Terrible 70s Movies

Maple Demon

I sort of liken a few 70s films I've watched recently on Fox Classics as the so bad you have to watch them kind. And often they have a number of really famous (and usually good) actors in them.

Towering Inferno, The Boys From Brazil, and one about fictional detectives locked in a mansion who have to solve a murder mystery. Can't remember the name of that one, but Truman Capote is one of its stars and it has a character named Willie Wang.

Any others that I should consider watching? Or perhaps avoid?

Roger Corman made the original "Little Shop of Horrors" that featured an as yet little known actor Jack Nicholson as a sadistic dentist; in fact, most Corman films are worth a look.  Russ Meyer's "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" is a must watch, if for no other reason than it features an appearance by the psychedelic band The Strawberry Alarm Clock.  

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Maple Demon said:

I sort of liken a few 70s films I've watched recently on Fox Classics as the so bad you have to watch them kind. And often they have a number of really famous (and usually good) actors in them.

Towering Inferno, The Boys From Brazil, and one about fictional detectives locked in a mansion who have to solve a murder mystery. Can't remember the name of that one, but Truman Capote is one of its stars and it has a character named Willie Wang.

Any others that I should consider watching? Or perhaps avoid?

I think you are harsh on Boys from Brazil being a "terrible" 70's movie. I thought it was a great movie - how could it not be with Gregory Peck, Sir Lawrence Olivier and James Mason. 

Very harsh putting it in the same league as Towering Inferno  - which was pretty ordinary.

You want bad 70's  - try Earthquake with Charlton Heston. The actually rigged up the chairs in the theatre to shake the bejesus out of you when the earthquakes were on screen. 

We watched it about 5 weeks ago and i stood behind my girlfriend and shook her chair every time an earthquake hit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nutbean said:

I think you are harsh on Boys from Brazil being a "terrible" 70's movie. I thought it was a great movie - how could it not be with Gregory Peck, Sir Lawrence Olivier and James Mason. 

Very harsh putting it in the same league as Towering Inferno  - which was pretty ordinary.

You want bad 70's  - try Earthquake with Charlton Heston. The actually rigged up the chairs in the theatre to shake the bejesus out of you when the earthquakes were on screen. 

We watched it about 5 weeks ago and i stood behind my girlfriend and shook her chair every time an earthquake hit. 

I guess some of The Boys From Brazil was okay. But the acting of little Hitler was terrible.

59 minutes ago, Maple Demon said:

I guess some of The Boys From Brazil was okay. But the acting of little Hitler was terrible.

I thought the kid who played the English little hitler was poor but the kid who played the American little Hitler was ok...

wait a second.........hmmm...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nutbean said:

I thought the kid who played the English little hitler was poor but the kid who played the American little Hitler was ok...

wait a second.........hmmm...

I kind of wanted punch them both in the face.  Wait a minute....maybe it was good acting!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hardtack said:

Roger Corman made the original "Little Shop of Horrors" that featured an as yet little known actor Jack Nicholson as a sadistic dentist; in fact, most Corman films are worth a look.  Russ Meyer's "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" is a must watch, if for no other reason than it features an appearance by the psychedelic band The Strawberry Alarm Clock.  

That is kind of the joy of watching older films...getting to see actors before they became super well known.

• Like 1

Maple surely the 70's was a high point of cinema, except for the 60's that is. The 70's gave us Saturday Night Fever, the Big Bus, The life of Brian and Flying High just missed being released in 1980 here. It doesn't get much better than that, except the 1960's and Lawrance of Arabia, Sparticus, Dr Strangelove, 2001 a Space Odessey etc.

Yes things film wise have been deteriorating ever since! 

2 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes things film wise have been deteriorating ever since!

Commercial films have been deteriorating as Hollyweird for the most part seems bereft of original ideas, I'll give you that, but there have been plenty of superb "maverick" film makers in more recent times...John Waters, Jim Jarmusch, Werner Herzog, Wim Wenders, and the list goes on.

And what about the 40's and 50's? Film noir, high drama, science fiction that hadn't been ruined by science fact getting in the way of a good story and so on. Films like The Maltese Falcon, Giant, Forbidden Planet, etc.

Edited by hardtack

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

What about The Wiz

Horrible Horrible Horrible Movie.

All time WORST was Duel. GIVE ME MY 2 HOURS BACK YOU BASTARDS!

The Speilberg film about the truck?  Are you kidding?  That is one of the best suspense films I have seen...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hardtack said:

The Speilberg film about the truck?  Are you kidding?  That is one of the best suspense films I have seen...

Thats the one, worst movie ever.

Watched it at school where the teacher used it as an example of compelling cinematography with very little dialogue and a small acting cast.  I couldn't stand it, was so bad.  If i want a movie about a reckless psychotic truck driver I will just drive around the Western Half Ring Road.

4 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

Thats the one, worst movie ever.

Watched it at school where the teacher used it as an example of compelling cinematography with very little dialogue and a small acting cast.  I couldn't stand it, was so bad.  If i want a movie about a reckless psychotic truck driver I will just drive around the Western Half Ring Road.

Wow... like the film, I'm speechless! ;-)

• Like 3

The taking of Pelham 123.

Just take the stupid fkn 

train and crash it FFS.

Edited by Biffen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biffen said:

The taking of Pelham 123.

Just take the stupid fkn 

train and crash it FFS.

I agree Biff, FFS and can I say it again FFS. Shyte what was the issue? 

• 1 year later...

Logan's Run. Some people rate it and the storyline is good. Farah Fawcett makes you gush, but there are so many corny and stupid moments. A Jetsons like city that looks like a video camera is just panning some capsella or lego model, and old Gandolf like character that can't put two words together and my absolute favourite which is a classic line that Logan says to his escape partner Jessica in the ice cave. 

"Let's take our clothes off before they freeze on us"

• Like 1