Demons season opener v Saints

dee-luded

We are in trouble.

We are not a good team.

I know some on here thought that Roos would come in like Captain Planet and make thing suddenly work but games like yesterday are going to happen to this team.

It is going to take time - especially with the game plan; it does not suit our playing list because it puts an emphasis, a requirement, on skills and hard and bold running into space.

Our skills are far from refined and our confidence to run to position has been shot by years of being hammered.

The rewards will be swift when skills and confidence are brought into the team by seasoned bodies - but until then - we are not a good team.

If you said that 36 hours ago rpfc the dreamers would have fallen out the sky on you.

Unfortunately you are correct.

2014 is shaping as more of 2013.

It Is looking like a very long year and it is 9th March.

Two years?

I haven't totally given up on Jimmy OD watching him in his junior days he looked like an absolute superstar in the making, i think alot of it is that he is a very emotional young man, it's all about confidence and he needs to go back to the VFL until he is simply too good to ignore

I haven't totally given up on Jimmy OD watching him in his junior days he looked like an absolute superstar in the making, i think alot of it is that he is a very emotional young man, it's all about confidence and he needs to go back to the VFL until he is simply too good to ignore

As Roos said we haven't had the luxury of letting young guys develop in the VFL. Ideally Toumpas would have played last year almost exclusively at Casey, and start this year there aswell until, as you said, his form was just too good to ignore.

As Roos said we haven't had the luxury of letting young guys develop in the VFL. Ideally Toumpas would have played last year almost exclusively at Casey, and start this year there aswell until, as you said, his form was just too good to ignore.

I think you will get your wish this year.

Just thinking of the team i'd take into round 1 i reckon it would be

Lynden Dunn James Frawley Alexis Georgiou

Jack Grimes Tom Mcdonald Dean Terlich

Jack Viney Nathan Jones Jack Watts

Viv Michie Cam Pederson Sam Blease

Max Gawn Jack Fitzpatrick Jeremy Howe

Jake Spencer Dom Tyson Bernie Vince

Daniel Cross Jack Trengove Jordie Mckenzie

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Want to settle the defence, keen to see Jimmy Toumpas and Christian Salem develop in the VFL until they are too good to ignore, and i reckon Jack Viney could possibly play as the sub but i'd start him if they feel he is fit enough

The point is that this 'play the kids at all costs' is a road we have been going down for 8 years and has produced the worst result imaginable. PLay them when they deserve to be in AFL match and increase the chances of winning with a bit of experience. Again, don't rate Byrnes at all but this auto-selection of kids has to stop

Maybe we just had the wrong kids.

Just thinking of the team i'd take into round 1 i reckon it would be

Lynden Dunn James Frawley Alexis Georgiou

Jack Grimes Tom Mcdonald Dean Terlich

Jack Viney Nathan Jones Jack Watts

Viv Michie Cam Pederson Sam Blease

Max Gawn Jack Fitzpatrick Jeremy Howe

Jake Spencer Dom Tyson Bernie Vince

Daniel Cross Jack Trengove Jordie Mckenzie

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Want to settle the defence, keen to see Jimmy Toumpas and Christian Salem develop in the VFL until they are too good to ignore, and i reckon Jack Viney could possibly play as the sub but i'd start him if they feel he is fit enough

Not a convincing looking team, with big question marks on the ability of the big men Spencer, Fitzpatrick and Pederson and with 2 debutants in Georgiou and JkH, we would need a lot of goals from our mid fielders in Jones, Vince etc I will be making the interstate trip to watch the boys and must say I am not full of confidence.

Not a convincing looking team, with big question marks on the ability of the big men Spencer, Fitzpatrick and Pederson and with 2 debutants in Georgiou and JkH, we would need a lot of goals from our mid fielders in Jones, Vince etc I will be making the interstate trip to watch the boys and must say I am not full of confidence.

It's the same deal for the saints though, if Roo doesn't kick a bag i can't see them kicking a winning score, and our midfield is going to be a fair bit stronger

After the last few seasons and the "relax we've got this" threads heading into round 1, I'm a bit nervous about this game. Yes we look better this year and our opponent looks worse but I won't be confident until we are more goals in front than there are minutes left. Any predictions around here that we'll [censored] St Kilda make me even more nervous.

On the Viney thing, I don't think he walks straight into the side just because he's declared fit this year, we have a helluva lot more midfield depth than the past few seasons. He needs to get a run or two into his legs and hopefully he can do that over the next couple of weeks. When up and running there's no doubt he's best 22. Does anyone know if Casey have a practice match in the week between the Hawks game and round 1? If so he's still a chance to press his claims for a spot in the 22 for the season opener. I really can't see Michie missing out if he gets through this week unscathed, he's been very good in the preseason.

I don't think the saints want to finish above 'bottom 2', this coming season... & i think we'll be much better than them with our full list of mids in. Inc' viney off the HFF or bench.

Don't mind you getting excited C&B but I reserve the right to be a bit nervous. We haven't won in round 1 for what seems like an eternity, don't think we've won in round 2 for a fair while either.

Edit: really, f l o g is censored, so i have to type easily beat or win by a fair margin. The auto censor around here is out of control.

and I'm having trouble with 'bolding'... the bold seems to change the Font ?

• Like 1

rule 1 in footy - GET BALL

ya gotta walk before you run (so to speak)

small steps and we are on the right track

nice to have a coach with a strategy that the players can believe in

give it time

Agreed, back to basics, & take small steps, before we get the composure & team confidence in one another, & our game.

Watts will play possibly play deep forward because we'll need him to (for now) The midfield stuff might need to be put on hold for the time being.

A forward line containing Watts, Howe, Fitzpatrick, Trengove and JKH might have to suffice. We'll probably need another tall as well but other than Pedersen, there's not a lot of choice. If we decide to go smaller we may as well add pace - whoever is quickest out of Byrnes, Kent or Bail might get a go. If JKH doesn't play, then 2 of the aforementioned may need to play. Fitzy can do the part time ruck work and he does add much needed pace in the forward line.

It's not ideal but it may work - a lot will depend on how the Saints play. If Watts doesn't go forward we could be leaving ourselves without a functioning forward line. Hard to win when that happens.

Above all else, we need wins to help our confidence and to help reinforce the new game plan. As someone else said in another thread, if the Hawks game was the first of our 3 lead in practice games, our mood may well be a lot more buoyant. All's not lost.

When the Hawks bring their 'A' game, they will slaughter sides other than the top teams. Thank goodness we don't play them until round 20 ... there's at least another 6 games this year where we'll be trying to limit the damage. The rest, we can at least take it up to the opposition and we will win our fair share of games. 6-10 wins as a ceiling but the players and coaches should have no such limit.

We can eke out a win against St Kilda but we'll need Roos to be right on top of his game. He's a top quality match day coach so we can expect him to pull a few tricks.

• Like 2

Imagine if the Hawthorn game was first, Geelong second and Richmond third.

I don't think the most recent performance should represent our entire preseason campaign.

Do you know what, I think the belting we received on the weekend will help us come rd 1- let me explain...

Leading into the start of this season and after our efforts against tiges and cats I was worried we would get cocky or over confident like we did last year against PA.

I feel that this has bought us back down to earth, or reality. The players will/should be going into rd 1 with more of a point to prove now.

Bring on the Saints, I say.

Edited by Wormburner
  • Like 2

Watts will play possibly play deep forward because we'll need him to (for now) The midfield stuff might need to be put on hold for the time being.

A forward line containing Watts, Howe, Fitzpatrick, Trengove and JKH might have to suffice. We'll probably need another tall as well but other than Pedersen, there's not a lot of choice. If we decide to go smaller we may as well add pace - whoever is quickest out of Byrnes, Kent or Bail might get a go. If JKH doesn't play, then 2 of the aforementioned may need to play. Fitzy can do the part time ruck work and he does add much needed pace in the forward line.

It's not ideal but it may work - a lot will depend on how the Saints play. If Watts doesn't go forward we could be leaving ourselves without a functioning forward line. Hard to win when that happens.

Above all else, we need wins to help our confidence and to help reinforce the new game plan. As someone else said in another thread, if the Hawks game was the first of our 3 lead in practice games, our mood may well be a lot more buoyant. All's not lost.

When the Hawks bring their 'A' game, they will slaughter sides other than the top teams. Thank goodness we don't play them until round 20 ... there's at least another 6 games this year where we'll be trying to limit the damage. The rest, we can at least take it up to the opposition and we will win our fair share of games. 6-10 wins as a ceiling but the players and coaches should have no such limit.

We can eke out a win against St Kilda but we'll need Roos to be right on top of his game. He's a top quality match day coach so we can expect him to pull a few tricks.

Macca,

The only way I see Watts playing forward would be a high half forward.

He has had the full preseason training with the midfield.

I don't think ROOS is going to panic and start busting up plans.

well, this afternoon wasn't fun, was it.

the form of the pre-season has been pretty interesting, to say the least, with two pretty encouraging performances followed by a howler, which was the only one i've been at, so unfortunately it's my lasting impression of the start of the year.

watched just short of three quarters today, and i think that the old habits of no defensive running and lack of spread from the contest were back again. definitely a reality check, for the players as much as the supporters. all the regular suspects who just coast through games were back to their worst today. can't see roos playing them if that's how they're going to react to adversity.

one thing seems pretty clear - georgiou will be upgraded.

current best guess squad of 25:

B: Georgiou - Frawley - Dunn

HB: Grimes - McDonald - Terlich

C: Watts - N Jones - Trengove

HF: MIchie - Pedersen - Blease

F: Fitzpatrick - Howe - Byrnes

Foll: Spencer - Tyson - Vince

I/C: McKenzie - Cross - Kennedy-Harris

Sub: Viney

Emerg: M Jones - Clisby - Bail

and i reckon there's about nine players (or eleven if i'm being harsh, and feeling vindictive towards other players) in that lot who i doubt would get a game at any other club.

i don't know how i feel about naming them on a forum like this.

but it's no wonder we have been as poor as we've been over the last seven seasons.

i'm so sick of it.

whoever is chosen in the final 22 for the game against the aints better put in a hell of a lot more effort than i saw this afternoon.

I agree DA, there are a few, even in our current best 22 who still need to be weeded, before we are a top 8 team.

here's my variation, on your current best guess squad of 25:

B L: Georgiou - Frawley - Terlich

H B: Grimes - McDonald - Dunn

C L: Watts - Trengove - Tyson

H F: Viney - Dawes - Bail

F L: Pedersen - Howe - Fitzpatrick

Foll: Spencer - Vince - NJones

I/C: Cross - McKenzie - Michie Sub: Kennedy-Harris

Emerg: MJones - Clisby - Blease

Macca,

plans were to have Hogan FP Dawes CHF and Clark @ FF

Macca,

I don't see it as a panic move Chippy. More of a needs to basis. I heard Jack did play a bit in the forward line against the Hawks - pity the ball didn't get down there that often! But that's against a great team - the Saints aren't great.

We need to win the game - to do that, we have to kick goals. Lets face it, even with Watts in the forward line, it's not exactly star studded. Without him down there, I'm not sure we can kick a winning score against St Kilda.

The high half forward idea has merit though. Against that, he's a good kick for goal and you'd reckon with our improved midfield, the delivery to the forward line will be a lot better.

If it doesn't happen, I won't be annoyed. It's just a suggestion.

the Hawthorn game has killed a lot of the excitement for round 1

Hogan, Dawes and Clark all being out indefinitely doesn't help either

gotta love being a MFC supporter

I get the feeling we will have one of Gawn and Dawes in against the Saints. If they play this week for Casey, then perhaps 20 minutes a quarter against the Saints at FF.

I agree DA, there are a few, even in our current best 22 who still need to be weeded, before we are a top 8 team.

here's my variation, on your current best guess squad of 25:

B L: Georgiou - Frawley - Terlich

H B: Grimes - McDonald - Dunn

C L: Watts - Trengove - Tyson

H F: Viney - Dawes - Bail

F L: Pedersen - Howe - Fitzpatrick

Foll: Spencer - Vince - NJones

I/C: Cross - McKenzie - Michie Sub: Kennedy-Harris

Emerg: MJones - Clisby - Blease

I could see that side with Blease in for Pedersen and Toumpas in for Bail.

Edited by Redleg

The AFL website has had a go at our 22 for round 1. I think it is a pretty good effort. I would use Watts forward when Spencer, Fitz or Howe are off the ground FWIW. I would also consider playing Dunn forward, although he is in good form in defence.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-09/your-clubs-best-22-hawthorn-to-west-coast

Melbourne

B: Lynden Dunn, James Frawley, Dean Terlich
HB: Jack Grimes, Tom McDonald, Alex Georgiou
C: Bernie Vince, Nathan Jones, Jack Watts
HF: Jack Viney, Jeremy Howe, Jack Trengove
F: Jay Kennedy-Harris, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jimmy Toumpas
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Daniel Cross, Dom Tyson
INT: Viv Michie, Jordie McKenzie, Matt Jones
SUB: Sam Blease

The loss of Jesse Hogan because of a back injury is disappointing but it is silly to think he was critical to the Demons winning in round one. After all, he has not played an AFL game yet. The absence of Mitch Clark and Chris Dawes makes Jack Fitzpatrick and Jeremy Howe the key talls up forward. Both are in good form and will test the Saints' defence. Max Gawn, Dean Kent and Mark Jamar will not be match fit and Alex Georgiou deserves his chance although Mitch Clisby and James Strauss will be considered. Jay Kennedy-Harris should get his chance although Sam Blease and Rohan Bail could easily win a spot as a small forward. Luke Tapscott had an interrupted pre-season and Christian Salem won't be ready although he is certainly talented. - Peter Ryan

The AFL website has had a go at our 22 for round 1. I think it is a pretty good effort. I would use Watts forward when Spencer, Fitz or Howe are off the ground FWIW. I would also consider playing Dunn forward, although he is in good form in defence.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-09/your-clubs-best-22-hawthorn-to-west-coast

Melbourne

B: Lynden Dunn, James Frawley, Dean TerlichHB: Jack Grimes, Tom McDonald, Alex GeorgiouC: Bernie Vince, Nathan Jones, Jack WattsHF: Jack Viney, Jeremy Howe, Jack TrengoveF: Jay Kennedy-Harris, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jimmy ToumpasFOLL: Jake Spencer, Daniel Cross, Dom TysonINT: Viv Michie, Jordie McKenzie, Matt JonesSUB: Sam BleaseThe loss of Jesse Hogan because of a back injury is disappointing but it is silly to think he was critical to the Demons winning in round one. After all, he has not played an AFL game yet. The absence of Mitch Clark and Chris Dawes makes Jack Fitzpatrick and Jeremy Howe the key talls up forward. Both are in good form and will test the Saints' defence. Max Gawn, Dean Kent and Mark Jamar will not be match fit and Alex Georgiou deserves his chance although Mitch Clisby and James Strauss will be considered. Jay Kennedy-Harris should get his chance although Sam Blease and Rohan Bail could easily win a spot as a small forward. Luke Tapscott had an interrupted pre-season and Christian Salem won't be ready although he is certainly talented. - Peter Ryan

Terrible forward line, wouldn't expect Toumpas and JkH to have much impact.

Something to do with rubber? Or is he the mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet? :blink:

yeah! thats him..... the Super Rubber Man, who can do all sorts of contorted tricks within a Telephone Box ; & No, he's not related to the Good Dr. Who?

:)