Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2015 Contracts Thread

rpfc

Jones 27, Melksham 24

Brayshaw 19, Petracca 19, Gawn 23, Garland 26 (UFA),

Dunn 27, Hogan 20, Viney 20, Lumumba 28, Kennedy-Harris20, Salem 19, Vandenberg 23, Neal-Bullen 19, Stretch 18, Kennedy* 21, Bugg* 23, Oliver18, Weideman18, King18, Hulett18

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA), Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Frost 21, Newton 22, O McDonald 19, Pedersen 28, King ®19, White ®18, Smith ®20, Hunt 19, Harmes 19, Michie 23,

OUT (8): Cross (Ret.), Jamar (Del.), McKenzie (Del.), Riley (Del.), Bail (Del.), Fitzpatrick (Del.), Howe (T), Toumpas (T)

INS (8) : Melksham, Kennedy, Bugg, Smith ®, Vandenberg (Upgraded), Harmes (Upgraded), Oliver, Weideman, King, Hulett

* = Require confirmation...

Those underlined are player I think are the top 11 paid players; RFA is determined by players being among these 11 (obviously this will be wrong but hopefully indicative).

Ages are from the 1st April 2015 - an arbitrary date fit for a fool...

Post draft update. Michie and Pick 6 in the RD are all that's left of this thread.

It's at this point that I would like to make aware the fact that only 14 players are left that were on the list prior to Roos taking over and that 5 of those arrived the summer before.

It's been quite a turnover and while the success of it is 'to be seen' it certainly has been promising with trade weeks and drafts coming and going with competitors and strong bodies the focus of each.

• Like 1

Minor suggestion : is it worth updating the ages so that they show the age when the player comes out of contact? Advantage to this will be that they get changed once and you won't need to update then during the year etc.

I find that ages a bit confusing.

• Like 3

We'd be stupid not to be.

Yup, my source on this belongs to another footy club who would have been very interested in recruiting Dom, like most would i imagine, and he is of the opinion it could be done before round 1 and he isn't going anywhere, to many close mates at the Dees

• Like 5

On 1 December 2015 at 6:56:39 PM, Unstable Dees fan said:

Yup, my source on this belongs to another footy club who would have been very interested in recruiting Dom, like most would i imagine, and he is of the opinion it could be done before round 1 and he isn't going anywhere, to many close mates at the Dees

I'm guessing your sauce is from Richmond.

They tried to get Tyson from GWS and apparently grew up a Richmond supporter.

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm guessing your sauce is from Richmond.

They tried to get Tyson from GWS and apparently grew up a Richmond supporter.

There were also rumours about then sticking there noses around during the most recent trade period.

I imagine that most clubs would be very interested in recruiting Tyson if it came out that he was available.

20 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

There were also rumours about then sticking there noses around during the most recent trade period.

I imagine that most clubs would be very interested in recruiting Tyson if it came out that he was available.

I think Richmond won't make the 8 this year, we will pass them on the way up.

4 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Even if we don't pass them this year, I'm willing to bet that we'll win a premiership before they do.

There are only 2 teams IMHO that will win a premiership before we do...

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Let the good times arrive!

7 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Even if we don't pass them this year, I'm willing to bet that we'll win a premiership before they do.

Four teams that will never win a premiership in our life time:

Melbourne

Richmond

St Kilda

Western Bulldogs 

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Melbourne

Richmond

St Kilda

Western Bulldogs 

Unless you are  over 80 ,I doubt that.

Edited by Biffen

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Melbourne

Richmond

St Kilda

Western Bulldogs 

All of those teams have won a premiership in my lifetime.

• Like 3

On 29 November 2015 10:43:54 am, Good Times Grimes said:

Quite a few decent players are coming out of contract at the end of this season. Hope to see Vince, Tyson, Kent, Jetta, Garlett, Frost and the McDonalds signed up soon.

This coincides with Watts/Grimes/Dawes coming out of contract. My guess is those 3 currently suck 1.3 million out of the cap for little return. Watts will change clubs as I see him being dropped again throughout next season, Grimes to retire and Dawes to be given a 1 year contract worth about 100k and to be kept as depth player. The money can than go towards players that will take this club forward.

25 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

This coincides with Watts/Grimes/Dawes coming out of contract. My guess is those 3 currently suck 1.3 million out of the cap for little return. Watts will change clubs as I see him being dropped again throughout next season, Grimes to retire and Dawes to be given a 1 year contract worth about 100k and to be kept as depth player. The money can than go towards players that will take this club forward.

Can't see Grimes retiring...I'm sure there would be some interest in him from rival clubs, and I think he'll be offered a new contract with the Dees. 

My guess is that he'll be wearing yellow and black with his brother in 2017.

Not sure where Watts will end up, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him test the waters. 

• Like 1

My main point is that money will be freed up. I liked the way the club dealt with Howe, no longer are players simply cashing in.

As for Grimes/Watts we will all have to wait and see but there's only so long you can survive in the game whilst struggling to carry out fundamental basics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

My main point is that money will be freed up. I liked the way the club dealt with Howe, no longer are players simply cashing in.

As for Grimes/Watts we will all have to wait and see but there's only so long you can survive in the game whilst struggling to carry out fundamental basics.

Whilst obviously not in the know, I doubt Grimes would be on a big contract. Certainly not big coin, and not exactly "cashing in". Won't retire, but can see him at the Tigers as GTG suggested. Given we don't have a first rounder next year, what would be your suggestion of how to release these players and find others who will "take this club further"? It's easy to say get rid of them, but a lot harder to provide realistic alternatives.

12 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Whilst obviously not in the know, I doubt Grimes would be on a big contract. Certainly not big coin, and not exactly "cashing in". Won't retire, but can see him at the Tigers as GTG suggested. Given we don't have a first rounder next year, what would be your suggestion of how to release these players and find others who will "take this club further"? It's easy to say get rid of them, but a lot harder to provide realistic alternatives.

I think we can agree that any figure thrown about with regards to a players contract is purely speculative. But I'd have Dawes on about 500k and Watts and Grimes on 400k. Watts because of his talent, Grimes because of the captaincy and both because we have to pay someone. Also I don't care how good a bloke someone is or their ability as a public speaker. Yes we want people of good character at the club but it should not be thrown up as a reason as to why someone should get a game. Part of why we've been shizen for so long is our tolerance or acceptance of sub standard skill levels and performances, for too long players go about their business unchecked and unaccountable. Last year things started to change, Grimes was left out of the side for round 1 playing his first game in round 4, only coming into the side after injuries to other players. He was in and out of the team for the rest of the season being dropped twice more before being struck down by injury with only a few rounds left. Grimes has played 8 seasons and there is still massive concern about his disposal and his decision making. I don't buy into him heading to Punt Rd just because his brother is there. Why would Richmond want him? They have been knocked out first week of the finals for three years in a row. Richmond at their best last season were able to beat Freo and Sydney away and Hawthorn at home, but come finals it was the Tigers of old....again. Do Richmond really need another player to chip the ball sideways and backwards. Richmond picked up Yarran during the latest trade period to play of halfback. Grimes on his day is a solid defender but is no threat to the opposition with the ball in his hand. He needs to bring more to the table but after 8 seasons I think there is little chance of this happening. I stand by my claim he was informed by Trengove of his decision to step away from the captaincy but chose to cling on himself as he thought it would guarantee him a game. Roos wanted some stability in his first year as coach so he let it play its course but as 2014 went on the decision became obvious, and that was to remove the decision out of Jacks and the players hands, yes he's well like around the club but his footy was not up to AFL standard and was subsequently left out of the round 1 team. He will be/has been replaced by players like Salem, Melksham, White, ANB. 

I think we are heading towards a Geelong/Hawthorn style team and that is

MID KPD THIRD MAN UP

MID KPD MID

MID MID MID

MID KPF MED FWD/MID

MID KPF SMALL FWD

RUCK MID MID

MID MID MID RUCK/FWD

Thats 13-14 midfielders, players Salem and Melksham who can play off half back, roll through the middle and push up and kick a goal. Petracca and VB who can play midfield and also be very damaging sitting on a fwd flank. There are no more Jordie McKenzie type taggers, Vince towelled up Danger and hurt the Crows when he had the ball. When we have real depth small defender should be another midfielder with elite disposal. No you wouldn't put your best mid in the back pocket but you would put your 13th mid there. I think this is Grimes last year in the AFL.

For the last time Watts has not suffered because poor coaching or debuting too early. Bailey and Neeld weren't Al Clarkson but they have been involved in the game for years at the highest level and have/had a wealth of knowledge. For someone who has suffered so badly he is one of our best users of the footy and decision makers. Watts plays a contested game and is afraid of the contest, an extension of that is his inability to lay an effective tackle. It is as simple as that, people read too much into it. One passage of play best describes Watts career, we were playing Essendon at the G. It was a two on one in our favour chasing a lose ball in the wing. Watts lead the race for the ball followed by an Essendon player then another Melbourne player. Watts knew if he gained possession of the ball there was a chance he might be tackled so he deliberately overran the ball expecting his teammate to win it and handball it off to him. The Essendon player pounced on the loose ball then was soon tackled by the chasing Melbourne player, a ball up resulted which Essendon won and went on to kick a goal. There's outside players then there Watts. Who will replace Watts? Do we even know what his position is? If we refer back to how I think the team will line up, if we don't have a medium size forward that competes whether we're attacking or defending we simply play another mid. I think this is Watts last year at the club, if we got offered a 2nd round pick I reckon we would of taken it for him. For all of his talent his lack of appetite for the contest has him constantly being found out in home and away matches, come finals he would have no influence at all. Opposition coaches don't respect him as they often assign first and second years players to him during games.

Chris Dawes for 500. 

Leadership, big bodied, provides a contest, brings the ball to ground, plays his role are all things you hear from those in the Dawes camp. 

Funnily enough the coaching panel don't agree and he was offered up during trade week with little to no interest. Dawes has cleaned up from his current four year contract and good on him, anyone else would do the same. He should be offered a one year contract for 2017 and possibly another one year contract for 2018 both for 1-200k. The 2018 contact hinges on how quickly The Weed and Hulett come on. 18 clubs has put a stretch on the talent pool so he stays for now. We all know that Hogan is the exception with regards to young KPF. The Weed and Hulett should be given time to find their feet as they continue to grow and learn. If Pedo is fit he plays before Dawes. We don't have Hogan/Pedo/Dawes all in the same side.

• Like 4

On 7 December 2015 at 9:20 AM, Bombay Airconditioning said:

For the last time Watts has not suffered because poor coaching or debuting too early. Bailey and Neeld weren't Al Clarkson but they have been involved in the game for years at the highest level and have/had a wealth of knowledge. For someone who has suffered so badly he is one of our best users of the footy and decision makers. Watts plays a contested game and is afraid of the contest, an extension of that is his inability to lay an effective tackle. It is as simple as that, people read too much into it. One passage of play best describes Watts career, we were playing Essendon at the G. It was a two on one in our favour chasing a lose ball in the wing. Watts lead the race for the ball followed by an Essendon player then another Melbourne player. Watts knew if he gained possession of the ball there was a chance he might be tackled so he deliberately overran the ball expecting his teammate to win it and handball it off to him. The Essendon player pounced on the loose ball then was soon tackled by the chasing Melbourne player, a ball up resulted which Essendon won and went on to kick a goal. There's outside players then there Watts. Who will replace Watts? Do we even know what his position is? If we refer back to how I think the team will line up, if we don't have a medium size forward that competes whether we're attacking or defending we simply play another mid. I think this is Watts last year at the club, if we got offered a 2nd round pick I reckon we would of taken it for him. For all of his talent his lack of appetite for the contest has him constantly being found out in home and away matches, come finals he would have no influence at all. Opposition coaches don't respect him as they often assign first and second years players to him during games.

I really cbf arguing about Watts and making another thread on him but these two points i have highlighted are purely speculation, think about the players that were drafted and developed in that time and think about how many are still on the list. This is clear evidence of poor recruiting, but it is also massive evidence of poor player development that has hindered the club for the last however many years. It was the coaching team and the recruiting teams job to get the right people into the club and develop them in the best way possible and we have not started to do this until recently and the addition of Brendan McCartney will further this.

The club has a value on players, the fact that they didnt trade him was mainly due to the fact that we rate him higher than other clubs and are not willing to let him go seeing as he is a player who has played 60 games in the last 3 years. Players have deficiencies and his are highlighted by the experts on the forum more so than anyone, but still was picked for 20/22 games this year and had patches of reasonable form playing off half forward and moving through the wing. He does have to eliminate lapses of concentration from his game, because whilst people continually mention his lack of competiveness there has also been instances this year which highlight the things he can do that not many others can. The tap back on the goal line to gartlett highlighted his game awareness that not many would have. His disposal is still the best in our side and there are multiple instnaces where he is in the right spot and able to hold his ground in order to mark the footy. Yes he has clangers, but as mentioned, all players have clangers his are just highlighted more than most.

I am doing what i hate, so i will stop talking about Jack Watts, every bloody thread turns into a Watts thread and as soon as i saw that you were the recent comment i knew something would be about him but i was intrigued to read it.

T. McDonald, Tyson, Kent, Vince, Jetta, Spencer, Frost, Watts, Dawes and O. McDonald seem most important to resign and roughly in that order in my opinion.
Can see players looking to hold out til the end of the year but Tyson, Vince and Jetta will probably be made over the summer i think.

19 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I think we can agree that any figure thrown about with regards to a players contract is purely speculative. But I'd have Dawes on about 500k and Watts and Grimes on 400k. Watts because of his talent, Grimes because of the captaincy and both because we have to pay someone. Also I don't care how good a bloke someone is or their ability as a public speaker. Yes we want people of good character at the club but it should not be thrown up as a reason as to why someone should get a game. Part of why we've been shizen for so long is our tolerance or acceptance of sub standard skill levels and performances, for too long players go about their business unchecked and unaccountable. Last year things started to change, Grimes was left out of the side for round 1 playing his first game in round 4, only coming into the side after injuries to other players. He was in and out of the team for the rest of the season being dropped twice more before being struck down by injury with only a few rounds left. Grimes has played 8 seasons and there is still massive concern about his disposal and his decision making. I don't buy into him heading to Punt Rd just because his brother is there. Why would Richmond want him? They have been knocked out first week of the finals for three years in a row. Richmond at their best last season were able to beat Freo and Sydney away and Hawthorn at home, but come finals it was the Tigers of old....again. Do Richmond really need another player to chip the ball sideways and backwards. Richmond picked up Yarran during the latest trade period to play of halfback. Grimes on his day is a solid defender but is no threat to the opposition with the ball in his hand. He needs to bring more to the table but after 8 seasons I think there is little chance of this happening. I stand by my claim he was informed by Trengove of his decision to step away from the captaincy but chose to cling on himself as he thought it would guarantee him a game. Roos wanted some stability in his first year as coach so he let it play its course but as 2014 went on the decision became obvious, and that was to remove the decision out of Jacks and the players hands, yes he's well like around the club but his footy was not up to AFL standard and was subsequently left out of the round 1 team. He will be/has been replaced by players like Salem, Melksham, White, ANB. 

I think we are heading towards a Geelong/Hawthorn style team and that is

MID KPD THIRD MAN UP

MID KPD MID

MID MID MID

MID KPF MED FWD/MID

MID KPF SMALL FWD

RUCK MID MID

MID MID MID RUCK/FWD

Thats 13-14 midfielders, players Salem and Melksham who can play off half back, roll through the middle and push up and kick a goal. Petracca and VB who can play midfield and also be very damaging sitting on a fwd flank. There are no more Jordie McKenzie type taggers, Vince towelled up Danger and hurt the Crows when he had the ball. When we have real depth small defender should be another midfielder with elite disposal. No you wouldn't put your best mid in the back pocket but you would put your 13th mid there. I think this is Grimes last year in the AFL.

Chris Dawes for 500. 

Leadership, big bodied, provides a contest, brings the ball to ground, plays his role are all things you hear from those in the Dawes camp. 

Funnily enough the coaching panel don't agree and he was offered up during trade week with little to no interest. Dawes has cleaned up from his current four year contract and good on him, anyone else would do the same. He should be offered a one year contract for 2017 and possibly another one year contract for 2018 both for 1-200k. The 2018 contact hinges on how quickly The Weed and Hulett come on. 18 clubs has put a stretch on the talent pool so he stays for now. We all know that Hogan is the exception with regards to young KPF. The Weed and Hulett should be given time to find their feet as they continue to grow and learn. If Pedo is fit he plays before Dawes. We don't have Hogan/Pedo/Dawes all in the same side.

Good thought out post.   I just wonder if supporters go to the games just waiting for their pet hate players to make a mistake?    You point out one example in one minute of a game and jump on it to highlight your point.  How do you know what he was thinking "He deliberately ran past the ball"  I just watched the Richmond game and Watts went for a mark and the ball slipped through his fingers, (It was pizzing down)Wayne Carey and the commentators had a real go at him yet 2 minutes later Daniel Cross did the same and nothing said.   Later in the game Garland did the same and the only comment from Bruce was "Gee it's slippery out there"   I have seen Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Nath Jones make horrible mistakes, yet nothing is said.

Also Grimes has played quite a few good games this year yet nothing is said until he makes a mistake then all hell breaks loose on this site.   He is one of our best rebounders out of defensive 50 and whilst his kicking is sometimes questionable I would have him in the side.

I agree that as their contracts are up at the end of the year, the pressure is on them to perform as asked by the coaching panel. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2015, 4:29:17, KrazyJay said:

There are only 2 teams IMHO that will win a premiership before we do...

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Let the good times arrive!

Re: Freo ....I know they're still a genuine chance in 2016. But I get the gut feeling they may have missed their chance. Their question marks are mounting and by that I mean - Pavlich? Sandilands? Bennell? Lyon?