Best 22

chipa

I reckon Cale is the next Chris Judd. just need to get a few pre seasons in to him and he'll dominate with skill and physicality. maybe a bit of Goddard there as well.

Get off the net and put Cale to bed, please...

Couldn't do it to many what if's, opposition, at the G, interstate, Etihad. But I think that may be a good thing I think reputation alone wont get you a game with us next season and Neeld and other coaches will pick teams to beat the opposition not just who are are best 22 players. I don't think Bartram is amongst our best 22 players but showed late last season he may be our best tagger, although if you want someone to Tag a player who runs all day Bail is your man. If Dunn could get back to his 2010 form of being a shutdown player in attack I see Neeld playing him against the likes of Hodge who likes to control the game from Half back flank.

No matter what team people come up with there will be a player on our list we don't have in our best 22 who steps forward when given the opportunity like Martin did this year. At least with spots up for grabs hopefully the competition will make all perform and earn their spots

B: Garland, Frawley, Tapscott

HB: Blease, Rivers, Grimes

C: Morton, McKenzie, Gysberts

HF: Watts, Clark, Sylvia

F: Davey, Jurrah, Green

Foll: Jamar, Trengove, Moloney

INt: Petterd, Jones, Martin, Bail

Emer: J. McDonald, Howe, Bennell

Bartram, Dunn, Jetta and Bate to probably come up for 10+ games as well this year.

I think that's mostly a fan-favourite lineup there. In reality I expect the mature bodies of Bartram, Dunn and Bate might do more than that suggests, but it's reflective of their 2011 seasons.

Is there any point to these? Maybe someone should write up how many appearances everyone's making. Just to see which ones are in EVERYONE'S team (Moloney, Jamar, Trengove, Watts, Clark, etc) and which ones might drop off a few lists...

Out of the 13 (I think, did this very quickly) all posters have these guys in their 22 (I didn't do emergencies, positions etc) : Moloney, Frawley, Trengove, Watts, Garland, Rivers, Grimes, Clark, Jones, Jamar, McKenzie, Green, Tapscott, Sylvia, Martin, Blease. (Tapscott, Blease and Martin the only surprises there, Martin cos of the recent signing of Clark)

Jurrah, Petterd, Howe and Bail made 12. Well done demonlanders on showing the faith with Bail. Likewise Howe and Petterd.

Gysberts made 11.

Davey made 10. A few more than I expected, though it's good to see we're not fickle.

Bartram made 5. Thought he'd get more.

Morton made 3. That post-draft reputation still holding strong. Put his output on just about any other player, and they'd have made no appearances.

Bennel made 1.

No Bate, Dunn, McDonald, Jetta, or Wonna... despite the fact all have shown a lot more than some on the above list.

Apologies for any mistakes. I did this quickly.

I do enjoy the best 22 posts, it keeps off season half interesting. My is as follows

Bartram Frawley Rivers

Garland Martin Grimes

Trengove Sylvia Blease

Howe Watts Petterd

Green Clark Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

Tapscott Gysberts Davey Mckenzie

I like Martin down back, Frawley and Garland are flexible and can man up talls/Smalls, Bartram is that pure small defender. Sylvia needs to change his role to be a midfielder first mid size forward second. I have put our muscle around the footy with Jones/Moloney and Sylvia and added a second midfield to the bench. Trengove and Sylvia can rest deep forward. The best thing is our second 22 the players that miss out and I have our line up as(assuming Maric, Newton, Campbell, Johnston gone as well)

Strauss Davis MacDonald

Bennell McDonald Nicholson

Lawrence Evans Morton

Bate Cook Dunn

Aussie Fitzpatrick Gawn

Spencer Bail Jetta

Add to this our three draft picks and 4 new rookies, expect tthem to be small mid size players.

I do enjoy the best 22 posts, it keeps off season half interesting. My is as follows

Bartram Frawley Rivers

Garland Martin Grimes

Trengove Sylvia Blease

Howe Watts Petterd

Green Clark Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

I like Martin down back, Frawley and Garland are flexible and can man up talls/Smalls, Bartram is that pure small defender. Sylvia needs to change his role to be a midfielder first mid size forward second. I have put our muscle around the footy with Jones/Moloney and Sylvia and added a second midfield to the bench. Trengove and Sylvia can rest deep forward. The best thing is our second 22 the players that miss out and I have our line up as(assuming Maric, Newton, Campbell, Johnston gone as well)

Strauss Davis MacDonald

Lawrence Evans Morton

Bate Cook Dunn

Aussie Fitzpatrick Gawn

Spencer Bail Jetta

Add to this our three draft picks and 4 new rookies, expect tthem to be small mid size players.

I like your tall backline - seems that the good sides do this a fair bit - Pies , Cats and others

The game changed a fair bit this year with more long kicking and taller forward lines ( Cats )

If the trend continues then we need to find more marking options in the forward line - Clark obviously helps but who else have we got that can consistently take contested marks in the fwd line - week in , week out .

Hopefully Howe gets even better and if Watts and Jurrah can learn how to play in front and take some heat then we'll be alright - Green and Petterd are good at times - my team had Martin at CHF cos I think he can handle it - But if Watts can hold down CHF we are cooking with gas .

Blease is definately a wingman and there has to be someone better than Batram in the BP, also like Davey back up forward, he's wasted down back and can't see Neeld leaving him there.

Out of the 13 (I think, did this very quickly) all posters have these guys in their 22 (I didn't do emergencies, positions etc) : Moloney, Frawley, Trengove, Watts, Garland, Rivers, Grimes, Clark, Jones, Jamar, McKenzie, Green, Tapscott, Sylvia, Martin, Blease. (Tapscott, Blease and Martin the only surprises there, Martin cos of the recent signing of Clark)

Jurrah, Petterd, Howe and Bail made 12. Well done demonlanders on showing the faith with Bail. Likewise Howe and Petterd.

Gysberts made 11.

Davey made 10. A few more than I expected, though it's good to see we're not fickle.

Bartram made 5. Thought he'd get more.

Morton made 3. That post-draft reputation still holding strong. Put his output on just about any other player, and they'd have made no appearances.

Bennel made 1.

No Bate, Dunn, McDonald, Jetta, or Wonna... despite the fact all have shown a lot more than some on the above list.

Apologies for any mistakes. I did this quickly.

Bate will play, hopefully Jetta and Bennell won't

Not only have you wrecked the team balance but you have an amazingly tall back line that would get slaughtered against smaller teams. Watts at CHB is not the go, he is only a floater when there. Others need to take his share of the load. What the hell!

B: Garland(Could play wing but doubt it) Frawley Bartram

HB: Blease(rotating with Jones off the wing) Rivers(Martin for chop out) Grimes(rotating with bail on the ball)

C: Jones Trengove Morton

HF: Howe Watts Green

F: Davey Clark Jurrah

R: Jamar Sylvia Moloney

Int.: Mckenzie Gysberts/Tapscott(Dunno who will get the nod) Martin

Sub: Petterd

Emg. Strauss Bate(Cos he is planned to play so they say and is BOG in VFL weekly) Tom Mac.

Unluckies Joel Mac, Jetta, Nicholson, Gawn, Wona

Possibly the most balanced team on paper, the centre bounce line up is tantalising, the backs have a great balance and the half back line is exctitng to say the least. The forward line is finally complete imo, so dangerous when going on all cylindars. The only question mark is the midfield, we are still weak in that area and i would love to see Myles Sewell be our Michael Barlow. Great player and i think is draftable and best 22 material if he can make the cut.

Hey Dee, I love how you claim that is possibly the most balanced team on paper. I just hope the interchange stewards know what to do when Grimes runs off, with the expectation that Bail is going to replace him, but instead, Bail is up in the stands because you didn't pick him.

A bit of variation on the sub... Any ideas on how things could be better than 2011, where we were just about the only team to ever go in to a game with anyone but a fast running on-baller/flanker type as sub, to try and break the game with a late burst of speed. Petterd worked early on, Watts worked for his development, but I don't think we ever got the sub right otherwise...

So, who are the subs? It can't just be the 22nd player picked can it?

This exercise shows how tough it is to pick a best 22. The reality is there are about a dozen certainties and the rest are all in the mix depending on form and opposition.

A couple of things I would like to see next year though are Bennell given the chance to make the small defender role his own. He has great pace and skills but doesn't get enough footy up the ground. But he seems to play his best footy shutting an opponent down.

I would also like to see Grimes start the season as a mid. I think we have enough players in the mix to play off half back, including Garland, Blease, Tapscott, Joel Mac (if he stays), Strauss (if fit), Davey, Morton and some of the younger guys as well. Grimes could be a weapon in the midfield.

Also, would love to see Neeld give Morton a decent opportunity to regain some form and confidence. I really feel like he could be one of the most damaging players on our list if developed the right way given his height, pace and tank. I would hate to see him fade into oblivion over the next two seasons.

• Like 1

The problem with naming these sides is, in my view, we are so literal and archaic with the roles.

I don't know if there is such a defined FF or CHF role anymore.

I think that Clark will play deeper than a CHF but will have someone (Jamar/Martin) in the sqaure behind him. What does that make Clark?

Don't care for labels.

Jamar/Martin in the square. Clark leading out from 30m and Watts and Howe pushing up and attracting the footy. Jurrah and a yet-to-be-determined-small to get the fall of the ball around the talls. Jurrah gets free reign again.

Edited by rpfc

You wreck the team balance when you have too many talls in the one team imo. Essendon are prime examples, West Coast somehow work their way around it. Watts, Martin, Jamar, Clark, Rivers, Frawley, Garland. Come on man, today's game is about a balance of players, this is talking leg speed and height wise, who possess leg speed who are small/medium sized, and the right amount of talls who are either versatile or stay-in-postion KPP in the one team. OR ELSE U R FINISHED against anyone. The wrong balance, too many small/mediums, too many talls and the team balance is *&^%$#! And i think that Watts too isn't just someone who plays like a utility, HE IS a utility. BUT, i can definitely see him lock down in a position this year, CHF being that position. And yeh ur backline is amazingly tall, 2 smalls in the backline, IS THIS SOME SORT OF SICK JOKE, we would get ^&*%$# on if we had 4 talls and 2 smalls, that is a joke, honestly.

You are failing to understand that while our team is stacked with talls, none of them are particularly slow, excluding Rivers and Jamar, and are all incredibly flexible. Frawley and Garland have the ability to play on smalls and talls. Frawley takes Milne and LeCras every time we play the saints and eagles. Watts and Martin are both incredibly quick and can play a variety positions. The rest: Jamar is No. 1 Ruck, Clark, FF and Rivers is the 3rd Backman or is playing loose.

Also I think you need to calm done, it's only October.

Bennell Frawley Rivers

Garland T.McDonald Tapscott (Strauss when fit)

Blease Grimes Trengove

Jamar Moloney Bail

Sylvia Clark Watts

Howe Jurrah Davey

I: Martin Jones McKenzie

There's quite a few names not in there.

Bartram Frawley Rivers

Garland Martin Grimes

Trengove Sylvia Blease

Howe Watts Petterd

Green Clark Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

Strauss Davis MacDonald

Lawrence Evans Morton

Bate Cook Dunn

Aussie Fitzpatrick Gawn

Spencer Bail Jetta

This makes a very one sided intra-club match.

I like this line up though, hard bodies in the middle which is what we really need.