Trading pick 1 & 3

Wolfmother

I think that mini-draft market was distorted because picks could be offered - that should not have been allowed. GWS couldn't actually use the mini-draft pick themselves but they could use the traded picks.

In addition the mini-draft targets were a year off and possibly less definite. Here we're talking specifically about Boyd, available to play in 2014. And MFC can just opt to take him.

It's going to take a desperate club - Pavlich and Brown are in their twilight and there's daylight 2nd on those lists, they need to act before the sun goes down - how's that for a mixed metaphor?

I would take Boyd and trade some of our other forward options for mids, as 'Bob' says non of the other clubs will give up a star mid for the pick. Lets trade for the more experienced mids and set up our forward line for the next 10 years. You don't let a player like Boyd go.

• Like 3

I don't think clubs will give up stars for pick 1. If you believe GWS nobody would trade good players to them in the mini-draft.

Much more likely would be pick 1 for a mid range mid (say Reddan) and a first or second rounder. I think that's a much more likely scenario.

Then I would keep pick 1 if we got it.

Boyd is being spoken of as a star and 10 year player for whoever gets him. The deal you would want for that pick would be skyhigh. That is why, if GWS have pick 1, they will not trade it unless they get a mighty package in return.

If we get it we should adopt the same attitude.

I would take Boyd and trade some of our other forward options for mids, as 'Bob' says non of the other clubs will give up a star mid for the pick. Lets trade for the more experienced mids and set up our forward line for the next 10 years. You don't let a player like Boyd go.

Agree.

This is a big "if" of course, but if Boyd was say another plugger, would you pass him by because we need mids?

• Like 1

Clark and Dawes are injury prone and on inflated salaries. Not worth much. On your theory you wouldn't trade Hogan. We don't have another power forward.

No team gives away established A grade mids and a player must agree to a trade. A graders are usually very well treated, have a loyalty to their club and don't want to move.

We might get a good young mid wanting to return home but there will be competition and we will have to pay a high price. I think it's a doubtful proposition that we will get what you want and my proposition is more achievable. I also think that fair to good quantity is perhaps better than one quality mid.

Agree.

This is a big "if" of course, but if Boyd was say another plugger, would you pass him by because we need mids?

Yes I would for a quality player like Rockliff or Fyfe - if we didn't have Hogan it would be different story.

No team gives away established A grade mids and a player must agree to a trade.

Of course no-one is going to trade an established A-Grade mid for a pick #1 that will net another mid - - why would you?

No team has offered to trade a pick #1 power forward in my memory - we're in a unique position, having picking up Hogan, Dawes and Clark in recent times.

Money talks - if the trading club wants to do the deal, the player can be convinced but clearly we'll have to pay big time. Roos would be a big positive factor.

I think quality IS important - and we can get more with pick 3. We can round out some quantity with pick 20 and 38 and free agency.

Edited by Fifty-5

Clark and Dawes are injury prone and on inflated salaries. Not worth much. On your theory you wouldn't trade Hogan. We don't have another power forward.

No team gives away established A grade mids and a player must agree to a trade. A graders are usually very well treated, have a loyalty to their club and don't want to move.

We might get a good young mid wanting to return home but there will be competition and we will have to pay a high price. I think it's a doubtful proposition that we will get what you want and my proposition is more achievable. I also think that fair to good quantity is perhaps better than one quality mid.

I wasn't necessarily talking power forward but Watts and Fitz may draw something, Dawes is still an option and I see Clark as a better ruck option that adds to the midfield strength straight up.

Dawes is a problem with injury mainly because he seems prone to soft tissue problems, Clark has just had recurring problems with the one injury (apart from when he tried to kill himself taking a mark) and if he gets over that he should be ok.

Clark and Boyd rotating in the ruck with Dawes and Hogan holding down forward positions looks pretty good to me.

Been going through this all day and thinking what clubs would be willing to do if we got the PP as pick 1, let me know what you guys think.

Pick 1 Luke Tapscott and Pick 3 for Michael Barlow, Matt de Boer or Lachie Neale
Pick 3 and 2nd round pick for Nick Dal Santo and David Armitage
Pick 1 and a 2nd round pick for Liam Picken and Tom Liberatore
Pick 1 for Viv Michie, Tendai Mzungu and Matt de Boer
Pick 1 and Cameron Pedersen for Andrew Gaff and Matt Rosa
Pick 1 and Pick 3 for Daniel Hannaberry
Pick 3 and Luke Tapscott for Ryan Bastinac and Sam Gibson
Pick 3 and Luke Tapscott for Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas
Pick 1, Jake Spencer, Pick 3 and 2nd round pick for Tom Rockcliff, Patrick Karnezis, Jared Polec and Sam Docherty
Pick 2 for David Swallow
Pick 1 and Pick 3 for David Swallow and Dion Prestia
Pick 1, Jake Spencer and Pick 3 for David Swallow, Dion Prestia and Brandon Matera
Pick 3 for Taylor Adams and Adam Treloar
Pick 1 and Jake Spencer for Taylor Adams and Devon Smith
Pick 1 for Bryce Gibbs, Mitch Robinson and Chris Yarran
Pick 3 for Mitch Robinson and Chris Yarran
Pick 1 and Pick 3, Jake Spencer for Steele Sidebottom, Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas
Pick 3 and Jake Spencer for Bernie Vince, David McKay and Richard Douglas
Pick 3 for David McKay and Bernie Vince
Pick 1 and 3 for Dustin Martin
Pick 1 for Ben Howlett, David Zaharakis and Jake Melksham
Pick 1 for Dyson Heppell
Pick 3 for Shane Savage, Isaac Smith and Liam Shiels
Pick 3 and a 2nd round pick for Shane Savage, Isaac Smith, Liam Shiels and Brendan Whitecross
Pick 1 and Pick 3 for Hamish Hartlett, Cameron Hitchcock and Matthew Broadbent

Pick 1 Luke Tapscott and Pick 3 for Michael Barlow, Matt de Boer or Lachie Neale

Pick 1, Jake Spencer, Pick 3 and 2nd round pick for Tom Rockcliff, Patrick Karnezis, Jared Polec and Sam Docherty

Pick 2 for David Swallow

Pick 1, Jake Spencer and Pick 3 for David Swallow, Dion Prestia and Brandon Matera

Pick 1 and Pick 3, Jake Spencer for Steele Sidebottom, Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas

Pick 1 for Dyson Heppell

Pick 3 and a 2nd round pick for Shane Savage, Isaac Smith, Liam Shiels and Brendan Whitecross

Pick 1 and Pick 3 for Hamish Hartlett, Cameron Hitchcock and Matthew BroadbentPick 1 Luke Tapscott and Pick 3 for Michael Barlow, Matt de Boer or Lachie Neale

Pick 2 for David Swallow

Pick 1 for Dyson Heppell

Pick 1 and Pick 3 for Hamish Hartlett, Cameron Hitchcock and Matthew Broadbent

• Like 1

C'mon that was the single greatest first post in Demonland history. It was in the spirit of Pants' Paperclip approach to trade week.

We will not get a priority pick.

You say that because you don't want anyone to diss you for being a Melbourne supporter and call you the AFL's spoilt child because they are [censored] they didn't get a PP for having one "rough" year and finishing ninth.

C'mon that was the single greatest first post in Demonland history. It was in the spirit of Pants' Paperclip approach to trade week.

You're right, I didn't realise.

I will gif the excellenceness of the achievement:

84Pxded.gif

Well done!

And welcome - here is a smile:

cain-smile.gif

You're right, I didn't realise.

I will gif the excellenceness of the achievement:

84Pxded.gif

Well done!

And welcome - here is a smile:

cain-smile.gif

Hahahahahah thanks guys, i am feeling the love :)