Leadership Group 2016

Seraph

Interesting selections. 

I'm surprised to see Garland still in there, but it shows how much he does behind the scenes I suppose. 

Massive rap for Gawn to be in there, he has taken huge strides this year (figuratively). 

• Like 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Interesting our Vice captain from last year Lynden Dunn has been left out?

I would have thought he'd be worthy of a place ahead of Garland, especially considering he's VC (presumably for a reason). 

• Like 2

Garland isn't still in it, he's back in it.... Garland haters on here will be livid!

4 minutes ago, Seraph said:

I'm surprised to see Garland still in it, 

Edited by thevil1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Interesting our Vice captain from last year Lynden Dunn has been left out?

Very interesting dd, not sure who the new vc is (or even if there is one?)

From Club Twittter:

Roos: We need a strong leadership group but we also need strong leaders in the team who aren't in that group.Leadership Group

Roos: These six men lead the way in terms of how we want to be as a club.

Captain: Jones

LG: Colin Garland, Max Gawn, Tom McDonald, Bernie Vince and Jack Viney.

Out: Cross, Grimes, Dawes, Lumumba, Dunn

WOW!  Glad to see my smokey tip (Big Maxy) got in.

Nice balance of experience and Youth - 3 of each!. 

For mine we didn't get the on-field leadership when needed from the players that were in the LG.

Very happy with this team.  Very well deserved by the new guys. And great to see Garland back in!!

This is a major overhaul.  Only the Captain kept his spot.  Quite a message by the club.  I think it took some courage for the club to do this so cudos to them for that.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Pretty sure VC is Vince given he was in that position in the team photo and on stage earlier

There will be no VC this year. That's our leadership group as it is.

1 minute ago, thevil1 said:

Garland isn't still in it, he's back in it.... Garland haters on here will be livid! I'm surprised to see Garland still in there, but it shows how much he does behind the scenes I suppose. 

Any work done behind the scenes is appreciated but right now we need on field leaders, time to deliver.

Grimes is another omission. 

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

From Club Twittter:

Roos: We need a strong leadership group but we also need strong leaders in the team who aren't in that group.Leadership Group

Roos: These six men lead the way in terms of how we want to be as a club.

Captain: Jones

LG: Colin Garland, Max Gawn, Tom McDonald, Bernie Vince and Jack Viney.

Out: Cross, Grimes, Dawes, Lumumba, Dunn

WOW!  Glad to see my smokey tip (Big Maxy) got in.

Nice balance of experience and Youth - 3 of each!. 

For mine we didn't get the on-field leadership when needed from the players that were in the LG.

Very happy with this team.  Very well deserved by the new guys. And great to see Garland back in!!

With regards to your comment "For mine....when needed...."

Your referring to the players omitted?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Any work done behind the scenes is appreciated but right now we need on field leaders, time to deliver.

Clearly he is an on field leader too. Wouldn't be picked otherwise. 

No arguments from me, great selections all round! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Grimes is borderline best 22, no point in him being in the leadership group if he's never on the park.

10 minutes ago, thevil1 said:

Garland isn't still in it, he's back in it.... Garland haters on here will be livid!

We prefer to call ourselves Garland detractors. And I'm mildly disappointed rather than livid.

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Clearly he is an on field leader too. Wouldn't be picked otherwise. 

No arguments from me, great selections all round! 

I wouldn't say clearly, to me Dawes clearly was an on field leader. 

But let's agree to disagree. 

Very good decision to put Viney, Gawn and McDonald in. They've played their way in to the role. Likewise taking Dawes and Lumumba out who should not have been given a free ride into it. Not super keen on Garland, maybe it'll help him capture his form of a few years ago but he didn't look the part last year even though he's the first to confess his love of the club

I think the young players being included is important, they're going to be driving this club for the next 10 years, i would have thought Viney is currently a short priced favourite to take over from Jones as captain in the next few years

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Even photoshop won't let Tom and Jack get too close just yet.

Though I'm sure it would have been tempting to photoshop some of Gawn's excess beard onto Nat's head. And it seems they gave something of a smile to Col without making it look too unrealistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffen said:

I think the young players being included is important, they're going to be driving this club for the next 10 years, i would have thought Viney is currently a short priced favourite to take over from Jones as captain in the next few years

Mahoney and Viney Snr have often talked about the list strategy being a core group of young players coming through together, so having those young leaders in there would definitely be a part of that strategy.

Dunn going from VC to nothing and Garland opting back in are pretty curious.