So, where to from here with pick 2?

Whispering_Jack

Why would Sydnbey be interested

Their premiership window is well and truly open forthe next 5 years, so why would they trade an established gun for pick 2?

They need the salary cap breathing space.

This way they get that and maintain a level of list quality.

I must admit to a certain anxiety over what we do with pick two. On the one hand not all extremely high draft picks - 1to 3 - turn out as hoped for. Neither does bundling a few average players for the one high pick. The essendon example of getting Lloyd as a priority pick for a few average bomber players was the best example of a big mistake by a team wanting to build depth quickly. Two average players that play perhaps 5 years at most does not equal one great 10 year player.

I hope we get this one right

I must admit to a certain anxiety over what we do with pick two. On the one hand not all extremely high draft picks - 1to 3 - turn out as hoped for. Neither does bundling a few average players for the one high pick. The essendon example of getting Lloyd as a priority pick for a few average bomber players was the best example of a big mistake by a team wanting to build depth quickly. Two average players that play perhaps 5 years at most does not equal one great 10 year player.

I hope we get this one right

"We've said all along that pick two is a prized pick and it would have to be a very good player or a combination of players for us to give up pick two.

"There's certainly a few that are worth considering." Mahoney

I don't think the club is going to just give the pick away for some "average players". If nothing worthy of pick 2 is put forward then I guess we go with Aish but I strongly believe in what we are doing now. We desperatly need to bring some competitiveness to this team and quickly so we can start developing players properly and Aish isn't going to bring that. We need some experience/leaders that can carry this team forward.

Sure if no reasonable deal is put forward then we have to go with Aish but at least we can say we tried when our team is just as bad next year.

I agree, & that is why i've pushed to recruit a couple of elders & use our picks to multiply our gets, eg P2 for player x + P8 ?

I don't want a thomas

.... get us a Chappy & a Cross, or a Del or an MWhite or Stokes or Ellis or Guerra type? FA's

use some of our picks/players for trades & delisted free agents.

I still want to get 2 earlyish draftees.

"Melbourne was not overwhelmed with offers for pick No.2 but remains hopeful of attracting quality midfielders.

Essendon and Greater Western Sydney have both ruled out trading David Myers and Dylan Shiel, respectively, but Melbourne's Josh Mahoney said they remain players of interest for the club."

No Adams, Rockliff, Swallow, Shiel, Sloane, Shuey or Myers likely ... anyone wanting to go to Melbourne ...it seems no one is interested !!!

Maybe hold pick 2 and see James Aish develop into a superstar. From watching the SANFL Grand Final, he will be elite.

Do you think he'll be as elite as scott thompson? LOL

Note to MFC: do not recruit another sanfl hero, lesson learnt?

But seriously, some may call it an archaic call-back to the tribalism of yesteryear but perhaps Melbourne should be vetting the draft for the kind of reliable, loyal and trustworthy player that is from country-victoria or Melbourne. Even better if that person barracks for a bottom-club so as to make sure the scott thompson saga doesn't occur again. We all have big expectations of the club, but the reality is the best possible REALISTIC scenario is finishing between 9th and 10th within 3 years. Is an interstate kid or a lover of the big-clubs going to stick around another 3 years after his contract is finished???? Melbourne is in a precarious position right now, I don't think they should recruit interstate unless absolutely worthwhile for a few more years just yet.

They've really got to make the right calls over the next decade or that could be it, better to recruit a hard-nut tough in the clinches run-all-day fight-to-the-death player that wants to stay a dee for his life, rather than an insterstate kid that dreams of being the toast of the state where his family-friend attachments still reside.

Anyone else agree? Or am I being a bit pedantic and paranoid ? Scott Thompson would have been our best player for 10+ years if he didn't leave, the kind of player the club could build around, Losing him was a huge huge loss imo - It would be disasterous if it happened again.

Edited by neuromonkey

Do you think he'll be as elite as scott thompson? LOL

Note to MFC: do not recruit another sanfl hero, lesson learnt?

But seriously, some may call it an archaic call-back to the tribalism of yesteryear but perhaps Melbourne should be vetting the draft for the kind of reliable, loyal and trustworthy player that is from country-victoria or Melbourne. Even better if that person barracks for a bottom-club so as to make sure the scott thompson saga doesn't occur again. We all have big expectations of the club, but the reality is the best possible REALISTIC scenario is finishing between 9th and 10th within 3 years. Is an interstate kid or a lover of the big-clubs going to stick around another 3 years after his contract is finished???? Melbourne is in a precarious position right now, I don't think they should recruit interstate unless absolutely worthwhile for a few more years just yet.

They've really got to make the right calls over the next decade or that could be it, better to recruit a hard-nut tough in the clinches run-all-day fight-to-the-death player that wants to stay a dee for his life, rather than an insterstate kid that dreams of being the toast of the state where his family-friend attachments still reside.

Anyone else agree? Or am I being a bit pedantic and paranoid ? Scott Thompson would have been our best player for 10+ years if he didn't leave, the kind of player the club could build around, Losing him was a huge huge loss imo - It would be disasterous if it happened again.

I remember being very annoyed at the time that Scott was not getting a game under Daniher and predicting that he would leave. He was a terrible loss to us that IMO could have been avoided.

Unless we get a superstar midfielder like Dangerfield, Pendlebury etc pick 2 should be off the table. I'm sure the club are smart enough to know this is the benchmark for what you should expect in return. They are just throwing that out there in the hope a club is going for a radical list change. This pick will be used on the 2nd best kid in the draft. I'll be happy with that.

• Like 2

I remember being very annoyed at the time that Scott was not getting a game under Daniher and predicting that he would leave. He was a terrible loss to us that IMO could have been avoided.

He wasn't getting a game because of his injuries

He wasn't getting a game because of his injuries

Disagree. He missed some games with injury but was often overlooked when fit.

It was a major discussion point among some mates and myself at the time.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

The more reports I'm hearing, the more I think it's likely that we'll end up holding onto Pick 2 with our only realistic trade for it being to Sydney for Parker & Smith and if that goes bust then we hold onto it and go with Aish.

Reckon we should focus more on trying to secure Savage & Michie and then adding Cross as a delisted FA to help our midfield depth.

Unless we get a superstar midfielder like Dangerfield, Pendlebury etc pick 2 should be off the table. I'm sure the club are smart enough to know this is the benchmark for what you should expect in return. They are just throwing that out there in the hope a club is going for a radical list change. This pick will be used on the 2nd best kid in the draft. I'll be happy with that.

Couldnt agree more! Either an established star midfielder or we stay in the draft Surely MFC cant bugger this up!

The more reports I'm hearing, the more I think it's likely that we'll end up holding onto Pick 2 with our only realistic trade for it being to Sydney for Parker & Smith and if that goes bust then we hold onto it and go with Aish.

Reckon we should focus more on trying to secure Savage & Michie and then adding Cross as a delisted FA to help our midfield depth.

We're not getting Savage, he'll probably end up at Carlton.

MELBOURNE shopped around its No.2 pick with some extraordinary demands which were laughed at by some of its rivals. One offer which may hold some weight was to West Coast in exchange for midfielder Luke Shuey.

Has Demonland taken over the MFC recruiting department??? ;)

Melbourne is interested in contracted midfielder David Myers, but Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro declared him off limits on Monday. The Demons rummaged about seemingly fruitlessly in finding a satisfactory prospect worthy of a trade for pick two in the draft, with West Coast onballer Luke Shuey raised as a possible trade option but promptly ruled out by his manager.

I doubt very much we will end up trading pick 2 for 2 reasons;

1) No player worth his salt wants to come to us - we are a basket case and even less of an attractive proposition than GWS, even with Roos

2) No club will be willing to part with a proven midfielder with 8-10 years left in the tank for a draft pick to draft another midfielder that they hope will be a "star"

The only way we could do a trade is to convince the player to come to us first by offering stupid money (see GWS offering Heath Shaw $800k/year for 5 years) and then forcing the clubs hand to do a deal. Pick 2 on it's own is basically worthless because we are in effect trying to trade in a midfielder for a pick that will be used on a midfielder.

Chris Judd was traded for pick 3. Media speculating that we would use it one players like luke Parker or Heath shaw have NFI.

He was traded for pick 3 AND Josh Kennedy (former pick 4?) but only AFTER he had already told WCE he was leaving and had an agreement to join Carlton.

He was traded for pick 3 AND Josh Kennedy (former pick 4?) but only AFTER he had already told WCE he was leaving and had an agreement to join Carlton.

I know. All I'm saying is that this is the calibre of players that are expected when trading these picks.

Day one.

Trying to lure a contracted young midfielder will not be a simple exercise.

Day one.

Trying to lure a contracted young midfielder will not be a simple exercise.

our only MO can be cha-ching cha-ching cha-ching in the face of someone to uproot them.

• Like 1

Can we please look past players with no meat and not likely to get a lot. Aish's dna doesnt suggest to me he would stand the crunch too long in the REAL world of BIG MAN"s footy ...the AFL

SANFL isnt the AFL..its a tad better , if, than better VFL.

We've already got one SA lightweight that needs years. Can we get the next Wines please...this time...can we. !!

• Like 2

Ive been having a bit of a think. There is a distinct stigma about coming to us . For a few it doesnt seem a concern but for the many we still are on the nose.

There are in reality only two ways to battle this and there are two fronts to deal with. First there is the clubs we wish to trade with. I think we simply have to bite the bullet here and acknowledge that to get them onside we need to sweeten pots. We have to in effect pay a penalty on most deals. if X "not so stinky" club offer 25-30, we have to trump with 20-25 Keep in mind there is NO value to any pick after its all done and dusted. There's no carry over to 14 . It's about the now. Other than PICK 2 whereby we play hard ball or keep for the ND. All other picks we have to play differently to many clubs. Bit like paying for OS stuff with our devalued dollar. Once we can can our heads around this we then go shopping. We might get only 2 good players instead of 3 under better/normal ( more perfumed ) conditions but we gt some quality. Better some, than none.

The other front is the player. Throw money...lots. As some keep saying we have to pay someone well in the past we've paid a lot of the wrong people this money so why not target a REAL player and pay him...overs if we have to but get him. Better to pay a bit too much than have no one.

if we have to [censored] ourselves to get ahead....so be it. Im over losing all the bloody time

Disagree. He missed some games with injury but was often overlooked when fit.

It was a major discussion point among some mates and myself at the time.

No, you've got it wrong. In his last season with us, in 2004, he played the first 13 games then he broke his foot and was out for the rest of the season.

Ive been having a bit of a think. There is a distinct stigma about coming to us . For a few it doesnt seem a concern but for the many we still are on the nose.

There are in reality only two ways to battle this and there are two fronts to deal with. First there is the clubs we wish to trade with. I think we simply have to bite the bullet here and acknowledge that to get them onside we need to sweeten pots. We have to in effect pay a penalty on most deals. if X "not so stinky" club offer 25-30, we have to trump with 20-25 Keep in mind there is NO value to any pick after its all done and dusted. There's no carry over to 14 . It's about the now. Other than PICK 2 whereby we play hard ball or keep for the ND. All other picks we have to play differently to many clubs. Bit like paying for OS stuff with our devalued dollar. Once we can can our heads around this we then go shopping. We might get only 2 good players instead of 3 under better/normal ( more perfumed ) conditions but we gt some quality. Better some, than none.

The other front is the player. Throw money...lots. As some keep saying we have to pay someone well in the past we've paid a lot of the wrong people this money so why not target a REAL player and pay him...overs if we have to but get him. Better to pay a bit too much than have no one.

if we have to [censored] ourselves to get ahead....so be it. Im over losing all the bloody time

Ok, let me get this straight.

1. You've been thinking

2. Because we are not a desirable destination we have to offer more to a club than a desirable club.

3. Because we are not a desirable destination we have to offer more money to the player to play for us.

Good thinking. Keep it up!

PS: I'd send this advice to Todd and Roosy, it could be a game changer. :)

• Like 2