Matt Burgan articles - how do you take them?

FFS, for the love of god, give it a rest. I am allowed to answer a question aren't I. Just said I found him not charismatic enough for camera and even alluded to the fact he looks to be down by the position we are in.

Oh snide remarks are an answer to a question are they? I suppose people swoon with unbridled excitement when you walk into a room? He is a journalist (a proper one), he asks the questions, the people who are answering are supposed to be the important ones, suppose you want him to be more like that [censored] Barrett

Oh snide remarks are an answer to a question are they? I suppose people swoon with unbridled excitement when you walk into a room? He is a journalist (a proper one), he asks the questions, the people who are answering are supposed to be the important ones, suppose you want him to be more like that [censored] Barrett

If I had the time and energy to engage you Sat, I would. But I have better things to do with with my time. Ill let you get back to scanning DL for any remotely negative posts.

Burger does a fantastic job and for all you haters saying he is too positive well obviously none have read the age or herald sun to see we cop enough negative talk already. He is a breath of fresh air.

Plus he was a gun on those phantom drafts! Ever since he left it has gone downhill big time

He does a great job. He is not a journo but is a paid PR employee by the club. Of course he will take a positive spin on things.

We are lucky to have him as he provides a depth of insight into the club for us supporters. Since he has come on board, myself as a member and supporter, has felt far more informed.

• Like 2

He does a good job considering.

I think all AFL writers and club staffers should took a leaf out of American sports media. The NBA has its own media department but their coverage and opinion is simply superb. I rely on NBA media more than ESPN and the other channels. AFL has the same opportunity.

It's all PR fluff, but there should be a balance between objectivity and subjectivity: you need one to have the other, anyway. I think Burgen for the most part is diplomatic in his approach and detailed in his execution.

But yeah, sometimes his stuff can be boring and lack the "pizazz", and I don't rush to read his stuff, which is the problem. Amplification is also important and you need to create broader content that appeases both the hardcore fan and the casual football supporter looking for info on the club. A lot of the club's media stuff doesn't really get shared.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

I think he does a good job considering the situation we are in.

Not sure how he remains positive.

Having said that I seldom read anything on the MFC site any more.

When we actually achieve something like winning a few games I might be more interested.

Like all club sites you get the white wash version.

I use it nowadays to check a few stat's and game times etc.

I generally dont get to the end of his articles.They're generally rehashed versions of his interviews and the other video content on the site.

He tows the company line as you'd expect.

The most pointless aspect of his weeekly content is the team selection chat. Never seen anyone play such a dead bat to questions, and if he cant answer them properly then what is the point of even having the chat in the first place?

What a lot of rubbish Matt what's his name goes on with.... the five things i .... very primary school like ,perhaps demon fans like to be treated like 5 yr olds.

How much are we paying this w.nker, no wonder we are in such debt...

If the team performs badly week in week out the players should be told some home truths not make pathetic excuses. I am sick,sick,sick of his crap reports.

Lets employ a chimp to write reports for the club would be a lot cheaper....

Considering what he has to work with, I think he does a damn good job. It's not really a matter of credibility, as you know when reading his pieces, his task is essentially to shine up a turd.

As an interviewer I think his understated style works well. He's not going to knock Robbo off in the charisma stakes, but he is fine,

He must come close to holding the world record for the most times anyone has said "following the loss against" on screen, as in "I'm speaking to <Player X> following the loss against <Team X>"

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

What a lot of rubbish Matt what's his name goes on with.... the five things i .... very primary school like ,perhaps demon fans like to be treated like 5 yr olds.

If the team performs badly week in week out the players should be told some home truths not make pathetic excuses. I am sick,sick,sick of his crap reports.

And if the chimp is unavailable, they could always employ you.

• Like 2

You are a dead set parrot.

• Like 3

For the wonderfully descriptive posters criticising they obviously don't work in an organisation in the 21st Century

You have heard everybody now call footy an industry, everybody in the 'official' media has to be careful, if you put the wrong thing in the public arens, you can be accused of workplace bullying or discrimation, hence why a lot is vanilla, it is meant for information more than anything else, as I said in previous post don't read it

Edited by Satyriconhome

He answered your question re Magner, there is no LTI so Magner is a rookie again, we elevanted Clisby as the mid season rookie, so perhaps you misunderstood

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is Grimes was put on the long term injury list and Magner was elevated because of this.

Grimes is on the LTI until round 15 so that's when Magner is back to being a rookie.

Matt said there was still 10 weeks to go so he might get a shot, and then I pointed out the above and he just said Grimes would be off the LTI in round 15.

I'm fairly sure I'm correct on this one mate.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is Grimes was put on the long term injury list and Magner was elevated because of this.

Grimes is on the LTI until round 15 so that's when Magner is back to being a rookie.

Matt said there was still 10 weeks to go so he might get a shot, and then I pointed out the above and he just said Grimes would be off the LTI in round 15.

I'm fairly sure I'm correct on this one mate.

I am pretty sure you will find they regard Magner as a back up for Nathan Jones only, so whilst Nathan is fit and fiting, Magner will stay at Casey, Viney is only a week or two away as well

I am pretty sure you will find they regard Magner as a back up for Nathan Jones only, so whilst Nathan is fit and fiting, Magner will stay at Casey, Viney is only a week or two away as well

That wasn't the point. You were saying Magner was elevated but is now a rookie again, and there was no LTI re Grimes.

You're wrong.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-16/magner-promoted-to-senior-list

Also, Jones and Magner played together in both games Magner has played this year.

Edited by stuie

That wasn't the point. You were saying Magner was elevated but is now a rookie again, and there was no LTI re Grimes.

You're wrong.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-16/magner-promoted-to-senior-list

Also, Jones and Magner played together in both games Magner has played this year.

If you must split hairs, I watched Grimes at training today, wouldn't surprise if he makes an appearance for Casey next week, so he will be off the LTI, if not already.

Magner played doz he was in form, think it was when Rodan wasn't, I asked Aaron Greaves at beginning of season and that was what I gleaned from his answer

If you must split hairs, I watched Grimes at training today, wouldn't surprise if he makes an appearance for Casey next week, so he will be off the LTI, if not already.

Magner played doz he was in form, think it was when Rodan wasn't, I asked Aaron Greaves at beginning of season and that was what I gleaned from his answer

No offense mate but you have no idea what you're talking about. The LTI list is a set time frame, they can't come off it early, even if they're fit.

And Magner has been BOG nearly every game for Casey. Has shown a million times better form there than Rodan.

Burger does a fantastic job and for all you haters saying he is too positive well obviously none have read the age or herald sun to see we cop enough negative talk already. He is a breath of fresh air.

Plus he was a gun on those phantom drafts! Ever since he left it has gone downhill big time

Woahhhhh brother. Clearly you didn't read my post properly, where i said i was a fan.

Just sharing my view on his positive spin and wondering what my fellow D'landers feel about it, as this is a forum where discussions/opinions happen.

Go and relax, it's 4:20 somewhere in the world.

No offense mate but you have no idea what you're talking about. The LTI list is a set time frame, they can't come off it early, even if they're fit.

And Magner has been BOG nearly every game for Casey. Has shown a million times better form there than Rodan.

Who really cares about the LTI, it is nearly 8 weeks anyway, I don't personally see why there is so much love for Magner, I never bag players as such, but in my opinion Magner is too one dimensional, I think that is why he finds it so hard to keep his place, he doesn't kick goals at AFL level either and I was actually repeating what I was told by the midfield development coach..... but in the VFL he should star which he does

Who really cares about the LTI, it is nearly 8 weeks anyway, I don't personally see why there is so much love for Magner, I never bag players as such, but in my opinion Magner is too one dimensional, I think that is why he finds it so hard to keep his place, he doesn't kick goals at AFL level either and I was actually repeating what I was told by the midfield development coach..... but in the VFL he should star which he does

No one thinks he's a superstar, but what we can't understand is how we're meant to be building our culture and competition for spots when a guy who is averaging 30+ disposals, 7 clearances, and 6 tackles a game at VFL level can't get a game ahead of players with less form like Rodan, Nicholson, Blease, Byrnes etc. Especially given he has a limited opportunity time wise, and our midfield gets smashed every week.

How do I take them......white with just one sugar thank you......

Sorry, it's Friday afternoon and the dad jokes are starting to come out.

I don't disagree with most of what he said in the article. Yes it could be viewed as being overly positive, but I actually think we do have a solid core for the future, and the addition of another couple of midfielders would make us even better.

Overall, I don't mind the articles, though they do seem to ramble at times. It's just nice to read something positive rather than all the negative newspaper articles.

No one thinks he's a superstar, but what we can't understand is how we're meant to be building our culture and competition for spots when a guy who is averaging 30+ disposals, 7 clearances, and 6 tackles a game at VFL level can't get a game ahead of players with less form like Rodan, Nicholson, Blease, Byrnes etc. Especially given he has a limited opportunity time wise, and our midfield gets smashed every week.

I think that they are looking for a mix in the midfield and they think Rodan and Byrnes bring something different to that mix, again I am with the "I can't quite see what Byrnes brings" school, I regard him as another mistake that was made, I think Rodan showed a bit last week and probably just needs a run at it, he has been in and out of the side, not sure he will stay in when Viney is ready