AFL and went to the Swans. It is absoluteluy clear the AFL knew what it was doing and wants a dynasty in Western Sydney to build its brand in the area. Equalisation is a myth. The Suns failed by a combination of injuries, poor culture and a party enviroment.

Living in Sydney i have been out to their ground (to watch the Dees) and I like its country game feel but if you go by the crowd the AFL have no made a dent in Western Sydney. I suspect after their 10 years of dominance it will fall away in the way the Bears (Lions) have with just fair weather supporters. In the interim more damage will be done to the AFL's base. If over two decades only the same 3 or 4 teams win flags everyone else loses hope. Gill on the coach seemed pleased we had risen to mid table and almost uttered the words "mission accomplished". I think all that anyone wants is a fair shot at success and it seems the system is not going to deliver that and the AFL from the Chairmans mouth wants GWS to dominate. He thinks its good for the national ratings. I am not sure that will be the case in the long run.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why would there be questions at our next AGM? This current admin was not in place when the concessions were determined.

And good luck to you if you think the AFL gives one stuff about what you or I think. Like the hundreds of thousands/millions around the world who protested the invasion and occupation of Iraq - that worked out well didn't it....

That's my point, everybody sits on their hands and does nothing and then whinges about the consequences, I at least tried to do something, futile as it turned out to be, I actually got a reply from the AFL by the way

16 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

That's my point, everybody sits on their hands and does nothing and then whinges about the consequences, I at least tried to do something, futile as it turned out to be, I actually got a reply from the AFL by the way

"Dear Mr Satyr,

Thank you for your letter. It has been forwarded to the appropriate staff member.

Please find enclosed a complimentary Essendon scarf and a Collingwood 3-game membership.

We trust that this will be your last communication on the matter.

Your sincerely,

Giardia Lamblia

for

Gillon McLachlan"

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

"Dear Mr Satyr,

Thank you for your letter. It has been forwarded to the appropriate staff member.

Please find enclosed a complimentary Essendon scarf and a Collingwood 3-game membership.

We trust that this will be your last communication on the matter.

Your sincerely,

Giardia Lamblia

for

Gillon McLachlan"

Nah Vlad was in charge then, you spoilt your own 'joke'    I have long deleted it but seem to remember it was along the lines of ensuring the long term future of the game

1 hour ago, Ted Fidge said:

I can't imagine Sheedy drafting small/skinny outside players like Morton, Blease, Strauss, Maric, Gysberts, Cook hell even Watts.

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Yeah, probably the same response I got when I emailed MFC asking for details of our submission regarding "equalisation" several years ago. Geelong posted theirs on their website, the Bulldogs one was also made public but I have no idea what the MFC or any other club suggested to the AFL/working party.

Nb. Cats/Dogs submissions linked below for anyone who cares

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/GeelongCats/Club HQ/GFC Equalisation for Web Feb 2013.pdf

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Articles/General 2013/Final210213_WesternBulldogsEqualisationPaperSubmission.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His name is Stephen Silvagni and he's currently doing the same job at the Blues.

Which is brilliant, because he's had a lot of misses with those top picks. Most of those guys have then landed at Carlton. His strike rate is pretty ordinary given the amount he had to work with. If his strike rate is anywhere near his GWS time at Carlton, they'll be in big trouble. Let's hope so.

The biggest mistake made by multiple clubs recently is the boys club mentality that saw Hird, Buckley, Voss, Leppitsch and Ratten all land coaching gigs. It's about living off past glories, instead of living in the present and picking the best candidate. There's a bit of that with SOS. Oh, he's a recruiter somewhere? Well, we better get him back. Naturally, we had quite a bit of that under Schwab too. Thankfully, PJ rarely seems to buy into that.

• Like 3

If they are so bloody good then, why the recreational fillings then. Bored,nothing to do,today's lifestyle, not our problem or can't be bothered holding their hands?

Maybe even that's a blatant lie,sir......

The AFL saw the Gold Coast make an absolute mess of their concessions (Fraser, Brown and other duds), and clearly determined that they weren't going to allow GWS do the same thing. Unfortunately they went so far the other way that they have created a monster that will take many, many years for other clubs to overcome. That said, GWS have a done great job in attracting senior players in the prime of the careers (much like Hawthorn in some respects) who complement the elite young talent they have coming through.

Between the ridiculous academy rules, salary cap concessions and the willingness of other clubs (such as our good selves) to overpay for fringe GWS players, the GWS juggernaut could conceivably roll on for more than a decade. If the core playing group are prepared to sacrifice their earnings in the short term to keep the list together, there is really nothing that can hurt them. Perhaps in time their better players might head back to Victoria once they have won five premierships in a row, but until then we just wait.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can't imagine Sheedy drafting small/skinny outside players like Morton, Blease, Strauss, Maric, Gysberts, Cook hell even Watts.

Agreed Dr, but in particular Watts. 

His heritage (Brighton Grammar) would have been enough without thinking of body type or game style..

Sheedy had a dim view of public (private) school boys who he thought were soft, preferring hard bitten country kids.

Having said that he must have taken a few at GWS. Certainly Toby Greene (Wesley College) falls into that group.

27 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Agreed Dr, but in particular Watts. 

His heritage (Brighton Grammar) would have been enough without thinking of body type or game style..

Sheedy had a dim view of public (private) school boys who he thought were soft, preferring hard bitten country kids.

Having said that he must have taken a few at GWS. Certainly Toby Greene (Wesley College) falls into that group.

Chris Judd, Jack Ziebell and Dylan Shiel all went to Caulfield Grammar. Wouldn't call any of them soft. Sheedy has been out of touch for the best part of a decade. I'm glad he didn't coach Melbourne. Roos via Bailey and Neeld was a much better choice.

• Like 1

Slightly related.... but now Geelong are complaining that Iike GWS getting a prelim at Spotless they should get home prelim finals at Kardinia Park

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/afl-preliminary-finals-geelong-cats-fans-angry-over-gws-giants-spotless-stadium-final/news-story/d3e473a880dc44568b074b6f4d4e8ee8

One would like to say no chance but the AFL is a strange beast.

Of course if you scream loudly enough about a prelim they might give you a first round final to appease you.

I might have more sympathy for them if they did not schedule all their games against the big clubs for the MCG during the home and away season !!

• Like 1