I went to the MCG yesterday and liked what I saw...

I liked what I saw from Melbourne, up until about the 15minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

Ignore the second half, just for a minute. We were genuinely matching it with a top 4 side.

There's been bits of that sort of play all season. They're getting longer, they're getting better. We saw a bit of Laydown Sally (points for whoever can work out who this player is; the old man came up with it) dazzle early. We've seen the emergence of Mr Springs for Legs.

Can we just recognise that unfortunately, the [censored] sandwich we have is what we're stuck with to a point, and it's going to change even more come the end of the season?

• Like 1

Guest Rassilon

Yeah, and the other thing is that we need to draft kids who are physically able to compete at senior level in season 1. Too many players we've used early picks on were simply not physically ready for AFL football. Morton, Bennell, Watts, Blease, Cook and Gysberts, etc. Some still aren't ready years on..

Neeld made the comment that it's getting more and more difficult for young players coming through to adapt to the physical requirements of AFL football. I suspect we're not going to see too many skinny kids drafted under Neeld's watch..

Plus they must have the ability to win their own ball yet spread when needed. AFL football is becoming has become a game of roles.

Edited by Rassilon

I liked what I saw from Melbourne, up until about the 15minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

Ignore the second half, just for a minute. We were genuinely matching it with a top 4 side.

There's been bits of that sort of play all season. They're getting longer, they're getting better. We saw a bit of Laydown Sally (points for whoever can work out who this player is; the old man came up with it) dazzle early. We've seen the emergence of Mr Springs for Legs.

Can we just recognise that unfortunately, the [censored] sandwich we have is what we're stuck with to a point, and it's going to change even more come the end of the season?

Great post Striker - my views exactly

Adelaide were an impressive unit yesterday

Right, but look at sides like Geelong and Brisbane the two most succesful teams this millenium. I don't think Martin Pike, Justin Leppitsch, the Scott twins, Voss, Shaun Hart, Alastair Lynch, etc.. started out as rakes. Just like Bartel, Kelly, Ablett, Selwood and co. didn't start out as rakes.

I agree that sides need a variety of different 'types' of players. I mean every team needs a Lewis Jetta or a Sam Blease type to bust through the zones with pure leg speed, but I think we need a 'core' of players who will not get knocked off the football and who can physically impose themselves on all comers. I mean, there is a limit to how much muscle a player can put on. Cale Morton is never going to look like Brent Moloney...

I guess its also part between the ears as well. Some players are simply more determined and more competitive than others..

I agree, which is why I'd like to get Oliver Wines if Toumpas has already gone. Wines and Viney are the type of big bodied mids we need at the club.

• Like 1

I have no idea why I'm bothering, but you choose to pick on Jones of all players?

He is far and away our best player this year and has been superb. The one holding the ball decision that was payed against him yesterday was a complete disgrace. As are you.

agreed Jonesy's good but the matchstick philosophy and grand 5 year plan doesn't convince me. If there was an inkling of something tangible happening my feelings would be different. Players don't seem to have heart, will or determination to play. The Coach always gives the impression he's like a rabbit blinded by car lights. Hardest team to play against...seven day goggles....

The list may not be the most promising in the comp as Voss and Malthouse have suggested but certainly is not the worst.

Right, but look at sides like Geelong and Brisbane the two most succesful teams this millenium. I don't think Martin Pike, Justin Leppitsch, the Scott twins, Voss, Shaun Hart, Alastair Lynch, etc.. started out as rakes. Just like Bartel, Kelly, Ablett, Selwood and co. didn't start out as rakes.

I agree that sides need a variety of different 'types' of players. I mean every team needs a Lewis Jetta or a Sam Blease type to bust through the zones with pure leg speed, but I think we need a 'core' of players who will not get knocked off the football and who can physically impose themselves on all comers. I mean, there is a limit to how much muscle a player can put on. Cale Morton is never going to look like Brent Moloney...

I guess its also part between the ears as well. Some players are simply more determined and more competitive than others..

Another very good post in this thread - spot on KC

I think you will find Neeld is after these sorts of players (per highlighted txt) - I believe this to be our new philosophy and the key characteristic to competitive hard edged teams

I also believe at the moment the MFC lacks an abundance of these players

During last pre-season lifting weights and putting on size wasnt the focus. When Neeld and Mission came aboard they realised how unfit and weak our players were. They got the players doing a lot of running to build some fitness. The fitness that's been developed so far is just a base that Mission will look to build on over the coming years. I would imagine now that the players have a base fitness in place he can now start working on building strength and size and to continue developing their fitness.

Remember that Mission only joined the club nearly 12 months ago, did what he could in his first pre-season and now knows a lot more about the players and how he can help them to take their strength and fitness to the next level. He's regarded as one of the best in Australia so i expect to see big things from the upcoming pre-season and beyond.

• Like 2

Guest King Cuthbertson

Another very good post in this thread - spot on KC

I think you will find Neeld is after these sorts of players (per highlighted txt) - I believe this to be our new philosophy and the key characteristic to competitive hard edged teams

I also believe at the moment the MFC lacks an abundance of these players

I don't know an awful lot about this years potential draftees, but under Bailey it was terms like "foot skills, leg speed, agility" that were focused on. I think, and what I hope the sort of terms we are now honing in on are "work ethic, determination, courage, hard tackling, and leadership"

I don't care if a player can hit a jam tin from 60 metres away and run the 20 metre sprint under 2.90 seconds. If we don't have the right personality make up we will go nowhere. It's a big reason why the likes of Sydney haven't bottomed out in 10 years, its because they tend to focus more on those sort of personality traits.

bring back robbie flower-oh forgot wouldn't fit into your "tree trunk policy"

Yes, Robbie Flower plus other greats like Geoff Tunbridge, Barrie Vagg, Bob McKenzie, Warren Dean, Stan Alves, Ian Ridley, Ian McLean, Travis Johnstone, James McDonald, Adem Yze, Cameron Bruce, Aaron Davey, Brian Dixon and Sean Wight. I'm sure that there are many others that I have overlooked. No, you don't have to be a tree trunk to play footy. You need skill and ability. PS Don't try and tell me the oldies I have mentioned didn't have the physical pressure to contend with. It was rough and tumble in the old days.

I saw a team which has strength, size, speed and skill. Adelaide is what Melbourne should be aspiring to. Even Adelaide's quickest players, such as Dangerfield, have legs like tree trunks. No wonder Watts, Frawley and Tregove were smashed. Comparatively, they've got legs like matchsticks.

And now I think I understand why Mark Neeld brought Neil Craig to Melbourne. Only three Melbourne players were physically the size of the Adelaide players - Sylvia, Sellar and MacDonald. None of them had their primary development years under Dean Bailey and his fitness team. And I thought Sylvia and Sellar could hold their heads up high. Sellar is not the most skilled player but he at least matched his opponents for physical strength and won many contested marks because of it.

Two more years of pain while we build up the strength and size of our players should put us in a much better position.

Two more years of pain......that sounds very familiar.

And, Harcourt, do you have an alternative plan?

I also went to the mcg but didnt like what i saw...except a few contested marks from sellar

Made the trip in from out beyond eltham, got the old man to come in from beyond bendigo and despite freezing off the proverbials we enjoyed the game...then the third quater started and the second half was shite on the whole (pun intended) but it was greens last game so we stuck around to the bitter end much like he did. sat through the expected 3or4 renditions of the crows song, they won they earnt it.

But then as green is doing a little lap of honour the crows song came on again...sickening but it only got halfway through before someone turned it off

as green is about to get chaired off the ground it starts AGAIN...was absolutely disgusted with it, thought it was a massive sign of disrespect and was the worst aspect of the day despute the score!

Would love to know what tool was in charge up there and what his home address and just hope that he cops the whack he deserves

Edited by rolly