Daniel Merrett

Fat Tony

Not for me.

A forward line with Dawes and Merrett could be a bit slow and cumbersome. Merrett is a bash and crash forward and I don't think we need that - we need more class inside 50 not more bang-and-crash.

As for defence, we already have some experienced key backs in Garland and Dunn. McDonald is coming along well. Pedersen can also chip in as back up. I definitely see a need to recruit another young KP defender but not a 30-year-old who will only play for a couple years.

Thus endeth the thread.

Not for me, 1. He's 30 years old and Brisbane will be asking for a bit for him, and 2. Does anyone remember what he did to Pedersen?

Pass

Not for me.

A forward line with Dawes and Merrett could be a bit slow and cumbersome. Merrett is a bash and crash forward and I don't think we need that - we need more class inside 50 not more bang-and-crash.

As for defence, we already have some experienced key backs in Garland and Dunn. McDonald is coming along well. Pedersen can also chip in as back up. I definitely see a need to recruit another young KP defender but not a 30-year-old who will only play for a couple years.

My thoughts exactly.

if he costs us little why not. he would help our rebuild for a couple of years

He will help us win games

Some supporters dont seem to want that and think we can afford the luxury of a couple more season of 4 and 5 wins

Good, I hope we get Merret. Someone that can dish it out. Our players only take it like poussies. Plus we need someone to close check on Clark and Frawley next season. I wouldn't trust the job to one of their mates.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

He will help us win games

Some supporters dont seem to want that and think we can afford the luxury of a couple more season of 4 and 5 wins

I'm interested in building a team that can ultimately compete for the top 4, not one that can eek out a few extra wins on the back of a few veterans whose best footy is behind them.

Brisbane can see that their young talls are going past him. I just don't see what he adds to our list profile.

I'm interested in building a team that can ultimately compete for the top 4, not one that can eek out a few extra wins on the back of a few veterans whose best footy is behind them.

Brisbane can see that their young talls are going past him. I just don't see what he adds to our list profile.

eeking out a few more wins is what helps development

as well as what he can offer as a role model (playing) to younger players and setting higher standards

• Like 2

Never underestimate what "winning" can do to a mindset/culture.

One doesn't necessarily preclude the other. I like the idea of Merrett and I like the idea of Frost. Merrett takes one spot, perhaps the last on our list.

We can have him and develop. And we've no depth in our tall backs.

• Like 2

That sounds like Melbourne's drafting and recruiting strategy from 2008 until 2012.

• Like 4

I love how some say I would take him for the right price but not many say what that is. I like him but a fair price for a 30 year old back men in contract will be hard to come up with.

Ok, they want to offload his contract I suspect. They now have a bunch of young talls they want to play. They need room for Beams salary. If true, they don't need to screw us, so pick 70-80 does it.

• Like 1

Ok, they want to offload his contract I suspect. They now have a bunch of young talls they want to play. They need room for Beams salary. If true, they don't need to screw us, so pick 70-80 does it.

In my mind yes. I suspect it will be more than that. If they need salary cap room now with their current list they're going to have issues in the coming years.

In my mind yes. I suspect it will be more than that. If they need salary cap room now with their current list they're going to have issues in the coming years.

We can't give more than that for a player with 1-2 years left in his career.

If they want more, say goodbye, unless we are not using a higher pick, or we get a slightly better pick as part of a deal and are not using it..

One doesn't necessarily preclude the other. I like the idea of Merrett and I like the idea of Frost. Merrett takes one spot, perhaps the last on our list.

We can have him and develop. And we've no depth in our tall backs.

The bloke he could actually help the most, in a number of ways, could be Watts.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

Brisbane's list has been slashed by 10 players due to retirement and delisting. If Merret were to be traded they are in a position to take a pick and player in return. Which player would work as a set of steak knives in a Merret deal?