Question about Howe

EmineNce-

heres a crazy idea

how about we play him forward?

He is not a midfielder and shouldn t be played there

He is the best mark in the entire comp and should be playing in the forward 50

would beat any player in the comp 8 times out of 10 one on one in the forward 50

• Like 1

heres a crazy idea

dumbest idea on this forum ....get a grip... ^_^

• Like 1

The whole team has had a crap year. He has been one of the least bad. (Apologies to the Jones boys, and Garland).

If he just stays in the forward line, a good defender can block his run at the footy.

Further upfield he can get more space and use his aerial dominance to greater effect sometimes.

It's about adding more strings to your bow and improving as a player, not limiting yourself.

Howe can take a speccy, but will never be a high volume goalkicker.

Brett Burton should be what he aims to become.

• Like 2

Jumping Jeremy is about the only exciting thing we've got going at the moment . My 10yr old grand nephew was an understandably faltering junior member until Howie rang him for a chat in a club promotion .

I would love to see what a good coach could do with Howe.

But in the end it's Howe who has to get there.

I still want Ryan O'Keefe.

I have no desire for another Robertson, as fun as he could be at times.

Harsh on Robbo. Its easy to forget how good he was in his prime. A matchup nightmare for opposition teams, and a match winner. Its his final years that have tainted his image. The game simply changed and he could not. I would love another Robbo. A younger one who could learn defensive pressure.

• Like 1

It's also easy to forget what a liability he was, not chasing his man or doing any of the hard things that win matches.

I think he was a key contributor to the terrible culture we had (of which there were many).

Set a terrible example for the developing kids to follow.

• Like 2

heres a crazy idea

heres a crazy idea

He needs to play high half forward. He has been played deeper second half of year and since then his work rate has significantly diminished as has his impact.
  • Like 6

what don't you understand about a list of players who are simply pathetic and lazy at this level? we turn on the players because they are the ones who do not perform to the basic standards expected of AFL footballers. Frankly I do not understand why the MFC has so many pea heart supporters who do not get very angry at the state of this football club. If Geelong or the Eagles played this poorly everytime they took the field their supporters would be waging war outside the club.

While some of what you say may be correct, there is also the issue that many posters have no idea where to direct their "anger" and simply lash out indiscriminately and often do so with little or no facts. There are always players who become the favourite whipping boys, and then it's the coach, the assistant coaches, the board, the president, the CEO, the trumpeter etc etc ... while it may not be the case in this thread, the main problem is that while one person might make a valid criticism, many will then take that as a cue to jump in boots and all and it often becomes personal - mob mentality. Perhaps demonoid has just had enough of that... and I would have to say I feel much the same.

This is not directed at you Soidee, but I really dislike this "pea hearted supporters" expression... if anything, that probably applies more to the keyboard warriors who continually rubbish and snipe at the players and the club in anonymity from the safety of their homes/offices.

• Like 4

He needs to play high half forward. He has been played deeper second half of year and since then his work rate has significantly diminished as has his impact.

hes a bit like Tarrant used to be... He needs a bit of space to work in

• Like 1

If he just stays in the forward line, a good defender can block his run at the footy.

Further upfield he can get more space and use his aerial dominance to greater effect sometimes.

It's about adding more strings to your bow and improving as a player, not limiting yourself.

Howe can take a speccy, but will never be a high volume goalkicker.

Brett Burton should be what he aims to become.

I'm pretty sure he is our leading goal kicker this year...........Just saying......

It's also easy to forget what a liability he was, not chasing his man or doing any of the hard things that win matches.

I think he was a key contributor to the terrible culture we had (of which there were many).

The lack of respect on this forum towards former players who made this club great is absolutely sickening. Robbo was one of the more entertaining players we've ever seen, but more importantly, he was an excellent footballer, one I'd still kill to have on this team.

Yes. That summed up his final years. Thats why he was let go earlier than he would have liked.

Do you think that summed up his entire career?

Defensive pressure in the fwd50 wasnt used when Robbo started playing fo us. The game changed.

I'm pretty sure he is our leading goal kicker this year...........Just saying......

unfortunately in the year we are having that doesn't equal high volume goal kicker.

Realistically you would expect plays like Clark, Dawes and Hogan To kick more goals than him with the sane amount of games. Howe should then be the icing on the cake, able to play high half forward, drift forward and take third or forth defender (normally shorter players) and kick bonus goals.

At the moment playing as number one forward he is struggling (as robbo food when playing that role). What I was hoping from Howe is that he'd win more of his own ball when floating around the ground; he shows that ability last year but unfortunately it hasn't kicked on. If it doesn't develop, his opportunities will be limited heading forward.

• Like 1

"Leading goalkicker" at MFC and "high volume goalkicker" are two separate things, in my eyes.

The lack of respect on this forum towards former players who made this club great is absolutely sickening. Robbo was one of the more entertaining players we've ever seen, but more importantly, he was an excellent footballer, one I'd still kill to have on this team.

Robbo never made the club great. He provided some great highlights and was a valuable contributor at times.

I don't let that cloud my judgment when he refuses to chase and makes unrealistic marking attempts, then sits on his bum contemptuously as he watches his teammates battle against the number as the opposition run the ball out of defence.

He intermittently and begrudgingly chased opponents at the end of his career, and only after being dropped for long periods, deservedly.

I remember well how desperately I wanted his bad influence gone. Just another who went when it suited him, not when it was his turn.

I don't wear rose-tinted glasses when looking back.

• Like 1

Yep, he had 23 up a few weeks ago and I'm not sure he's added to it.

If he can get back on the park he might be a serious threat to Miller's "breakout" 26 total.

Gezz....All I was saying that he leads our goal kicking at the moment........In an absolute crap year for all our players he hasn't done a bad job as some posters (experts) on here suggest......I would hate to be playing in our forward line at the moment.......but as always someone will want to trade him or delist him, or shoot him...

And as for the crap about our past players.......According to some on here we haven't had a good player since RDB or Robbie Flower.......

• Like 1

The whole team has had a crap year. He has been one of the least bad. (Apologies to the Jones boys, and Garland).

Says lots about our team Monoccular that we grade our players in degrees of "Crap" .

I find myself doing it constantly.

Player X is not as bad as player Y!

Amazing the level we have descended into at the end of 2013.

So true.

Third highest goal kicker in the history of the club !

FFS - Some perspective would be nice here.

• Like 2

Yep, he had 23 up a few weeks ago and I'm not sure he's added to it.

If he can get back on the park he might be a serious threat to Miller's "breakout" 26 total.

Howey actually now has 24, Watto is nipping at his heels with 16.

He has the Goalkicking wrapped up.

A total of 24 would be the lowest since Barrie Vagg in 1966.

Says it all really.

So true.

Third highest goal kicker in the history of the club !

FFS - Some perspective would be nice here.

is an interesting stat isn't it?

He is the 12th most games played for the club, but of that 12 only 2 debuted pre 1986 (flower and Dixon).

He is 3rd in goals, similar in goals and games to one of the greats, G Lyon, but most of us would say Lyon was restricted by injury.

Of the top 9 goal kickers, I'd suggest he was the only full time career forward (apart from fanning who kicked 400 in 100 games, and norm Smith) who didn't move around the park.

He battled strongly as a key forward in the 90s when he should have been the third tall which possibly restricted hos output at times.

I think the biggest problem is he is remembered for not chasing, for not keeping his feet and not doing the team things at times, particularly towards the end of his career, rather than kicking goals. In Robbos case he was a great player but to be recognised as a champion of the club, he need to do those things as well to be a true champion of the club.

edit: spelling

Edited by deanox
  • Like 6