Jump to content
  • Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don't care what you think

If he wasn't made Captain which was one of the WORST decisions in the clubs long history of Bad Decisions Grimes would have been dropped a lot earlier

Like Trengove....Neeld (Read Schwab) made sure they were played way more than they should...

I am on record at the time saying Brad Green should be kept as captain. And he should have been but Neeld also rightly wanted change.

Who would you have made captain from our list in 2012 with the benefit of hindsight? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunn didn't look comfortable with the VC mantle from early on. Surely other saw that too. Very happy with leadership choices, but seems like a lot of changes - did they get last year's group very wrong? I thought Lamumba, Dawes, etc were brought in for that purpose. What does that say?

The only query I have about the group is Tom McDonald. He might really take the next step on field this year (and hope he does), but probably would have waited another year, let him show consistency like Viney. No forwards in the LG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

I am on record at the time saying Brad Green should be kept as captain. And he should have been but Neeld also rightly wanted change.

Who would you have made captain from our list in 2012 with the benefit of hindsight? 

Tough one Wrecker but if Neeld had wanted real change

Chris Dawes should have come into the club as a Captain

Premiership Player "This is how we do it"

Putting 2 Kids in the top job was just ludicrous

And it just eggagerated the fact that 'The Red & Blueprint was so heavily flawed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Tough one Wrecker but if Neeld had wanted real change

Chris Dawes should have come into the club as a Captain

Premiership Player "This is how we do it"

Putting 2 Kids in the top job was just ludicrous

And it just eggagerated the fact that 'The Red & Blueprint was so heavily flawed...

I absolutely agree that making Trengove and Grimes co-captains in 2012 was terrible (I think you'd struggle to find anybody that didn't), but we also didn't have many options. Bringing in a player and making them captain right away (Dawes) can create a lot of tension in the playing group, especially if you're stripping the captaincy from somebody that's still on the list (Green). I said many times going back to 2011 that Jones should have been captain, however in hindsight I would've left Green in charge until he retired before promoting Jones. 

It's great to see that our club has finally recovered from the disaster that was the Schwab/Neeld era and that we at least have stable leadership at the top (Jones).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

I absolutely agree that making Trengove and Grimes co-captains in 2012 was terrible (I think you'd struggle to find anybody that didn't), but we also didn't have many options. Bringing in a player and making them captain right away (Dawes) can create a lot of tension in the playing group, especially if you're stripping the captaincy from somebody that's still on the list (Green). I said many times going back to 2011 that Jones should have been captain, however in hindsight I would've left Green in charge until he retired before promoting Jones. 

It's great to see that our club has finally recovered from the disaster that was the Schwab/Neeld era and that we at least have stable leadership at the top (Jones).

Fair comment. But as was stated if Neeld wanted real change Chris Dawes was the right person. You only had to listen to him in Press Conferences. 

Grimes & Trengove as Captains would have caused tension within the group anyway and it wasn't their fault. 

The whole saga just showed there was no leadership coming from above...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players also had a say in the leadership group back in 2012 didnt they?
For the record here's that leadership group:

Trengove, Grimes, James Frawley, Mitch Clark, Clint Bartram, Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones and Colin Garland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

The players also had a say in the leadership group back in 2012 didnt they?
For the record here's that leadership group:

Trengove, Grimes, James Frawley, Mitch Clark, Clint Bartram, Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones and Colin Garland

Apparently which makes it even worse...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DemonDave said:

The players also had a say in the leadership group back in 2012 didnt they?
For the record here's that leadership group:

Trengove, Grimes, James Frawley, Mitch Clark, Clint Bartram, Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones and Colin Garland

And nothing has changed. The players are asked to vote based on a criteria set by Leading Teams. The criteria can be designed to achieve certain outcomes.

People talk about the LG setting the standards off the field. That may have been the case 10-20 years ago when you only had a coaching department of 3. Nowadays, there would be at least a dozen including support staff. Everything is mapped out for the players.

Just have a look at Luke Hodge. If he was the captain of a struggling club, he probably would have lost the captaincy. The club knows what he offers as an on-field leader, and the DD matter is quickly swept under the carpet. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

And nothing has changed. The players are asked to vote based on a criteria set by Leading Teams. The criteria can be designed to achieve certain outcomes.

 

What criteria do they use Mo? I'd love to know how these mechanisms work, Leading Teams seem as mysteriously ambiguous as ever to me as to what they actually do

and how it benefits us one iota.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DemonDave said:

What criteria do they use Mo? I'd love to know how these mechanisms work, Leading Teams seem as mysteriously ambiguous as ever to me as to what they actually do

and how it benefits us one iota.

Without knowing the exact criteria, I suspect that it led to Dawes and Lumumba being overlooked for 1 reason, and Dunn for another.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leadership groups for sporting teams are a complete [email protected] Of all the ridiculous trends in football, this is right up there with the worst.

What was ever wrong with having a captain, and a vice-captain to replace him if he was unavailable?

It seems to me that having a group of leaders provides a "safety in numbers" feeling, rather than encouraging individuals (either inside or outside the group) to do their bit. I can't see what each of these blokes is actually doing that makes a lick of difference to anything. The best sides will still be the best sides because they have the best players, the crap sides will still be crap. Having a leadership group doesn't change a thing.

The fact that we have just turned over 5 of 6 of last year's group, after turning over 3 of 6 the year before and about half the year before that, shows that we have (a) no idea who our leaders are and (b) how to develop potential leaders into actual leaders. If you are going to have a leadership group, you should be in for a minimum of two (and three would be even better) years so that you can develop your leadership over that time. Chopping and changing every year benefits nobody, least of all the players themselves.

Dawes has never been a leader on or off the field, and never should have been selected. His multiple suspensions in 2014 and his inability to contribute consistently are proof of that. Lumumba was an even worse selection given his lack of commitment on or off the field. I like Grimes as a leader but you can't have fringe players as leaders (same for Lumumba). And Cross was only ever a short term selection. I thought Dunn had grown as a player and leader over recent years, and am disappointed he is not included again.

That said, Viney and McDonald were obvious selections and I'm glad they are in. I would have stopped there and not worried about the rest, none of whom I see as particularly being leaders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all pretty irrelevant apart from the captain. Leadership is shown by natural leaders on the field mainly, with a small amount of influence off field at training and avoiding idiotic behaviour in public. The leaders on and off field don't necessarily correspond to the official "leadership group". In fact I think there's something to be said for not having official leaders apart from captain and vice captain. It just promotes resentment on those who are not picked or are demoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that just because players are no longer in the leadership group that many automatically assume that they no longer have what it takes to be a "leader".

The omission of Dawes is fairly obvious  - he is struggling with his body and needs to concentrate on getting that right so he can play.

The omission of Lumumba and Grimes to me are equally obvious - both need to concentrate purely on finding good form to be selected in the team

The omission of Dunn is an interesting one - I am thinking with a seemingly limit on the numbers that with him turning 29 this year and the inclusion of Vince at 30 they wanted some younger leaders to be included.

 

I disagree with those who suggest that Dawes is not a leader. The debate about his value purely as a footballer  is valid but in my mind he is absolutely a leader - whilst he is rehab he was giving instruction to the Weed and Hulett on body positioning. No matter if he is getting a kick or not he is always marshaling the troops in the forward line.   

To those who insist that leadership groups are a complete [email protected] - Every AFL club has one as do most top level professional teams that I know of. So obviously they see benefit of a leadership group that those calling it a [email protected] just can't understand.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Diamond said:

. It just promotes resentment on those who are not picked or are demoted.

Care to give examples ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview with Tom Mc: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-03-11/were-attacking-it-right-way-mcdonald-

At last the message is getting across on what on-field leadership is all about:  “...need to be more vocal on the field with teammates, especially when it gets late in games and you’re tired. Sometimes you start thinking about where you need to be, but now in the leadership position, you need to be thinking about others and how they’re setting up.”

Not having this cost us several games in 2015.  The most notable one was the last 45 seconds of the St Kilda game.  The Collingwood game also comes to mind.  And all the games where our leaders go missing when we get behind and played as individuals not a team.

2016 will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Interview with Tom Mc: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-03-11/were-attacking-it-right-way-mcdonald-

At last the message is getting across on what on-field leadership is all about:  “...need to be more vocal on the field with teammates, especially when it gets late in games and you’re tired. Sometimes you start thinking about where you need to be, but now in the leadership position, you need to be thinking about others and how they’re setting up.”

Not having this cost us several games in 2015.  The most notable one was the last 45 seconds of the St Kilda game.  The Collingwood game also comes to mind.  And all the games where our leaders go missing when we get behind and played as individuals not a team.

2016 will be different.

This exemplifies what a [censored] the Leadership Group is. It should be incumbant on every player to be thinking of the team things, and not left up to the LG.

And why will 2016 be any different? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I find it interesting that just because players are no longer in the leadership group that many automatically assume that they no longer have what it takes to be a "leader".

The omission of Dawes is fairly obvious  - he is struggling with his body and needs to concentrate on getting that right so he can play.

The omission of Lumumba and Grimes to me are equally obvious - both need to concentrate purely on finding good form to be selected in the team

The omission of Dunn is an interesting one - I am thinking with a seemingly limit on the numbers that with him turning 29 this year and the inclusion of Vince at 30 they wanted some younger leaders to be included.

 

I disagree with those who suggest that Dawes is not a leader. The debate about his value purely as a footballer  is valid but in my mind he is absolutely a leader - whilst he is rehab he was giving instruction to the Weed and Hulett on body positioning. No matter if he is getting a kick or not he is always marshaling the troops in the forward line.   

To those who insist that leadership groups are a complete [email protected] - Every AFL club has one as do most top level professional teams that I know of. So obviously they see benefit of a leadership group that those calling it a [email protected] just can't understand.  

I've come to the conclusion that leadership groups are overanalysed. 

A club needs leaders but the official titles are mainly nice for the individuals involved. Will Dunn no longer be consulted on matters where he would've been last season? I doubt it. I'm sure Jonesy will seek his input all the same.

My gut feel on leadership is the club now has some good leaders and is in the process of developing some great ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, P-man said:

I've come to the conclusion that leadership groups are overanalysed. 

A club needs leaders but the official titles are mainly nice for the individuals involved. Will Dunn no longer be consulted on matters where he would've been last season? I doubt it. I'm sure Jonesy will seek his input all the same.

My gut feel on leadership is the club now has some good leaders and is in the process of developing some great ones.

spot on

In answer to Mo64  - Tom Mc was actually quite contradictory in what he said. There is the quote above and then there is this

“It doesn’t change anything – we don’t want guys who are now in the leadership group to go and change the way they lead and doing different things, because that’s what got them there in the first place.

Confusing Tom !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nutbean said:

spot on

In answer to Mo64  - Tom Mc was actually quite contradictory in what he said. There is the quote above and then there is this

“It doesn’t change anything – we don’t want guys who are now in the leadership group to go and change the way they lead and doing different things, because that’s what got them there in the first place.

Confusing Tom !

The Black Books episode on Team Leaders is so clever...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mo64 said:

This exemplifies what a [censored] the Leadership Group is. It should be incumbant on every player to be thinking of the team things, and not left up to the LG.

And why will 2016 be any different? 

We get it - you don't rate them.  Give it a rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Assume Jack Viney would step up to acting captain if Jonesy misses any games ...

Did a fair job against Port Adelaide in the first NAB game. Signs of things to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...