Satan

Guest Thomo

What people don't understand is that because GWS failed to recruit players in the middle bracket (22-26 years), they're left with not much. Scully is about all they have. There is no more.

They need to use him as their front man, the problem being that he has no credibility and everything he says is now taken with more than a grain of suspicion. They dearly need someone else to fall their way in the draft.

I don't think that they failed to recruit players in the middle bracket, they targeted younger players who will be in their prime when they are playing finals. How good will Brown and Bock be in the Suns finals sides?

I struggle to understand the bagging that GWS get on this site. Targeting younger players is a much smarter way to build a side.

Thomo...I appreciate these are only my thoughts by Im inclined to think that GWS did indeed target quite a few in the famed 22-26 bracket. These would have provided some form for the side .As it is they didnt land a one and now have a book with two ends and nothing to read of much value in between.

Ive no problem understanding the bagging ... B)

• Like 1

I don't think that they failed to recruit players in the middle bracket, they targeted younger players who will be in their prime when they are playing finals. How good will Brown and Bock be in the Suns finals sides?

I think their inability to attract anyone of any note in the middle bracket is the major reason they went after Palmer, Davis, and Ward.

And why they are giving their "Extravagant Luring Contract" (ELC ©) to a 20 year old with a pedigree as good as his knee is bad.

Edited by rpfc

Thomo...I appreciate these are only my thoughts by Im inclined to think that GWS did indeed target quite a few in the famed 22-26 bracket. These would have provided some form for the side .As it is they didnt land a one and now have a book with two ends and nothing to read of much value in between.

Ive no problem understanding the bagging ... B)

Pendles Kreuzer Martin Swallow Thomas were some who rejected them. In other words the good quality players, they picked up what was left plus Dad's Army. This draft is supposedly shallow and the bulk of their side is to come from it so I can't see them being ready to challenge in a couple of years from now.

GWS targeted many 22 -26 year old but none of them wanted to go to West Sydney Would You?? At that age range you are starting to get settled with your life (girlfriends houses ect) Also the good players at this age range were contracted

Spot on. I was one of those who gave him the benefit of the doubt. I now know I was a naive fool.

Yep me too. I figured that for a young footballer it would be better to stay with a team that was on the up rather than go to an unknown future and plus his family needs; I took him at his word.

If you don't have respect you have nothing and that is fine for some people: they are the ones who make money but lose out on satisfying relationships.

And for Tom..... no respect.

I struggle to understand the bagging that GWS get on this site. Targeting younger players is a much smarter way to build a side.

I too think that there is a major problem with GWS not having players in that middle bracket, not because they would necessarily play in their finals side (if they were ever to make it) but because the young players need leadership and mentoring from that very age group which is vital in setting examples for the young kids to follow.

RS is right. GWS has nobody and I believe it's not for want of trying but rather the players they made overtures to in this age group could not be tempted e.g. Kreuzer, Murphy, Swallow. They now say they targeted only the young but I don't believe it.

At the other end of the spectrum they have old players whose bodies won't allow them to perform the role that's needed. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been dropped by their original clubs.

I'm not bagging them. I simply don't have much faith in the direction they're taking in trying to build a team and what concerns me is that the AFL will keep pumping money and concessions into them until they're competitive. I think that's wrong if the club itself doesn't comply with the most basic of standards.

ELC © ... I like that.

sort of like when Tom speaks he utters Subjects Having Inherrent Treachery :huh:

I am happy to move on, an dI have already said my piece on his character and that of his father.

I just cannot confirm he lied in that presser - it is pure conjecture on our part.

Frankly, whenever the decision was made - it was spineless considering the reasons he has given in the articles mentioned above.

Uncertainty at the club and courage led to Trengove re-signing - the reasons for him leaving are more about him than us.

That may be an insular view but I am not going to hold the MFC responsible for the poor decision of a 20 year and his ethically challenged father.

rpfc i had one foot in your camp all year as you know. I really wanted to believe your side of the fence because you were standing up for Honour, & i respect that.

But after rewatching that March 5 Press Conference again, twice & watching Body Language closely...T$ was instructed on how to manage that speech..He knew then where his future lay. He never spoke to the media again in a Melbourne Kit.

His Body Language (and energy) is all over the place in that conference for the record.

Edited by why you little

rpfc i had one foot in your camp all year as you know. I really wanted to believe your side of the fence because you were standing up for Honour, & i respect that.

But after rewatching that March 5 Press Conference again, twice & watching Body Language closely...T$ was instructed on how to manage that speech..He knew then where his future lay. He never spoke to the media again in a Melbourne Kit.

His Body Language (and energy) is all over the place in that conference for the record.

WYL you have been Captain Hindsight of late and this is no exception.

You are looking through the bias lens of 'knowing the outcome' when looking at that presser.

Look, it doesn't matter as he is gone.

But we didn't know this would happen when we drafted him - nor could we have.

And we don't know definitely his intentions throughout this year.

Sometimes we just have to admit that we just don't know.

WYL you have been Captain Hindsight of late and this is no exception.

You are looking through the bias lens of 'knowing the outcome' when looking at that presser.

Look, it doesn't matter as he is gone.

But we didn't know this would happen when we drafted him - nor could we have.

And we don't know definitely his intentions throughout this year.

Sometimes we just have to admit that we just don't know.

I look in Hindsight because we now know some facts. Before it was hope.

I will forever be pi$$ed off that we blew a number one draft pick on a kid that we should never have picked.

Good Footballer: Yes

Good Character: No.

Both are important aspects.

We didn't do our homework on the 2nd. point.

I will forever be pi$$ed off that we blew a number one draft pick on a kid that we should never have picked.

I am all for holding people to account but I think character insights are overplayed at draft time and lead to clubs passing on a Darling or the like.

The only thing I take from the draft in which we took HWMNBN is that no Melbourne supporter will time-travel in the future - because if one did - we would have chosen Martin...

he'd be better off closing his mouth and letting his football do the talking out on the field

well, that's my 0.02c anyway

He talked about all the support he got from the other players then he disses them by saying one of the reasons he left was because of the disharmony between different groups of players. Oh please you little twerp.

• Like 1

I am all for holding people to account but I think character insights are overplayed at draft time and lead to clubs passing on a Darling or the like.

The only thing I take from the draft in which we took HWMNBN is that no Melbourne supporter will time-travel in the future - because if one did - we would have chosen Martin...

Don't understand how you can say character is underestimated after the last year we had to endure. Character should be a Priority at this club from now on so we are no longer shafted, which we were

Edited by why you little

Halleujah to that rpfc.

Correct

Don't understand how you can say character is underestimated after the last year we had to endure. Character should be a Priority at this club from now on so we are no longer shafted, which we were

WYL I read this differently.

I think he is saying too much importance is attached.

Pick the best player.

Experience of recent time suggests the "Bums" are good players who stay and the Choir boys are anything but.

Perhaps the bums are honest if rough around the edges.

Not sure how you test for someone who has plans to leave not matter what happens in the first 2 years.

To all involved The said palayer had wonderful character and a wonderful family to back him up.

We now know what that back up was.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

"I was a second-year player and I couldn't work out why everyone was constantly talking about me, instead of other players."

This has to be the biggest insult or, if you like a lie.

By what measure can this kid make the claim that he didn't understand what was going on?

Did he not live through 2010 and all of the turmoil that hit Geelong with the constant speculation and disruption to that club throughout the year?

If he wasn't aware, he is either naieve or stupid but for mine, I think he was aware and that comment condemns him more than anything else.

• Like 1

WYL I read this differently.

I think he is saying too much importance is attached.

Pick the best player.

Experience of recent time suggests the "Bums" are good players who stay and the Choir boys are anything but.

Perhaps the bums are honest if rough around the edges.

Not sure how you test for someone who has plans to leave not matter what happens in the first 2 years.

To all involved The said palayer had wonderful character and a wonderful family to back him up.

We now know what that back up was.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing

Did we know this....or were we told this.

Sure i had no idea what would transpire in the 2 years

But he did seem a little odd from day one...and i was no where near the coalface.

i just read both these articles as complete spin & lies...and i think the scent was put out there a long time ago. Call it hindsight if you wish, but i prefer to think of it as having more information.

Which we must always keep close in every subsequent draft day.

"I was a second-year player and I couldn't work out why everyone was constantly talking about me, instead of other players."

This has to be the biggest insult or, if you like a lie.

By what measure can this kid make the claim that he didn't understand what was going on?

Did he not live through 2010 and all of the turmoil that hit Geelong with the constant speculation and disruption to that club throughout the year?

If he wasn't aware, he is either naieve or stupid but for mine, I think he was aware and that comment condemns him more than anything else.

He knew exactly what was going on...these articles confirm that. Possibly even before he was drafted.

Wow - my first post deletion. I wondered if I'd get away with it but it looks like the review panel got me.

What I wanted to say is I find it extremely offensive to hear TS say that the MFC was "great" for him. What a duplicitous statement when he disrupted the joint, misled most associated with it, and let his teammates go out on a limb for him knowing he was probably, if not certainly, heading north at the end of the year.

And then that two faced performance at the airport!

Still I suspect we'll have the last laugh - that line of his about maybe he wouldn't have gone if we'd been playing finals...harumph...enjoy that prospect with your new "mates" Tomito.

Their list is seriously unbalanced and they will be vulnerable to raids in a couple of years - the go home factor from Blacktown will be unprecedented.

Wow - my first post deletion. I wondered if I'd get away with it but it looks like the review panel got me.

What I wanted to say is I find it extremely offensive to hear TS say that the MFC was "great" for him. What a duplicitous statement when he disrupted the joint, misled most associated with it, and let his teammates go out on a limb for him knowing he was probably, if not certainly, heading north at the end of the year.

And then that two faced performance at the airport!

Still I suspect we'll have the last laugh - that line of his about maybe he wouldn't have gone if we'd been playing finals...harumph...enjoy that prospect with your new "mates" Tomito.

Their list is seriously unbalanced and they will be vulnerable to raids in a couple of years - the go home factor from Blacktown will be unprecedented.

Yes..i noticed that comment too. If You T$ had been playing the Football you claim to be able to play, then the MFC would be in a much better position to play finals...You Knew the list was good.

But....You chose the Bag full of $$$$ and not finals....GW$ i do not think will be in finals until i am most old.

So that whole comment does not wash, and i think he actually meant it in a complimentary way towards the MFC....Fail.

I'm as [censored] off as anyone that we drafted him instead of Martin or Morabito - can you imagine Trengove/Martin ripping up the comp for the next 10-15 years? However this was not the clubs fault, $cully was seen as the no. 1 pick a long way out and if we had have overlooked him can you imagine the outcry that MFC supporters would have made?

"I think I wasn't myself , my head was sort of all over the place," Scully said of a troubled 2011 season that included constant speculation over his future and a nagging knee injury that restricted him to 10 games.

That feeling, Tom, is called guilt.

Haha, yep that would be my first pit-stop, right on my to kill Hitler. :lol: