Jesse Hogan and his kicking for goal (merged thread)

Ricky P

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He has one off day in the office and suddenly the pitchforks are out..

Where are these "pitchforks" you're referring to ?

Why do posters constantly exaggerate the angst ?

The guy has a silly runup that ensures he can hardly kick over a jam tin.  He's very accurate within 35 and can barely make the distance from 45.

It should, and I have no doubt will, be addressed.  If he has this silly runup in 3 years time I'll be amazed.  And if he doesn't have it in 3 years time then people like me, who think it inhibits him, will have been proven to be correct.

• Like 4

I think this talk about hogan on one game is a bit ridiculous. He has proved himself to be a very savvy footballer and even yesterday he did some very clever things. We need to understand that young guys are going to have off days, but I would rather they have them in the NAB CUP than in the season proper.

He will be great for us. I have no doubt.  

Remember, he is much much more likely to sign if he thinks we will be successful. We are a long way to that now!

• Like 2

He seems to have regressed to where he was before the start of last season. He had cleared most of it up. It didnt look that bad at training as it did yesterday.

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

The guy has a silly runup that ensures he can hardly kick over a jam tin.  He's very accurate within 35 and can barely make the distance from 45.

It should, and I have no doubt will, be addressed.  If he has this silly runup in 3 years time I'll be amazed.  And if he doesn't have it in 3 years time then people like me, who think it inhibits him, will have been proven to be correct.

He just had an off day   I watch him kick them from 60 out at training with that silly run up    important was he didn"t drop his head and competed hard all game    he gave goals to Kent and Salem thru it

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

He just had an off day   I watch him kick them from 60 out at training with that silly run up    important was he didn"t drop his head and competed hard all game    he gave goals to Kent and Salem thru it

I go to training occasionally too, chap, and he doesn't even attempt goal-kicking from 60.

During the 2015 season he regularly could not make the distance from 50.

This has nothing to do with an "off day".  We all know he's deadly accurate close to goal.  

As I said, if he has this runup in 3 years time I'm wrong.  He won't. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ProDee said:

How am i exaggerating this? Its half you lot on here plus the media.

Seriously the guy nailed 44.19 last year with the same routine last year and nobody said boo. 

And you saying he barely makes the 45m kick is exaggeration in itself. Plenty of times last year he kicked goals over that distance. 

First time yesterday in his career you can put this down to a real dog of a day. Couldn't hold marks, stuffed his goal kicking up etc.. just blowing out the cobwebs really. Happens to every single playet.

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

How am i exaggerating this? Its half you lot on here plus the media.

Seriously the guy nailed 44.19 last year with the same routine last year and nobody said boo. 

And you saying he barely makes the 45m kick is exaggeration in itself. Plenty of times last year he kicked goals over that distance. 

First time yesterday in his career you can put this down to a real dog of a day. Couldn't hold marks, stuffed his goal kicking up etc.. just blowing out the cobwebs really. Happens to every single playet.

I've been on record saying his action is ridiculous.  Well before yesterday.  If you think he has length in his kicking you're dreaming.

And yes, we all know he's "deadly accurate" within 35.

Honestly .. Can't believe these posts..Second year player & playing second practice game & people are questioning his marking  & kicking accuracy.. It's as stupid as people saying we're looking great from 3 wins in practice games.. 

Edited by Hogan2014

26 minutes ago, ProDee said:

If he has this silly runup in 3 years time I'll be amazed.  And if he doesn't have it in 3 years time then people like me, who think it inhibits him, will have been proven to be correct.

This guy says hi....

kennedy-v-bl-620x370.jpg

28 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Lols.

But on a serious note, I do agree.

One thing I don't think too many people know is that he's left hand-dominant but kicks with his right foot.

Watching his approach during a set-shot, it's clear that it's more natural for him to hold the ball with his left hand over it, (being left hand dominant) as though he's about to kick on his left foot so the twinkle toe/awkward run in makes me think that it's just a bizarre feeling to be left handed and right footed and he really doesn't know what the fark to do until the last two steps of his kick.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I go to training occasionally too, chap, and he doesn't even attempt goal-kicking from 60.

During the 2015 season he regularly could not make the distance from 50.

This has nothing to do with an "off day".  We all know he's deadly accurate close to goal.  

As I said, if he has this runup in 3 years time I'm wrong.  He won't. 

I watched him and Frost do it a couple of weeks ago from 50 and 60

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The Ox got a bit carried away with this: Former Melbourne forward David Schwarz has hit out at young gun Jesse Hogan, calling his kicking for a goal "a disgrace" and saying that it could cost the young forward "$400,000 a year"

Disgrace?  Really?  Sure Jesse's technique could be more effective but to think it will affect his contract is a bit of OTT hyperbole from the Ox!

Hold the phone....Ox getting carried away?  Never!

It's times like this when I wonder if Ox is hogansheroes/petraccattack.

The kid needs work but a 'disgrace' is just Ox screaming for a headline.

Only Demons supporters could be unhappy with a bloke kicking 2-2 in a winning side.

The kid has one "Average" game in a NAB cup game and the toys are being thrown out the cott.

It also doesn't help when a club legend turns around and labels a kids efforts of 2-2 "disgraceful"

Everyone has room for improvement but some people really need to pull their heads in.

Edited by The Sailing Demon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

He may not have dropped his head, but when he loses contests, particularly up the ground, he often gets so angry with himself, he simply fails to chase. I hope they're pointing it out to him, because it reads as petulance. 

But I love that he had a shocker and still managed two, plus a couple of assists.

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

I watched him and Frost do it a couple of weeks ago from 50 and 60

We watched him pre-game yesterday and he was kicking them poorly. I'd say it was just an off day and he'll ease into the season and nail 3 or 4 against the Giants. There's no doubt it's a weird action that may well come to haunt him unless he changes his action. But then equally, Stuie raises a good point with West Coast's Kennedy. His stuttering action didn't seem to impact upon his kicking too much last year, just he often lacked penetration, as ProDee said.

Edited by AdamFarr

15 minutes ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Only Demons supporters could be unhappy with a bloke kicking 2-2 in a winning side.

The kid has one "Average" game in a NAB cup game and the toys are being thrown out the cott.

It also doesn't help when a club legend turns around and labels a kids efforts of 2-2 "disgraceful"

Everyone has room for improvement but some people really need to pull their heads in.

Never a truer set of words

• Like 2

I'm a little perplexed the club hasn't hired a goalkicking mentor to help Hogan with this, ala the Bombers hiring Lloyd to mentor Daniher.

Browny's in Melbourne regularly for Fox Footy, why don't the club get him in as a mentor?

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

I'm a little perplexed the club hasn't hired a goalkicking mentor to help Hogan with this, ala the Bombers hiring Lloyd to mentor Daniher.

Browny's in Melbourne regularly for Fox Footy, why don't the club get him in as a mentor?

They tried a different method, last preseason, it made his kicking even worse?.....so he has gone back to the method he has been using since he was a junior