Making Bentleigh a more effective base

Swooper Northey

As part of the Bentleigh Club merger a while back, there was discussion that the social facility may be relocated from Yawla St, to a new venue with a better street presence. If that is still under consideration, I would like the club to think more broadly by combining the social facility with a purpose built training venue in that area, making it far more of a home for our club, with a strong community attachment to our old 'zone'.

There remains a solid population of Melbourne supporters in the inner-South East, and given St.Kilda abandoned Moorabbin, there is opportunity for a club to embrace that pocket of Melbourne. Yes, we have a connection to Casey, and that can remain, but the club will never operate out there on a day to day basis.

Bentleigh or other suburbs in that region are close to the city and may offer a training and social alternative for our club, with a connection to our past. A place to call home that genuinely feels like Demonland rather than shared facilities with other clubs.

The local Bentleigh football and cricket clubs are known as the Demons and wear our colours. They do so, and are a fundamental part of that community, but there is no formal attachment to our club. That in itself could provide opportunities. Perhaps it's time we considered the Bentleigh alternative as part of a bold plan to find our feet and grow stronger again.

• Like 1

If we can't do something around 'Richmond' next to the Olympic Boulevard/Swan St training ground "Gosch's Paddock", then maybe the struggling Brighton Bowls club @ Dendy Park could be a possibility worth looking into... great passing trade along Nepean H/Way, street frontage & Patterson Station just a 750 Mtrs away.

But to me the after matches should be at our Social base, so we need to be within Earshot of the "G', & overlooking our training ground.

If any special occasions happen, we can organise something in minutes, & walk across from the MCG...

Dendy St is a good suggestion Dee-Luded.

My fear is that we'll never by able to arrange integrated training and social facilities near the G. If there is a proposal underway to consider relocating the Bentleigh Club, let's think bigger than a place where people can play pokies or eat a Parma. This is a place where we could build a home with ready made local support at the grassroots level. A place where players can train, supporters can congregate, and all parties can mix and actually feel like one club.

• Like 1

Dendy St is a good suggestion Dee-Luded.

My fear is that we'll never by able to arrange integrated training and social facilities near the G. If there is a proposal underway to consider relocating the Bentleigh Club, let's think bigger than a place where people can play pokies or eat a Parma. This is a place where we could build a home with ready made local support at the grassroots level. A place where players can train, supporters can congregate, and all parties can mix and actually feel like one club.

I think they (the club administration back then) tried to have a bet each way,,, by having both the Bentleigh Club & the Leighoak, giving a spread out catchment to customers, & our supporter base.

the BIG Problem is they are not even close to resembling a Club... they are just Hotels, with Pokies... not a scerick more than that.

.... dull & no club atmosphere at all... Who would want to go to those places, except for the occasional Fox Footy game.

We need a Proper Social Hub, overlooking our Winter Training Base, with a station next to the facility.

It has to be near the 'G'. And it could be mainly our Office complex overseeing our Training Facilities,, with a merchandise shop & a large licensed Cafe... Opening the Bar for supporters on select occasions after games & training days.

The Cafe/Merchandise shop should be open office hours, & MCG matchdays, & should offer a selection of hot meals & quick Cafe food & coffee.

# IF we had the Social Hub going, we could also keep running a couple of other outer venues going like around the Moorabbin Junction @ the corner of Nepean H/Way-South Rd, either in the old Moorabbin Hotel site, or across the road in the old Moorabbin Town Hall site. (this is right above the Moorabbin station)...

Keep the Leighoak as it is, if its profitable.

I agree, both current venues are soulless. It's time to create a venue that is well and truly our home. A place that we can be proud of and that will attract people to our club for a variety of reasons. A place that is accessible. For me, I'd love to see this linked to a year-round training facility.

My plan for Bentleigh would firstly involve a radical landscaping of the surrounding suburb using nukes to improve the vista.

We could then build a mega carpark and have a massive drive thru in which pensioners are swiped through according to a microchip placed in their foreheads.

Every pension day we could scan them through the gate and link the computers to automatically debit their funds into their preferred pokie machine (thereby saving coins).

As Australia can expect the median age of the population to rise ,this may be the answer to our social club problems.

I've always found pokies pubs to be such warm and convivial places for people to commune and the conversation is top notch!

We could franchise this idea and place it in different suburbs as we grow ,benefitting and strengthening the community as well as providing the cash to rort the salary cap in order to buy a flag .

I agree, both current venues are soulless. It's time to create a venue that is well and truly our home. A place that we can be proud of and that will attract people to our club for a variety of reasons. A place that is accessible. For me, I'd love to see this linked to a year-round training facility.

The Bentleigh club would have been a good Club, as it was built for the Locals, & they traveled by car in those days.

But as far as a Pokies venue for us, it has no shopfront with passing trade.

It is the type of place to have as a club, but it needs to be in the right location, location, location.

To me, as far as I can see, we are already in a great place @ Olympic Boulevard, but we need the Social club.

Richmond & the Pies will have the best of all the facilities amongst Melbourne based clubs.

My plan for Bentleigh would firstly involve a radical landscaping of the surrounding suburb using nukes to improve the vista.

We could then build a mega carpark and have a massive drive thru in which pensioners are swiped through according to a microchip placed in their foreheads.

Every pension day we could scan them through the gate and link the computers to automatically debit their funds into their preferred pokie machine (thereby saving coins).

As Australia can expect the median age of the population to rise ,this may be the answer to our social club problems.

I've always found pokies pubs to be such warm and convivial places for people to commune and the conversation is top notch!

We could franchise this idea and place it in different suburbs as we grow ,benefitting and strengthening the community as well as providing the cash to rort the salary cap in order to buy a flag .

I hate then things too Biff but this is the way of Australia is at the moment & we have licences.

the club needs a Social Hub where we can gather together as a supporter base. The club will function a lot better when it happens, & will grow, with this happening.

you say Pokie venues are soulless, & I can see our club is currently the same, without the Hub.

We the supporters, are as disconnected, as the Admin is from the footy dept', & the MCC is from the outer...

As part of the Bentleigh Club merger a while back, there was discussion that the social facility may be relocated from Yawla St, to a new venue with a better street presence. If that is still under consideration, I would like the club to think more broadly by combining the social facility with a purpose built training venue in that area, making it far more of a home for our club, with a strong community attachment to our old 'zone'.

There remains a solid population of Melbourne supporters in the inner-South East, and given St.Kilda abandoned Moorabbin, there is opportunity for a club to embrace that pocket of Melbourne. Yes, we have a connection to Casey, and that can remain, but the club will never operate out there on a day to day basis.

Bentleigh or other suburbs in that region are close to the city and may offer a training and social alternative for our club, with a connection to our past. A place to call home that genuinely feels like Demonland rather than shared facilities with other clubs.

The local Bentleigh football and cricket clubs are known as the Demons and wear our colours. They do so, and are a fundamental part of that community, but there is no formal attachment to our club. That in itself could provide opportunities. Perhaps it's time we considered the Bentleigh alternative as part of a bold plan to find our feet and grow stronger again.

I think SN stumbled on a great marketing opportunity without actually realising it.

Yes Bentleigh play as the Demons, but so do also the following Aussie rules teams:

Perth, Surfers Paradise, Timboon, Berri, Boston (USA), Eastern Park (SA), Pennant Hills (NSW), North Hobart, Hope Valley, Wandsworth (UK), Morton Preston (Tas), Echunga, Horsham, Tullamarine, Willunga, Boolara, High Park, Millara, East Launceston, Yarram, Latrobe, Ouyen, Shepparton United, Portarlington, Clapham (UK), Eastlake (ACT), Lokyer Valley, Corryong, Rye, Albatross (Navy Team), Moonta (SA), Bournemouth (UK), Bungaree, Waterford (Qld), Mernda, High Park (Canada), Tuggerah, Otway Districts, Benalla, Tianjin (China), (plus the Norwood Redlegs).

In addition, there are many netball, soccer, rugby etc who also play as the "Demons" in red and blue.

Surely our marketing people can work out an allegiance with the paid-up members of these other Demon Clubs by introducing another membership class [with a discount if they hold dual membership] and building up our supporter base.

I think SN stumbled on a great marketing opportunity without actually realising it.

Yes Bentleigh play as the Demons, but so do also the following Aussie rules teams:

Perth, Surfers Paradise, Timboon, Berri, Boston (USA), Eastern Park (SA), Pennant Hills (NSW), North Hobart, Hope Valley, Wandsworth (UK), Morton Preston (Tas), Echunga, Horsham, Tullamarine, Willunga, Boolara, High Park, Millara, East Launceston, Yarram, Latrobe, Ouyen, Shepparton United, Portarlington, Clapham (UK), Eastlake (ACT), Lokyer Valley, Corryong, Rye, Albatross (Navy Team), Moonta (SA), Bournemouth (UK), Bungaree, Waterford (Qld), Mernda, High Park (Canada), Tuggerah, Otway Districts, Benalla, Tianjin (China), (plus the Norwood Redlegs).

In addition, there are many netball, soccer, rugby etc who also play as the "Demons" in red and blue.

Surely our marketing people can work out an allegiance with the paid-up members of these other Demon Clubs by introducing another membership class [with a discount if they hold dual membership] and building up our supporter base.

this Is the problem with our failing club... & people just can't seem to see it... we are run by numbers people.. thats all they care about...

our problem is we can't hold our supporters as members, because we don't truly care about our supporter base, because our admins & board would all cohabit at the MCC.

this is why they don't get it, because they've got it,,, all of it.

the supporters don't get a fair shake at all from this club...

If we looked out for our supporter base instead of seeing them as Farm Stock, we'd have a stronger club.

People, not numbers, with hopes & dreams & a need for respect & inclusion.

why is it in benteligh anyway?

we are the Melbourne Demons, not the Benetligh Demons. I couldnt give a stuff about that suburb and live nowhere near it.

is there a pub next to or very close to Goschs paddoock? Cos thats where the social club should be

we are the Melbourne Demons, not the Benetligh Demons. I couldnt give a stuff about that suburb and live nowhere near it.

is there a pub next to or very close to Goschs paddoock? Cos thats where the social club should be

the Social club should be on Gosch's Paddock.

Well the Office Complex/Cafe/Shop with function room bar.

We are in Bentleigh simply because we took over an ailing suburban Club which had a pokie revenue. Is has no culture and probably there was never a strategy to introduce a Melbourne FC culture. The same would of applied had we been successful with our ill-fated attempt to start another pokies venue in Fawkner (even further away from the Demon's heartland & supporter base)! Why we cannot negotiate a facility at the "G" or AAMI eludes me?

We are in Bentleigh simply because we took over an ailing suburban Club which had a pokie revenue. Is has no culture and probably there was never a strategy to introduce a Melbourne FC culture. The same would of applied had we been successful with our ill-fated attempt to start another pokies venue in Fawkner (even further away from the Demon's heartland & supporter base)! Why we cannot negotiate a facility at the "G" or AAMI eludes me?

It did have a strong culture prior to its demographic aging.

It was a local suburban club... My Ex next door neighbor was a member there & he & his lovely wife were Saints Foundation hero's...

The clubs demographic aged, & drink driving laws I expect would have had an effect as well.

The point remains, we need to act quickly Re the Bentleigh Club before the recession spreads further around the world.

# The First thing that needs to happen is we should setup a Temporary Social Hub in Richmond by taking out a lease on a licensed premises, start to grow it.

It did have a strong culture prior to its demographic aging.

It was a local suburban club... My Ex next door neighbor was a member there & he & his lovely wife were Saints Foundation hero's...

The clubs demographic aged, & drink driving laws I expect would have had an effect as well.

The point remains, we need to act quickly Re the Bentleigh Club before the recession spreads further around the world.

# The First thing that needs to happen is we should setup a Temporary Social Hub in Richmond by taking out a lease on a licensed premises, start to grow it.

My 88yo father was a member there as well once but now goes to his local pub where he has mates.

Rather than just consider Richmond, there is a vacant [licensed] premises in Wellington Parade in East Melbourne, directly opposite Yarra Yark. It used to be Melbourne's first licensed restuarant when Georges Mora then Leon Massoni ran it as The Balzac and later it was popular as 'Harry's Bar'. It is now empty and waiting for somebody to take out the lease.