When Tapscott and Davey return...

titan_uranus

...I want to see them played up the ground.

To me, our current defence is doing fine. We're generating sufficient run out of defence with Nicholson, Strauss, Bennell, MacDonald, and Frawley, and then Gysberts, Scully and Trengove pushing back to help out. I also don't think our kicking from defence is too bad anymore (not playing Bartram helps with that). With that in mind, I feel as though we stand to gain so much more from Tapscott and Davey if we play them up the ground.

Tapscott on a wing or even a half forward flank, where I think he played as a youngster, could be a real weapon, a la Chapman. We know he kicks 50+ metres, so he can be a high forward option.

Davey's best football, IMO, has always been when he was a forward pocket, and I'd love to see him go back there, with the direction to chase and tackle like it's 2005. I'd be somewhat disppointed if, when he returns, Davey is put straight back into defence. I'd rather see us put our faith in Strauss to take the kick outs and use Davey as an attacking weapon.

I'd like Strauss moved up the ground when Tapscott comes back.

Let him get some ball and have a few pings at goal, like a Zaharakis, rather than trying to lock down on a forward.

He needs some more confidence to really show his kicking skills.

its going to be interesting, depth will be incredible, barring extra injuries it is tough to drop players at the moment. having said that tapscott will surely play vfl for one week, and then davey will have to play vfl aswell to recover, so still a few weeks off. But i definitely wouldnt mind seeing davey in the forward line then pinch hitting through the midfield, and tappy playing on a forward flank especially due to how good our defence is playing at the moment!

Strauss definitely out.

Then either MacDonald or Bennell depending on team balance for who we play. I personally love what Bennell brings to the table. He just needs to bring more of it.

He really does rack up Heffernan type stats... somewhere between 10-14 touches a week. Had impressive calf definition though did Heffernan, he wasn't all bad.

It's amazing isn't it, just a few short weeks ago we had 11 of our best 22 out and I was fashioning a noose out of my shoelaces... but look at us now!*

*subject to massive mood swing occurring next Friday.

Strauss definitely out.

Agree. Tank for Strauss. I think Strauss is making steps, but is still a weak link, and we're in finals contention now so we need our best team out there. But I think I'd keep Joel Mac, he's been pretty strong down back. Either Bennell or Morton to make way for Davey for mine. But there is a group of runners forming there who should be constantly pressuring each other for spots depending on form, and I have to say based on this year Flash is in it, VC or not. I'd include Include Bail in it too, who is back soon, and Evans and Bartram.

I feel like in the last month we've gained four mids – Scully, Mckenzie, Evans and Nicholson, and now have some respectable depth there, for the first time in years.

I've been thinking the same thing.

I'd play Davey as a forward with - as many players have - some time up the ground. DB has mentioned that he'd have loved to have a Davey in each part of the ground, and with the development of some 'pacey' players in defence and in the midfield I think we might see it happen.

I'm also interested in seeing what Tapscott can do in a more attacking role, as I've mentioned a few times.

Agree. Tank for Strauss. I think Strauss is making steps, but is still a weak link, and we're in finals contention now so we need our best team out there. But I think I'd keep Joel Mac, he's been pretty strong down back. Either Bennell or Morton to make way for Davey for mine. But there is a group of runners forming there who should be constantly pressuring each other for spots depending on form, and I have to say based on this year Flash is in it, VC or not. I'd include Include Bail in it too, who is back soon, and Evans and Bartram.

I feel like in the last month we've gained four mids – Scully, Mckenzie, Evans and Nicholson, and now have some respectable depth there, for the first time in years.

I think Evans is a long way off the rest - fair enough for a rookie - and Nicholson is a fair way off a midfield role at the moment.

I also don't agree that JoelMac is best 22, but he does have some good attributes and there are a few spots up for grabs.

Guest Artie Bucco

I can't fathom playing Joel Macdonald infront of James Strauss at the moment.

Strauss is the future - he needs to play himself out of the backline before I'd be choosing Macdonald.

Keep getting games into Strauss. This is the perfect season to give him pressurised game time. With finals still a realistic chance, we can afford a few mistakes this year. In a few years we won't be able too. Makes perfect sense to me, while waiting until next year when there is a higher expectation makes absolutely no sense.

I think Davey needs to find his Flash again. Play him as a forward pocket with instructions to chase and tackle as hard and fast as he can. It was this element that earned him a spot in the side in the beginning, and it's the element we've most missed from his game recently.

I think the backline can handle having both Strauss and Tappy playing. It might put pressure pn Bartram, but long term I think they are both ahead of him because of their kicking.

McDonald's out, put Tappy in. His kick will be invaluable against the better sides as it was against the good sides early this year. Plenty of trusty kicks in the forward line already.