Club psychologist???

DeeSpencer

come on mate.. just browse the board back to the middle part of the year, everyone including me was pretty happy with how the Roos era was taking shape. It is a different side over the last 4-8 weeks and I don't know why

"Brilliant"

I have not seen Brilliant in a MFC side for at least four years.

Good on occasion maybe.

Absolutely support the OP. I don't know how much effort the club puts into the "mental" side of player development but I doubt there is a poster out there who hasn't complained about Jack Watts' apparent lack of desire for the contest. If you want a player to run through brick walls you need them to believe that they can do so. That belief can be found in many ways. Some have an intrinsic belief (I think Nathan Jones would be a great example) and others need to be told they can do it, often over and over.

And apart from anything else, Jack Watts and some of the other players probably need help to cope with the criticism they receive from the media and supporters, too.

It covers many areas of psychic science including near-death experiences

I had one of those watching the game on Sunday

I think there were 20 000 of us approaching the pearly gates nutbean

The road got overcrowded and we were sent back but I am sure someone crossed over.

I think there were 20 000 of us approaching the pearly gates nutbean

The road got overcrowded and we were sent back but I am sure someone crossed over.

Unfortunately we don't get a quick painless death - we get season long agony and we go into remission at seasons end and during the preseason then start the agony all over again in the season proper.

Am I the only one worried that the influence of unempirical shamanism is a bad thing to expose our already scarred playing group to?

Bad treatments for real problems are worse than no treatments at all.

Trained professionals only please.

Unfortunately we don't get a quick painless death - we get season long agony and we go into remission at seasons end and during the preseason then start the agony all over again in the season proper.

That thought has been with me for most of the last half century nutbean I must have been really bad in a past life.

Am I the only one worried that the influence of unempirical shamanism is a bad thing to expose our already scarred playing group to?

too late...i've already booked a good witchdoctor from romsey that bbo put me onto

he should starting casting his spells shortly

money back guarantee too

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 2

Looks like it Choke.

I have got the point that for 20 of them my opinion is from that film " Frankly my dear I don't give a dam "

• Like 1

too late...i've already booked a good witchdoctor from romsey that bbo put me onto

money back guarantee too

You know that's just BBO in a costume right?

You know how he loves to shake his stick.

money back guarantee too

It is not hard to give back nothing dc

no it's all ridgy didge od (you'll understand that expression)

i just had to give my bank details to his nice nigerian manager

no results and they debit my account

I have to admit dc that is a very fine offer

How did you luck into that one?

Comedy aside I do worry about our players getting caught in the death spiral of failure > expectation of failure > more failure. When this question came up at one of the Neeld information night/crisis meetings in 2012 he said that they didn't need it because we had X amount of coaches and football department people that players could speak to if they had concerns.

Which in retrospect is total bollocks because a) what if your problem is with the coaches, b) how many young players or fringe players under danger of the axe are going to show vulnerability going to an assistant coach and admitting they've lost the will to play and c) even if they did what's an assistant coach going to do? Not sure Mrs Roos' yogic flying lessons are going to be much help either.

Clubs with psychologists:

Collingwood (Psychology and Wellbeing Manager)

Essendon (cunningly listed as a 'performance psychologist' so he doesn't have to counsel them about other matters)

Hawthorn

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide (sports psychologist)

Richmond

Near enough to:

GWS (player welfare manager)

St Kilda (player welfare manager)

Carlton (player development and welfare manager)

Nothing:

Adelaide

Sydney

Couldn't find a staff list for Brisbane, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, West Coast, Western Bulldogs

Edited by Supermercado

A psychologist I know told me this. "A psychologist can only help those who want to help themselves. And those that really want to help themselves dont need a psychologist". Make any sense?

Edited by america de cali

A psychologist I know told me this. "A psychologist can only help those who want to help themselves. And those that want to help themselves dont need a psychologist". Make any sense?

So they are all starving and looking for work in another field?

Comedy aside I do worry about our players getting caught in the death spiral of failure > expectation of failure > more failure. When this question came up at one of the Neeld information night/crisis meetings in 2012 he said that they didn't need it because we had X amount of coaches and football department people that players could speak to if they had concerns.

Which in retrospect is total bollocks because a) what if your problem is with the coaches, b) how many young players or fringe players under danger of the axe are going to show vulnerability going to an assistant coach and admitting they've lost the will to play and c) even if they did what's an assistant coach going to do? Not sure Mrs Roos' yogic flying lessons are going to be much help either.

Clubs with psychologists:

Collingwood (Psychology and Wellbeing Manager)

Essendon (cunningly listed as a 'performance psychologist' so he doesn't have to counsel them about other matters)

Hawthorn

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide (sports psychologist)

Richmond

Near enough to:

GWS (player welfare manager)

St Kilda (player welfare manager)

Carlton (player development and welfare manager)

Nothing:

Adelaide

Sydney

Couldn't find a staff list for Brisbane, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, West Coast, Western Bulldogs

I'd see a psychologist in an elite sport environment as focussing on high performance and we have leading teams to perform this role.

I'd draw the analogy of a fringe player going to the club wellbeing manager/psychologist with personal problems being akin to a temporary employee going to HR with a personal problem or the Essendon players using lawyers appointed by the club.

Yeah I'm with you.

Calming rituals, sure. Breathing and concentration exercises, yep. Yoga and even slow-motion 'mental walkthoughs' of skills, all been shown to be useful.

But 'para-psychic' bollocks, is, well, bollocks.

• Like 1

A psychologist I know told me this. "A psychologist can only help those who want to help themselves. And those that really want to help themselves dont need a psychologist". Make any sense?

Wow... I can see the conversation now.

"Doctor, I'm doing my best to manage my mental illness, following all the recommended guidelines, I even do 'mood gym' programs."

"Oh, well, you don't need my help. Have a nice day."

"But I still feel like killing myself several times a week!"

"I see. So you aren't really trying hard enough. Sorry, I can't help people like you."