Brock McLean article - "Tackling footy's silence on gays"

pitchfork

People's sexuality has no interest for me. It's not about "sweeping it under the rug", although I'm also not interested in people "shouting it from the rooftops". As I said, I'm not interested either way.

Then why do you bother posting on a thread that is clearly about the sexuality of other people?

No ones shouting from the rooftops it's purely a matter of an organization like the AFL having the power to help those that may need it. Now if that doesn't interest you I can understand but why post if it doesn't?

Guest José Mourinho

Okay I'll bite. Explain to me why you think it's a stupid question ...

You want me to tell you why?

Ok, ignoring the fact that it's really a meaningless concept and each individual case is completely different...

The poster you are asking only has experienced it from one side of the argument, and therefore can't give you an accurate judgment.

And in fact, no one has experienced it or is capable of experiencing it from both sides, so no one can answer your question with any sort of authority.

Utterly pointless.

Is this brain dead bogan now the AFLs version of Oprah?? Why does he need to have an opinion on everything and who cares about his opinion anyway?

I was very happy when he donated money to the club but his on the couch form means for me that I would be happy to never hear about him again.

• Like 3

Ok, ignoring the fact that it's really a meaningless concept and each individual case is completely different...

The poster you are asking only has experienced it from one side of the argument, and therefore can't give you an accurate judgment.

And in fact, no one has experienced it or is capable of experiencing it from both sides, so no one can answer your question with any sort of authority.

Utterly pointless.

Yes exactly, I can only tell it from my side of the story and from what others have told me... hence giving more of a personal recount of how it felt for me. And each persons case is different, you'll have people come out at a very young age, happily and accepted, you'll have ppl like me who struggled with it for years and came out later in life, I mean it's a tough one and can only give my opinion based on my experiences, correct. Hence my response was very shaky at best anyway because as if I could tell exactly what it's like for every person who comes out.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Is this brain dead bogan now the AFLs version of Oprah?? Why does he need to have an opinion on everything and who cares about his opinion anyway?

I was very happy when he donated money to the club but his on the couch form means for me that I would be happy to never hear about him again.

I think considering his own sister has struggled with this very concept, makes it fair enough to have an opinion and champion this cause.

I'm just happy someone is.

I still dislike Brock immensely.

• Like 2

Good story and I fully agree with his stance. The fact that it is still something that needs to "come out" shows that we've got a long way to go in our society in regards to acceptance. I look forward to the day when homosexuality (or any-sexuality) is not some big secret we need to muster up the courage to tell our family and friends.

I agree with you Nash, & go further to say I look forward to where we stop pointing the finger at anyone who does something different to the norm, that doesn't cause others injury.

We shouldn't feel shame about anything done, thats in a good, honest & caring spirit.

I feel the same.

But I feel strongly against the persecution of someone because of their sexual orientation, and if AFL footy has the power to change that, I can't see a valid reason why they wouldn't make the effort.

I do not like the AFL having "themed" rounds on social issues. There'll come a time when they take a stance on something that you don't agree with. It's not their place, imo.

I'll agree to differ.

• Like 2

Utterly pointless.

That's some slippery logic you're using right there, Jose. By that token no-one is in a satisfactory position to answer anything unless they have multifaceted and in-depth experience of every side of a particular issue. And you talk about pointlessness!

It is perfectly reasonable to assume in today's society that a member of the gay community moves in circles where there are more openly lesbian people than you are or I have in ours. As such, they are far more likely to by privvy to the thoughts and experiences of said lesbians.

Argument won.

• Like 2

What's with all this self pity thing going around. Anyone who is not normal and I mean average in any sense seems to be crying poor me and wanting what?

Public recognition, public approval,legislation, compensation or public acknowledgement from friends and family?

I can't understand this 'coming out' thing. If you want someone to know of your problem then go to a church confessional (you might even be offered a job there) but leave me alone.

To much time and money are spent on publicising and promoting self aggrandisement.

I have claudication and meet with the hash house harriers each week but I don't make a point of telling other people that is why I come in last all the time.

I have nothing against homosexuals as long as they don't interfere or cause me a problem which is what is happening now.

They are boring me.

Accept what you are and go about your business quietly.

As for Brock; nothing better than any other attention seeker.

Then why do you bother posting on a thread that is clearly about the sexuality of other people?

No ones shouting from the rooftops. it's purely a matter of an organization like the AFL having the power to help those that may need it. Now if that doesn't interest you I can understand but why post if it doesn't?

"Then why do you bother posting on a thread that is clearly about the sexuality of other people?"

Because I have an OPINION. And my opinion is about the AFL weighing in on social issues. It's not their place, imo.

"No ones shouting from the rooftops"

I never said they were.

Utterly pointless.

i thought it was a good question actually.

One of my best mates from school struggled with coming out for years. Nearly killed him.

He should have told us years before. Been mates for 35 years.

Men "coming out" in a Man's Worlds i would guess would be harder, but then women have the "family" stigma.

Interesting Q &A..

• Like 1

Yes exactly, I can only tell it from my side of the story and from what others have told me... hence giving more of a personal recount of how it felt for me. And each persons case is different, you'll have people come out at a very young age, happily and accepted, you'll have ppl like me who struggled with it for years and came out later in life, I mean it's a tough one and can only give my opinion based on my experiences, correct. Hence my response was very shaky at best anyway because as if I could tell exactly what it's like for every person who comes out.

Well done Dan. and congratualations. I hope your living a happy life mate.

I've had some experiences where as a kid I was mistreated by older sister, which caused 'inhibition & social phobia' issues.

minor sexual 'abuse' by sister, & an episode of minimolestation by a sisters girlfriend when baby sitting, compounded by a lifetime of torment & bullying from sister. >>> this led to being bullied in the street,,, to at school,,, to everywhere, on construction sites, until I decided to smack people who tried to abuse me....

then I needed to undergo the hard work of counseling & therapy, to learn & to overcome the huge amount of "arrested development" I'd acquired...

trusting is incredibly difficult at a personal level, & people misjudge you causing further problems. some think I'm gay because I'm affectionate to pets & single :mad:

Still single, & people wonder why!

and I've been in recent years, thru being abused by gay women who see me as some sort of threat!

It's a weird world, & you can't even be left alone to 'just be',, without many people being distrusting of a single large male.

• Like 1

One of my son's friends recently "came out" to his family and they promptly disowned him and never want to see him again, they said as far as they are concerned he's dead to them. His brother and sister are ok with it but his Old School Sicilian parents will never accept it.

I've got the opposite, out of 5 male cousins in our family group I'm in the minority as one of 2 'straight guys'. The other 3 who are gay are the major draw card at all our of family social functions as they are funniest bastards in the fam, love them to death including my brother.

What's with all this self pity thing going around. Anyone who is not normal and I mean average in any sense seems to be crying poor me and wanting what?Public recognition, public approval,legislation, compensation or public acknowledgement from friends and family?I can't understand this 'coming out' thing. If you want someone to know of your problem then go to a church confessional (you might even be offered a job there) but leave me alone.To much time and money are spent on publicising and promoting self aggrandisement.I have claudication and meet with the hash house harriers each week but I don't make a point of telling other people that is why I come in last all the time.I have nothing against homosexuals as long as they don't interfere or cause me a problem which is what is happening now.They are boring me.Accept what you are and go about your business quietly.As for Brock; nothing better than any other attention seeker.

Most gays just want acceptance nothing more, they just want to be treated like anyone else is, is that too much to ask? Reading your post, I guess it is.

Being discriminated in the workplace and many other places is common practice to them but I guess that doesn't interest you and Ben, as long as you're happy with what you've got, stuff em.

• Like 2

I've got the opposite, out of 5 male cousins in our family group I'm in the minority as one of 2 'straight guys'. The other 3 who are gay are the major draw card at all our of family social functions as they are funniest bastards in the fam, love them to death including my brother.

Your mum must be proud..

Most gays just want acceptance nothing more, they just want to be treated like anyone else is, is that too much to ask? Reading your post, I guess it is.

Being discriminated in the workplace and many other places is common practice to them but I guess that doesn't interest Ben

I need to clarify this.

You're accusing me of condoning discrimination in the work place, or elsewhere ? Please confirm.

Guest José Mourinho

I do not like the AFL having "themed" rounds on social issues. There'll come a time when they take a stance on something that you don't agree with. It's not their place, imo.

I'll agree to differ.

If it's effective, what's the issue?

Is it that offensive to your sensibilities?

And if it actually works, should it be?

"Then why do you bother posting on a thread that is clearly about the sexuality of other people?"

Because I have an OPINION. And my opinion is about the AFL weighing in on social issues. It's not their place, imo.

"No ones shouting from the rooftops"

I never said they were.

I believe it is their place, and their actual responsibility.

Clubs are queueing up to align themselves with these sorts of causes too, and for good reason.

Edited by José Mourinho

If it's effective, what's the issue?

Is it that offensive to your sensibilities?

And if it actually works, should it be?

They had "green" agendas a couple of years ago that I disagreed with. The country is now paying through the neck for all this "green" lunacy. It was just another case of Demetriou pushing his left wing agendas.

As I said, I don't believe it's the AFL's place to shove social issues down our throat. You're welcome to disagree.

• Like 2

People's sexuality has no interest for me. It's not about "sweeping it under the rug", although I'm also not interested in people "shouting it from the rooftops". As I said, I'm not interested either way.

This is how society's attitudes change though. There's a (very long) period of ignoring the elephant in the room, then a period of "shouting it from the rooftops", and lastly comes acceptance. I'm quite happy to move from the first period to the second on this issue.

• Like 1

The AFL's job is to do what's best for all of the clubs and the game itself.

What is good for the AFL is to make everyone feel included. Hence they take a lead in many social issue to increase the size of the AFL community. If you want to see how this action has worked, and how inaction hasn't worked, then have a look at Rugby League.

• Like 3

As I said, I don't believe it's the AFL's place to shove social issues down our throat. You're welcome to disagree.

So can I take it that you would like them to maintain silence on drug and alchohol related issues which are, after all, social issues of the highest order?

This is how society's attitudes change though. There's a (very long) period of ignoring the elephant in the room, then a period of "shouting it from the rooftops", and lastly comes acceptance. I'm quite happy to move from the first period to the second on this issue.

I accept you'll be in the majority and I'm in the minority. I don't want the AFL being the flag bearer for social issues. I maintain it's not their place. I'm in the minority.

Edited by Ben-Hur

So can I take it that you would like them to maintain silence on drug and alchohol related issues which are, after all, social issues of the highest order?

Performance enhancing drugs are illegal, as are illicit drugs, so by all means educate the players as to what is allowed and what isn't when it comes to AFL footy. And players won't perform well on alcohol, so that needs to be addressed. Strong cultures at club level indicate that behavioural issues need to be addressed with your playing group. I want our club do educate the players as much as possible to get maximum performance.

But in regards to running social issues I want the AFL to STFU, whereas you, and others want them to have a voice. You want them to take a lead. You like them having a stance on social reform. I get it. But I don't. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough.

I see that in this discussion on Gay rights BH has had 20% of the replies.

:)

Edited by Franky_31
  • Like 1

What's with all this self pity thing going around. Anyone who is not normal and I mean average in any sense seems to be crying poor me and wanting what?

Public recognition, public approval,legislation, compensation or public acknowledgement from friends and family?

I can't understand this 'coming out' thing. If you want someone to know of your problem then go to a church confessional (you might even be offered a job there) but leave me alone.

To much time and money are spent on publicising and promoting self aggrandisement.

I have claudication and meet with the hash house harriers each week but I don't make a point of telling other people that is why I come in last all the time.

I have nothing against homosexuals as long as they don't interfere or cause me a problem which is what is happening now.

They are boring me.

Accept what you are and go about your business quietly.

As for Brock; nothing better than any other attention seeker.

Worst post ever.

You just want the good old days where women couldn't vote and you didn't have to share the drinking fountain with them "coloured" folk...

• Like 2