What are we missing?

People get paid what they are worth.

We have money and cap space - Fyfe would be a fantastic get. Beaten only by Dangerfield.

Yep. He's a great player, without the Buddy factor where you risk paying for the profile on top of the ability. Any club with the means to afford him would be crazy not to grab him.

Fyfe would be a huge get, and we have the trade assets and the cap room to get the done if he is seriously considering leaving fremantle,

I also think Matty Rosa and David Mackay would be great, abit of outside run and class to compliment Jones, Viney, Tyson and co

Melbourne is one of the great 'silent supporter' clubs. Just watch them all come out of the woodwork as we improve. We get some flack for it, and probably rightly so, but there are generational MFC families who go quiet when we're not winning. As for building support, Jeremy Howe in form, Jacks Viney, Watts, Dom Tyson, and particularly JKH as his profile grows, will draw in a new generation.

We've also got 30,000 very tough, loyal fans. Even in the doldrums of 08-13, we had that many. I'm not sure if any other club could have coped with the past six years and still maintained such a supporter base. I reckon we have another 15,000 up our sleeve. All those that haven't buggered off to Hawthorn.

Apparently Tom Mitchell had 60+ possessions in the seconds last round. If this can't get him a game you'd think he might be a little frustrated.

Yeah, I heard this, but didn't put too much weight toward it. It's a sub-standard seconds comp up there, but I agree. Tearing it up on Mitchell's behalf and still not cracking the senior team would foster some frustration.

Good quality ball users off the half-back.

Roos may have already found one in Howe. His field kicking has always been very good - as opposed to his set shot kicking

The other bloke I'd like to see tried there is Kent. He spent a little bit of time in defence in a game earlier this year & appeared to relish the role. He has a good left leg & like Howe, might be suited to having the game in front of him. Lack of height might be a concern but I reckon it's worth experimenting

• Like 1

Melbourne is one of the great 'silent supporter' clubs. Just watch them all come out of the woodwork as we improve. We get some flack for it, and probably rightly so, but there are generational MFC families who go quiet when we're not winning. As for building support, Jeremy Howe in form, Jacks Viney, Watts, Dom Tyson, and particularly JKH as his profile grows, will draw in a new generation.

if you look at the figures we actually shape up well compared to most clubs when you look at attendances/memberships in good years vs bad years

we've finished

14, 16, 16, 12, 13, 16, 17

in the last 7 years

I would like to see Collingwood and Hawthorn's numbers after a period like that

• Like 1

People get paid what they are worth.

We have money and cap space - Fyfe would be a fantastic get. Beaten only by Dangerfield.

Should have got Fyfe the first time around instead of Gys and Tapscott in 09

I return, just got my computer fixed after like 3 weeks, so can finally talk footy

Here's what i think our best possible side looks like

Back: Dunn, Garland, Jetta

Half-back: Howe, T-Mac, Grimes

Mid: Vince, Viney, Cross

Half-forward: Watts, Hogan, Pedersen

Forward: Gawn, Dawes, JKH

Foll: Jamar, N. Jones, D. Tyson

I/C: Trengove, Salem, Frawley

Sub: Bail

Emer: Terlich. Toumpas, M. Jones

Now that looks pretty solid, even if we lose Frawley, it'll give us room for Toumpas (not saying I want Frawley gone either)

We don't need a star midfielder like Dangerfield, we already have Jones, Tyson, Viney etc. I say we throw the boat at Luke Parker and get in Tex Walker and David Mackay's ear to come to the Dees.

Starting to mold into a good looking side.

I wouldn't mind a North Melbourne mid either, they have way too many and probably would barely care if one wanted to leave. i'm pretty sure Ziebell was the sub on the weekend (don't hold me to it)

Dylan Shiel wouldn't be too bad either.

But No. 1 focus for me is Luke Parker and Tex Walker, and trying to keep Frawley

And Dunn is a must, get him to sign that contract Roosy, and while you're at it sign a 3 yr one for yourself.

We need a FF without an inflated ego. (not too many of those around) I haven't left out Hogan, it's just that I would want to make sure he can string games together.

We also need patience because Viney, Toump, Salem, Tyson, Vince, Jones are starting to mould into a great unit.

We will have to look at getting a couple of other middies to top up the succession plan.

Crossy is not going to be there forever, same for Vince.

• 3 weeks later...

Today confirmed my belief that we are in need of another smart/quick small forward to compliment our talls, and add some more forward pressure.

Not only did we not look dangerous in our limited entries in our forward line, but we didn't manage to create too many turnovers in their defensive 50 either.

A Luke Bruest, Motlop, Wingard type player is what I am thinking.

• Like 1

We're missing an umpire who won't pull a player back for hand balling to a teammate to kick a goal from outside 50 with minutes to go in the third term to bring the margin back to within a kick...

• Like 2

Umpires are hardly the issue..

The very reason we lost today was because few of our players had the trust to hit up a short target and get the ball moving forward quickly. Whether that's confidence alone or going against coaching orders I have no idea but it was clear that's the reason we lost.

The amount of pointless kicking backwards and sideways was baffling. To the point where sometimes players weren't even looking forward for the first option.

Coaching? Players?

I reckon we still have some slow minded and average skilled players.

Still a problem.

If anything, today highlighted what good ball users off half back can do for a team. Their top two or three possession getters in the first half (aside from Pendlebury) were both back flankers. I'd also argue Clinton Young was the most damaging player on the ground. We need pacey and skilled back flankers. At least two.

Edited by AdamFarr

Today confirmed my belief that we are in need of another smart/quick small forward to compliment our talls, and add some more forward pressure.

Not only did we not look dangerous in our limited entries in our forward line, but we didn't manage to create too many turnovers in their defensive 50 either.

A Luke Bruest, Motlop, Wingard type player is what I am thinking.

There ya go, JK-H is a very good find, but he's too light at this moment. He needs to get stronger, & heavier slowly, & meaner/nastier at all contests.

Imo we need possibly 3 small forwards on our list. but they need to have the skills & mass to run thru the middle... I would love to get Prestia to us, & draft Pickett.

IF, we end up with say picks 5 & 6 at end of season Via free agency compo, we could possibly trade one to GWS, if a deal can be struck, for a player (Shiel)& a return pick. Or maybe 2 picks to them, say (6 ? + 22) to them for Shiel & Jaksch ?

.... And also use our other 1st pick for the draft for a top kid, maybe a Pickett ?

Have a look at young Pickett. I don't know if there are others in the draft yet but I saw vision of Pickett, & he looks really good to me.

# I've just had a look thru the internet for the small forwards, Picket is obviously Highly regarded, but looking for others, > Jordan Cunico... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/top-20-under18-players-to-watch), Willi Rioli... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/willy-rioli), Aaron Christensen... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/aaron-christensen-falcons),

Anyone know of other goal sneaks with pace, who have the grunt to one day be a headache thru the centre ?

Roos may have already found one in Howe. His field kicking has always been very good - as opposed to his set shot kicking

The other bloke I'd like to see tried there is Kent. He spent a little bit of time in defence in a game earlier this year & appeared to relish the role. He has a good left leg & like Howe, might be suited to having the game in front of him. Lack of height might be a concern but I reckon it's worth experimenting

I see your thinking Biff, it could be a good stepping stone for Kent as we churn our list. not against Kent paying off half back for a while.

We should target one of the following: Dangerfield, Redden, Rockliff, Sidebottom, Beams, Hannebery, Steven, Fyfe, and Josh Kennedy (Swans).

Game breakers are required to win games like the one we strangled on Monday. The bolded are certainly those. The others would be fantastic help for Jones to take that next step.

• Like 1

We should target one of the following: Dangerfield, Redden, Rockliff, Sidebottom, Beams, Hannebery, Steven, Fyfe, and Josh Kennedy (Swans).

Game breakers are required to win games like the one we strangled on Monday. The bolded are certainly those. The others would be fantastic help for Jones to take that next step.

Dees would be happy with any of those. However being a pessimist I would presume Jack Steven being the only one we have a real chance at picking. Im glad to be proven wrong...

Dees would be happy with any of those. However being a pessimist I would presume Jack Steven being the only one we have a real chance at picking. Im glad to be proven wrong...

Really? I thought he, Rockliff, and Kennedy were the ones with no chance, everyone else we could get.

What do we need ?

Hogan on the park!

Dawes needs Hogan for support and to provide at least two avenues to goal...We then need Frawley down back (to replace McDonald who is too slow physically and mentally).He is NOT a forward...We need Howe back on the forward line..The best high mark in the AFL cannot continue to be wasted down back.. We OBVIOUSLY now need to kick goals and we o NOT need McDonald in this team if we are to progress...

Really? I thought he, Rockliff, and Kennedy were the ones with no chance, everyone else we could get.

Tbh, with this free agency I wouldnt be suprised to land any of these. Agree Kennedy is untouchable.

Edited by the grint

Dawes needs Hogan for support and to provide at least two avenues to goal...We then need Frawley down back (to replace McDonald who is too slow physically and mentally).He is NOT a forward...We need Howe back on the forward line..The best high mark in the AFL cannot continue to be wasted down back.. We OBVIOUSLY now need to kick goals and we o NOT need McDonald in this team if we are to progress...

Not a fan?

I reckon he's okay and I want to see him coached by our current coaches.

Disposal's an issue, but I think there's quite a bit of an upside to him.