Melbourne to field stand alone VFL team?

ChaserJ

Guest bluey

Pokies and things will be nice and can earn Millions if in the right place, North Ballarat VFL team kills this trade but they are a bit lucky i feel.

It is a pain for the players, in a way but i would like to see a MFC player at every school in Casey every week if possible, doing sessions ect, this would give us a membership base, and you need to start early preps as a minimum to get them, hard to switch kids, but parents will enjoy having the interaction imo especially if there kids arnt quite into it all yet.

My biggest worry as a MFC supporter is the next generation.......everything else can be taken care of ect but future support cannot be bought with $$$ alone

Young people like to be associated with winners, doubt if kids will jump ship from Collingwood, Hawthorn etc. because some bloke turned up from the MFC.

I would also question how many supporters we have gained via the Casey alliance, particularly cashed up ones., no more then half a dozen I would guess.

The G wont allow anything other than the prescribed contracted games , all in the name of turf management.

A boutique stadium for multiclub use possibly is the answer long term ( And for us as a training base )

Casey is fine for VFL use etc. Its the 'local " team after all.

Let the Scorps die their fiscal death. Demons to rise from the ashes.

You know it makes sense !!

I don't want to go all Nelson Mandella Sprinboks here but even if Melbourne did bail out Casey I'd actually be all for keeping the name Casey Scorpions. Just possibly altering the jumper to look more like ours.

If we do just call ourselves the Casey Demons we run the risk of loosing some of the old Casey/Springvale Scorpions fans.

We can choose the coach ourselves and run the team as a development team, but keeping the Scorpions name might help us hold onto the old supporter base and keep crowd numbers up. Even if we called the team the Melbourne Casey Scorpions may help with that?

• Like 1

I don't want to go all Nelson Mandella Sprinboks here but even if Melbourne did bail out Casey I'd actually be all for keeping the name Casey Scorpions. Just possibly altering the jumper to look more like ours.

If we do just call ourselves the Casey Demons we run the risk of loosing some of the old Casey/Springvale Scorpions fans.

We can choose the coach ourselves and run the team as a development team, but keeping the Scorpions name might help us hold onto the old supporter base and keep crowd numbers up. Even if we called the team the Melbourne Casey Scorpions may help with that?

Casey is all about growth and attracting younger supporters, highly doubt Melbourne front office would be targeting the 200 or so die hard 65 year old Casey Scorpians fans.

I drove past Casey last weekend and couldnt believe the number of additional houses going up adjacent to the Park since I was last there (VFL finals). We need to harness these new families. If the "takeover" goes ahead we need to tie households into a Casey Social Club and develop the younger members of the families as Demon supporters. What about a free three game membership to the families of the newest of the houses (as you drive in to the Park) or alternatively a free membership to the Casey Demons. Saturate the schools, Auskicks and family days at Casey with MFC players. Put a bus on to take families to the MCC from Casey. Make Casey ours.

• Like 3

My biggest worry as a MFC supporter is the next generation.......everything else can be taken care of ect but future support cannot be bought with $$$ alone

If a disproportionately high number of the next generation are going to grow up in Casey it is definitely worth trying to build a second heartland out there. However without on-field success the payback will be relatively small.

I reckon we need to do something to make sure every new arrival in Melbourne is hit with a Demon logo before they get off the Tullamarine Freeway. Don't we have some tie up with Melb City Council now to facilitate that? Again - not worth anything if we don't win matches

Casey is all about growth and attracting younger supporters, highly doubt Melbourne front office would be targeting the 200 or so die hard 65 year old Casey Scorpians fans.

I take it by your ignorant statement that you have not been to a game there????

I'm not quite 65 but I really enjoy going to the footy at Casey.....They have pretty good facilities and there is a great FAMILY atmosphere.......Lots of kids kicking the footy at half time and after the game.....I played against the old Springvale sides and it is a change from the ultra professionalism of the AFL....even though there are a lot of afl players playing.......The MFC should be targeting any supporters that they can....

Edit.....Spelling

Edited by Bossdog

The media has tried to combine this with tanking as another disaster for us. Being forced to start our own stand alone VFL team would do nothing but good for us, and the impact we could make in casey would be far more significant. Bring it on I say!

I guess that's why Essendon and Richmond are racing ahead to join Geelong and Collingwood into there own disasters and WC & Freo are disappointed they can't join the party.

• Like 1

IS the club actually actively pursuing this option?

Hopefully they have seen this coming and have some of the planning in place as it would be woeful if we were to have a dysfunctional VFL partner in 2013. Would seem we'd need to act soon and act decisively to get a Casey Demons alternative up for next year.

Sadly i cannot see "Curtain Raisers" at the MCG.

Too many clubs now use it as a Home venue.

If Melbourne got permission to do it, who would stop the other renters?

I would love to see it but it would take a massive shift in HQ thinking & strategy.

I agree wyl it will not happen at the G.

The cats have 2 games ( Assuming a reserves game ) every two weeks.

The G averages 3 games a weekend.

The MFC reserves will not play at the G on a regular basis ever again.

What about sharing the Richmond ground with the Tigers?

Has anyone been there recently, I was surprised last week when Parked there.

I agree wyl it will not happen at the G.

The cats have 2 games ( Assuming a reserves game ) every two weeks.

The G averages 3 games a weekend.

The MFC reserves will not play at the G on a regular basis ever again.

What about sharing the Richmond ground with the Tigers?

Has anyone been there recently, I was surprised last week when Parked there.

I can remember a few years back now that the MFC reserves side played a game at Punt Rd (12pm game I think), and they televised it on the big screen at the MCG as we were playing at the usual 2:10pm time slot.

I would love for us to take over this club (or whatever we have to do) and be known as the Casey Demons. First things I would do are;

* Get that pokies licence back (somehow), and build a social club at Casey Fields.

* Do whatever favours to whoever we need to to make sure we play some Casey Demons games at the MCG as a curtain raiser to our home games. It would only be for our (MFC) MCG home games. I have no doubt that this would increase our home game crowds, as well as generating more interest in the VFL competition. As it stands, most MFC supporters located west (probably north as well) of Melbourne would not have seen a Casey game due to the location of said games.

We also need a Demon Shop in the city, but that's a different argument.

How good would a demons v pies vfl game before the QB game be?

• Like 1

I can remember a few years back now that the MFC reserves side played a game at Punt Rd (12pm game I think), and they televised it on the big screen at the MCG as we were playing at the usual 2:10pm time slot.

Sounds like a good idea if the Casey thing amounts to nil.

The best idea is probably to take over Casey but would be a good fall back position IMO

Edited by old dee

it would be great & maybe as a once off it is worth a try..but i wouldn't bank on it at all (just QB could be a selling point) hadn't thought of it before this.

Once a year curtain raiser....

I think it is a great idea too, it would be good a good promo for the VFL and great for our young developing players.

Given the time of year and possible bad weather then maybe a fall back position could be to shift to Punt Rd if there is any likelihood of damage the the 'G'

i am taking the blessing in disguise approach, whilst financially it will hurt to get off the ground, fielding our own VFL side gives massive upside to fast track player development. Not only that I live 15 minutes away and there is still massive growth going on in that area, several new housing estates surrounding the ground. Having the Casey Demons means the red and blue can be splashed all throught the school system in the area creating a new generation of demon supporters!

Whilst it is a long way from the Melbourne, the ground is in great condition and the facilities are good on top of that within 2 - 3 years it will be surrounded by a new community of people.

Just hope we can find the money to do it.

I totally agree with you. I live up the road myself in one of the new estates and there is huge growth in Cranbourne.

If we can make this work then we could be up there with the Collingwoods and the Geelongs, that's the way they seem to have endless young talent coming through bt there stand a lone VLF Clubs.

I totally agree with you. I live up the road myself in one of the new estates and there is huge growth in Cranbourne.

If we can make this work then we could be up there with the Collingwoods and the Geelongs, that's the way they seem to have endless young talent coming through bt there stand a lone VLF Clubs.

agree. The Casey area could be as big as GW$ in time. We must stay out there alone. It is ours to develop
  • Like 3

So, I have a suggestion. Over the next 2 years, the AFL work with all clubs and the VFL to implement a new second tier competition which delivers some interest for AFL supporters as well as local community football people.

Firstly, the current VFL model is not working. It is unlikely to work in the future because there is a natural tension between the objectives of the AFL club involved with an affiliate and the objectives of the community based club. Casey for instance did particularly well during the season while boosted by Demons players, then fell away at finals time when Demons players were removed. This is not fair on Casey supporters. It happens all over the league. It is felt again when teams are pushed to play up and coming players in their teams to try to ‘blood’ youngers and prepare them for AFL footy.

Secondly, the Collingwood's of this world are gaining significant advantage by having a stand alone VFL team. They get to control systems, selections, who is on their list teaching and influencing their youngsters and ultimately how the club is managed. While paying for this privilege, it is an advantage to them.

So, why not work toward each AFL Melbourne based team having a stand alone VFL team and keeping the historic community based teams in the league as well. Assuming Casey became Melbourne, it could look like this:

VFL Community Teams: Bendigo, Box Hill, Coburg, Frankston, Ballarat, Port, Sandringham, Werribee, Williamstown (9)

AFL Victorian Teams Teams: 10

Play everyone once plus two byes (one for state game) gives 20 rounds

Why do I think it can work? Surely the AFL clubs will dominate the community club i here you say. Well it’s not as cut and dried as that. An AFL club depending on where it sits in the cycle of its development will have varying focuses. Many of the VFL players an AFL club puts into play will be the next wave of the club, the up and coming talent that need exposure. The AFL clubs may want to also have their rotation players who are vying for a spot in the senior side in the team, these may be older or mid age guys.

The community clubs will have one thing on their mind. Winning. They may not have young emerging talent – but that can bring in 30 year olds without fear of persecution by fans. Its about winning week in and week out.

An interesting element to this would be to see how the match ups between community v AFL clubs. It could create a great atmosphere and for those people involved in local footy, it is a great way to see their local team play against some emerging AFL talent in a competition that can work.

Just a thought. But in my eyes the alignment of AFL to VFL teams is not working and I cant see that it will. Costs aside, it needs to change.

Guest José Mourinho

Not surprising now that Brett Lovett opted out.

If the club was unable to pay players after round 5, it's not a club I'd want to continue an association with either.

Not surprising now that Brett Lovett opted out.

If the club was unable to pay players after round 5, it's not a club I'd want to continue an association with either.

Might return do think if it was the Casey Demons?