The Long Weekend

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

I get on a plane to Sydney tomorrow then on a cruise liner on Monday for 11 days around New Caledonia and Vanuatu. First family holiday for me ever - I'm 32, never went on one as a kid and am 10 years in to parenthood without having been on one. Excited would be an understatement! 

Got my tickets to MFC vs Norf at Bellerive, and wife's study schedule permitting will nip over to Melbourne at least once again this year, hopefully for QB weekend. All I need is for the MFC to win a few this year and the year will be sweet as, starting with this long weekend.

Wait, what's this topic about again?

Don't agree to take on anybody's baggage like  I did...

I was at the game today and from a team performance point of view it was disappointing. After quarter time, Williamstown wanted the ball more and were able to get it easily and that was the story of the game. They won at the stoppages, they had a purposel, shared the football around and were cleaner. Casey played like a team that doesn't train together, didn't really have a plan to go about winning the game.

Casey's other issue was that so many players were having their first  hit out - a few of them from injury. Lumumba would be happy with his high possession game but his disposal and decision making needs improvement, otherwise he will be a liability at the higher level. Terlich is less talented and I don't think can adapt. He got a bit of the footy but turned it over too often and, apart from that early piece of play where he bounced three times and goaled, he didn't do near enough. It's not likely we'll see him anywhere other than at Casey. Max King and Mitch King alternated the ruck work and were ample, particularly the former but neither imposed themselves on the game. Sam Weideman had a few flashes of play and with the heavily built Liam Hulett will spend some time at this level finding their feet. Mitch White worked hard in defence but was often outrun.

The shining light was Jayden Hunt who has great pace, is a good kick, is clean and has composure around the ball. It was a promising display in defence. I asked in a thread earlier this year whether he could make it and I now think he will. The Glenelg pair Billy Stretch and ANB worked hard but found the going hard against some tough bodied opposition. Viv Michie didn't do enough if he wants to be elevated from rookie status.

• Like 2

I was there on the outer side, close to Goodwin, McCartney, Mathews and, after quarter time, Rawlings. I go to Casey a fair bit and Goodwin is always in the same spot.

Some interesting conversation between Goodwin and McCartney early on. McCartney commented that Mitch King is a better natural ruck than Max King and that Max has a lot to learn about ruck work. The better games I have seen from Max have always been as a key forward but they persisted with him in the ruck all day. Mitch is very raw but there is nothing not to like.

Later, McCartney queried Rawlings as to whether it was true that Lumumba had run 10K in training yesterday, apparently it was. Also, even though he has changed his name, they still call him Harry O in the heat of battle. He played out the full game and will be better for the run.

ANB, Stretch and Michie tried but were well beaten. Terlich was Terlich, forever trying things beyond his capabilities. Weed and Hulet were unsighted but that was not unexpected.

I watched Hunt at Casey a few times last year and he flashed in and out of the game. When he was good he was very good but went missing for long periods. The move to half-back seems to have been the making of him. He has a primary responsibility to mind his man first and break off to attack as a secondary action. He was, to my mind, Casey's best player although that doesn't mean much. He is seriously quick, at one stage a Willy player was going to collect a simple chest mark near the boundary just in front of us, Hunt came from some metres back and got a fist in to knock the ball out of bounds. The response from the Willy player was well worthy of Dean Kent.

• Like 3

Someone elsewhere commented that they felt the Scorpions were headed for a poor season after today's shocker.

True they looked bad but so too did Werribee which 12 months ago put in a similarly shocking practice match against Casey. They ended up finishing in the top 8, one place ahead of the Scorps.

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

I get on a plane to Sydney tomorrow then on a cruise liner on Monday for 11 days around New Caledonia and Vanuatu. First family holiday for me ever - I'm 32, never went on one as a kid and am 10 years in to parenthood without having been on one. Excited would be an understatement! 

Got my tickets to MFC vs Norf at Bellerive, and wife's study schedule permitting will nip over to Melbourne at least once again this year, hopefully for QB weekend. All I need is for the MFC to win a few this year and the year will be sweet as, starting with this long weekend.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2016 at 8:49 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

From all then training reports I have read it seems Trengove is ready to play and moving really well. Just a matter of getting the green light.

I'd play him after the 15 minute mark of the 1st Qtr,  & the same in the 2nd Qtr, to give him a taste of the tempo & keeping him fresh.  then in the 3rd Qtr, unleash him after the 10minute mark for the remainder of the game.  rotating when necessary.

this would give him a feel for the tempo after so long out of the action, & also ease him into the senior footy again.   Then the following game I would give him 80% game time.

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

is this the Fairstar?  I did the same tour (then Fairstar) in the '80's,  went to F1J1 port vila, noumea, vanuatu, around there.  good fun.