Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who are the Dees chasing for 2017 and at what cost?

junk

5 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Well I think we have to be if we want to see a jump in ladder position again. And I think the games against Geelong and Carlton have only highlighted the fact that we need to be active. Not only that, it's worth remembering that St Kilda, Collingwood, Essendon and Port will be vying for a top eight position. Supporters tend to forget that other clubs also improve over the off-season.

Whilst I agree that we don't have much to work with at present, I'm hoping we can somehow creatively make a play for some upgraded draft picks which we can ontrade or creatively make a play for topliner. But that's not our only concern.

I think one of the age-old cliches that circulates these parts at the end of the season is the following: 'Natural improvement from young players over the off-season'. An obvious observation in which some supporters (not saying you) seem to magically think doesn't apply to any other club within the AFL. 

If any Melbourne supporter genuinely thinks we'll make the eight next year on the back of only adding Hibberd during the off-season will be in for nasty surprise.

In my opinion there are three key areas that need addressing if we're to make the eight next year:

1 - Age and games experience across all lines of the field. 

2 - Foot-skills and running power.

3 - A Ruckman/forward who has the ability to play in tandem with Max Gawn.

In my view, all three can be achieved without much fuss. 

For point 1, I really think that we can bring in some guys who will provide leadership both on and off-field and games experience which we desperately. Equally important will be the fact that these players can fill positions that certain players have manfully struggled to fill for the entire year like Oscar McDonald. 

The fact is, our backline is in desperate need of age and games experience to protect and cover for so many kids who have played through there this year. Let's say we landed Hibberd in a trade and signed Nathan Brown as a restricted FA. The entire back six would look and feel so much more cohesive and would be so much better supported.       

B            Jetta           Brown         O-Mac 

HB        Hibberd        T-Mac      (Spot up for grabs)

^ Just looking at those names inspires so much more confidence. It allows for one of Frost or O-Mac to continue to develop their game and bodies at VFL level (which frankly is where both should have been this year if it weren't for degenerate leaders; Dunn and Garland). It would provide healthy competition of spots for Oscar and Frost and it increases our key position depth overall. Personally, I'm still not convinced Frost has the fundamental footballing ability to be a consistent performer at this level. He has an incredible athletic profile, but he is way way too much of a risk to carry into a finals campaign as a definite starter at this current point as is Oscar. Especially both of them playing at once. That should be obvious.

A backline with the addition of Hibberd as a flanker would also allow the release of Hunt to come up to the wing and really add a dimension that has been missing through our midfield for a long time. Serious running power. His ability to cut angles and break lines is huge as we have almost nobody else on the list who can do the same and many of our mids are single-geared runners. 

Key area number 2 will commence tomorrow.

To be continued...

I'll play along.

The main trade that we're going to be involved in that we know of is Hibberd. I'm hoping that by combining Garland with Pick 26 to Gold Coast will see them send their Pick 22 to Essendon for Hibberd to make his way to the Dees.

Nathan (Collingwood) or Mitch (Wes Coast) Brown should then be looked at as free agents. Personally i think Mitch is a bit quicker off the mark and more versatile with an ability to go forward. So he'd be my pick.

Send our 2017 2nd Round pick to Geelong for Nathan Vardy and Geelong's 2016 3rd Round Pick (currently 53).

I'd be keen to trade with West Coast also to land the untapped talent of Tom Lamb who's father played 2 games for the Dees back in 93' i believe. He's a real utility, 190/191cm tall, lightning quick who can play forward, back and mid. Only played 1 game in two years after going about pick 34 in the draft. We may be able to secure him with our 4th round pick (62) with any luck.

And finally Nick Dal Santo as a delisted free agent. Add some experience and class to the midfield. He's still playing very solid football, and given our lack of a 1st round pick this year, this is how we can add class without giving up a 2nd years 1st round pick.

Grimes walks as a free agent then delist Dawes, Pedersen, Terlich, M. Jones, Newton, Michie & Max King and from the sounds of things Lumumba may be retiring.

Promote Wagner and we go to the draft with Picks 44 & 53 and three rookie draft selections  (give White a 3rd year).

Suddenly we have a 22 looking lime:

Frost/O. Mc, Brown, Jetta

Melksham, T. Mc, Hibberd

Vince, N. Jones, Tyson

Petracca, Hogan, Kent

Watts, Vardy, Garlett

Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Brayshaw, Dal Santo, Hunt, Salem

Harmes, Vandenberg, Kennedy, Trengove, Bugg, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Weideman, Hulett, Wagner and one of Frost/O. Mc become depth. We improve the list at minimal cost. We sacrifice one draft where we're already out of the 1st Round but still keep 2 picks inside the 3rd round.

This also means that we would go into the 2017 draft with a 1st Round pick and only down a 2nd Rounder. That should be easy for us to get back also as after another 12 months we should be able to make a call on a player such as Salem or Kent if there's still question marks there.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

I'll play along.

The main trade that we're going to be involved in that we know of is Hibberd. I'm hoping that by combining Garland with Pick 26 to Gold Coast will see them send their Pick 22 to Essendon for Hibberd to make his way to the Dees.

Nathan (Collingwood) or Mitch (Wes Coast) should then be looked at as free agents. Personally i think Mitch is a bit quicker off the mark and more versatile with an ability to go forward. So he'd be my pick.

Send our 2017 2nd Round pick to Geelong for Nathan Vardy and Geelong's 2016 3rd Round Pick (currently 53).

I'd be keen to trade with West Coast also to land the untapped talent of Tom Lamb who's father played 2 games for the Dees back in 93' i believe. He's a real utility, 190/191cm tall, lightning quick who can play forward, back and mid. Only played 1 game in two years after going about pick 34 in the draft. We may be able to secure him with our 4th round pick (62) with any luck.

And finally Nick Dal Santo as a delisted free agent. Add some experience and class to the midfield. He's still playing very solid football, and given our lack of a 1st round pick this year, this is how we can add class without giving up a 2nd years 1st round pick.

Grimes walks as a free agent then delist Dawes, Pedersen, Terlich, M. Jones, Newton, Michie & Max King and from the sounds of things Lumumba may be retiring.

Promote Wagner and we go to the draft with Picks 44 & 53 and three rookie draft selections  (give White a 3rd year).

Melksham, T. Mc, Hibberd

Vince, N. Jones, Tyson

Petracca, Hogan, Kent

Watts, Vardy, Garlett

Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Harmes, Vandenberg, Kennedy, Trengove, Bugg, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Weideman, Hulett, Wagner and one of Frost/O. Mc become depth. We improve the list at minimal cost. We sacrifice one draft where we're already out of the 1st Round but still keep 2 picks inside the 3rd round.

This also means that we would go into the 2017 draft with a 1st Round pick and only down a 2nd Rounder. That should be easy for us to get back also as after another 12 months we should be able to make a call on a player such as Salem or Kent if there's still question marks there.

living in the hills can mess with your mind but also your sensibilities... didn't I just see gibbs and cripps and then Dangerfield and selwood destroy us in the centre square even though we have australias best ruckman... and we do not need an A grade middy... sorry I need a vodka I would prefer a stodgie but my matches are wet... a bit like jesses goal kicking..

AngryAtCasey, The 22 you have selected is not too bad,the problem is N.Jones get a lot of the footy,Gawn wins a majority of the tap outs.You would think we would have won more games than we have. Vince tends to run hot and cold. Hogan doesn't do enough and Garlett also doesn't do enough. Kudos for the Del Santo idea. Personally I would give the captaincy to someone else and to play him(Nat) in another position than what he has been used to. We need a Dangerfield or Treloar,hopefully Oliver or Brayshaw could become that person next year.Salem might also be that person as well. Hopefully Petracca could become close to an Alan Jakovich.

• Like 2

We've actually won more games this year then i tipped us to at the start of the year. Vince i think should be moved to a run with role and Jones output should become less relied on as Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw, Oliver etc start to take more responsibility and the addition of Dal Santo, Hibberd & Melksham will also help here.

Dangerfield's, Fyfe's etc are hard to find. Your actually more likely to produce your own then trade them in. Hopefully as you said Petracca will become this.

And as for Hogan, he's still very young. I'd be confident in saying that his output is far greater then most 21 year old key forwards. Where as i'm hoping Kennedy & Kennedy-Harris will keep Garlett honest next year if his form drops.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, johndemons said:

Apparently Mathew Boyd from the Dogs is yet to have been offered a contract for next year, pending the obvious week ahead, he could be available as a 34 year old in All australian40 form with good kicking skills and more of a strategic and defensive mindset than Boomer. What do we think? I guess it depends on whether he's seeking financial reward for his good form, or if he's desperate to play a few more years. Daniel Cross might have an opinion.

What about Billy Longer?  He's young, & needs some more work, But is tall and has a massive leap.

6 hours ago, drdrake said:

Nathan Vardy is someone that we need to consider.  Injury issues a side, we need to get someone who can stand in a forward pocket, take a mark and get into the ruck for 10mins a quarter, or worse still be there just in case something happens to Max.

We had a chance at Kreuzer last year.   H's had an excellent year 2016.

Now Vardy comes up?   A possibility to fill short term role?

But we still need to get another youngster in, or near youngster like Longer.

7 hours ago, DV8 said:

What about Billy Longer?  He's young, & needs some more work, But is tall and has a massive leap.

We had a chance at Kreuzer last year.   H's had an excellent year 2016.

Now Vardy comes up?   A possibility to fill short term role?

But we still need to get another youngster in, or near youngster like Longer.

Saints will want a 1st Round Pick for Longer. He was their number 1 ruck last year and they'll say the only reason Hickey went past him is because of injury.

He also signed a contract extension this year, so would cost overs. 

Finally he doesn't have the ability to rest forward which is what we really want.

12 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

I'll play along.

Nathan (Collingwood) or Mitch (Wes Coast) Brown should then be looked at as free agents. Personally i think Mitch is a bit quicker off the mark and more versatile with an ability to go forward. So he'd be my pick.

Melksham, T. Mc, Hibberd

Vince, N. Jones, Tyson

Petracca, Hogan, Kent

Watts, Vardy, Garlett

Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Dal Santo has lost all his speed.  A definite no on recruiting him

1 hour ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Saints will want a 1st Round Pick for Longer. He was their number 1 ruck last year and they'll say the only reason Hickey went past him is because of injury.

He also signed a contract extension this year, so would cost overs. 

Finally he doesn't have the ability to rest forward which is what we really want.

No chance they would get a 1st rounder for Longer.  There are 5 ruckman who would be worth a first rounde in the comp and Longer is definitely not 1 of them

4 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Dal Santo has lost all his speed.  A definite no on recruiting him

Matthew Boyd type role.  You don't get many slower then Boyd.

Dal Santo & Hibberd into the team along with a fit Salem would improve our disposal out of sight.

4 hours ago, Demons11 said:

No chance they would get a 1st rounder for Longer.  There are 5 ruckman who would be worth a first rounde in the comp and Longer is definitely not 1 of them

Same thing said about Darren Jolly years ago when Sydney cam knocking and he wasn't even in our 22 at the time.  Richmond gave up a pick inside the top 30 for Hampson who most considered a spud.

Experienced ruckman don't come cheap.  Especially if they're contracted which Longer is.  St Kilda would rather keep him then trade for a 3rd Round pick or whatever else we could offer.

16 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

I'll play along.

Melksham, T. Mc, Hibberd

Vince, N. Jones, Tyson

Petracca, Hogan, Kent

Watts, Vardy, Garlett

Gawn, Oliver, Viney

I like it, great work there mate. Lamb has family here in Tassie as that's where his dad played & coached for a few years after his time for Melb, They are great people & if he's anything like them he would be a fine addition to our club.

• Like 1

Not sure why Longer is in the conversation, he's a no1 ruck or nothing for a team, we've got the AA ruck and backup, we need that fwd-ruck player, but there as so few around. I like Watts in that role anyway, and think as the forward line matures a bit together he'll be missed less when he does those couple of minutes in the ruck each quarter. 

Anyone heard anything about the interest in Koby Stevens? Apparently McCartney is a big fan and as far as I can tell is OOC at the end of the year. Some suggestions from a doggies contact that we're looking at him.

Would be an upgrade on what we brought Newton and Michie (original role) in for, a mid who can win his own ball but also hit the score board regularly. 

On 8/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, Red and Blue realist said:

Anyone heard anything about the interest in Koby Stevens? Apparently McCartney is a big fan and as far as I can tell is OOC at the end of the year. Some suggestions from a doggies contact that we're looking at him.

Would be an upgrade on what we brought Newton and Michie (original role) in for, a mid who can win his own ball but also hit the score board regularly. 

He is OOC and the Doggies are still hoping he'll stick around, there is some pretty strong interest from a few clubs, the one i keep hearing is Essendon

4 hours ago, Abe said:

He is OOC and the Doggies are still hoping he'll stick around, there is some pretty strong interest from a few clubs, the one i keep hearing is Essendon

Its already been mentioned on Talking Footy last night that the dons were interested.

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Its already been mentioned on Talking Footy last night that the dons were interested.

Has there been a player Essendon haven't been linked to yet?

Sick of hearing about the drug cheats.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

Zac Clarke from Freo will be exploring his options - key thing here is that he's a free agent.

I remain to be convinced he's much chop, but could he be that dual forward-ruck role player?

No

• Like 1

Hey Angry at Casey.

I appreciate your feedback from the VFL, but I just can't quite understand your team logic above. I mean the minute I saw Brown (either one is slow, and both would be backward steps in an area where we have three good young talls and at least one back-up), I lost my sense that you were on the same page as most of us.

The same applies to Dal Santo. Yes he is highly skilled and should come cheap but as with the Browns, all we'd be doing is slowing down our side at a time when we have a Goody gameplan based on fast transition. Happy for us to consider the freakish skills of Harvey, because he's still quick, but I doubt he'd consider us.

To my way of thinking we already are planning to recruit our most crucial need - a fast, long-kicking left-footer who is tough - Hibberd. Whether he requires more than our mid-range round two pick is the main thing open for debate.

The only other real position we lack is a mobile tall forward who can also ruck, so that we don't have top throw Wattsy to the wolves again. I note that you have said Vardy, but it sounds to me that there's already been a fair bit of interest in him from other clubs. Tomlinson is off to the Blues and Vickery to the Hawks. Zac Clarke is worth a look, but I'm not sure about his forward work being good enough. Petrie may now also be just too slow to consider, even if just for a year. Maybe we just have to bide our time a bit and see who else gets delisted. And if no-one does, then Casey's Keilty is worth a go.

Anyway, to me it seems that we have already decided not to overdo the changes and allow our youth time to bear fruit with the signing of Trenners and the apparent decision to get Pedo to the surgeon.  Once we upgrade Smith and Wagner, that leaves possibly only five left on the list as replacements for Grimes, Newton, Lumumba, Dunn, Terlich, King and Dawes with two of those as rookies.

The VFL finals will help us solve part of the riddle. Exceptional form from some players - (eg: ANB, JKH, Michie, Dunn, Grimes) may tempt other clubs to get keen on giving them another shot at the big dance and an extra trade pick may help us get the Hibberd deal done or even prompt another deal for a back-up tall forward/ruck. 

To me we are heading down the following list path for next year:

Tall defenders: T-Mac, O-Mac, Frost, Garland.

Medium defenders: Hibberd, Wagner, Smith, White (re-rookied), Maynard (special rookie)

Small defenders: Salem, Jetta, Hunt, N.Jones (when not required as mid), Michie (great value as a classy rookie).

Rucks: Gawn, Spencer, King

Tall forward/rucks: Pedo, newcomer (Keilty)?

Tall forwards: Hogan, Watts, Weideman, Hulett

Medium forwards: Vanders, Vince (I no longer want to see him down back), Petracca

Small forwards: Garlett, JKH, Kent, Kennedy, quick newcomer

Quick outside mids/wings: Melky, Stretch, M.Jones, quick newcomer

Mids: Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Brayshaw, N.Jones, Trengove, Bugg, Neal-Bullen

Utilty: Harmes

Rookie: Two spots available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deespicable said:

Hey Angry at Casey.

I appreciate your feedback from the VFL, but I just can't quite understand your team logic above. I mean the minute I saw Brown (either one is slow, and both would be backward steps in an area where we have three good young talls and at least one back-up), I lost my sense that you were on the same page as most of us.

The same applies to Dal Santo. Yes he is highly skilled and should come cheap but as with the Browns, all we'd be doing is slowing down our side at a time when we have a Goody gameplan based on fast transition. Happy for us to consider the freakish skills of Harvey, because he's still quick, but I doubt he'd consider us.

To my way of thinking we already are planning to recruit our most crucial need - a fast, long-kicking left-footer who is tough - Hibberd. Whether he requires more than our mid-range round two pick is the main thing open for debate.

The only other real position we lack is a mobile tall forward who can also ruck, so that we don't have top throw Wattsy to the wolves again. I note that you have said Vardy, but it sounds to me that there's already been a fair bit of interest in him from other clubs. Tomlinson is off to the Blues and Vickery to the Hawks. Zac Clarke is worth a look, but I'm not sure about his forward work being good enough. Petrie may now also be just too slow to consider, even if just for a year. Maybe we just have to bide our time a bit and see who else gets delisted. And if no-one does, then Casey's Keilty is worth a go.

Anyway, to me it seems that we have already decided not to overdo the changes and allow our youth time to bear fruit with the signing of Trenners and the apparent decision to get Pedo to the surgeon.  Once we upgrade Smith and Wagner, that leaves possibly only five left on the list as replacements for Grimes, Newton, Lumumba, Dunn, Terlich, King and Dawes with two of those as rookies.

The VFL finals will help us solve part of the riddle. Exceptional form from some players - (eg: ANB, JKH, Michie, Dunn, Grimes) may tempt other clubs to get keen on giving them another shot at the big dance and an extra trade pick may help us get the Hibberd deal done or even prompt another deal for a back-up tall forward/ruck. 

To me we are heading down the following list path for next year:

Tall defenders: T-Mac, O-Mac, Frost, Garland.

Medium defenders: Hibberd, Wagner, Smith, White (re-rookied), Maynard (special rookie)

Small defenders: Salem, Jetta, Hunt, N.Jones (when not required as mid), Michie (great value as a classy rookie).

Rucks: Gawn, Spencer, King

Tall forward/rucks: Pedo, newcomer (Keilty)?

Tall forwards: Hogan, Watts, Weideman, Hulett

Medium forwards: Vanders, Vince (I no longer want to see him down back), Petracca

Small forwards: Garlett, JKH, Kent, Kennedy, quick newcomer

Quick outside mids/wings: Melky, Stretch, M.Jones, quick newcomer

Mids: Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Brayshaw, N.Jones, Trengove, Bugg, Neal-Bullen

Utilty: Harmes

Rookie: Two spots available

Cheers mate.

The reasoning behind a lot of my suggestions is improving the average games experience/age of the team with players that still have something to offer.

With the tall defenders, i agree that both Frost & O. Mc show promise, but after them and T. Mc there isn't much else. I think we all agree the Dunn & Garland are toast, and if Tommy were to go down we'd be in all sorts. This is where someone like Mitch Brown would be handy as he is still capable of playing quality football and provides competition for spots back there.

Dal Santo although i agree is not fleet of foot, is a quality user of the football. Through quick and accurate ball movement quick transition flows. Rotating through the midfield and off half back with the likes of Hibberd & Salem would suddenly provide us with some deadly kicking that can set up goals.

As for Nathan Vardy, other clubs may also be keen, but it's up to us to convince him that we're his best prospect. Everyone knows that we have this vacancy on our list, if he can produce his best football there would be a guaranteed spot for him.

Finally i'm happy to hear Pedo may be retained. Where did you hear about him going in for surgery?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Cheers mate.

The reasoning behind a lot of my suggestions is improving the average games experience/age of the team with players that still have something to offer.

With the tall defenders, i agree that both Frost & O. Mc show promise, but after them and T. Mc there isn't much else. I think we all agree the Dunn & Garland are toast, and if Tommy were to go down we'd be in all sorts. This is where someone like Mitch Brown would be handy as he is still capable of playing quality football and provides competition for spots back there.

Dal Santo although i agree is not fleet of foot, is a quality user of the football. Through quick and accurate ball movement quick transition flows. Rotating through the midfield and off half back with the likes of Hibberd & Salem would suddenly provide us with some deadly kicking that can set up goals.

As for Nathan Vardy, other clubs may also be keen, but it's up to us to convince him that we're his best prospect. Everyone knows that we have this vacancy on our list, if he can produce his best football there would be a guaranteed spot for him.

Finally i'm happy to hear Pedo may be retained. Where did you hear about him going in for surgery?

Story via the local paper on Pedo.

Everyone has there own opinions, my soft spot is for Garland - I still reckon he's quick enough and a good enough kick to play - and I reckon he's trying his darndest to become an attacking defender, rather than the back up the line style that Neeld loved. 

Either way, we need him as back-up, just in case one of our big three go down and he's signed for another two - so why not just keep him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Story via the local paper on Pedo.

Everyone has there own opinions, my soft spot is for Garland - I still reckon he's quick enough and a good enough kick to play - and I reckon he's trying his darndest to become an attacking defender, rather than the back up the line style that Neeld loved. 

Either way, we need him as back-up, just in case one of our big three go down and he's signed for another two - so why not just keep him.

I'd love to see Garland succeed. I found his reaction after our ANZAC Day Eve win over Richmond last year quite moving to see what it meant for him.

Sadly the times i've seen him at Casey this year he hasn't been great. Given that i suspect if they can get a trade for him they'll do it. I have no inside info on that though.