Saints Consider Moving Back 'Home', while we just ...

iv'a worn smith

It will be good for The Saints,the game and us if the Junction is developed .

The AFL could structure the draw to give us a couple of games there against interstaters and potentially save us cash .

I hope the Blackie/Ironmonger stand is restored and not demolished in the process.

It is a beautiful ground and a lucky one for us in some ways.

I remember the buzz of training in the 87 lead up there and watched the crowd grow by the week .

We will need to get the possums back to AAmi and relocate the vault there too.They're ours.

Also I may be wrong but did we win our first flag there?

Supermercado,OD anyone?

• Like 1

I hope the Blackie/Ironmonger stand is restored and not demolished in the process.

It is a beautiful ground

You only want the stand 'restored' because that's where you crash when you're locked out of the Gat late at night...

I agree it's a beautiful ground though.

• Like 1

The AFL could structure the draw to give us a couple of games there against interstaters and potentially save us cash .

I remember the buzz of training in the 87 lead up there and watched the crowd grow by the week .

We will need to get the possums back to AAmi and relocate the vault there too.They're ours.

Supermercado,OD anyone?

Night Flag, '87, while we trained outa there.

You only want the stand 'restored' because that's where you crash when you're locked out of the Gat late at night...

I agree it's a beautiful ground though.

the only problem with the location Re being a Boutique Stadium, is no railway line passing straight past the ground.

Supermercado,OD anyone?

Agree Biffen, I had a friend who followed Fitzroy and went there with him for a number of games.

Always like it, playing surface was always good.

Your question is a bit before my time.

I don't even know when we won no. 1 flag

the only problem with the location Re being a Boutique Stadium, is no railway line passing straight past the ground.

That's a problem dee-luded?

By then we will only have 10 000 members

Night Flag, '87, while we trained outa there.

I think we won our first ever flag there in 1899 or around then.

Will ask Mr Google and get back.

Fitzroy won in 1899 there.

We won in1900 at East Melbourne Cricket Ground after finishing 8th!

The roy boys won all three flags played there.

Settled???? That is my point exactly. Again, I am not arguing any merits for the Saints move to the Junction Oval. This simply is about a physical and spiritual home. Given our current malaise, I would say we are anything but settled.. Footy Department at AAMI, Admin at the 'G, train on Gosch's paddock, with the occasional sojourn down to Casey. Settled !!!!!!

Current training facilities best the MFC ever had... PJ was asked some question & said I don't think walking over the bridge to admin office in 5 minutes is to blame for the playing performance over the last 7 yrs!

Tell that to Daniher teams... 6 final series, 2 prelims & GF.... At junction oval, pre seasons spread over 3 venues, no goal posts etc...

• Like 1

Current training facilities best the MFC ever had... PJ was asked some question & said I don't think walking over the bridge to admin office in 5 minutes is to blame for the playing performance over the last 7 yrs!

Tell that to Daniher teams... 6 final series, 2 prelims & GF.... At junction oval, pre seasons spread over 3 venues, no goal posts etc...

people keep distilling our failings to recent years; when we really have been for the major part of 50 years.

we only became a power team after Richmond lost Percy Page & Frank 'Checker' Hughes to us, in the early 30's.

Checker transformed the fuchsias into Demons, changed the culture, & we became winners. those young footballers who grew under the new culture became winners in their own rights, & some carried the culture onward.

After some success, the power went to the heads of some, & the bond was smashed.

we've not been able to regain it, & now are less of a club than in that Era.

we are now like an organisation with remote investors, located all over the points of Australia's compass. & no soul.

I can't believe you guys didn't know our first flag was won in 1900! Due to our win that year the league altered the finals system because we won after finishing so poorly that (6th with a 6-8 record while Fitzroy finished 1st with an 11-3 record). The entire season was basically thrown out after the H&A rounds and the clubs divided into two groups (1st, 3, 5 & 7; 2nd, 4, 6 & 8) to play a round robin. The teams who finished on top of both divisions (Melbourne & Essendon) then played off in a final and Fitzroy had the right to challenge in a Grand Final due to finishing on top after the H&A. The following year the same "divisional round" was maintained but the wins and losses were just added to the H&A ladder in effect simply creating 3 extra rounds with a final 4 finals system following.

There's your history lesson for the day.

I don't really see so much of an issue with our current set up, in an ideal world we would have everything confined to the one venue (a perfect world would have us training at the G!) but we are all in the same precinct and the idea of Goshes Paddock (I still think that needs to be renamed by the way) and AAMI Park being a separate location is ludicrous. Footy department and Admin are separated by a bridge so it's not a massive problem.

Should something arise in the future where everything can be consolidated into one then should consider going for it but for now there are surely bigger fish to fry.

As for the boutique stadium idea, I'm definitely a fan. Although it wouldn't be the most convenient spot for people to get to I still feel there's enough public transport infrastructure around to cope with it and it would be nice to play at a ground where 20000 looked packed as opposed to empty. I think there's still some way to go but I really feel a developed Casey Fields could be a similar option.

I don't really see so much of an issue with our current set up, in an ideal world we would have everything confined to the one venue (a perfect world would have us training at the G!) but we are all in the same precinct and the idea of Goshes Paddock (I still think that needs to be renamed by the way) and AAMI Park being a separate location is ludicrous. Footy department and Admin are separated by a bridge so it's not a massive problem.

Should something arise in the future where everything can be consolidated into one then should consider going for it but for now there are surely bigger fish to fry.

As for the boutique stadium idea, I'm definitely a fan. Although it wouldn't be the most convenient spot for people to get to I still feel there's enough public transport infrastructure around to cope with it and it would be nice to play at a ground where 20000 looked packed as opposed to empty. I think there's still some way to go but I really feel a developed Casey Fields could be a similar option.

It will be a cold day in hell before I look forward to a drive to Casey to watch us play an intestate team (and get smashed) rather than go the G.

I truly hope we can improve and get crowd numbers around 25k or more to even or lowest drawing games so that we can have them all at the G.

• Like 3

Casey Fields is the wrong location for a boutique stadium, out in the Sth-East. but its OK for a VFL home, just not an AFL location for a stadium.

heres the spot for an AFL Boutiqe Stadium, with all the infrastructure needed to serve all people from greater Melbourne, the South of Melbourne, to the outer East of the state.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dandenong+Trash+N+Treasure+Market&ie=UTF-8&ei=CvxHU_25AtHylAWh-IC4Ag&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

What's the point of this?

We were a club born out of a stadium, and that's unique. As things stand, the MCG cannot be trained on, nor is there room for a footbal department. That makes it practical to house it across the road, but considering AAMI is square, we train on the ovals next to it.

All three places are a short walk from eachother.

• Like 1

St Kilda completely screwed up a major relocation, moving too far south for anyone to reach, in an environment that didn't meet all their requirements and which came with all sorts of council and property developer wrangles, and which the players openly disliked.

Now they are looking at a cobbled-together redevelopment of an old suburban ground in partnership with a user who will need the ground for their own, non-compatible, purposes for large chunks of the year.

And apparently that's a sign that we, with our state-of-the-art football facilities located over the road from our administrative base, all in the heart of the city and in the literal shadows of the MCG, have been complacent and foolish,

Sigh.

• Like 1