GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

no dont do that! wtf, varcoe has hardly been on the park for like 2 years now.

the dudes got some great skills and a good player - when he plays.

id rather target a younger pair or singe player from geelong. I like the prospect of the young forward in toohey, or kersten.

I agree with you that our culture and many other things within the club have been deplorable but I think you may be a little off the money with the rationale for the players mentioned that have left ( are are leaving).

If you had suggested that a couple have left to play at club where there was more guaranteed and immediate success or finals then I wouldn't disagree.

Scully - seriously - I would leave the MFC for a $1M per year over six years. Dress it up anyway you like - it was about money ( actually a semi trailer load of money)

McLean - out of favor and played his last games as a will of the wisp forward pocket. Wanted out - not because of the culture but because he saw the writing on the wall from the then coach

Rivers - went to Geelong for less money and a chance to play finals before retirement - mission accomplished

Frawley - how can you blame the culture for him leaving ( apparently leaving) when the club has actually gone out of its way to address these issues by bringing in culture builders in Roos and PJ ? He is going for cash and "instant success".

Frawley wants out clearly and do you blame him? I agree that steps have been taken to rectify our culture issues, but that doesn't mean that the issues arnt still there... We have a long way to go yet...

Also... I'd say our club would have kept plodding along pretending that there where no issues, if the AFL didnt step in... So it's a bit of a stretch to say we've gone out of our way to fix these issues...

Played 23 games this season

wow, he snuck under my radar this year. Im 12 months behind on him. good call

well considering that, i would do the deal lol

I keep forgetting who's in charge now, i need to keep reminding myself not to get so concerned when dicey sounding rumours pop up, roos is the boss man, he can handle it.

Varcoe played 23 games this year in a side that finished only % off top spot after the H&A season?

Brett Anderson just mentioned on SEN that this could be the first deal done on Monday morning.

Varcoe's no champion but this year he averaged 15 disposals a game and played 23 games. He's a pretty good ball user with pace and is a fair upgrade on Bail, Salem, Kent, M Jones and a few others that were regulars on flanks for us this year.

Through injuries to the likes of Christensen, Menzel, McCarthy, Kirsten, Simpson and Smedts. He played a total of 15 games in the two seasons previous.

15 disposals a game isn't getting me out of my chair, and I wouldn't describe him as a "pretty good ball user", but I agree he would be an upgrade on a couple of the names you mention.

As I said, it's just about as good as we're going to get for Clark.

• Like 1

Except he won't get to his intended club.

If we are going to get a measly 3rd round pick for Clark, then let's threaten to send him into the draft.

Still might be a straight swap for Lumumba yet IMO.

oh yes he would

do you think another club would take him in those conditions with his unpredictable state of mind and his public desire to go to the cats?

Varcoe played 23 games this year in a side that finished only % off top spot after the H&A season?

Brett Anderson just mentioned on SEN that this could be the first deal done on Monday morning.

Varcoe's no champion but this year he averaged 15 disposals a game and played 23 games. He's a pretty good ball user with pace and is a fair upgrade on Bail, Salem, Kent, M Jones and a few others that were regulars on flanks for us this year.

Chook says hello

We panicked into snapping up Neeld, fearing we'd miss out; then Neeld raced off to Brisbane and snapped up Clark before he went west. Rushing in didn't deliver too well, did it? Maybe (hopefully) we are thinking our way through things a bit more nowadays...

• Like 1

I keep forgetting who's in charge now, i need to keep reminding myself not to get so concerned when dicey sounding rumours pop up, roos is the boss man, he can handle it.

Exactly.

3143703.jpg

• Like 8

We panicked into snapping up Neeld, fearing we'd miss out; then Neeld raced off to Brisbane and snapped up Clark before he went west. Rushing in didn't deliver too well, did it? Maybe (hopefully) we are thinking our way through things a bit more nowadays...

I agree with the sentiment, but early on it was looking like the deal of the decade.

Anyone who could have predicted how things would pan out needs to tell me their tattslotto numbers post haste.

Here we have a player whose been medically advised (supposedly) to change clubs. As in staying at the club is going to be detrimental to his health. Surely that is a first for the AFL, and possibly alot wider.

• Like 4

Frawley wants out clearly and do you blame him? I agree that steps have been taken to rectify our culture issues, but that doesn't mean that the issues arnt still there... We have a long way to go yet...

Also... I'd say our club would have kept plodding along pretending that there where no issues, if the AFL didnt step in... So it's a bit of a stretch to say we've gone out of our way to fix these issues...

Firstly I don't blame Frawley for wanting success but the emotional side of me says - how about stay and make it your mission to make us more successful instead of bailing out.

Secondly, I said we have gone out of our way to fix these issues by having a new Chairman, professional no nonsense CEO and a culture building coach ( with his own hand picked coaching staff). I am not for a minute suggesting that we have fixed the problems - we are one year in to the cultural rebuild. Whether the AFL stepped in ( in the case of PJ) is immaterial - the club, the AFL, the general public all know we have been a cesspool of a club - no secret.

Ra Ra...Raaaaaaa burn the basstard, ra ra....skin the cats and makem eat dog food.....yeah...rarrrrrrr !!!!

Bloody hilarious the frenzy of some.

This is s good day for Melbourne. Im surprised ( and then again... ) that more dont see this.

The list will improve, slowly but surely and it needs deals like these to advance us. If you cant see that then well I think many just dont understand the machinations required to actually grow a team.

• Like 3

id rather target a younger pair or singe player from geelong. I like the prospect of the young forward in toohey, or kersten.

Been hearing whispers that Taylor Hunt is looking at opportunities away from Geelong... not exactly a like for like trade but a straight swap for Clark might be worth a look.

• Like 1

I'd rather we force him to the PSD and tell him we will redraft him if he is still available. If we get nothing for him so be it but we can't continually just have players dictating their terms to us and walking out for a handful of beans. Hunt or Varcoe won't add much to us, I'd rather take a stand than be completely walked over all the time. This club doesn't have the backbone for that though, continually pushed around for my entire life with the exception of when Gutnick was around.

I hope we do that. If Geelong or even Collingwood still wanted him, they would pay.

• Like 1