Paul Roos on AFL360

Said unfair to focus just on watts......have been trying him in a lot of positions as they have been trying a lot of people in different positions & they might have to look at themselves (coaches) they might be doing the wrong thing. Bomber also reiterated that he gives players lots of chances

6 years of chances? Different positions aren't the problem, it's his intensity that is the problem. Intensity, attack on the football, pressure, tackling etc. are non-negotiables in every position on the ground!

• Like 5

so im assuming he is on tonight? I presume the first question will be about Watts and even Howe and what else he said. Any reports would be great.

He hinted that Watts could be a female, so there isn't much point going too hard - too early - on him.

So Roos is going to just nurture him.

• Like 2

6 years of chances? Different positions aren't the problem, it's his intensity that is the problem. Intensity, attack on the football, pressure, tackling etc. are non-negotiables in every position on the ground!

Sometimes hard to apply intensity when you are unsure where to focus it.

And I don't think Roos would be living up to the "clean slate" mantra, if he was to take into account the last 6 years.

Which he shouldn't.

• Like 2

Sometimes hard to apply intensity when you are unsure where to focus it.

And I don't think Roos would be living up to the "clean slate" mantra, if he was to take into account the last 6 years.

Which he shouldn't.

mate, come on. Intensity at the football and man is a nonnegotiable for a professional footballer.

You focus it at the FOOTBALL or your OPPONENT. There is nothing to be "unsure" about. Positions are regardless.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 2

There is a certain love fest going on between Bomber and Roosy.

Two top coaches and no disagreeable discussions between the two.

Do you think (forgetting Watts) at this stage, that if Hird goes back to Bummer land,

Bomber may be the heir apparent to Roosy?

On Foxtel they think alike, maybe too much alike.

Would you like bomber as the next coach?

/

mate, come on. Intensity at the football and man is a nonnegotiable for a professional footballer.

You focus it at the FOOTBALL or your OPPONENT. There is nothing to be "unsure" about. Positions are regardless.

At times yes.

But you are aware that the opponent is a fluid concept in today's football?

I think he's struggling with confidence, his effort isn't where it needs to be, but he's also hesitant and unsure at times.

It doesn't help when he's asked to play an unfamiliar role.

You might not think its an unfamiliar role, but it is in a new system under a new coach.

Not trying to make excuses for him, but sometimes the criticisms of Watts are severely unbalanced.

At the end of the day, it's difficult to apply 100% intensity towards a task when your second-guessing as to whether you're going to the wrong man, or running to the wrong spot.

It's not an excuse when he is running with a direct opponent, as was the case at times, and he should be condemned for that.

As should his teammates that go largely unnoticed in comparison.

• Like 4

Remind me what he did to get droppped?

A lot less than [censored] Watts

haha..geeze you are a childish clown. As soon as Watts puts a few weeks together you'll be labelling him a superstar.

Toumpas can feel aggrieved as much as he likes. He's second year player learning his craft, and he hasn't yet put forward a strong case to come back into the side. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders so I doubt he's giving Watts a second thought. He'll be focused on improving his own game.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 3

A bit unnecessary. I was given a warning for such comments directed at Moloney back in the day. Different regime, but you might want to watch yourself.

He hinted that Watts could be a female, so there isn't much point going too hard - too early - on him.

So Roos is going to just nurture him.

Wow, maybe you would like to post about Barry being unable to play in cold conditions while you are running at this peak in your Land career.

• Like 8

for not being good enough to be in the 22

in the past if you were a first round draft pick we just named you anyway

thank God that is over

If thats the case Watts isn't good enough to be in the side and deep down you know it. Two weeks in a row I have seen Watts disgraceful attempt at a chase. Roos says he will cop skill errors but not effort. He hasn't shown effort since round 1.

I saw Toumpas in the two games try and chase and put pressure on his opponent. He was seriously stiff to get dropped compared to what Watts is dishing up.

• Like 1

Seriously pull your head in, a lot of us have issues with Jack's perceived lack of effort but that is uncalled for

• Like 2

At times yes.

But you are aware that the opponent is a fluid concept in today's football?

I think he's struggling with confidence, his effort isn't where it needs to be, but he's also hesitant and unsure at times.

It doesn't help when he's asked to play an unfamiliar role.

You might not think its an unfamiliar role, but it is in a new system under a new coach.

Not trying to make excuses for him, but sometimes the criticisms of Watts are severely unbalanced.

At the end of the day, it's difficult to apply 100% intensity towards a task when your second-guessing as to whether you're going to the wrong man, or running to the wrong spot.

It's not an excuse when he is running with a direct opponent, as was the case at times, and he should be condemned for that.

As should his teammates that go largely unnoticed in comparison.

Lack of confidence doesn't stop you putting up your arms when you're the man on the mark. Couldn't believe I was seeing that from a professional footballer. Just stood there with his arms down then jogged away after the kick with his head down. At least 3 times that happened.

• Like 2

Lack of confidence doesn't stop you putting up your arms when you're the man on the mark. Couldn't believe I was seeing that from a professional footballer. Just stood there with his arms down then jogged away after the kick with his head down. At least 3 times that happened.

Are you serious? It's exactly what leads to that output.

Of course there can be other causes for it, but to say lack of confidence doesn't, to me, is just plain ignorance.

Are we talking about Frawley here? He did this every week at full back.

Sorry. Should have been clearer with that post. I wasn't exactly defending Watts, merely pointing out that this has been endemic of this team for a long time. Roos has got Frawley playing a more confident brand of footy. Hopefully, Watts is next. Let's just give him a chance though.

Are you serious? It's exactly what leads to that output.

Of course there can be other causes for it, but to say lack of confidence doesn't, to me, is just plain ignorance.

Then I'd say it's more a result of poor methods of dealing with a lack of confidence or whatever's killing his mellow. When I'm lacking confidence in hitting targets, I go harder on the one percenters cause that's how I know I can still play a role and it builds your confidence as well. Jogging around and not putting in enough effort to raise his arms is a ridiculous method of dealing with it and would show a simple lack of maturity.

• Like 1