2015 Best 22

FireOath

So, this year we have really got a good look at a lot of our different players that we have in seniors and up and coming stars. There have been some good and poor games from the players throughout the team.

I'd like to see what you think our best team with no injuries looks like?

For me it'd be something like;

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Colin Garland
HB: Daniel Cross, Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba
C: Dom Tyson, Jack Viney, Jack Watts
HF: Jeff Garlett, Chris Dawes, Dean Kent
F: Jeremy Howe, Jesse Hogan, Jay Kennedy-Harris,
FOLL: Max Gawn, Bernie Vince, Nathan Jones
I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem, Sam Frost, Aaron vandenBerg
EMG: Cameron Pedersen, Jack Grimes, Billy Stretch

It is actually pretty hard trying to get everyone I want in. Grimes, Pedo stiff to miss out.

So, this year we have really got a good look at a lot of our different players that we have in seniors and up and coming stars. There have been some good and poor games from the players throughout the team.

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Colin Garland

HB: Daniel Cross, Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba

C: Dom Tyson, Jack Viney, Jack Watts

HF: Jeff Garlett, Chris Dawes, Dean Kent

F: Jeremy Howe, Jesse Hogan, Jay Kennedy-Harris,

FOLL: Max Gawn, Bernie Vince, Nathan Jones

I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem, Sam Frost, Aaron vandenBerg

EMG: Cameron Pedersen, Jack Grimes, Billy Stretch

It is actually pretty hard trying to get everyone I want in. Grimes, Pedo stiff to miss out.

I would put the Ped man in for Dawes and Petracca in for Howe for a start.

Yeah like I said Pedo stiff to miss. Its a hard one that one. I normally would put him over Dawes, problem was his last few games let him down a bit.

Petracca we haven't seen yet and I think we need another medium tall in the forward line. At the best of times, Howe can be a real worry to opposition in the forward line. He has also been kicking straight as of late. Although I didn't catch the last game.

I just quickly tried to do it and realised it is a harder task than you think. A lot of the guys I left out are young talented players who are only going to improve, like ANB, Stretch, JKH, and even Petracca.

If we can get a clear run with injuries, one more 22-28 year old quality midfielder, and see natural improvement from Brayshaw, Hogan, and the other young guys, then we are starting to put together a decent list. And the difference with the last rebuild is that the youth in this team are predominantly smart, tough, natural footy players, as opposed to flankers who had speed and nice skills when under no pressure in the under 18's.

Yeah like I said Pedo stiff to miss. Its a hard one that one. I normally would put him over Dawes, problem was his last few games let him down a bit.

Petracca we haven't seen yet and I think we need another medium tall in the forward line. At the best of times, Howe can be a real worry to opposition in the forward line. He has also been kicking straight as of late. Although I didn't catch the last game.

At least Pedo has done something this year. Dawes has done sweet zilch.

• Like 1

Haven't seen much of Howe either.

I would have ANB ahead of JKH as well.

• Like 1

FB: Dunn Frost Jetta

HB: Salem McDonald Lumumba

C: Toumpas Jones Watts
HF: Brayshaw Hogan Kent

FF: Petracca King Garlett

Foll: Gawn Vince Viney

Int: Vanders Tyson Stretch

S: ANB

Unlucky: Cross, Garland, Pedersen, Dawes, JKH, Grimes, Newton

Traded: Howe

I'm obviously banking on improvement from the young guys but I think at some stage we need to look in to:

- Frost as a genuine tall sized key defender. Dunn does a good job but he's not suited to the big forwards

- More rebound and skill at half back by using Salem, Stretch and Lumumba instead of Cross and Garland

- A proper sized and skilled 2nd ruckman

- Utilising medium forwards with goal kicking ability (Petracca, Vanders, Watts) instead of carrying a 2nd tall forward who can't get the job done (see Hawthorn with Gunston and Breust)

The reality is Dawes and Pedersen will either both be in or fighting for a spot and if he signs on Garland will be in the team. But I don't think there's any harm in hoping that the young players who have impressed for most of this year can improve and stay in the side next year. Likewise that Frost can get fit and fight for a key back spot. King is certainly the biggest hope/prayer of the team but Dawes and Pedersen are only stop gaps, at some stage you have to hope a legitimate option comes along.

• Like 1

I'm obviously banking on improvement from the young guys but I think at some stage we need to look in to:

- Frost as a genuine tall sized key defender. Dunn does a good job but he's not suited to the big forwards

- More rebound and skill at half back by using Salem, Stretch and Lumumba instead of Cross and Garland

- Utilising medium forwards with goal kicking ability (Petracca, Vanders, Watts) instead of carrying a 2nd tall forward who can't get the job done (see Hawthorn with Gunston and Breust)

The reality is Dawes and Pedersen will either both be in or fighting for a spot and if he signs on Garland will be in the team. But I don't think there's any harm in hoping that the young players who have impressed for most of this year can improve and stay in the side next year. Likewise that Frost can get fit and fight for a key back spot. King is certainly the biggest hope/prayer of the team but Dawes and Pedersen are only stop gaps, at some stage you have to hope a legitimate option comes along.

King at full forward completely baffles me. Has only just been promoted to VFL level. And no Cross who has been one of our best defenders? I'm hoping you misread the thread title and have done a team of our 'best 22- 2018'

• Like 3

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Colin GarlandHB: Daniel Cross, Lynden Dunn, Heritier LumumbaC: Dom Tyson, Jack Viney, Jack WattsHF: Jeff Garlett, Chris Dawes, Dean KentF: Jeremy Howe, Jesse Hogan, Jay Kennedy-Harris, FOLL: Max Gawn, Bernie Vince, Nathan JonesI/C: Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem, Sam Frost, Aaron vandenBergEMG: Cameron Pedersen, Jack Grimes, Billy Stretch

I would definitely put [Pedersen] in ahead of Dawes as he can and will ruck, and could go tall defender if one went down during a game ie far more versatile

Would also try to fit Salem in on HBF with maybe HL to a wing, Dom or JW HFF and Garlett moving to FP in place of Howe - you did I think say, or infer, on the form we have seen this year.

With Howe right out, maybe ANB to take Salem's spot on your bench.

But, without our extensive injury list to important players we would look a lot better

I just quickly tried to do it and realised it is a harder task than you think. A lot of the guys I left out are young talented players who are only going to improve, like ANB, Stretch, JKH, and even Petracca.

I know, it is actually pretty hard. I had Grimes in there until I realised I left out Salem.

What??

• Like 1

Georgiou R.R. Martin

King??? Speculative, for 2017 or 2018 at best I would have thought. One good (or at least high scoring without being named in the better players, interpret that how you will) game at VFL, hardly seen since. Sure let us all hope he will be the greatest FF since Dunstall or Lockett, but best line up for 2016????? I certainly hope he will, but absolutely no evidence as yet.

Don't confuse Pedo playing in the ruck with Pedo being able to ruck...

I think that's a pretty good point 'stuie' but he is a better bet forward than Dawes, though not by much.

A lot will depend on the AFL's decision to keep the sub or do away with it but we do need a forward/ruck.

Frost was doing it at the start of the year and at least he gave us something.

Sinclair is one I would have gone after at the end of last year when he looked to be their 3rd choice (4th if you count Cox) but he's passed Lycett now and doing well.

I think that's a pretty good point 'stuie' but he is a better bet forward than Dawes, though not by much.

A lot will depend on the AFL's decision to keep the sub or do away with it but we do need a forward/ruck.

Sinclair is one I would have gone after at the end of last year when he looked to be their 3rd choice (4th if you count Cox) but he's passed Lycett now and doing well.

Don't think you can split Dawes and Pedo as far as output goes, but Dawes is younger and clearly more of a leader so I'd be keeping him over Pedo based on that.

• Like 1

Don't think you can split Dawes and Pedo as far as output goes, but Dawes is younger and clearly more of a leader so I'd be keeping him over Pedo based on that.

Not a lot in it 'stuie' but I go with Pedo because he can take a mark.

I hope we can get some help for Hogan this off season.

• Like 1

Petracca will be a weapon next to Hogan inside 50... what a massive upgrade he would have been on Dawes and any other forward we have on the list.

And yes , Petracca can play as a marking forward. He will do his apprenticeship there in 2016 with stints in the midfield of course.

• Like 1

Mine

B: Jetta, T McDonald, Garland
HB: Salem, Dunn, Cross
C: Toumpas, Viney, Lamumba
HF: Garlett, Dawes, Kent
F: Watts, Hogan, Howe
FOLL: Gawn, Vince, N Jones
I/C: Brayshaw, Tyson, Vandenberg, Spencer/Frost (couldn't decide on the tall)

I think doing away with the sub will allow us to play Dawes and Pedersen in addition to Hogan and then give Pedersen a good rest before he runs around in the ruck (and Dawes a good rest as he plays as a lead up CHF). I can't quite see us wasting 1 bench spot on resting 2 legitimate rucks. If you can't do that with 3 spots on the bench I can't see us doing it with 4. We'll try it, but I think eventually we will get back to the same reality in that we need a player who can legitimately play forward and ruck.

King at full forward completely baffles me. Has only just been promoted to VFL level. And no Cross who has been one of our best defenders? I'm hoping you misread the thread title and have done a team of our 'best 22- 2018'

I'm hoping with increased endurance after his 3rd preseason that King becomes a viable option next year. Yes it's a huge hope but why not? He doesn't have to perform well every week to be best 22, he just has to get ahead of Dawes/Pedersen/Spencer etc.

Cross had a slower start to the year as a midfielder. He'll be another year older (if) he goes around next year. He's done very well on a back flank but I prefer Salem and Lumumba as first choice options. Of course there's always a chance those 2 are redeployed (most likely to a wing) but if Toumpas can find the form he had a few games back and Stretch has a good preseason then it's not impossible that those 2 stay as part of the wing rotations.

The aim is to make the 8 next year. If that is to happen then Crossy will be depth not best 22.

Not a lot in it 'stuie' but I go with Pedo because he can take a mark.

I hope we can get some help for Hogan this off season.

Pedo is also 28 and not getting any fitter. Cam might have a very slight edge in marking, not by much if you actually watch the games mind you, but Dawes has the edge in fitness, leadership, age, running, experience and on and on. Not saying Dawes is a gun, but I'd take him over Pedo going forward.

Pedo is also 28 and not getting any fitter. Cam might have a very slight edge in marking, not by much if you actually watch the games mind you, but Dawes has the edge in fitness, leadership, age, running, experience and on and on. Not saying Dawes is a gun, but I'd take him over Pedo going forward.

Dawes is a Klutz and Pedo is inconsistent but has the odd blinder.

Pedo,if fit,is a far better grab and an arguably better kick.

• Like 2

Jetta Frost Dunn

Cross Tmac Salem

H Jones Angus

Watts Pedo Vince

Garlett Hogan Kent

Gawn Viney Tyson

VB ANB Stretch JKH

Spenser developing along with an injured Petracca and Trengove.

Seeing these young/first year players come in and be effective has been great. A combination of natural talent and development under established coaches.

Just throwing this out there....again....(all estimates)

700k Dawes

400k Grimes

350k Garland

300k Howe

200k Toump

= 1.95 million of our cap on 5 players. I think we could afford to loose all 5 of those players and move forward not backwards. It would do three things. Firstly the so called mentally scarred(I don't see much upside in them, Howe is probably already gone). Secondly frees up massive space in our salary cap. Thirdly allows us to target real talent and put forward real offers to the likes of Hogan. It would mark the last of the dead wood contracts.

Edited by Al's Demons