Re-signing Responsibility

rpfc

During the standard post-match Press Conference, the hot question of Jack Watts was whether he wants to stay at the battling club and the young man answered in the affirmative, pointing out that after being apart of the poor form the club has produced he wants to be around his mates when it all turns around - hopefully sooner rather than later.

The source of that question attempted to ask a rejoinder, and interim Head Coach Neil Craig interjected: "It is up to the Melbourne Footy Club to provide an environment for players like Jack who are coming out of contract to want to stay. That's part of our responsibility," said Craig in a matter of fact way that is a departure from the usual spiel about 'hoping' players stay for they are good players, and resting the world on their shoulders by intimating the club's future is tied to their presence.

"It's the responsibility of the Melbourne Footy Club to get its act in order, to provide an environment, so that when people come to the MFC, whether it be a player or an employee, they have an absolute belief they will be able to be the best they can possibly be," Craig stated with thundering authority.

Craig concluded his remarks by saying "that's just part of our responsibility, so that when it comes (players) signing or re-signing - it just becomes a no-brainer. We need to accept that responsibility."

Whether the club embraces this notion is to be seen. It has long put its faith and hope into young players and placed the denouement of whichever rebuild - the first, second, or third - over the last few years in the hands of boys full of potential and promise - deposed President claimed the 18 year old prodigy Jesse Hogan, playing VFL currently, as the salvation from the despairs of earlier this season.

Hopefully, the club listens to The Craig Principle and stops looking for salvation in its players, but looks to offer them an environment they know will get the most Demonic performance out of them.

Then that hot question will never have to be asked.

rpfc

(Thought I would do some journalism; lots of journalist these days but not much journalism.)

• Like 7

Very good RPFC, I agree wholeheartedly.

...it's quite refreshing to hear NC speak in that manner and likewise to hear that Jack is keen to remain but no doubt the responsibility lies with the club to present a compelling reason to stay.

Problem for us is that I they've been good at presenting a positve plan in the past, just not very good at implementing it.

Jackson was saying this about a month ago and Craig is backing it up.

Craig and Jackson are highly impressive, publicly at least, and it looks like we've got men running the show rather than boys. They look "in charge" in a way Schwab and Neeld didn't.

Like Watts, I want to see this lot of players succeed and hope they stay together as much as practical. Under a good FD they have the making of a good team.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 3

Jackson was saying this about a month ago and Craig is backing it up.

Craig and Jackson are highly impressive, publicly at least, and it looks like we've got men running the show rather than boys. They look "in charge" in a way Schwab and Neeld didn't.

Like Watts, I want to see this lot of players succeed and hope they stay together as much as practical. Under a good FD they have the making of a good team.

Spot on 'Bob', Jackson is very big on this and it must be a breath of fresh air to the players after the way they were treated under the previous admin.

As you allude to, lets hope they back this up in their actions.

I still can't understand why they re-signed Evans ahead of the likes of Watts and Sylvia though. Surely you work out the guys on the more money then look at guys like Evans down the lower end. Might be just me but I though it was strange.

no. the list manager resigns players as they become willing to sit down and discus contracts

he gets approval from both committee and fd, some players don't want to deal , some do

they will allocate a certain amount within the cap for graded players and deal accordingly

• Like 1

I still can't understand why they re-signed Evans ahead of the likes of Watts and Sylvia though. Surely you work out the guys on the more money then look at guys like Evans down the lower end. Might be just me but I though it was strange.

The club can't just decided who to re-sign when. Not with player managers involved. Maybe they knew they could sign Evans early because he was willing to sign early. Watts, as a more established player, may have received advice from his player manager not to sign to early, but to get a good body of work on the field to show his value which might translate into a better contract. Watts hasn't been consistent as a player yet, but is showing more in the last couple of weeks than he has previously. If he continues to play like he has for the last two weeks, then his value in contract negotiations would go up. It's not always in the club's hands.

• Like 1

You can only re-sign those that you can re-sign. If some are stalling, you should not be behoven to them.

And we have so much salary cap space it isn't funny. We will most likely frontload contracts again - unless Jackson has an issue with it. Or we could spend it on FAs and trades...

something really funny.

Craig is now shining with the loss of mark neeld.

I reckon Neeld going could be the best thing that happened to this season and to the MFC.

maybe he is even worse than Schwab

something really funny.

Craig is now shining with the loss of mark neeld.

I reckon Neeld going could be the best thing that happened to this season and to the MFC.

maybe he is even worse than Schwab

Nup, Schwab wins hands down. He had to be first out the door.

• Like 1